Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

"I've been a fool for you lovin' no more
    A fool for your lovin' no more
    I'm so tired of tryin'
    I always end up crying
    Fool for your lovin' no more..."

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I feel as if I should be ordering a bottle of wine right now.

You'll need it before the LLS starts
    Jordan 199 wrote: »
    "I've been a fool for you lovin' no more
    A fool for your lovin' no more
    I'm so tired of tryin'
    I always end up crying
    Fool for your lovin' no more..."

Not watching. Was that not from earlier than 87?

Edit; It was on the Lovehunter album c 80 or 81

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Bruce Willis there earlier with The Temptations as his backing band ... they were looking proper sheepish to be indulging the guy from Moonlighting in his vanity singing.

Hope they got a few bob for their trouble, they weren't credited. Maybe by choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,658 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Mel And Kim double jobbing as Freddie’s dancers!

"Neil, do you want to do the keyboards for a bit?, maybe I could sing a verse? ... Neil? ..."

• Advertisement

sligojoek wrote: »

Not watching. Was that not from earlier than 87?

It was originally released in 1980 and then in 1989.

It was originally released in 1980 and then in 1989.

Just seen that now on wiki. I've never heard the re-recorded version. I kinda got out of "The Snake" after Bernie Marsden and the others left.Not to mention when they went down the flashy MTV route.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Just seen that now on wiki. I've never heard the re-recorded version. I kinda got out of "The Snake" after Bernie Marsden and the others left.Not to mention when they went down the flashy MTV route.

The re-recorded version is very good. Steve Vai did all of the guitar work on Slip of the Tongue album.

I'm not a huge fan of Whitesnake, but I prefer their bluesey stuff.

The re-recorded version is very good. Steve Vai did all of the guitar work on Slip of the Tongue album.

I'm not a huge fan of Whitesnake, but I prefer their bluesey stuff.

I didn't know that. I'll be home in half an hour and have a listen . Thanks.

While we're on about Whitesnake and there's a Fleetwood Mac docu on BBC4 at ATM, here's a pic Bernie Marsden put on FB during the week.
    Here’s a nice photo of me with Peter Green and Peter’s friend Paul earlier this month.
    Peter is in good form, and he made me laugh a lot. I played some guitar with him, and Paul plays guitar with him almost daily which is very good to know. ��
    We talked about old US blues artists, the early days of John Mayall with Eric Clapton, his playing pre-John Mayall, the beginnings of Fleetwood Mac and much, much more.
    It was terrific to spend time with him and seeing him happy.
    Hands down still one of my heroes, but a friend as well.
    BM

54523113_2270616402985543_5343739618955100160_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=982f7c092a5ccd94e53bcd48d06ac5b6&oe=5D50AA46

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Any chance of BBC changing their schedule to stick on a 2-Tone docu or something, as a tribute to Ranking Roger?

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Stevie was pretty hot in her day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Enjoyed that Fleetwood Mac documentary, always makes me think how awful music is these days

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

That Pete Best yoke is on BBC4. In your face Sky Arts.

(Is there some sort of on demand yoke for Sky Arts? I have one if those Sky Go yokes these days)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Stevie was pretty hot in her day.
    Rock A Little is a great album too

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    That Pete Best yoke is on BBC4. In your face Sky Arts.

(Is there some sort of on demand yoke for Sky Arts? I have one if those Sky Go yokes these days)

There is on Sky, I think. You can download some shows

Poor auld Pete, still making a crust out of that shower that sacked him.

I didn't see it, but I remember this play being advertised years ago where Pete made it huge and the others flopped, sounds like fun

BEST!, a comedy play written by Liverpool playwright Fred Lawless, was staged at the Liverpool Everyman Theatre and the Dublin Theatre Festival in 1995 and 1996. The play, which was mainly fiction, showed a scenario where after Pete Best's sacking, he went on to become a world-famous rock superstar while his ex-group struggled as one hit wonders. The play was critically acclaimed in both the Liverpool Echo and also in Spencer Leigh's 1998 book Drummed Out : The Sacking of Pete Best.[99]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Best#Theatre

Graceland really is an exceptional album.

