Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I love the drums in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

sligojoek wrote: »
    On Mature recollection, (Where did I hear that before?) I see the Pogues only had two tracks on that soundtrack. I think there's a few instrumentals out there that weren't used in the film.

Yeah there’s a few outtakes didn’t get used. It’s a good soundtrack and Jem is a truly great songwriter in his own right imo. Spider does a good job with Hot Dogs and Everything, could actually have made a decent Sid if he was able to act.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091954/soundtrack

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Ranking Roger gone now. Only 56. :o
    He was quite a showman if you had to pleasure to see him at work

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2019/0326/1038818-british-musician-ranking-roger-of-the-beat-has-died/

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Hello, lets have a look at some of the shows on offer this weekend. There's a new Beatles Doc on BBC4. It seems to be driven by Pete Best and looks at some of the places which played a part in their early career. Like Mona Best's Cellar, where they rehearsed.

BBC4 and the Red Button have coverage of the 6Music Festival and there's another chance to see the Showband thing with Ardal O'Hanlon. Plus it's an exciting week for Boogie Box High fans as they appear twice on TOTP. I don't think George Michael made it on air, alas ...

Thursday
    7.30pm & Midnight Top Of The Pops 1987 - July 16th (BBC4)
    Peter Powell and Simon Bates present the chart show, first broadcast on July 16, featuring Bananarama, Bruce Willis, Hue and Cry, Kenny G, Mel and Kim, Los Lobos, the Cure, Boogie Box High, Freddie McGregor, Pet Shop Boys and Madonna

8pm Classic Albums: Queen - A Night At The Opera (Sky Arts)

9pm A Little Bit Showband - Kelley (TG4)
    Ronan Collins celebrates the life and career of Kelley, the blonde singer from Cork who became famous for partying as hard as any of her male counterparts and was romantically linked with Tom Jones. And others.

10.15pm Slan Leis An gCeol (RTE1) New!
    A portrait of musician Tony MacMahon, who is slowly losing the ability to play following a Parkinson's diagnosis, revealing how the loss of his creative voice is affecting him

11.30pm Other Voices (RTE2)
    With Delorentos and others. They don't kill themselves publicising the lineup, to be honest.

Midnight Brian Johnson's A Life On The Road - Mark Knopfler (Sky Arts)
    "Loved the Mark Knopfler interview with Brian Johnson- God he's got old looking though- he looked like John McEnroe back in the day, in 1983- John McEnroe nearly still looks like John McEnroe today. MK looks nothing like John McEnroe today- Somethings' wrong here" That review from PlentyOhToole

12.35am TOTP2 - Wham! (BBC4)

1am Dire Straits - Alcehemy 1983 (Sky Arts)
    1983 Concert

1.05am Biggest Band Break-Ups And Make Ups (BBC4)
    Mark Radcliffe looks at the highs and lows of life in a band. He focuses on the creative tension that produces great material, as well as the pressures that comes with success and fame that can pull groups apart.

2.05am Our Musical History - Country (BBC4)
    Country duo Ben Earle and Crissie Rhodes reveal the songs that shaped their musical journey.

Friday
    2pm The Rolling Stones: Sticky Fingers Live At The Fonda Theatre 2015 (Sky Arts)

6.45pm Classic Albums: Fleetwood Mac - Rumours (Sky Arts)

7.30pm & 12.25am Top Of The Pops 1987 - July 23rd (BBC4)
    Janice Long and Simon Mayo introduces performances by Boy George, Atlantic Starr, Judy Boucher, Los Lobos, Errol Brown, Samantha Fox, Marillion, Beastie Boys, Luther Vandross, Shakin' Stevens, Madonna and Boogie Box High in an edition first aired on July 23

8pm & 1.55am A Musical History - Fleetwood Mac (BBC4)
    Contributors including KT Tunstall, Travis' frontman Fran Healy, Toyah Willcox, Sian Pattenden and Emma Dabiri play Fleetwood Mac videos and chat about them

