Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

‘Call Me’!

I will providing you don't mind me reversing the charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,687 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

When I was a wee lad, I always used to think ‘Walking On Sunshine’ was from the ‘Grease’ soundtrack (song has the feel of ‘We Go Together’).

For years, I had convinced myself it was on the soundtrack :blush:

Marillion.

Steady, ladies :D

Great song though :)

Scritti Politti!

Fine band :)

The special mix of ‘19’, made just for TOTP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Scritti Politti!

Fine band :)

Fun fact

Wet Wet Wet got their name from Scritti Politti lyrics

https://genius.com/Scritti-politti-gettin-havin-and-holdin-lyrics
    Baby, well you know that it's
    Just like a great nation (great nation)
    It's so bound to type up on the...
    Typed-up on the wall
    It's tired of joking - wet, wet with tears

They just added an extra wet.

19 more of those nugggets in this link, no, no need to thank me :p

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/20-forgotten-facts-wet-wet-7471693

Great new programs SkidX- many thanks as always for your contribution- it really is appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Enjoyed part one of the minimalism programme. In C is a work of genius really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well that was bloody wonderful.

I first listened to 'A Rainbow in curved Air' in the early 70s. Terry Riley was so far ahead of the curve it's staggering. To think that was recorded in 1969.

Tangerine Dreams 'Phaedra' was released 5 years later and you can hear the similarities in the tone and phasing.

Looking forward to next week's program.

Just doing a search on Netflix, they have a decent selection of music concerts and documentaries at the moment. There is so much varied content there you need to search by category to really get stuck into their content.

Music and Concert Documentaries: https://www.netflix.com/browse/genre/90361

Rock and Pop https://www.netflix.com/browse/genre/3278

(I got those codes from https://netflixcodes.me/ which is a handy tool for all Netflix content)

• Advertisement

Once again, I highly recommend ‘Synth Britannia’ one of the best BBC Four documentaries of recent times.

Repeated last night, available on catch-up. :)

Looks like the TOTP repeats are continuing into 1986, which is nice.

https://twitter.com/WellSpokenBloke/status/971056472711991297

Hello, what's going on this weekend - Well on Sky they go large on Yes and Rick Wakeman, all weekend long. Hours of that if you are into it, along with lots of Pink Floyd. BBC4 concludes that minimalist Doc while TOTP2 and Classic Albums pop up on more than one channel while TG4 has exciting news for Ralph McTell fans ...

Wednesday Night
    11.25pm Ar Staitse - Ralph McTell (TG4)
    The singer-songwriter performs his hits From Clare to Here, Sweet Mystery and Streets of London. Recorded in 1980

Midnight Sings Stevie Wonder (BBC4)
    A trawl through the BBC archives, unearthing 50 years of covers of Wonder's classic songbook, featuring artists including Cilla Black, Jimmy Helms, Dionne Warwick, the Osmonds, India Arie and James Morrison. Among the clips is a storming performance of Ed Sheeran with Jools Holland and his Rhythm & Blues Orchestra taking on Master Blaster (Jammin')

1am Top Of The Pops 1982 - July 15th
    Includes appearances from Hot Chocolate, Dexys Midnight Runners, Cliff Richard, David Essex, Japan, Visage and Irene Cara https://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesid=78332&seasonid=653323&id=5507743&lid=7

1.30am Top Of The Pops 1982 - July 22nd
    Simon Bates presents the edition from July 22, featuring music by the Belle Stars, Madness, Bananarama, the Brat, Trio, Junior, the Stranglers, Dollar and Irene Cara https://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesid=78332&seasonid=653323&id=5507748&lid=7

Thursday
    10.30am Video Killed The Radio Star - Oasis (Sky Arts)

12pm Trailblazers - Pop Radio (Sky Arts)

3.30pm Video Killed The Radio Star - Aretha Franklin (Sky Arts)

5pm Trailblazers - Pub Rock (Sky Arts)

7.30pm & Midnight Top Of The Pops 1985 - May 30th (BBC4)
    John Peel and Janice Long present the May 30 edition, with Stephen `Tin Tin' Duffy, Animotion, Billy Ocean, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Scritti Politti and Paul Hardcastle https://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesid=78332&seasonid=655748&id=5857966&lid=7

8pm When Patsy Cline was Crazy (Sky Arts)
    Rosanne Cash narrates a documentary about the life, career and legacy of the American country music singer, with contributions by LeAnn Rimes, Kacey Musgraves and Reba McEntire