Must dig it out tomorrow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

This is the context of music in South Afria https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_City_(song)

Graceland came from the opposite direction

This is the context of music in South Afria https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_City_(song)

Graceland came from the opposite direction

Great, thanks. Will watch that.

Meanwhile, Paul Simon appears to be approaching charisma from the opposite direction. Or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

This Primal Scream in Memphis documentary is just wonderful. Amidst all the hard drugs and other crazy carry-on, those white lads from Glasgow channelled the 60s/70s blues, soul and rock n roll of the southern US simply beautifully in the 90s.

• Advertisement

Just watched ‘The Beatles: Made On Merseyside’ documentary that was on BBC Four last night...

FAB! GEAR! etc.

Crazy to think that die-hard Buddy Holly fans John, Paul and George didn’t go to see him perform live when he actually came to Liverpool, yet every other band on the scene did!

:eek:

And pity poor Joe Flanerry who threw the majority of John’s discarded lyrics into the fireplace.

:eek: :eek:

Pete Best?

Meh, he’s no Andy White :D

Highlights from this years 6Music festival on BBC Four right now.

The soothing sounds of Idles to relax you on this Sunday evening. :)

Hello, new to your screens this week on Sky Arts is a Pulp Documentary from their comeback tour a few years back. They have a Pulp concert and some Oasis and Suede to keep the Britpop vibe going.

Sky also has some repeats of the Urban Myths shows, ahead of a new series starting next Wednesday. More news of that next week. BBC4 have a few decent repeats but there's not a lot of programming and the Friday TOTP is dropped in favour of England v Canada Womens Football. Oh well ...

Thursday
    6am 6Music Festival Highlights (BBC Red Button, repeated for most of the weekend)

3pm Music Icons - The Grateful Dead (Sky Arts)
    3.30pm Music Icons - The Byrds (Sky Arts)

7.30pm & Midnight Top Of The Pops 1987 - July 30 (BBC4)
    Gary Davies presents the chart show, first broadcast on July 30, featuring Hue and Cry, Heart, Freddie McGregor, Bananarama, Stock Aitken Waterman, Spagna, the Gap Band, New Order, Marillion, Los Lobos and the Beastie Boys

9pm A Little Bit Showband - Danny Ellis (TG4)
    The story of Danny Ellis, who tried to use his popularity as a singer and trombonist on the showband circuit to escape the pain caused by his traumatic childhood in an orphanage, but found that he needed to confront his past in his songs

11.30pm Other Voices (RTE2)
    No idea who's on, to be honest

12.15am Brian Johnson's A Life On The Road - With Mick Fleetwood (Sky Arts)

1.15am Madness - Live At House Of Common (Sky Arts)

Friday
    7pm Too Young To Die - Kurt Cobain (Sky Arts)

8pm Music Icons - Neil Diamond (Sky Arts)
    8.30pm Music Icons - The Yardbirds (Sky Arts)

8.30pm Fleadh Cheoil (RTE1) New!
    New series. The first programme in a new series from Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann, coming from Drogheda, Co Louth for the first time ever, is presented by John Creedon and Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh. The programme features music from Drogheda native Zoe Conway as well as Tommy Fitzharris and Donal McCague, Roisin O'Flaherty and friends, Spleodar and Teada. I think this is from last year.

9pm & 12.15am Brian Johnson's A Life On The Road - Joe Walsh From The Eagles (Sky Arts)

9.15pm Tales From The Tour Bus - Rock n Roll On The Road (BBC4)
    Rick Wakeman offers a first-hand account of rockers on the road from the late 1950s onwards, recalling the golden age of touring - a secret history of transport cafes, transit vans, B&Bs, sleepless roadies and loved ones left at home. With contributions by Suzi Quatro and members of Dr Feelgood, the Shadows, the Pretty Things, Fairport Convention, Happy Mondays, Aswad, Girlschool and the Damned

