Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Watched both episodes of "Elvis Presley: The Searcher" last night which was excellent. Did not really know too much about Elvis and I am a newly converted fan now. Have the sound track streaming all morning in kitchen and blown away by his talent. It's on Sky Atlantic and well worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,474 ✭✭✭corkie

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Watched both episodes of "Elvis Presley: The Searcher" last night which was excellent. Did not really know too much about Elvis and I am a newly converted fan now. Have the sound track streaming all morning in kitchen and blown away by his talent. It's on Sky Atlantic and well worth watching.

As a pre-teen in the early 70's, he was a favorite of mine, loved the music and his films.

Don't think, I could watch a 3h 25min Documentary on him now.

Elvis Presley (1935–1977)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭dasdog

Had the John Lee Hooker documentary recorded. My world changed when I heard his recordings when I was 16/17. I hold him in the same regard as John Coltrane and Igor Stravinsky.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Nile Rodgers alert.

Coming on now with Meeeeriam.

Expect fawning overload.

Your beautiful beautiful wonderful maaawwrvelous music.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

sligojoek wrote: »
    Nile Rodgers alert.

Coming on now with Meeeeriam.

Expect fawning overload.

Your beautiful beautiful wonderful maaawwrvelous music.
    He's alive! Praise the Lord! He's been found and he's alive!

Stand down the search and rescue teams and play some funky disco tunes to celebrate the return of the long lost Nile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Channel 4 have another airing for 'Paul Heaton - From Hull To Heatongrad' on Tuesday Night (early Wednesday at 1am) (that's Paul Heaton from The Housemartins and The Beautiful South)

I thought it was very good, but don't take my word for it, here's an expert review from when it was broadcast last time ...

Just watched the Paul Heaton documentary, ‘From Hull To Heatongrad’.

Watch back if you can - superb :)

Now give that man an Ivor Novello award! :D

Hello, new on BBC4 this week is a one off revival of an ancient Jazz show, Jazz 625. There are lots of good repeats including Bowie, Oasis and Ginger Baker on the free channels. Sky Arts has a new doc looking at New York's fabled Studio 54 Nightclub, possibly featuring someone who didn't get in there on New Years Eve one year, his name escapes me now - Neil Ruddock ?

Thursday
    2pm Classic Albums: Elton John - Goodbye Yellowbrick Road (Sky Arts)

3pm Soundtracks - Songs That Defined History (Sky Arts)
    Ep 2 Billy Joel's New York State Of Mind and other 9/11 related songs

7.30pm & Midnight Top Of The Pops 1987 - October 15th (BBC4)
    Chart music from October 15, featuring UB40, Five Star, the Alarm, Terence Trent D'Arby, Los Lobos, Bananarama, Fleetwood Mac, the Fatback Band, the Bee Gees and Billy Idol

Friday
    8pm Soundtracks - Songs That Defined History (Sky Arts)
    Ep 3 Kent State and the Vietnam War A look at how the politically driven songs of Neil Young and Buffalo Springfield took on new meaning following the Kent State massacre during anti-Vietnam War protests

8.30pm & 12.30am Top Of The Pops 1987 - October 22 (BBC4)
    Gary Davies and Simon Bates host the edition aired on 22 October, featuring music by Was (Not Was), Los Lobos, Pet Shop Boys, Erasure, The Cure, Ray Parker Jr and the Bee Gees

8.30pm Fleadh Cheoil (RTE1)
    John Creedon and Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh introduce performances by the Cill Áirne Set Dancers, renowned singer Seán Keane, Fiddlers of Oriel and the Byrne Sisters

9pm Jazz 625 Live: For One Night Only (BBC4) New!
    A one-off revival of the iconic 1960s music show, from Cheltenham during the Jazz Festival. Performers include Gregory Porter, Jacqui Dankworth and Cleo Laine

9pm The Story Of The Jam: About The Young Idea (Sky Arts)
    Documentary profile of the band, featuring archive performances and interviews with frontman Paul Weller, bassist Bruce Foxton and drummer Rick Buckler
    It's on Youtube, there are a lot of The Jam videos on this account if you are into that

9.30pm Michael Hutchence - The Autopsy (VM2)
    Also on VM3 at 12.45am. Why? I don't know.

9.30pm The Late Late Show Country Music Special (RTE1)

10.30pm Top Of The Pops 1977: Big Hits (BBC4)
    Archive performances from 1977, including Rod Stewart, the Jacksons, Queen, the Stranglers, Brotherhood of Man, David Bowie, Bob Marley, Baccara, Heatwave and Elvis Costello

10.45pm Paul Weller: May Love Travel With You (Sky Arts)
    The singer-songwriter performs at London's Royal Festival Hall accompanied by an orchestra, playing a career-spanning set from Jam classics to songs from latest album True Meanings

11.30pm Even More Guitar Heroes At The BBC (BBC4)
    Archive performances of the most iconic artists and bands from the 1960s and 1970s, featuring Status Quo, the Who, Dire Straits and Lynyrd Skynyrd