11.15pm Other Voices (RTE2)
    Music by Perfume Genius, Lankum, Pillow Queens and Jealous of the Birds. Presented by Annie Mac, Huw Stephens and May Kay

12.30am TOTP2 - Genesis (BBC4)
    A celebration of the rock group that delves into the archives for performances by the band and its members past and present, including clips of solo material by Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins as well as Mike Rutherford's side project Mike & the Mechanics. Featuring I Can't Dance, I Know What I Like, No Self Control, In the Air Tonight, Many Too Many and The Living Years

1.15am TOTP2 - Wham! (BBC4)
    Mark Radcliffe narrates a selection of Top of the Pops performances by George Michael and Andrew Ridgeley's duo, featuring Young Guns (Go For It!), Wham Rap! (Enjoy What You Do), Bad Boys, Club Tropicana, Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go, Freedom, Everything She Wants and Edge of Heaven

2.30am Slash: Raised On The Sunset Strip (Sky Arts)
    Documentary exploring the life and music of the Guns N' Roses guitarist, featuring concert footage and interviews with Dave Grohl, Alice Cooper and Joe Perry

Friday
    10.30am Video Killed The Radio Star - Aretha Franklin (Sky Arts)

12pm Trailblazers - Pub Rock (Sky Arts)

5pm Trailblazers - Dance (Sky Arts)

7pm Classic Albums - The Joshua Tree (Sky Arts)
    The making of U2's album The Joshua Tree, which features the tracks I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For and With or Without You. Members of the band and producers Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois reveal stories behind the 1987 classic

7.30pm & 12.30am Top Of The Pops 1985 - June 6th (BBC4)
    Simon Bates and Richard Skinner introduce performances by Gary Moore and Phil Lynott, Kool and the Gang, Propaganda, David Bowie, Duran Duran and Paul Hardcastle. First aired June 6 1985 https://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesid=78332&seasonid=655748&id=5857967&lid=7

8pm & 1am Classic Albums - Pet Sounds (BBC4)
    Documentary exploring the making of the Beach Boys' classic 1966 album Pet Sounds, originally shown to mark the 50th anniversary of its release. Featuring contributions from songwriter Brian Wilson and the other surviving members of the group Mike Love, Al Jardine, Bruce Johnston and David Marks, as well as rare archive footage from the recording sessions

8pm The Music Videos That Shaped The 80s (Sky Arts)
    A look at how the introduction of music videos in the 1980s affected the industry, with contributions by Bob Geldof, Herbie Hancock, Roger Taylor and Richie Sambora, and directors David Mallet, Russell Mulcahy and Kevin Godley

9pm & 3am Tones, Drones and Arpeggios - The Magic Of Minimilism (BBC4)
    Part 2/2 New York Charles Hazlewood concludes his exploration of minimalism, classical music's last great `movement', which climaxed in the late 1970s on America's east coast. In the second of two episodes, he explores how breakthrough techniques first explored on tape by Steve Reich were transposed for orchestral performance, and how Philip Glass' experiments with repetitive structures along with his innovative work in opera, revealed new possibilities for classical music. The programme includes excerpts from minimalist pieces, plus part of Mike Oldfield's minimalist-inspired Tubular Bells. Contributors include Jarvis Cocker

10pm & 2am Tubular Bells - The Mike Oldfield Story (BBC4)
    An insight into the life of the acclaimed musician and the circumstances in which he - at 19 years of age - produced the biggest-selling instrumental album of all time, Tubular Bells. From life growing up seeking solace in music, to performing at the London 2012 Olympic opening ceremony, Mike reveals the struggles behind his unprecedented success story. With contributions by Richard Branson and Danny Boyle

10pm Classic Artists - Yes (Sky Arts) New!
    Part one of two (Part two tomorrow). Documentary exploring the work of pioneering English band Yes, the longest-lasting and most successful of the 1970s progressive rock groups
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3zr4w
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1180575/

11pm TOTP Big Hits 1964 to 1975 (BBC4)
    A selection of performances from the first years of Top of the Pops, featuring the Rolling Stones, Peter Sarstedt, Tom Jones, Stevie Wonder, Julie Driscoll, Queen, the Kinks, Procol Harum, Stealers Wheel, the Seekers and Status Quo

11.25pm Other Voices (RTE2)
    Repeat of Thursday's show (I think)
    http://www.othervoices.ie/

11.50pm The Windmill Lane Sessions (TG4)
    Music performances filmed at the Windmill Lane Recording Studios in Dublin, continuing with the Fureys, Helsinki and Fish & Bird

Late Night Pink Floyd Night on Sky Arts!

