Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Skid X wrote: »
    I think I might be a bit younger ... although I have little need for that Aussie Shampoo anymore, sadly.

I bit the bullet last weekend and took the bush beard off after 25 years. Well, I took it down to a number 1. I went over to my son in the pub during the Liverpool match and it took him a few seconds to recognise me. I think it was the fact that I was wearing his collectors item L'pool top that gave it away.
    The hair is next.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

How do? Sky Arts goes large on The Isle Of Wight Festival this weekend, so here's all of that to start with (The simulcasts on Sky One are marked below)

https://isleofwightfestival.com/

Isle of Wight

Thursday
    12.15am 2018 Highlights (Manic Street Preachers, The Killers,Travis)

Friday
    4pm 2018 Highlights (Kasabian, The Script, Feeder)
    5pm 2018 Highlights (Liam Gallagher, Depeche Mode, Soul II Soul)
    6pm 2018 Highlights (Manic Street Preachers, The Killers,Travis)
    7pm-9pm 2019 General
    9pm Lily Allen
    9.55pm The Courteneers
    11pm Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds ** Also on Sky One

Saturday
    5pm General
    7.10pm Rick Astley
    7.50pm Bastille
    9pm George Ezra ** Also on Sky One
    10.35pm Fatboy Slim ** Also on Sky One
    Midnight Garbage
    1am Isle Of Wight 20 Greatest Moments (Paul McCartney, Rolling Stones, Sex Pistols etc)

Sunday
    5pm General
    7.25pm Jess Glynne
    8.30pm Madness
    9.30pm Richard Ashcroft
    10pm Biffy Clyro **Also on Sky One
    11.30pm Keane **Also on Sky One

So that's a solid enough line up, maybe? If you miss it they will repeat it. A lot.
    Elsewhere there is a chance to Get Your Yacht Rock, get your Yacht Rock Honey as BBC4 starts that two parter about Yacht Rock, which sounds like they are just making up genres. Katie Puckrick who used to present The Word hosts. TOTP limps into 1988 and lots of other shows to enjoy too, maybe with a nice Orange Whip

Thursday
    7.25am Classic Quadrophenia (Sky Arts)
    From London's Royal Albert Hall, Pete Townshend, the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, conductor Robert Ziegler and a host of guests put a classical spin on the Who's 1973 album

4pm Music Videos That Shaped The 80s (Sky Arts)
    A look at how the introduction of music videos affected the industry, with contributions by Bob Geldof, Herbie Hancock and directors David Mallet and Russell Mulcahy

9pm A Little Bit Showband - Tina (TG4)
    The life of Tina Reynolds, born Philomena Quinn, who sang with the Mexicans, Jim Farley's big band the Tophatters, the Real McCoy and the Nevada Showband

9pm & 3am Our Classical Century: 1980s onwards (BBC4)
    Suzy Klein and Alexandra Burke explore the classical music world from the 1980s onwards, including performances by Nigel Kennedy and Steven Isserlis

12.25am Other Voices (RTE2)
    Music by Isaac Gracie, Hudson Taylor and Them There, with Le Boom in the Other Room. Presented by Annie Mac, Huw Stephens and May Kay

1.15am Studio 54: The Documentary (Sky Arts)
    This was on last week. Reliable sources report that Nile Rodgers is involved

3am The South Bank Show Originals - Nick Cave (Sky Arts)
    Melvyn Bragg revisits an edition from 2003 featuring Nick Cave, where the Australian singer-songwriter revealed his deep interest in dark love songs

Friday
    7pm & Midnight Top Of The Pops 1988 - January 7 (BBC4)
    featuring Sinitta, Jellybean, Depeche Mode, George Michael, Terence Trent D'Arby, GOSH, the Stranglers, Pet Shop Boys and Joyce Sim

8pm Buble At The BBC (BBC4)
    Singer Michael Bublé performs a selection of his best-known hits as well as songs from his new album Nobody But Me, and also talks to Claudia Winkleman about his life and career

9pm & 2.35am I Can Go For That: The Smooth Sound Of Yacht Rock (BBC4) New!
    Part one of two. Katie Puckrik revisits a musical genre honed in Los Angeles of soft rock with roots in R'n'B and themes of longing, aspiration and melancholy
    http://realscreen.com/2019/05/17/iwc-preps-yacht-rock-docuseries-for-bbc4/

9pm Elvis Presley - The Searcher (Sky Atlantic)
    Part one of two. Documentary about the singer, beginning with his early life in Tupelo, Mississippi, and his unprecedented rise to fame over a single year. Concludes tomorrow