11.45pm The British Invasion: The Small Faces (Sky Arts)
    Music show celebrating British acts of the 1960s, beginning with the Small Faces. Featuring interviews with the band's members and performances of hits including Itchycoo Park

12.05am Four To The Floor (Channel 4)
    Featuring Sam Fender, Joe Labrynth, Jamie Isaac and Novelist

12.15am Film - Oasis: Supersonic (RTE2)
    Documentary about the early years of the Manchester band, featuring concert footage and first-hand accounts of the sibling rivalry between Noel and Liam Gallagher

12.45am The Who: Tommy Live At The Royal Albert Hall (Sky Arts)
    2017 Concert

1.55am David Bowie - Finding Fame (BBC2)
    The final part of Francis Whately's trilogy of films on Bowie's life, telling the story of the five years when many of the ideas that would help him become an icon were first born https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/feb/09/david-bowie-finding-fame-review

2.15am Troubadours: The Rise Of The Singer-Songwriter (Sky Arts)
    Documentary exploring the popularity of singer-songwriters in Los Angeles during the 1970s. Featuring contributions by James Taylor, Carole King, Elton John and Bonnie Raitt

Saturday
    3pm The Eighties - MTV (Sky Arts)
    A look at how MTV marked the dawn of the music video's rise, with Michael Jackson taking the artform to a new level by creating groundbreaking short films

6pm Soundtracks: Songs That Defined History (Sky Arts)
    Ep 3/8 Kent State and the Vietnam War A look at how the politically driven songs of Neil Young and Buffalo Springfield took on new meaning following the Kent State massacre during anti-Vietnam War protests

7pm The Making Of Marc Bolan (Sky Arts)
    Documentary telling the story of how East End boy Mark Feld became a glam rock superstar as the frontman of T. Rex. Featuring contributions from friends, family and well-known fans

7pm Easy Listening Hits at the BBC (Yesterday)
    including Burt Bacharach and the Carpenters

8pm Stiff at the BBC (Yesterday)
    Performances recorded at the BBC by artists associated with the Stiff Records label, featuring Madness, Ian Dury, the Pogues, Lene Lovich and Jona Lewie

8pm Video Killed The Radio Star - Elton John (Sky Arts)
    8.30pm Video Killed The Radio Star - Blondie (Sky Arts)

9pm Studio 54 (2018) (Sky Arts) New!
    The story of the New York City nightclub, from the glitz, glamour and endless celebrity guests to drug scandals and tax troubles

And yes, it does feature Nile Rodgers !

10.50pm The Bee Gees: For One Night Only (Sky Arts)
    1997 Concert

11pm Bowie At The BBC (BBC4)
    A chronology of clips from the BBC archive giving an overview of Bowie's career from 1964, offering snapshots into his rapidly evolving career across music, films and the theatre

Also, that is quite literally a photo of Bowie at the BBC

Midnight Top Of The Pops 1987 - October 15th (BBC4)
    As Thursday, they don't seem to be repeating Friday's show tonight

12.30am Eric Clapton at the BBC - The Rock And Roll Years (BBC4)
    Archive performances by the guitarist and songwriter, who has survived both personal trauma and drug addiction to build a wide and varied musical career

1am Chic And Nile Rodgers - Jazz A Vienne (Sky Arts)
    A concert by the band from 2013, featuring a medley of Diana Ross and Sister Sledge classics, as well as their own hits Everybody Dance, Le Freak and Good Times

2.35am The Doobie Brothers - Let The Music Play (Sky Arts)
    The story of the American group, from their beginnings as a biker band in California in 1970 through to their sustained success, break-ups, reunions and multi-platinum albums "Overall, I found this documentary to be quite interesting as I was only partially familiar with the group, which has played such an integral part in rock and music history." A small excerpt of LarryS3's review on IMDB there, he gave it 7/10.

Sunday
    7.30pm Ireland's Favourite Folk Song (RTE1)
    Footballer Niall Quinn champions a song celebrating London's Irish community, while comedian Eilish O'Carroll and artist Mark O'Dea discuss a song associated with the Easter Rising. Thread about this show here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057975591

10pm Imagine: Beware Of Mr Baker (BBC4)
    Ginger Baker looks back on his musical career with Cream and Blind Faith; his introduction to Fela Kuti; his self-destructive patterns and losses of fortune; and his current life inside a fortified South African compound.90 minutes long, This looks like a full Youtube version

11.15pm Whelan's@25 (TG4)
    A concert recorded at Whelan's, celebrating the Dublin music venue. With performances by the Riptide Movement, Cathy Davey, Javin James, Paddy Casey and the Tri-Tones

11.30pm Leonard Bernstein at the BBC (BBC4)
    Archive performances and interviews with accomplished musician Leonard Bernstein. Featured clips include West Side Story, Elgar's Enigma and works by Beethoven

... and that's more or less that. As always do let us know if you have seen anything else in the schedules, Nile Rodgers related or otherwise

An odd one I watched on Youtube this week was this South Bank Show from 1979 with Melvyn Bragg paying earnest tribute to Stiff Little Fingers and other Rough Trade Label bands. With some possibly scandinavian subtitles.