12.10am Pink Floyd - The Story Of Wish You Were Here (Sky Arts)
    Documentary telling the story behind the making of Pink Floyd's landmark 1975 album Wish You Were Here, featuring interviews with Roger Waters, David Gilmour and Nick Mason

1.30am Pink Floyd - A Delicate Sound Of Thunder (Sky Arts)
    An extravagant concert film from the musicians' A Momentary Lapse of Reason tour, recorded at New York's Nassau Coliseum in August 1988 using 27 cameras. The performance sees David Gilmour, Rick Wright and Nick Mason deliver seminal tracks including Shine on You Crazy Diamond, Time, Comfortably Numb and Wish You Were Here

3.30am Discovering Music - Pink Floyd (Sky Arts)
    Music critics and fans look back at the career of the rock band, famed for their hugely concept albums and elaborate live shows

Saturday
    11am The Movie Music Of Spike Lee (Sky Arts)
    A concert celebrating jazz composer and trumpeter Terence Blanchard's scores for director Spike Lee's films, including Malcolm X, Summer of Sam, 25th Hour and Inside Man

12pm Trailblazers - Heavy Metal (Sky Arts)

1pm Trailblazers - New Romantics (Sky Arts)

7.05pm Genesis - When In Rome (Sky Arts)
    The rock band perform in front of 500,000 fans at Rome's Circo Massimo during their Turn It On Again concert tour of Europe and North America in 2007

7pm Sounds Of The Sixties (Yesterday)
    1967-68 - The Pop Boom Music from the Top of the Pops archives, featuring performances by acts including the Foundations, Procol Harum, the Bee Gees, the Rolling Stones, and Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich

7.30pm Sounds Of The Sixties (Yesterday)
    1968-69 - The Swinging Sixties Music from the flower power era, featuring bands including Herman's Hermits, the Crazy World of Arthur Brown, the Alan Price Set, Manfred Mann and the Rolling Stones

8pm Sounds Of The Seventies (Yesterday)
    Free to Be Me- Studio and concert performances from the decade, featuring Free, Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, Yes and Dr Feelgood

8.30pm Sounds Of The Seventies (Yesterday)
    The Days I Knew- Then A collection of studio and concert performances from the decade, featuring the Carpenters, Wings, Abba and Kate Bush

9pm Classic Artists - Yes (Sky Arts)
    Part two of two. Documentary exploring the work of pioneering English band Yes, the longest-lasting and most successful of the 1970s progressive rock groups

9pm TOTP2 - Genesis (Yesterday)
    A celebration of the rock group that delves into the archives for performances by the band and its members past and present, including clips of solo material by Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins as well as Mike Rutherford's side project Mike & the Mechanics. Featuring I Can't Dance, I Know What I Like, No Self Control, In the Air Tonight, Many Too Many and The Living Years

9.30pm TOTP2 - Status Quo (Yesterday)
    A selection of the veteran rock 'n' roll band's performances on Top of the Pops, from their first appearance in 1968 with the psychedelic Pictures of Matchstick Men to their last in 2005 with The Party Ain't Over Yet, as well as hits including Rockin' All Over the World, Whatever You Want, Mystery Song and Living on an Island

10.30pm Roy Orbison - One Of The Lonely Ones (BBC4)
    Biography of the singer and musician, casting new light on the triumphs and tragedies that beset his career, featuring performances and home movies, and providing an insight into Orbison's remote Texas childhood and his battles to get his voice heard. This film reveals how his rollercoaster life was often reflected in the dark lyrics of his songs, from success to rejection, and rediscovery in the 1980s with the Travelling Wilburys supergroup. Featuring interviews with Jeff Lynne, T Bone Burnett, Bobby Goldsboro and Marianne Faithfull

11.10pm Rick Wakeman: The Six Wives Of Henry VIII (Sky Arts)
    A look at the Yes keyboard player's 1973 concept album, which was based on his musical interpretations of the characters of Henry VIII's six wives

11.30pm & 3.30pm TOTP2 Wham! (BBC4)
    Mark Radcliffe narrates a selection of Top of the Pops performances by George Michael and Andrew Ridgeley's duo, featuring Young Guns (Go For It!), Wham Rap! (Enjoy What You Do), Bad Boys, Club Tropicana, Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go, Freedom, Everything She Wants and Edge of Heaven