8pm Music Icons - The Grateful Dead (Sky Arts)
    8.30pm Music Icons - The Byrds (Sky Arts)

9pm The Beatles: Made On Merseyside (Sky Arts) New!
    Few dispute that the Beatles defined 1960s music and popular culture like no other band, but how John, Paul, George and Ringo made the journey from Merseyside teenagers to international pop stars is less known. Director Alan Byron's documentary recounts the rise of the band as American rock 'n' roll and rhythm and blues dragged post-war Liverpool into one of the most vibrant music cities ever with the Mersey Beat sound. Pete Best seems to be the main contributor.

9pm & 1am Brian Johnson's A Life On The Road - Mick Fleetwood (Sky Arts)

9.25pm 6Music Festival: Anna Calvi (BBC Red Button)

10pm Peter Green: Man Of The World (Sky Arts)
    The story of the blues performer, who found fame in the 1960s as lead guitarist with Fleetwood Mac, but left the public stage for years as he battled drug addiction and mental illness. Featuring archive footage and interviews with Noel Gallagher, Carlos Santana, Green's former bandmates and the musician himself

10.25pm Sgt Pepper's Musical Revolution - with Howard Goodall (BBC4)
    The composer explores why the Beatles' 50-year-old album is still revered as an innovative, revolutionary and influential release. With the help of out-takes, studio conversations between the band and never-heard-before outside of Abbey Road, Howard gets `under the bonnet' of the album, taking the music apart and reassembling it to reveal how it works. Producer George Martin and his team constructed the album sound by sound, layer by layer - a formula that became the norm for just about every rock act who followed
    It's not on Youtube but Google will lead you to alternative sites where you can watch it

11.25pm Classic Albums: Paul Simon - Graceland (BBC4)

12.30am Video Killed The Radio Star - Fleetwood Mac (Sky Arts)

12.55am Primal Scream - The Lost Memphis Tapes (BBC4)
    The discovery of the band's missing tracks, laid down in Memphis' Ardent Studios in 1993, but subsequently mislaid. The band later re-recorded the songs with a new producer, and they were incorporated into their 1994 album Give Out But Don't Give Up, meaning the originals were left unreleased. With previously unreleased footage of behind-the-scenes studio sessions, this is the story of how the original mix tapes of the album were rediscovered in a basement by Andrew Innes, Primal Scream's rhythm guitarist

2am Bunch Of Kunst: A Film About Sleaford Mods (Sky Arts)
    This was on last week. "I went to see them last month (why not...€25 in, place was packed) and they were absolutely superb" reports dasdog

Saturday
    1pm Elvis: The Early Years (Parts 1&2) (True Entertainment)
    The Jonathan Rhys Meyers TV Mini Series

4.30pm The Beach Boys: An American Family (Parts 1&2) (True Entertainment)
    TV Mini Series. About The Beach Boys.

5.55pm-4am 6Music Festival (BBC Red Button, coverage continues at various times over the weekend)
    Highlights tomorrow on BBC4
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/4btp53Jd15xpB98WRxLTxSx/6-music-festival-2019-line-up

6pm Madness Live At Clapham Common (Sky Arts)

7pm Mastermind (BBC1)
    Someone answering questions on 70s pop tonight.
    He's picked too broad a subject, that's what he's done wrong.

7.30pm The Who: Tommy Live At Royal Albert Hall (Sky Arts)

9pm Isle Of Wight - 20 Greatest Moments (Sky Arts)
    Memorable performances from the festival's history to mark its 50th anniversary, featuring Paul McCartney, the Rolling Stones, Pink, the Strokes, Rod Stewart and Sex Pistols

10.40pm Top Of The Pops 1987 - July 16th (BBC4)

11pm Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert (Sky Arts)
    The 1992 concert at Wembley Stadium in honour of the Queen frontman, which featured performances by David Bowie, Elton John, Annie Lennox, Axl Rose, Roger Daltrey, Liza Minnelli, Robert Plant, Seal, Slash and George Michael. Featuring rehearsal footage and interviews with Queen members Brian May, Roger Taylor and John Deacon