10pm Legends Of The Canyon (Sky Arts)
    Documentary exploring the musical legacy of Laurel Canyon, a Los Angeles neighbourhood home to musicians including Joni Mitchell, Buffalo Springfield and Crosby, Stills and Nash
    There's a trailer for it here https://www.traileraddict.com/legends-of-the-canyon/trailer

10.15pm Rock N Roll Guns For Hire - The Story Of The Sidemen (BBC4)
    Earl Slick, David Bowie's sideman of 40 years, looks at the men and women behind some of the greatest songs of the 20th and 21st century. The sidemen are often the forgotten `guns for hire' that changed musical history and this documentary reveals what it feels like to live in the shadow of a star, a story of triumph and thwarted ambition. Contributors include Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Billy Joel, as well as sidemen past and present for Prince, David Bowie, John Lennon, Otis Redding, the Rolling Stones and Beyonce
    Not On Youtube, apparently.

11.45pm TOTP2 - Genesis (BBC4)

12.30am Other Voices (RTE2)

1.15am The Who - Tommy Live At The Royal Albert Hall (Sky Arts)

Saturday
    4pm Video Killed The Radio Star - George Michael (Sky Arts)

6pm Beatles Stories (Sky Arts)
    Those who knew or brushed shoulders with the Beatles reveal their personal encounters with the Fab Four in Seth Swirsky's documentary. Fans reveal how they found themselves playing Monopoly with George Harrison, eating beans on toast with Ringo Starr, drinking rum with John Lennon and performing with a Beatles tribute band in front of producer George Martin.

7pm-9pm Guitar Heroes at the BBC (Yesterday)
    Archive footage of guitarists taken from BBC music shows of the 1970s. Includes electric performances by Carlos Santana, Mark Knopfler, Peter Green and the Edge, and acoustic material by John Martyn, John Renbourn, Bert Jansch and Paco Pena, Jimi Hendrix, Pete Townshend, Fleetwood Mac, AC/DC, Thin Lizzy, the Jam and Free

7.45pm Oasis Live At Barrowlands (Sky Arts)
    2001 Concert

9pm Pulp: A Film About Life, Death and Supermarkets (Sky Arts) New!
    Premiere. Documentary following Jarvis Cocker's band as they return to their Sheffield roots for their farewell concert in 2012. The film features footage from the performance and interviews with the group, as well as contributions from residents of the city, who share their thoughts on life, love and music, and perform their own rendition of Pulp's hits

10pm An Audience With Kylie Minogue (VM2)
    featuring Kermit The Frog

10.45pm Pulp Live (Sky Arts)
    Brixton Academy

10.55pm Top Of The Pops 1987 - July 30 (BBC4)
    As Thursday

11.25pm EMI - The Inside Story (BBC4)
    A profile of the record company behind whose success lay a very British institution, often at odds with the music it released. EMI had to come to terms with psychedelia, face punk head on and find huge sums of money to feed the excesses of the 1980s. Contributors include Neil Tennant, Glen Matlock, Roger Taylor and Nick Mason

11.45pm Suede - The Insatiable Ones (Sky Arts)
    Documentary offering a thematic exploration of a band who opened the door for Britpop and led the way for a new era of guitar bands
    Trailer

Midnight Elton John - The Nation's Favourite Song (VM1)

12.25am Chalkie Davies - Rock Photographer (BBC4)
    Documentary following the preparations for the former New Musical Express photographer's first major exhibition at the National Museum of Wales in Cardiff. Chalkie, who became a favourite among punk and new wave bands such as the Clash, the Specials and Squeeze, looks back on an extraordinary life behind the camera, while old friends including Elvis Costello reflect on how his images have proved so enduring

2am Brian Johnson's A Life On The Road - Joe Walsh From The Eagles (Sky Arts)

2am The Life Of Rock with Brian Pern (GOLD)
    It's very good, honestly

Sunday
    3.15pm Concert For George (Sky Arts)
    A special tribute concert for George Harrison filmed at the Royal Albert Hall, and featuring surviving Beatles Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr. Eric Clapton, Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty, Ravi Shankar, Jools Holland and George's son Dhani sing renditions of hits including Taxman and My Sweet Lord. The first half is all Ravi Shankar Indian stuff, then it rocks out in the second part.