Midnight Janis - Little Girl Blue (BBC4)
    Janis Joplin's powerful, soulful voice blazed new creative trails before her untimely death in 1970, aged 27. As director Amy Berg's documentary reveals Joplin's on-stage bravado and uninhibited sexual persona hid hurt and insecurity stemming from her childhood. On relocating from Texas to San Francisco and discovering the blues, she found an outlet for her loneliness and fell into a community that embraced and celebrated her talent. This retrospective includes some of Joplin's most iconic performances, which embodied the musical and cultural revolution of the 1960s. Narrated by Cat Power
    Trailer

1am Ceol Ar An Imeall - Whelan's Celebration (TG4)
    Celebrating the 25th anniversary of Whelan's in Dublin, with performances by Fight Like Apes, Fan Footage and Girl Band. Plus, Una Mullally meets English indie band Wild Beasts, who discuss breaking the rules while recording their new album

1.35am Led Zeppelin - Celebration Day (Sky Arts)
    The band's one-off reunion performance at London's O2 in 2007 as part of a benefit concert to commemorate the life of Atlantic Records co-founder Ahmet Ertegun. Robert Plant, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones were joined by former member John Bonham's son Jason on drums as the group played a selection of songs from their back catalogue, including Whole Lotta Love, Kashmir, Dazed and Confused and Black Dog

Sunday
    6pm When Patsy Cline was Crazy (Sky Arts)
    Sky are getting a lot of mileage from this show

10pm Transatlantic Sessions - Togha agus Rogha (TG4) New!
    New series. Collaborations between American and Irish traditional musicians. The first episode features Alison Krauss, Sarah Jarosz, Alison Moorer and Rosanne Cash

11.10pm Ar Stáitse - Ralph McTell (TG4)
    As Wednesday

11.15pm The Movie Music of Spike Lee (Sky Arts)
    As Saturday

12.15am Frank Sinatra - The Voice of America (Sky Arts)
    Profile of the singer, looking at what Sinatra was like as a person and examining the key to his success as a performer

2.15am Dean Martin - A Legend In Concert (Sky Arts)

3.15am The Doors - Feast Of Friends (Sky Arts)
    The Doors' 1968 self-produced documentary film offering a cinematic look at the band on the road during their summer tour

... and that is more or less that, if you have seen anything else of interest do let us know. The best Little Richard appearance in a classic detective show of the weekend might be in Columbo: The Murder Of A Rock Star [ITV3, Saturday 2.55pm]

It says here "The crafty detective pits his wits against a brilliant defence lawyer who has never lost a case. The attorney has murdered his rock star girlfriend to prevent her exposing his unethical courtroom tactics, and then framed her lover for the crime." Sounds like Columbo is up against it there.

The only Youtube clip I could find starts off fine with Little Richard on stage, alas when he meets Columbo backstage they start talking french and the bit I could figure was that Chicago and money were mentioned.

Both Columbo and Little Richard do surprisingly good french dialogue, to be fair !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Skid X wrote: »
    Thursday
    7.30pm & Midnight Top Of The Pops 1985 - May 30th (BBC4)
    John Peel and Janice Long present the May 30 edition, with Stephen `Tin Tin' Duffy, Animotion, Billy Ocean, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Scritti Politti and Paul Hardcastle https://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesid=78332&seasonid=655748&id=5857966&lid=7

Janice ended up presenting this episode on her own - thus becoming the first woman to present Pops solo - when Peely understandably decided he wasn't up to it following the Heysel disaster the day before.

Friday
    7.30pm & 12.30am Top Of The Pops 1985 - June 6th (BBC4)
    Simon Bates and Richard Skinner introduce performances by Gary Moore and Phil Lynott, Kool and the Gang, Propaganda, David Bowie, Duran Duran and Paul Hardcastle. First aired June 6 1985 https://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesid=78332&seasonid=655748&id=5857967&lid=7

This was the first episode to feature the video for The Crowd's version of "You'll Never Walk Alone" - which, lest we forget, featured DLT and Rolf.

It's good that BBC4 isn't skipping this episode altogether - or, indeed, the episodes of 13 and 20 June, both due to be shown next week and both featuring "YNWA" at number 1. Over on the Popscene forum, it has been suggested that the video will be cut out completely, or only the first minute (which doesn't feature Travis or Harris) will be shown:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/popscene/1985-t1269-s120.html

Skid X wrote: »
    Looks like the TOTP repeats are continuing into 1986, which is nice.

https://twitter.com/WellSpokenBloke/status/971056472711991297

The repeats have reached the point where Paul Hardcastle is at number 1 - and now it has been announced that they'll continue into the year in which one of his other singles becomes the theme tune. :D:D

Like '85, however, '86 features a large number of Smithed episodes. :o I'll point them out when we get nearer the time.

