Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Bros are apparently claiming to be from Cork

One of them said in an interview recently

“I’ve been told my whole life that my grandfather’s mum and dad were born in Cork, so I’m asking for peoples’ help to try and trace my roots, see where they were born. It’s more than a gig for me. The Irish have a way of making you feel at home. I’ve always felt so welcome in Ireland. I’m looking forward to that warmth, I mean it.

https://www.echolive.ie/downtown/Are-you-related-to-Bros-Help-Matt-and-Luke-Goss-trace-their-Cork-roots-e18692f9-8688-4a90-8690-6bdce9008c4f-ds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

The docu on bros was cringing, two plonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,658 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Skid X wrote: »

That faint sound you hear is the door of every single house and business in Cark being slammed shut and locked tight :D

‘Just Like Paradise’...ah yeah! :cool:

BATES! HOW LOW CAN YOU GO?

p059mw3w.jpg

• Advertisement

The Irish Minister For Health Simon Harris in at number 29 :D

I didn't know the Pet Shop Boys wrote that Patsy Kensit song

I do remember she predicted confidently around then that she would win the Best Actress Oscar sometime in the next decade

Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,957 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

‘Just Like Paradise’...ah yeah! :cool:

I like to play Skyscraper every now and then. Tis a good album.

Play The Primitives!

tenor.gif

Eric B and Derek B, a bit unlucky to hit the charts at almost exactly the same time.

• Advertisement

Peter Powell and Simon Bates getting down with the kids by wearing the blandest Grandad clothes!

Evening, Mr. Harket.

giphy.gif

Apparently the b side to 'Stay on these roads' is 'Stay on these motorways' ;)

“A song which is justifiably at number 18 on the chart.”

:confused:

Up the Irons :D

MAIDEN!!

One of Graham Chapman’s final appearances.

This is all very good, now play ‘Just Like Paradise’ in full :D

The Travelling Wilburys just put the rarely seen original video for Wilbury Twist back on Youtube ... featuring cameo appearances from the likes of Milli Vanilli and Jimmy Nail :D

I think Milli Vanilli were miming

Decent Rush documentary on Sky Arts now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

“A song which is justifiably at number 18 on the chart.”

:confused:

Partridge?

• Advertisement

sligojoek wrote: »
    Partridge?

Peter Powell!

Matt Goss went water-skiing with The Edge in the Irish Sea?! :D

I'm sort of enjoying Bros so far

Bad time to make a ‘Drop The Boy’ reference? :o

This resembles Alan Partridge's studio based recreation of his own house in 'Knowing Me Knowing Yule'

Matt and Luke seem like genuine nice guys...now time for Matt to put the Chat Amongst The Pigeons :cool:

Hello, once again lets have a look at what's happening on the television in the coming weekend. If you have the Sky Arts and like Punk then you have lots to choose from. There's all sorts including more than one Doc called 'Punk' which is confusing.

BBC4 alas is still on the Proms and has little else including the fewest TOTP ever in recent years. One Bowie Doc is all they can muster, although it is a good one ...

Wednesday
    12.20am INXS: Never Tear Us Apart (RTE1)
    Documentary examining the story of the hugely successful Australian rock band. The programme features the group in concert and introduces new lead singer Jon Stevens. The RTE1 continuity announcer was raving about this on Saturday afternoon

Thursday
    7.30pm Top Of The Pops 1988 – April 7 (BBC4)
    Gary Davies and Simon Mayo present the programme, first broadcast on 7 April 1988 and featuring Taylor Dayne, Fleetwood Mac, Glen Goldsmith, Hazell Dean, Natalie Cole, AC/DC

10pm Sounds New – BBC Arts NI Presents (BBC2 NI)
    Stephen McCauley presents performances by homegrown musical talent, featuring alt-rock duo Rews, indie pop band Brand New Friend and art rockers Robocobra Quartet

10.50pm Pet Shop Boys – A Life In Pop (Sky Arts)
    Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe talk about their early days in the 1980s, and artists including Robbie Williams and Scissor Sisters' Jake Shears discuss the influence of the pop duo

Midnight – The 2000s: I Want My MP3s (Sky Arts)
    A look back at the music of the decade and the shift to digital distribution, highlighting just how rapidly technology changed over those 10 years