11.15pm Top Of The Pops 1987 - July 23rd (BBC4)

11.45pm The Beatles: Made On Merseyside (BBC4)
    As Friday

11.50pm Pat Shortt's Music From D'Telly (RTE1)
    Handy filler for any empty slot in the schedules

12.45am Brian Johnson's A Life On The Road - Mick Fleetwood (Sky Arts)

**** Clocks Go Forward At 1AM ****

2.45am Classic Albums: Fleetwood Mac - Rumours (Sky Arts)

3am Rock And Roll (Sky Arts)
    Ep 9/10 Excess

4.30am Video Killed The Radio Star - Fleetwood Mac (Sky Arts)

Sunday
    9pm Showbands: How Ireland Learnt To Party (BBC2 NI)
    This was on BBC4 a few weeks ago. The showband was a uniquely Irish phenomenon. It was a movement that saw thousands of young people travel up and down the country in the late '50s, '60s and early '70s to the `Dancehalls of Romance' to be entertained by the Royal Showband, the Miami Showband and Big Tom and the Mainliners, and individuals including Dickie Rock, Joe Dolan and Brendan Bowyer. Ardal O'Hanlon looks back at the phenomenon, examining what triggered the infamous era, the people involved, and its eventual end in the 1980s

9pm Cliff Richard 60 Years In Public And In Private (ITV3)
    A profile of the singer filmed over a six-month period at his home in Portugal, at Abbey Road Studios and at Wimbledon, examining his career highs and lows and his record-breaking longevity. The new series of Line of Duty starts on BBC1 at the same time, might be a tough choice.

9.30pm Se Mo Laoch - Mary Bergin (TG4)

10pm 6Music Festival Highlights Show (BBC4)
    Lauren Laverne and Craig Charles present some of the most memorable performances from the music festival held in Liverpool, featuring The Good, the Bad & the Queen, Anna Calvi, Jon Hopkins and Hot Chip

10pm The Green Linnet - Brittany (TG4)
    Barney McKenna and Tony McMahon visit a Celtic music festival in Brittany, which is marked by a rift between the pair which deepens over the course of the trip. To add to their woes, the cameraman and director have a fight, and the tripod breaks, forcing all the subsequent shots to be handheld

10.30pm Mna An Cheoil (TG4)
    The History Of Female Pipers

11pm Glascheol (TG4)
    Musicians and broadcasters Donal O'Connor and Mary Ann Kennedy present a concert filmed in the Old Fruitmarket, Glasgow. Featuring performances by Declan O'Rourke, Karine Polwart, Macanta, Kate Rusby, Nell Ni Chroinin, Damien O'Kane and Al Lewis

3am Rock and Roll (Sky Arts)
    Ep 10/10 Worship

That Green Linnet show "to add to their woes, the cameraman and director have a fight, and the tripod breaks, forcing all the subsequent shots to be handheld", which is something you don't see in the average billing. All of that series is on Youtube.

As always, do let us know if you have seen anything else worth a look. Or on Youtube. You know yourself, all contribution gratefully received.

There's a chance to see the most on-the-nose use of Van Halen’s “Jump” ever committed to celluloid. this week. That's not my words, that is the opinion of consequenceofsound.net. They are talking about Eddie The Eagle (RTE1 Friday 11.50pm), which features Jump. And it's a decent film, honestly

http://www.vhnd.com/2016/03/17/van-halens-jump-featured-in-eddie-the-eagle/

"It was a good movie and JUMP was used perfectly." says Hot_For_Halen on the Van Halen News Desk. Who am I to disagree ? http://www.vhnd.com/2016/03/17/van-halens-jump-featured-in-eddie-the-eagle/

(The Van Halen kicks in at about 1.48)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Cripsey hell, there's some interesting stuff this weekend.

I'm all over that Howard Goodall yokey. And that Greatful Dead yoke, although the time's not great for me.