1986 = Sigue Sigue Sputnik :cool:

*pulls fishnet stocking over head*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

A Wham special after the Genesis special. Sure why not.

OUT! IN...THE...FIELDS!

Philo! :)

Just less than a year before his passing :(

Awesome geetar solo by Gary Moore!

A ‘Yewtree’-d Crowd there!

‘Duel’ by Propaganda! OH YEAH!

Classic ZTT production.

• Advertisement

The first cut won't hurt at all
    The second only makes you wonder
    The third will have you on your knees
    You start bleeding I start screeeeeeam-ing!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

‘Duel’ by Propaganda! OH YEAH!

Classic ZTT production.

I feel sorry for that crash cymbal standing on it's own ;)

Don’t sit on the fence Richard, tell us how you really feel about that Bowie video :D

Excellent documentary about ‘Pet Sounds’ on BBC Four right now - starring Sinister Mike Love :D

Boo-urns!

I see Sky Arts are starting a repeat run of the PBS 'Soundbreaking' series daily from Monday at 5pm (with a further repeat of each episode the following day at 12pm midday, if you follow me)

"This eight-part documentary series traces the history of music recording, featuring interviews with some of the most celebrated recording artists, producers, and music innovators of our time."

I didn't watch it first time around, but I think it was well received

http://soundbreaking.com/

https://www.sky.com/watch/title/series/f01c85cb-ee45-43c9-bd01-4317d07efc21

Hello, for the weekend that's in it the stations are sticking on anything in their library filed under "Irish". Everything from Val Doonican to The Undertones on offer. The renegades in Sky Arts have chosen this week for a healthy dose of Black Sabbath, there's quite a variety on offer ...

Wednesday (BBC4)
    11pm Blues America
    Part1 /2 Woke Up This Morning look at the early years of blues music, a genre which began as a form of black pop, to discover how Bessie Smith, Blind Lemon Jefferson and Charlie Patton used the latest media to bring their sound to the public. With contributions from Keith Richards, Taj Mahal and Chuck D

Midnight Island at the BBC (BBC4)
    Archive performances by artists associated with the Island record label during its 50 years. Tracks include Cat Stevens' Father and Son, Roxy Music's Do the Strand and Bob Marley and the Wailers' Stir It Up. The programme also features Steel Pulse, U2, PJ Harvey, Bob Marley, Amy Winehouse and Baaba Maal

1am Top Of The Pops 1982 - September 9th (BBC4)
    Peter Powell hosts the September 9 edition, with music by Evelyn King, Gillan, Dire Straits, John Cougar Mellencamp, Chicago, Survivor, David Christie and Shakin' Stevens

1.15am Rick Wakeman - The Six Wives of Henry VIII (Sky Arts)

1.35am Top Of The Pops 1982 - September 16th (BBC4)
    Simon Bates hosts the chart show from September 16, featuring Mari Wilson, Simple Minds, Shakatak, the Jam, Adam Ant and Survivor

Thursday
    10.30am Video Killed The Radio Star: Joe Strummer (Sky Arts)

12pm Soundbreaking (Sky Arts)
    Ep3/8 The Human Instrument A look at what goes into recording the perfect vocal track, which is the product of a complex collaboration between performer, producer and sound engineer

3.30pm Video Killed The Radio Star: Elton John (Sky Arts)

5pm Soundbreaking (Sky Arts)
    Ep 4/8 Going Electric Music by the Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Wonder and the Who illustrates the revolutionary role electricity has played in creating never-before-heard sounds

7.30pm & Midnight Top Of The Pops 1985 - June 13th (BBC4)
    Mike Read and Dixie Peach present the June 13 edition, featuring Bruce Springsteen, Madonna, Billy Ocean, Sister Sledge and Marillion https://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesid=78332&seasonid=655748&id=5857968&lid=7

9pm The Ritchie Blackmore Story (2015) (Sky Arts)
    Brian May, Lars Ulrich and Gene Simmons are among those paying tribute to guitarist Ritchie Blackmore, who has played with Deep Purple, Rainbow and the Outlaws among others
    Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9P-tbbOp58

