Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,658 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I want to see Whitesnake on next week. Some cracking tunes on the 1987 album.

I too wish to see Tawny Kitaen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I want to see Whitesnake on next week. Some cracking tunes on the 1987 album.

They saved it tonight! Epic riff!

‘In Every Dream Home A Heartache’

Hands down, my favourite song about a blow-up doll.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I am enjoying this Roxy Music thing.

It's just a compilation of performances with some brief interjections from talking heads, but no harm in that.

Hello, not much in the way of new shows this week alas. Some decent shows on repeat including The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert on Pick, and Mick Ronson and Glen Campbell on Sky Arts. BBC have some coverage of their Big Weekend shows, but they are mostly saving up for their Glastonbury coverage which isn't too far away ...

Wednesday
    9pm & Midnight Urban Myths - Paul McCartney (Sky Arts)
    Comedy drama telling the story of how Paul McCartney dreamt the melody of Yesterday just as cracks began to form in his musical partnership with John Lennon. Starring Tom Connor

12.30am Paul McCartney - Live Kisses (Sky Arts)
    Concert from Los Angeles to promote his Album 'Kisses On The Bottom'

Thursday
    2pm Discovering: Bee Gees (Sky Arts)
    2.30pm & 1.50am Discovering: Eagles (Sky Arts)

3pm Soundtracks: Songs That Defined History (Sky Arts)
    The Berlin Wall

7.30pm & Midnight Top Of The Pops 1987 - November 26 (BBC4)
    Simon Bates and Gary Davies present Blue Mercedes, Boy George, the Communards, Shakin' Stevens, the Hooters, Paul McCartney, the Housemartins, T'Pau and George Harrison

11.35pm Other Voices (RTE2)
    Music by Loyle Carner, Aine Cahill and Tom Adams, as well as Rosborough in the Other Room

12.15am Chicago: Greatest Hits Live (Sky Arts)
    2017 TV Special

Friday
    7.30pm & 12.10am Top Of The Pops 1987 - December 3rd (BBC4)
    Featuring performances by the Hooters, Alexander O'Neal, the Proclaimers, Def Leppard, Cutting Crew, Jellybean featuring Elisa Fiorillo, Michael Jackson, Paul McCartney and T'Pau

8pm & 1.40am Dusty Springfield at the BBC (BBC4)
    A tribute to the London-born pop diva, featuring BBC archive footage of some of Dusty's most famous performances from 1961 to 1995, and a chance to relive the singer's story

8pm Soundtrack: Songs That Defined History (Sky Arts)
    A look at how the influence of the space race led musicians such as David Bowie, the Byrds and Sun Ra to imagine a cosmic future for mankind

9pm Saturday Night Fever - The Ultimate Disco Movie (BBC4)
    Bruno Tonioli helps celebrate the 40th anniversary of the blockbuster dance movie, set in New York. Contributors include its star John Travolta

9pm & 3am Classic Albums: Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (Sky Arts)

9.35pm Titanic: Band Of Courage (PBS)
    Documentary exploring the story of the eight musicians who continued to play on as the RMS Titanic sank, trying to provide peace, calm and dignity to those facing certain death

10pm & 2am Rocketman: Special (Sky Arts)
    A sneak peek at the musical fantasy detailing Elton John's breakthrough years

10.10pm Bee Gees at the BBC and Beyond (BBC4)
    A compilation of classic performances by the legendary pop trio from the BBC archive. Including renditions of the brothers' most popular hits, and footage of TV appearances

10.30pm & 3am Video Killed The Radio Star - Elton John (Sky Arts)

11pm Beside Bowie: The Mick Ronson Story (Sky Arts)
    A profile of the guitarist and producer, who helped shape David Bowie's career while a member of the Spiders from Mars and worked with Morrissey, Van Morrison and Bob Dylan
    https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-news/beside-bowie-new-documentary-traces-life-of-guitarist-mick-ronson-126204/

12.40am Psychedelic Britannia (BBC4)
    A trip through arguably the most visionary period in British music history, five kaleidoscopic years between 1965 and 1970 when a handful of dreamers re-imagined the pop genre
    Doesn't seem to be on Youtube

1am The Making Of Marc Bolan (Sky Arts)
    Documentary telling the story of how East End boy Mark Feld became a glam rock superstar as the frontman of T. Rex. Featuring contributions from friends, family and well-known fans

2.40 Pump Up The Bhangra: The Sound Of Asian Britain (BBC4)
    DJ Bobby Friction recounts the rise and history of Bhangra music across Britain in the 1980s and encounters some legends of the scene

Saturday
    11am & 11pm In His Life: The John Lennon Story (True Movies)
    2000: Biopic of the singer, tracing his life from growing up in Liverpool to making it big with the Beatles. Starring Philip McQuillan and Blair Brown https://variety.com/2000/tv/reviews/in-his-life-the-john-lennon-story-1200466086/ "This is a helluva little movie. Yeah, it's so much better than 'Backbeat." says Dadumdil on IMDB who gives it 10/10, however sonic_youth08 is not quite as positive, commenting"This movie was the worst acted piece of trash I've seen in a long time. For that matter, it was also the worst written piece of trash I've seen in a long time. 1/10" Probably more of a Dave Clark Five fan