10pm & 1.30am Top Of The Pops 1979 Big Hits (BBC4)
    A look at the year music went portable with the launch of the Sony walkman, and saw the Mod revival and 2-tone music flourish with the Jam, the Specials, Madness and the Selecter

11pm People's History Of Pop (BBC4)
    1997-2010, Closer Than Close Sara Cox examines the turn of the century when the internet opened up new worlds for music fans and brought them closer to their musical heroes than ever before

11.10pm Film: Popstar - Never Stop Never Stopping (Film4)
    A former boy band member does everything he can to maintain his celebrity status. Comedy, starring Andy Samberg and Jorma Taccone

12.30am California Comes To The Whistle Test (BBC4)
    Performances by artists who lived and worked in the US state during the 1970s. Featuring Jackson Browne, Little Feat, Ry Cooder, Judee Sill and Bonnie Raitt

12.30am Come Together - The Rise Of The Festival (Sky Arts)
    Documentary examining the evolution of the music festival, from Newport, Monterey Pop, Woodstock and Isle of Wight in the 1960s to modern events such as Glastonbury and Coachella

2.05am Mumford and Sons Live From South Africa: Dust And Thunder (Sky Arts)

Saturday
    4pm Music Videos That Shaped The 80s (Sky Arts)

6pm Queen Victoria - My Musical Britain (BBC2)
    Lucy Worsley explores the character and legacy of the famous monarch through music, including the establishment of the Royal College of Music and the Royal Albert Hall

7pm Guitar Heroes At The BBC (Yesterday)
    Includes performances by Jimi Hendrix, Pete Townshend, Fleetwood Mac, AC/DC, Thin Lizzy, the Jam and Free

7.45pm The Hit List (BBC1)
    Beat The Intro Gameshow

8.15pm Opry An Iúir (TG4)
    With TR Dallas

9pm Film The Blues Brothers (ITV4)

9pm Elvis Presley - The Searcher (Sky Atlantic)
    Part 2/2

11pm Fathers And Songs: Music For Father's Day (BBC4)
    A selection of songs that celebrate fatherhood and probe the emotional complexities of a man's relationship with his son or daughter. Featured artists include Cat Stevens. Cat Stevens was once voted the 116th Sexiest Woman In The World by readers of FHM, probably with the help of people who confused him with Cat Deeley of SMTV Live

Midnight TOTP2 - The Sixties (BBC4)
    featuring Clodagh Rodgers, the Move, Tom Jones and the Bee Gees. Narrated by Mark Radcliffe

12.30am Top Of The Pops 1988 - January 7 (BBC4)

3am Queen Rock Montreal (Sky Arts)
    1981 Concert

Sunday
    3.15pm Film Mr Holland's Opus (RTE1)
    A frustrated composer takes a temporary teaching job to make ends meet, only to learn over the years that it is his true vocation. Drama, with Richard Dreyfuss and Glenne Headly

3.30pm Music Icons: Cream (Sky Arts)
    A look at the music of the 1960s British rock trio, consisting of Ginger Baker, Eric Clapton and Jack Bruce

8.30pm Pat Shortt's Music From D'Telly (RTE1)
    Featuring an appearance by singer-songwriter duo Cook and Greenaway on a 2004 episode of Coulter and Company, and a 1970s report on the Tulla Ceile band phenomenon

9.30pm Tradfest TG4 (TG4)
    Doireann Ní Ghlacáin travels to Dublin Castle to see I Draw Slow, a bluegrass band who have recently moved into a dominant position in the American folk music scene

10.30pm Genatraí (TG4)
    Colm and John Regan, Mick O'Brien, Seamus Glackin and Seán Howley, and Maighread and Tríona Ní Dhomhnaill perform at Merchant Pub in Dublin. Hosted by Brendan Begley

11pm Ceolchuairt - Sardinia (TG4)
    Piper Mick O Brien embarks on a musical pilgrimage to Sardinia, where he meets Luigi Lai, who plays an ancient three-reed cane pipe called the Launeddas

Midnight Video Killed The Radio Star - Oasis (Sky Arts)
    Nigel Dick chats about the inspiration for the videos for Oasis songs Wonderwall, Champagne Supernova, The Importance of Being Idle and Don't Look Back in Anger

Elsewhere RTE Radio 1's Doc On One returned last week with a repeat of a show about Jeff Buckley's time in Ireland, you can stream or download that here https://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/2016/1104/829140-sin-e-jeff-buckleys-irish-odyssey/

And new to Netflix is 'Rolling Thunder Review - A Bob Dylan Story By Martin Scorcese' which looks class

Finally The Best defence of Paul McCartney against his critics in a BBC Panel Show might be this contribution from Josh Widdicombe in Room 101 (Saturday 7pm & 1.05pm, and Sunday 4pm on Dave)

(starts at 50 seconds in)

And as featured in that show, Paul really doesn't get the credit for his Charity work. Here he is being the face of Age Cymru's Winter Appeal.