11pm Blues America (BBC4)
    Part 2/2 Bright Lights, Big City Concluding part, looking at blues music in the postwar period, when artists like Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, Howlin' Wolf and John Lee Hooker rooted the genre firmly in the cities, where it contributed to the de-segregation of America by spawning rock 'n' roll. As it moved from black to white audiences, arguments developed about what was the real authentic blues. With contributions from Keith Richards, Bonnie Raitt, Seasick Steve and Buddy Guy

11.15pm Other Voices (RTE2)
    Music by Django Django, Dermot Kennedy and New Jackson, as well as Slow Riot in the Other Room. Presented by Annie Mac, Huw Stephens and May Kay

12.30am Tom Jones at the BBC (BBC4)
    A celebration of the singer's performances, from the start of his career in the 1960s to his appearance on Later with Jools Holland just before he celebrated his 70th birthday in 2010. The programme includes archive footage of the Welshman's appearances on The Dusty Springfield Show and Top of the Pops

Friday
    12pm Soundbreaking (Sky Arts)
    Ep 4/8 Going Electric

3.30pm Video Killed The Radio Star: Blur (Sky Arts)

7pm Last Shop Standing (Sky Arts)
    Documentary examining why nearly 2,000 record shops have already closed across the UK and what the future holds for those remaining. The film charts the rising fortunes of stores during the 1960s, 70s and 80s, the influence of the charts and explores the effect the arrival of new technologies had on the way people bought music. Featuring contributions by shop owners and music industry experts as well as musicians including Paul Weller, Johnny Marr, Norman Cook, Billy Bragg, Nerina Pallot, Richard Hawley and Clint Boon

7.30pm & 11.55pm Top Of The Pops 1985: June 20th
    Janice Long and Gary Davies introduce performances by Sting, Fine Young Cannibals, China Crisis and Harold Faltermeyer. First aired June 20 1985 https://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesid=78332&seasonid=655748&id=5857970&lid=7

Ireland Night on BBC4!
    8pm & 2.25am Songs of Ireland
    Musicians including Brian Kennedy, Cara Dillon, Finbar Furey, Eleanor McEvoy and Luka Bloom perform contemporary and traditional songs from their native Ireland at the Royal Concert Hall, Glasgow, as part of the 2012 Celtic Connections festival. The singers are backed by Irish-American group Solas. Hosted by Ricky Ross

9pm & 12.25am The Irish Rock Story: A Tale of Two Cities
    Documentary telling the story of how rock music evolved in Ireland over 40 years. The film demonstrates how the sounds that emerged were grounded in the musical traditions of the island's two main cities, from the pioneering touring showbands of the late 1950s through to the modern day. Richard Dormer narrates an examination of how the harder sounds of Belfast merged with the more folk-centric traditions of Dublin, celebrates some of the key musicians to have emerged from the Irish scene, and reveals how they were influenced by the political, social and cultural climate of their surroundings. With contributions from U2, Sinead O'Connor and Bob Geldof

10pm & 1.25am Here Comes The Summer - The Undertones Story
    Documentary charting the history of the new wave band from Derry in Northern Ireland, renowned for pop anthem Teenage Kicks, which launched their career in 1978. Featuring interviews with members, their friends and families, who provide an insight into the men who created such hits as Jimmy Jimmy and My Perfect Cousin

11pm Van Morrison Live At Eden
    Recorded at Cornwall's Eden Project in July 2017, the Northern Irish singer-songwriter, instrumentalist and producer performs 14 songs - including well-known hits Here Comes the Night, Moondance and Brown Eyed Girl - to a capacity audience

The Rest:
    9pm Legends Of The Canyon (Sky Arts)

Documentary exploring the musical legacy of Laurel Canyon, a Los Angeles neighbourhood home to musicians including Joni Mitchell, Buffalo Springfield and Crosby, Stills and Nash

11.15pm California Dreamin' The Songs Of The Mamas and The Papas (Sky Arts)
    Documentary charting the success of the Californian pop group, featuring performance and archive footage, and interviews with band members, including Mama Cass. The band provide accounts of the writing and recording process involved in the creation of their hit songs and how they personally dealt with instant fame and success

11.20pm EBBA Music Awards (RTE2)
    Jools Holland hosts the award ceremony, which celebrates the achievements of 10 emerging European musical acts who have gained strong followings beyond their home countries

12.20am The Windmill Lane Sessions (TG4)
    Performances by some of today's best Irish and international music acts, filmed at the Windmill Lane Recording Studios in Dublin, featuring Re, Original Rudeboys and Alien Envoy