2.30pm Radio 1 Big Weekend in Middlesborough (BBC Red Button)
    Continues all evening

6.15pm Soundtrack: Songs That Defined History (Sky Arts)
    The Space one, which was on yesterday

7pm Top Of The Pops - The Story of 1977 (Yesterday)

7.10pm Take That Live: Wonderland (Sky Arts)

7.30pm The Hit List (BBC1) New!
    Marvin and Rochelle Humes present a music-based quiz show in which contestants must name as many hit songs and artists as possible, with a £10,000 jackpot up for grabs

9pm Film: Hendrix (True Movies)
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hendrix

9.15pm Bee Gees: In Our Time (Sky Arts)
    Robin and Barry Gibb discuss their career in music, from their early days in Australia to their rise to global fame with their brother Maurice in the Bee Gees

9.15pm Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert (Pick)
    The 1992 concert at Wembley Stadium in honour of the Queen frontman, including performances by David Bowie, Elton John, Annie Lennox and George Michael

9.30pm Miley Cyrus & Billie Eilish Live At Radio 1's Big Weekend in Middlesborough (BBC2)

10.25pm One Hit Wonders At The BBC (BBC4)
    Compilation of hits by artists hardly heard from again, including Peter Sarstedt's Where Do You Go To (My Lovely)?, Trio's smash Da Da Da, and Move Closer, by Phyllis Nelson

10.30pm Rocketman Special (Sky Arts)

11pm Video Killed The Radio Star - Elton John (Sky Arts)

11.05pm Ireland's Favourite Folk Song (RTE1)

11.25pm Top Of The Pops 1987 - November 26 (BBC4)

11.30pm Discovering Elton John (Sky Arts)
    There's a new Biopic out about him

11.55pm Top Of The Pops 1987 - December 3rd (BBC4)

12.25am Gregory Porter's Popular Voices (BBC4)
    The soul and jazz star examines popular music's best vocalists including Enrico Caruso, Ella Fitzgerald and Mahalia Jackson, the so-called showstoppers

12.30am Joe Cocker: Mad Dog With Soul (Sky Arts)
    Documentary charting the rise of the singer, a gas fitter playing in Sheffield pubs who was catapulted to stardom following a spectacular appearance at Woodstock in 1969

1am Lisa McHugh in Concert (VM2)
    Again

2.15am Frank Sinatra Live From Madison Square Garden (Sky Arts)
    1972 TV Special

3.15am Dean Martin - A Legend In Concert (Sky Arts)
    Compilation of TV appearances

Sunday
    11am Film: Sunshine On Leith (Film4)
    Two soldiers return home from Afghanistan, but struggle to adjust to civilian life. Musical featuring songs by the Proclaimers
    Well, I liked it.

12.30pm Radio 1's Big Weekend 2019 (BBC Red Button)
    Highlights of the Weekend, continues all day

4pm Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me (Sky Arts)
    Documentary following the country star and his wife Kim on tour across America, featuring contributions by Bruce Springsteen, Paul McCartney and Bill Clinton

5pm Fleadh TV Súil Siar (TG4)
    Highlights of the 2014 Fleadh Cheoil, featuring performances from Dervish, Altan, Nathan Carter, Rackhouse Pilfer and Maura O'Connell, plus new talent from the competitions

6.05pm Willie Nelson & Friends: Outlaws And Angels (Sky Arts)
    Artists including Bob Dylan, Carole King, Al Green, Keith Richards, Jerry Lee Lewis, Toby Keith, Ben Harper and Kid Rock celebrate the country music star's career

7.30pm Ireland's Favourite Folk Song (RTE1)
    Mary Black presents a celebration of Only a Woman's Heart and The Rocky Road to Dublin, with Tara Flynn and Damien Dempsey championing the two songs

8pm Discovering Eagles (Sky Arts)
    8.30pm Video Killed The Radio Star - Neil Young (Sky Arts)

8.30pm Pat Shortt's Music From D'Telly (RTE1)
    Pat introduces footage of musical performances at Dublin's Gaiety Theatre, as well Sinead O'Connor, Philip Lynott, and U2's 1985 homecoming concert at Croke Park

9pm Discovering Queen (Sky Arts)
    Very ordinary Queen Doc

9.30pm Tradfest TG4 (TG4)
    Featuring Shelby Lynne and Allison Moorer, The Glackins, Deirdre Hurley, Jacqui Martin, Gay McKeon and Conor Connolly. Presented by Doireann Ní Ghlacái

10pm Queen Live At The Rainbow (Sky Arts)
    A 1974 concert by the rock band at London's Rainbow Theatre, featuring performances of Killer Queen and Seven Seas of Rhye

10.30pm The 1975 Live At Radio 1's Big Weekend (BBC2)

10.30pm Geantraí (TG4)
    'Trad Music Series' according to the blurb

11pm Ceolchuairt - Jamaica (TG4)
    Gearóid Mac Lochlainn goes on a journey of self-discovery to Jamaica, the cradle of reggae, and reveals how certain songs formed the soundtrack to his teenage years in Belfast

11.45pm Queen Live In Rio (Sky Arts)
    1985 Concert

... and that's more or less that. Queen and Pink Floyd seem to have more docs and concerts in rotation that anyone else. Sorry Nile.