Finally, the best Eurovision song about a lovely horse of the week
    might be this one from Fr Ted Crilly and Fr Dougal Maguire (Father Ted, RTE2 Thursday 9pm)

Sounds suspiciously similar to a Nin Huegen and the Hugenotes (RIP) B Side, ah well

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

'Beware of Mister Baker' is well worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

rapidly losing interest in the TOTP reruns - 1987 was a dark dark time for music. How long was that bloody Bruce Willis song in the charts for?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Skid X wrote: »
    7.30pm & Midnight Top Of The Pops 1987 - October 15th (BBC4)
    Chart music from October 15, featuring UB40, Five Star, the Alarm, Terence Trent D'Arby, Los Lobos, Bananarama, Fleetwood Mac, the Fatback Band, the Bee Gees and Billy Idol

We fast-forward five weeks - for reasons that should be obvious at this stage.

Must be said, it would have been pretty jarring if BBC4 had aired the 10 September episode on a Thursday and the 15 October episode the following night...

Not long now till we're in '88, and Kylie and acid house arrive on the scene - as well as a new producer and new, younger presenters (some not from Radio 1). '88 was so eventful, in fact, that I feel compelled to do a list of *all* the key moments and their dates - but I'll wait until we get a bit nearer the time.

:D;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Jaysus, The Alarm. They were only brutal. He has a bit of Bono around that time goin' on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Watched the Robert Johnson yoke on Netflix yesterday.

It's amazing, it goes real heavy on the deal with the devil craic. Like, real heavy. It's full of sinister cartoons where his shadow has horns and that. Bizarre.

Oddly, it has a couple of excellent contributors - Elijah Wald wrote, to my knowledge, the best biography of Johnson - but also a bunch of other lads, who just keep mentioning the devil.

Worth a watch, but only just.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

zorro2566 wrote: »
    John Lee Hooker The Boogie Man on BBC4 at 9pm, and to think people will put up with the poo on RTÈ watching the late late show at the same time as this documentary about one of the greatest blues guitarists ever!

You can bet not one of the ex boyband singers promoted on tonights Tubridy would know who John Lee Hooker even is. Or Robert Johnson either. This blues music was the opposite to these wannabe country singers on Tubridy's show who are really just ex boybanders.

Not sure what to make of this evenings upcoming Jazz 625 homage. It's going to be a contemporary version broadcast in black and white according a Guardian preview. Interesting anecdote about the shows title which always intrigued me.
    Jazz 625 was devised as part of a package of programmes chosen to launch the BBC’s second channel in 1964. The enigmatic title was chosen to reflect the upgrade from the 405-line VHF signal to the 625 lines of UHF offered by the new channel - the high-definition TV of the time.

There are plenty of the original series on YouTube and they are just fantastic. They managed to get some of the greatest names alive at the time to perform and thankfully the recordings are good quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

loyatemu wrote: »
    rapidly losing interest in the TOTP reruns - 1987 was a dark dark time for music. How long was that bloody Bruce Willis song in the charts for?!

I've always had the memory that pop music went to shyte for me near the end of 86. I was going into my teens and getting into hard rock and metal between 87/88 so I never had good memories of that same period but I'm surprised at how much I liked from 87 watching these reruns.
    Nostalgia is a powerful thing. I'm listening to tunes that I detested back then and loving them. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 72,658 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

KISS :D

It’s a fine line between stupid and clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

KISS :D

Eric Carr played big drumkits in KISS. Ludwig drums and Paiste cymbals.

Ray Parker Jr. singing a song that’s not called ‘Ghostbusters’? :eek: :confused:

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Eric Carr played big drumkits in KISS. Ludwig drums and Paiste cymbals.

Died on the same day as Freddie Mercury.

Maurice Gibb playing a trouser press :D

• Advertisement

Nice

Hehe, yeah I was waiting for that. It's actually done pretty tastefully. The original show was cutting edge with graphics and high definition sound.

dasdog wrote: »
    Hehe, yeah I was waiting for that. It's actually done pretty tastefully. The original show was cutting edge with graphics and high definition sound.

This is actually pretty decent stuff so far, and Charlie Watts in there too. :)

Fifteen minutes till some better music on the LLS :pac: :D

This is actually pretty decent stuff so far, and Charlie Watts in there too. :)

Fifteen minutes till some better music on the LLS :pac: :D

:)

Looking at the line up they really should have tried to get Kamasi Washington if they are including contemporary acts. But you'll all get to see and hear his band during the Glastonbury coverage next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Gaah, whatever happened to the end of Whatever Happened to The Heroes, BBC? :(

Almost ashamed to admit that Boomtown Rats were quite fun :o

Damn, then Bowie and Costello...don't watch the ToTP reruns often, but happening on '77 was lucky :D

Just watching Was (Not Was) on TOTP there ... reminded me of Jim Bowen's cover of that song.

Super Smashing Great

• Advertisement

Excellent Albert Steptoe/Ginger Baker documentary on BBC Four right now. :)

Forgot that Ginger performed with PiL.

Advertisement