12.30am Classic Albums : The Grateful Dead - From Anthem To Beauty (Sky Arts)
    The making of the Grateful Dead albums Anthem of the Sun and American Beauty

1.25am Other Voices (RTE2)
    Music by Django Django, Dermot Kennedy and New Jackson, as well as Slow Riot in the Other Room. Presented by Annie Mac, Huw Stephens and May Kay

1.50am Genesis: When In Rome (Sky Arts)
    The rock band perform in front of 500,000 fans at Rome's Circo Massimo during their Turn It On Again concert tour of Europe and North America in 2007

Saturday (St Patrick's Day)
    6am Madness Live at Eden (BBC Red Button, repeated on loop at various times over weekend)

12pm Soundbreaking (Ep1, The Recording Artist) (Sky Arts)

1pm Soundbreaking (Ep2 Painting with Sound) (Sky Arts)

6pm Video Killed The Radio Star - Guns N Roses (Sky Arts)

6.30pm Led Zeppelin - Celebration Day (Sky Arts)

The band's one-off reunion performance at London's O2 in 2007 as part of a benefit concert to commemorate the life of Atlantic Records co-founder Ahmet Ertegun. Robert Plant, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones were joined by former member John Bonham's son Jason on drums as the group played a selection of songs from their back catalogue, including Whole Lotta Love, Kashmir, Dazed and Confused and Black Dog

7pm Sounds Of The Sixties (Yesterday)
    The Singer and the Song Archive clips featuring solo artists, including music by performers as diverse as Sandie Shaw, Dusty Springfield, Long John Baldry and Tom Jones

7.30pm Sounds Of The Sixties (Yesterday)
    Hip to the Trip Celebration of the decade's psychedelic music, featuring counter-culture classics by the Who, Pink Floyd, Joe Cocker, the Nice and the Jimi Hendrix Experience

8pm Sounds Of The Seventies (Yesterday)
    Long Ago and Far Away Selection of archive performances from the decade, including music by singer-songwriters including Carole King, James Taylor, Neil Young, Randy Newman and Don McLean

8.30pm Sounds Of The Seventies (Yesterday)
    Comin' Home to You A selection of archive performances from the decade, featuring the Eagles, Eric Clapton and Dire Straits

8.30pm Val Doonican - An Fear a Shiuil go hard (TG4)
    Documentary about the singer, exploring his six decade- showbiz career and the influence the death of his father had on his life

8.45pm Pat Shortt's Music From D'Telly (RTE1)
    Selection of classic performances from the RTE archives

9pm TOTP2 - Boy Bands (Yesterday)
    Music compilation show celebrating some of the most popular boy bands to have graced TV screens since the 1960s. The programme highlights performances by acts defined by vocal harmonies, synchronised dance-steps and character appeal, including JLS, the Four Tops, the Monkees, Westlife, Village People and Blazin' Squad

9pm St Patricks Night Concert 2018 (BBC2 NI) New!
    Lynette Fay presents as the Ulster Orchestra and guests Brian Kennedy, Beoga, Roe, Karl McGuckin and Carolyn Dobbin take part in the event at St Anne's Cathedral in Belfast

9pm & 3am Black Sabbath - The End of The End (Sky Arts) New!
    Documentary charting the band's last gig, a sold-out home town performance on February 4, 2017, at Birmingham's 16,000-seat Genting Arena [The Concert itself is on Sunday]

10pm Chieftains 2016 (TG4)
    Mairead Ni Mhaonaigh introduces a performance from Glasgow's Royal Concert Hall, in which the band celebrate a century of Irish music, joined by guests John Sheahan, Eddi Reader, Kris Kristofferson, Declan O'Rourke and Karan Casey

10pm TOTP2 - Girl Groups (Yesterday)
    A selection of performances by some of the most popular all-girl groups to have appeared on the show, from the pop-soul vocal ensembles of the 1960s to the glamorous bands of the new millennium. Includes songs by the Supremes, Labelle, TLC, Spice Girls, the Pointer Sisters and B*Witched

10.30pm & 3.15am TOTP2 - St Patrick's Day Special (BBC4)
    Steve Wright narrates a St Patrick's Day special, featuring archive performances by the Boomtown Rats, the Corrs, Enya, Shane McGowan and Johnny Depp, Stiff Little Fingers, Thin Lizzy, Sinead O'Connor and U2

11pm Shane MacGowan: A Wreck Reborn (Sky Arts)
    Documentary charting the restoration of the Pogues frontman's teeth and shedding light on the lifestyle that led to their dismal state of repair. The hope is that the dental reconstruction will bring back his old singing voice and MacGowan tests out his new gnashers with a performance of Christmas anthem Fairytale of New York