I saw an extended complitation of Spinal Tap bonus scenes on Youtube the other day. Which was nice.

Finally, there's a Rare chance to see Quincy taking on the Punks Of America And Trying To Tell Them Punk Is No Good (Quincy ME 'Next Stop Nowhere' - ITV4, Friday 2.45pm) Featuring some very unlikely looking Punk Acts and sanctimonious Quincy trying to get them to mend their ways and listen to some proper music like Glenn Miller.

https://tv.avclub.com/a-cult-favorite-quincy-episode-warned-of-the-dangers-of-1798246996

http://nightflight.com/next-stop-nowhere-tvs-quincy-m-e-takes-on-punk-rock-a-killer-of-spirit/

• Advertisement

RIP The Very Reverend D.Wayne Love of Alabama 3 :(

https://www.nme.com/news/music/jake-black-alabama-3-died-2490786/amp

It’s too obvious to post ‘that’ song from ‘that’ TV series, so I’ll go with this - also a classic... :)

Gary Davies in a white polo neck.

giphy.gif

A double bass keyboard?!

giphy.gif

‘Satellite’ by The Hooters!!

TUNE!

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Was looking forward to the Ronson doc, then realised it’s on Sky Arts

* waits for trickle-down, all :( *

• Advertisement

Excellent looking Yacht Rock documentary coming soon on BBC FOUR :D

HOOTERS!!

The weekend starts here! :)

Christmas 1987...Pet Shop Boys about to stop the Pogues Party.

RTE2 used Satellite by The Hooters as their Grand Prix theme music, because the BBC had called dibs on The Chain

https://www.balls.ie/motorsport/formula-1-theme-tunes-ranked-from-best-to-worst-380540

"and at 24 The Tams - there ain't nothing like shagging" :eek:

Just try to sing ‘Letter From America’ without putting on a Scottish accent.

See? Impossible.

Backache no mooore?

I wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Hysteria is a great tune from Def Leppard.

Genuinely don’t remember this song.

Andy ‘The Viking’ Fordham on saxophone.

This song could do with changing key and picking up pace suddenly like he does in Band On The Run

Actually, could you just do Band On The Run, Paul ?

• Advertisement

Genuinely don’t remember this song.

That's becuz it's forgettable innit.

Nigel Kennedy about to get his Stuart Sutcliffe-type marching orders for upstaging Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

How has "Satellite" fallen out of common memory?

It was a stonking good song yet you never hear it played on oldies shows or anything trying to evoke 80s nostalgia.

Also, and slightly mortified to admit this, I've just realised I had no idea what the song was about (just played it there on YT). Granted, at 16 and living in Ireland my knowledge of TV evangelicals was fairly limited. It hardly matters though. Great 80s music.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Just try to sing ‘Letter From America’ without putting on a Scottish accent.

See? Impossible.
    I played that for a Polish friend once and she looked at me puzzled and asked "What language is this? " I was attempting to sing along to add to her bewilderment.

Skid X wrote: »
    RTE2 used Satellite by The Hooters as their Grand Prix theme music, because the BBC had called dibs on The Chain

Nice work Mr. Skid :)

I see RTE used The Hooters tune in 1996. The same year Jordan had a gold livery on their cars.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    How has "Satellite" fallen out of common memory?

It was a stonking good song yet you never hear it played on oldies shows or anything trying to evoke 80s nostalgia.

Also, and slightly mortified to admit this, I've just realised I had no idea what the song was about (just played it there on YT). Granted, at 16 and living in Ireland my knowledge of TV evangelicals was fairly limited. It hardly matters though. Great 80s music.

Some Hooters/Irish trivia...

Bob Geldof was not happy about The Hooters being added as the opening act for the Philadelphia US leg of Live Aid. He felt pressured into it by organizer Bill Graham and local promoter Larry Magid. Magid, promoting the concert through Electric Factory Concerts argued that the band was popular in Philadelphia; their first major label album 'Nervous Night' had been released almost three months earlier and had been a hit. In an interview for 'Rolling Stone', Geldof asked: "Who the f**k are the Hooters?" Conversely, in December 2004, Geldof appeared on the bill with the Hooters in Germany as their opening act.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Don't mention the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Shamelessly bopping my head to, 'Take a Luuuuuuuuuuuke!'

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Shane: We were beaten to the No.1 spot by two poofs and a piano. The UK charts are like a cesspit. The **** always floats to the top.

Not verbatum but it was something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

God I hate Jools Holland. Sorry.

Advertisement