1am Korn: Loud Krazy Love (Sky Arts)
    A film about the life of Brian Welch of rock band Korn and how it changed when he walked away from a $23m record deal and vowed to kick his drug habit and become a good father, which was on last week

3am Classic Albums: Frank Zappa – Apostrophe And Over-Nite Sensation (Sky Arts)

Friday
    7pm Classic Albums: Sex Pistols – Never Mind The Boll**ks (Sky Arts)

7.30pm BBC Proms: Schumann Schoenberg and Mozart (BBC4)

8pm Discovering: Iggy Pop (Sky Arts)

8.30pm Music Icons – The Ramones (Sky Arts)

9pm TRNSMT 2019 Highlights (BBC Alba)
    More highlights of this on BBC Scotland at 10.30pm tomorrow

9pm Punk (Sky Arts) New!
    Ep 1 of 4 Iggy Pop narrates an exploration of the genre, starting with a look at how Detroit bands the Stooges and MC5 influenced the New York City scene of the early 1970s. Part 2 follows
    10.15pm Punk (Sky Arts)
    Ep 2 of 4 A look at the impact of Ramones' visit to London in 1976, where they discovered a vibrant punk scene and launched a second British invasion of America. Iggy Pop narrates
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/iggy-pop-punk-docuseries-epix-767367/

10pm David Bowie And The Story Of Ziggy Stardust (BBC4)
    Jarvis Cocker narrates this insight into how the singer created his glam-rock alter ego Ziggy Stardust. Featuring contributions by Elton John, Marc Almond and Holly Johnson
    In full on Youtube

11pm BBC Proms - Public Service Broadcasting (BBC4)
    Cerys Matthews introduces Public Service Broadcasting, who take to the Royal Albert Hall stage to perform a new orchestral arrangement of their album The Race for Space

11.30pm The Damned: Don’t You Wish We Were Dead (Sky Arts)
    Documentary charting the complex history of the influential punk band, who formed in London in 1976
    Trailer

12.10am Top Of The Pops 1988 – April 7 (BBC4)
    This was on yesterday

1.40am Anarchy In Manchester (Sky Arts)
    Highlights from Granada TV's 1970s music show So It Goes, hosted by Factory Records co-founder Tony Wilson. The first episode features an appearance by Sex Pistols

2.10am Anarchy In Manchester (Sky Arts)
    Another selection of highlights from 1970s music show So It Goes, with performances by the Stranglers, Nick Lowe and the Clash, and poetry by John Cooper Clarke

2.35am Here To Be Heard: The Story Of The Slits (Sky Arts)
    Documentary about the all-female band, who formed in London in 1976 and produced some of the most influential and innovative music of the punk movement

Saturday
    1am The Beach Boys – An American Family Parts 1&2 (True Entertainment)
    “Overall, a great watch. If you appreciate good music, and if you are a fan of the Beach Boys (casual or fanatic), you should buy this TV-movie whenever it becomes available to buy on video. 9/10” said Snacksforall back in 2000. Sure you can just tape it, snacks.

4.35pm Elvis - The Early Years Parts 1&2 (True Entertainment)
    The one with Jonathan Rhys Meyers as Elvis

4pm Classic Albums: Deep Purple – Machine Head (Sky Arts)
    5pm & 2.10am Classic Albums Sex Pistols – Never Mind The Boll**ks (Sky Arts)
    6pm Classic Albums: The Who – Who’s Next (Sky Arts)

7pm Paul Weller: May Love Travel With You (Sky Arts)
    The singer-songwriter performs at London's Royal Festival Hall accompanied by an orchestra, playing a career-spanning set from Jam classics to songs from latest album True Meanings

7pm Fleetwood Mac – Don’t Stop (Yesterday)
    Doc featuring Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks

8pm TOTP2 – The Story Of 1978 (Yesterday)

8pm The Jazz Singer (True Entertainment)

8pm The History Of The Clash (Sky Arts)
    Documentary exploring the band's career. Featuring interviews with Mick Jones, Paul Simonon and Topper Headon, plus archive contributions by Joe Strummer