11.15pm Irish Rock at the BBC (BBC4)
    A compilation of Irish rock performances from the early 1970s onwards, with acts including Thin Lizzy, Ash, the Undertones, Stiff Little Fingers, U2, Sinead O'Connor, the Pogues, Imelda May, The Strypes, Hozier and the Divine Comedy. The programme features clips from a variety of BBC shows, including the Old Grey Whistle Test, Top of the Pops, and Later with Jools Holland

Midnight The Cranberries (Sky Arts)
    Tribute

12.15am Top Of The Pops 1985 - June 13th (BBC4)

12.30am Villagers Live at Route du Rock Festival 2016 (Sky Arts)

12.45am Top Of The Pops 1985 - June 20th (BBC4)

2am Live From The Artists Den - Damien Rice (Sky Arts)

Sunday
    11.45am Soundbreaking Ep4 Going Electric (Sky Arts)

12.45pm Soundbreaking Ep5 Four To The Floor (Sky Arts)

9pm Black Sabbath - The End (Sky Arts) New!
    The rock band's last gig, a sold-out home town performance on February 4, 2017, at Birmingham's 16,000-seat Genting Arena

10pm Transatlantic Sessions - Togha agus Rogha (TG4)
    Togha agus Rogha presents major artists, including Dirk Powell, Alison Krauss, Bela Fleck and James Taylor

11.15pm Film: Shirley (RTE1)
    Biopic of Shirley Bassey, charting the singer's early career, from her humble roots in 1930s Wales - where she was born the youngest of eight children to a mixed-race couple - to the start of her rise to international stardom in the 1960s. Shirley dreams of success when a London agent plucks her from singing in the clubs and grooms her into a solo performer fit to take on the world. But the future star is hiding the fact that she is an unmarried teenage mother, and reluctantly hands her daughter over to her elder sister while she works night and day to achieve her dream. Ruth Negga (Misfits) stars, with Lesley Sharp, Charlie Creed-Miles and Henry Lloyd-Hughes

11.15pm RTE Choice Music Award 2018 (RTE2)
    Highlights of the music award ceremony from Dublin's Vicar Street, which featured performances by a selection of this year's nominees
    https://www.rte.ie/culture/2018/0109/932077-rte-choice-music-prize-shortlist-revealed/

11.20pm Saxon at Wacken 2014 (Sky Arts)

12.35am Deep Purple: Perfect Strangers (Sky Arts)

In 1984, the classic Deep Purple line-up of Ian Gillan, Ritchie Blackmore, Roger Glover, Jon Lord and Ian Paice reunited for the album Perfect Strangers and went on tour. This is the film of their concert in Melbourne, featuring performances of Highway Star, Strange Kind of Woman, Child in Time, Black Night, Speed King and Smoke on the Water

3am The Ritchie Blackmore Story (Sky Arts)
    Brian May, Lars Ulrich and Gene Simmons are among those paying tribute to guitarist Ritchie Blackmore, who has played with Deep Purple, Rainbow and the Outlaws among others

... RTE showing the Shirley Bassey film this weekend - The Manfred Mann singer broke the sad news of her death to a shocked Cardiff audience this week. Only she is still alive and kicking, so that's a relief http://www.nme.com/news/music/shirley-bassey-responds-falsely-pronounced-dead-2258897

Sadly, it hasn't been a good week for some other legends and Ken Dodd left the stage for the final time. A reminder of the time he appeared on Granada with a young Irish chancer and a popular beat combo of the day. John+Paul+George+Ringo+Ken+Gay, salute to whoever decided not to tape over the recording ...

RIP Doddy :(

Presenting the third biggest-selling single of the 1960’s in the UK (couldn’t find any songs by Jim Bowen)...

And RIP Liam O’Flynn :(

Hopefully, some Planxty stuff can be shoehorned into the weekend schedule. :)

If you were in the right ITV region in 1968 you could enjoy the hits of the day on Doddy's Music Box, Doddy's Trailer is introduced by Diddy David Hamilton

https://twitter.com/crossroadssoap/status/973320028392251393

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

And RIP Liam O’Flynn :(

Hopefully, some Planxty stuff can be shoehorned into the weekend schedule. :)

Very sad news that. I've always been a lover of his work.

Thanks for the heads up, Skid. I'd never have spotted the blues stuff tonight and tomorrow on BBC4.

Advertisement