Nice one as usual, Skid. Might even watch that film they invented about "Eddie The Eagle", just so they could play some Van Halen.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,658 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Nice one as usual, Skid. Might even watch that film they invented about "Eddie The Eagle", just so they could play some Van Halen.

Here’s an outtake from when they played Gary Cherone-era VH...

MiserableEnragedAmericanbadger-size_restricted.gif

Good to see that excellent Howard Goodall Beatles documentary is being shown again, as I forgot to record it last time :pac:

The other documentary from Pete ‘I’m Not Bitter’ Best will also be interesting. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'm more of a 'Van Hagar' man myself ;)

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I'm more of a 'Van Hagar' man myself ;)

Right now, Welsh Megaman is listening to his favourite Van Hagar song. :cool:

This is a "changed to the billed episode" of TOTP

Has someone been up to no good?

• Advertisement

So who won The Great Beret War Of 1987, Boy George or Ben Volauvent-Parrot?

Skid X wrote: »

Logan?! :eek:

Say it ain’t so :(

Judy is in danger of reaching Nile Rodgers-levels of over-exposure on BBC Four.

:pac:

That Atlantic Starr ****e was always on the Video Jukebox in our local Chipper that Summer.

I think they had it programmed to play when no-one put money in :(

Always fun to sing along with La Bamba after a few pints.

Not having a word of Spanish only enhances the experience.

The episode that the BBC skipped featured Kenny G.

Kenny G!

vwzOC7.gif

Congratulations Beastie Boys, you made a video worse than Marillion’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Gas seeing the Beasties starting out. They went on to be one of my favourite bands.

Shaky? Is everything ok ... ?

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Always fun to sing along with La Bamba after a few pints.

Not having a word of Spanish only enhances the experience.

Sí Señor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Where's that little sh1t Felix from the Tube, thought he was in this video.

Edit: It was 'Open Your Heart', my bad.

He's still a little sh1t.

Was it ever established that this was George Michael singing for Boogie Box High?

Doesn’t really sound like him.

Kelley on TG4, who may or may not have had a fling with Tom Jones.

And there was me thinking Tom remained celibate. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Was it ever established that this was George Michael singing for Boogie Box High?

Doesn’t really sound like him.

Yeah it was him alright, think they sped up his voice a bit Boogie Box High was George's 2nd cousin Andros Georgiou group

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Logan?! :eek:

Say it ain’t so :(
    The episode that the BBC skipped featured Kenny G.

Kenny G!

vwzOC7.gif

As it turns out, the reason why we saw the 23 July episode last night instead of the 16 July one was because of... technical difficulties. :eek: :eek: :D:D

(hums "Spanish Flea" for a few seconds)

Assuming these have been sorted out, we *should* get the 16 July episode tonight. :D:)

For graphics fans like myself, the 23 July episode was notable as it was the last to feature the Clarendon font - which was probably no more popular in '87 than it had been when it was introduced three years earlier. That said, it has probably aged better than the two fonts that replaced it - Times New Roman Bold for the chart numbers and Futura Condensed Bold for the artist names, song titles and closing credits.

28kr2ar.jpg

BBC4 will probably never show any full episodes of it (shame), but we're now close to September and the launch of TOTP USA - which used the same graphics but had the chart numbers, artist names and song titles in Korinna, a font very popular on that side of the Atlantic at the time.

25g5a4m.jpg

Back in Blighty, the next big change to the graphics came at the start of 1989 - which I assume we'll be seeing at some point early next year. We'll certainly reach 1988 fairly soon - particularly with the big jump from early September to mid-October '87, thanks to four consecutive Smithed episodes... :o

Hue and Cry with their anti Thatcher anthem ... while dressed in their Wine Bar Yuppy Suit finery.

King Kenny :D

Oh, how he could play!

I feel as if I should be ordering a bottle of wine right now.

• Advertisement

Your call is important to us, please continue to hold.

Advertisement