8.50pm Pat Shortt’s Music From D’Telly (RTE1)
    Rarely seen performances from six decades of RTÉ music TV, featuring Waylon Jennings, Brush Shiels, Johnny Cash, John Denver and Irish songwriter Jimmy Kennedy

9pm Punk: Attitude (Sky Arts)
    Documentary charting the history of punk rock, featuring contributions by Tommy Ramone, David Johansen, Jello Biafra, Siouxsie Sioux, Paul Simonon, Chrissie Hynde and Henry Rollins. Confusingly, this is not part of the Iggy Pop Punk series which is also on Sky Arts this weekend. Although it probably travels similar ground

10.25pm Film: That’ll Be The Day (True Entertainment)
    A school dropout drifts through a succession of dead-end jobs until he discovers a passion for rock 'n' roll. Drama, starring David Essex and Ringo Starr

10.50pm Hell Quo Hello Quo (BBC4)
    Documentary examining rock band Status Quo's five-decade history, featuring rarely seen archive material as well as footage of the 2012 reunion of the group's original line-up

11pm Punk (Sky Arts)
    Part 1, which was on yesterday

12.10am Sinatra: All Or Nothing At All (BBC4)
    Part 3

12.15am Punk (Sky Arts)
    Part 2, which was on yesterday

12.20am Hank Williams - The Show He Never Gave (True Entertainment)
    Country singer Hank Williams imagines a perfect concert as he prepares to perform on what will be the last night of his life. Fact-based drama, with Sneezy Waters and Dixie Seatle
    I remember Sligojoek saying he enjoyed this. Here is a poor quality version on Youtube, the commenters also liked it

1.30am Sex Pistols- There’ll Always Be An England (Sky Arts)
    2007 Money Grabbing Concert

3am Soundstage Presents – New York Dolls In Concert (Sky Arts)

Sunday
    7pm Lynyrd Skynyrd – Live From Jacksonville (Sky Arts)

7pm BBC Proms - Nicola Benedetti (BBC4)

9pm Eric Clapton – Planes, Trains & Eric (Sky Arts)
    Documentary film following the guitarist on the Far and Middle Eastern legs of his 2014 world tour, featuring interviews, backstage footage and concert performances

10.45pm Queen – The Phenomenon (Sky Arts)
    One of the many, many Queen docs

Midnight The Damned – Don’t You Wish That We Were Dead (Sky Arts)
    Friday

1.05am YoYo Ma And The The Silk Road Ensemble (BBC4)
    Thing about a Cello player. BBC4 weren’t really bothering this weekend. They had a promising looking show on Sunday Night called Captain Jack And The Furious Few, which would be an excellent Band name but it’s about a World War II Pilot

That's more or less it, as always do let us know if there are any glaring omissions up above. Or anything decent on Netflix or that kind of thing

If you enjoy the Punk listings up above this random 1977 TV show 'Impact' with The Damned, The Adverts, The Rich Kids and Generation X might be of interest. Never made it to air, apparently. Lots of good stuff on that Youtube channel

And finally, The Best Film Of The Week Mentioned In The Second Last Line Of Gin Soaked Boy By The Divine Comedy might be The Fly (Sunday 1.40am Film4)

I'm the half truth in the lie
    I'm the why not in the why
    I'm the last roll of the di
    I'm the old school in the tie
    I'm the spirit in the sky
    I'm the catcher in the rye
    I'm the twinkle in her eye
    I'm Jeff Goldblum in "The Fly"
    Well, who am I?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭corkie

^^^ Hello Quo https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03hy6vp

Not Hell Quo
    Documentary recounting Status Quo's epic story. The original members of the band tell their story, alongside interviews from some prominent Quo fans like Paul Weller and Brian May.

Thought you left it off the list when I couldn't find it? I didn't include it in my movie list, because I was sure you would include it.

• Advertisement

corkie wrote: »
    ^^^ Hello Quo https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03hy6vp

Not Hell Quo

Thought you left it off the list when I couldn't find it? I didn't include it in my movie list, because I was sure you would include it.

Aha, stoopid typo.

Fixed now, thanks

Good list of films on your themoviedb page, nice one.

Advertisement