7pm Discovering Music - Abba (Sky Arts)

8pm Discovery Concerts - The Bridge On The River Kwai (BBC4)
    Katie Derham introduces a performance by the BBC Concert Orchestra of the full score to David Lean's 1957 film. Includes a poignant rendition of the classic 'Hitler Has Only Got One Ball', also known as The Colonel Bogey March

9pm Our Classical Century (BBC4)
    Suzy Klein and Joan Bakewell explore classical music between 1953 and 1971, including the first broadcast of the Last Night Of The Proms and Britten's controversial War Requiem. The programme also examines the influence of Jacqueline du Pre, Daniel Barenboim, Yehudi Menuhin, and Ravi Shankar. Ravi Shankar is busy today

10pm The Green Linnet (TG4)
    Ep3 Arguing duo Barney McKenna and Tony McMahon continue their European tour as they visit Germany, where a chance meeting with Irish expats in the streets leads to a musical encounter

10pm Urban Myths - Backstage at Live Aid (Sky Arts)
    Neil Forsyth's comic reimagning of the events among the superstars and crew milling around the green room at the Live Aid concerts in 1985. Jonas Armstrong and Martin Compston star. These repeats are a preview to Series 3 of Urban Myths which starts next Wednesday https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/5241/urban_myths_series_3/

10.30pm Urban Myths - Sex Pistols v Bill Grundy (Sky Arts)
    All hell breaks loose when Sex Pistols turn up on Bill Grundy's live TV show in 1976. Comedy, starring Daniel Mays, Steve Pemberton, Kieran Hodgson and Kayvan Novak

10.30pm Mna An Cheoil (TG4)
    The history of Women Fiddlers

11pm Altan Ag Cheoil (TG4)
    Donegal folk band Altan celebrate their 30th anniversary with a performance at O'Connor's Pub in Salthill, Galway

11pm Urban Myths: Bob Dylan (Sky Arts)
    Music legend Bob Dylan decides to pay an impromptu visit to his friend and fellow musician Dave Stewart. Unfortunately the Eurhythmics star isn't in, but his wife Ange reveals he will be back shortly and asks Bob if he'd like to have a cup of tea and wait for him. Comedy, starring Eddie Marsan, Paul Ritter and Katherine Parkinson

11pm Film That'll Be The Day (True Movies)
    A school dropout leaves home and drifts through a succession of dead-end jobs until he finds an outlet for his frustration in rock 'n' roll. Drama, starring David Essex, Ringo Starr, Keith Moon, Billy Fury, Robert Lindsay and Rosemary Leach

Midnight Brian Johnson's A Life On The Road - Joe Walsh From The Eagles (Sky Arts)

1.25am Brian Pern (GOLD)
    S1 Ep 2&3

When shows are not available on Youtube, sometimes a Google search gives you decent links for sites we aren't meant to link to here. If you know what I mean.

So that's more or less that for this week.

The Grand National is on Saturday (VM1, ITV Saturday 5.15pm). My tip goes to Number 7, who looks a capable chaser that has a good record of finishing in the top two over fences. If taking to the track (first run in the race) could go well and has proven his stamina in the past when running second in the 2018 Bet365 Gold Cup at Sandown in 2018. (That's not my words, that's the blurb on https://www.grandnational.org.uk/grand-national-runners.php)

Yes, at the time of writing you can get 20/1 in the Grand National on ... Rock The Kasbah ! You know it makes sense!

https://twitter.com/racingtv/status/1063793891839758337?lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Really looking forward to the Suede doc. Love them. Cheers Skid as always.

Nice Bodyform song by Heart. :D

Shakin’ Stevens’ dancers on loan to Bananarama.

New Order are a fine band.

• Advertisement

SUGAR MICE!

tenor.gif?itemid=11562845

Advertisement