5jd54m8n2z001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

The Manics were always a band that I half liked but found them quite middle of the road. They're sounding decent here though.

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    The Manics were always a band that I half liked but found them quite middle of the road. They're sounding decent here though.

They were originally going to call themselves 'The cats eyes'.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

"8pm Buble At The BBC (BBC4)
    Singer Michael Bublé performs a selection of his best-known hits as well as songs from his new album Nobody But Me, and also talks to Claudia Winkleman about his life and career"

So, 57 mins of talking to Claudia Winkleman and a performance of I Just Haven't Met You Yet.

I gotta be honest, folks, I don't get the Bouble deal. Isn't he (or is he) part if the Cowell crowd?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72,658 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Pontiac GTO ;)

I’ve forgotten how the lyrics go :pac:

Calling Ol’Donie to the thread!

Martin Gore of the Mode with a tasty-looking Gretsch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

That's a nice Gretch Martin Gore is playing. Tis no White Falcon though.

• Advertisement

Spinal Tap’s Joe ‘Mama’ Besser on the drumstool for The Stranglers :)

Bonnie Langford! Sylvester McCoy! The guy from Go West!

How could it fail? :D

Better be some Steely Dan on this ‘Yacht Rock’ documentary :cool:

Hands down, my favourite band to be named after...oops, better google it. :eek:

Calling Ol’Donie to the thread!

Martin Gore of the Mode with a tasty-looking Gretsch :)

Where? What?

Ah bejaysus. There should be a batphone for these things. Or a batsignal. A silhouette of Neil Sedaka in the sky. That'd do it.

Jaysus...is that what the lead singer of Toto looks like?! :eek:

I’ll take a table for two, near the back :D

Jaysus...is that what the lead singer of Toto looks like?! :eek:

I’ll take a table for two, near the back :D

Spitting Image of this lad

?width=375&version=1454783

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Better be some Steely Dan on this ‘Yacht Rock’ documentary :cool:

Hands down, my favourite band to be named after...oops, better google it. :eek:

I'm not sure how they fit into this "Yacht Rock" thing, I never would have filed them alongside AOR shyte like Toto.

Ooh, it is nice.

If I had a guitar like that, I, too, would forget to take off my leather jacket when I was under the lights in an indoor tv studio.

‘Get It Up For Love’

Fjc54zM.jpg

• Advertisement

Donie, have a look at the top three videos in this link when you have time.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=captain+bernie+marsden

Granted, there's a bit of subliminal plugging but he has a lovely collection and tells a few stories about the guitars and how he came across them. Needless to say, "The Beast" gets a few outings. One serious guitar. He lends it to Joe Bonamassa from time to time.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Donie, have a look at the top three videos in this link when you have time.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=captain+bernie+marsden

Granted, there's a bit of subliminal plugging but he has a lovely collection and tells a few stories about the guitars and how he came across them. Needless to say, "The Beast" gets a few outings. One serious guitar. He lends it to Joe Bonamassa from time to time.

Love it, thanks Sligojoe!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The Eagles, now thats Yacht Rock.

Who can forget the mechanic from ‘Coronation Street’ recording a cover of ‘She’s Gone’ with Destiny’s Child? :eek:

Do It Again :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭human 19

I cant sign up to this "Yacht Rock" moniker. Makes me wonder if "Adult oriented rock" is also a good encompassing title for this so-called genre. That suggests you have to be above a certain age to appreciate the music, which is not the case. Now I would just call it Dad-rock. Smooth-rock would probably be more fitting.

"Treble Rock" would also not be totally inappropriate

Who can forget the mechanic from ‘Coronation Street’ recording a cover of ‘She’s Gone’ with Destiny’s Child? :eek:

Ha, I was thinking of that one too

I think Beyonce has destroyed all evidence of the video, which has all of Destiny's Child in a TV in the corner merrily singing the backing stuff while the chap from Corrie (the real star, obviously) hogs the attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm not sure how they fit into this "Yacht Rock" thing, I never would have filed them alongside AOR shyte like Toto.

At best you could say they were the arch cynics of the west coast sound. But they were really far bigger thematically than any niche.

• Advertisement

Nile Rodgers Alert on BBC FOUR!

CODE RED!!

Advertisement