Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Conqueror

Pat And Mick!

Be afraid...

SourMeaslyBarnacle-small.gif

At least the ending of The Roxy means Pat can concentrate on his philanthropic music career.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,656 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Gary Davies in sports casual.

65dbf46e-b00b-4372-ae76-d8f3a4d4d641.jpg?template=fundraisingpagegalleryxl

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

There was quite a long period where I used to get confused between Eddi Reader (Fairground Attraction) confused with Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam)

Look, I was mostly getting my pop news from Ceefax and Oracle and the reception was lousy.

Star Turn on 45 Pints at number 39. No doubt managed by Paddy Losty.

Siobhan Fahey-less Bananarama.

john-cleese-no.gif

• Advertisement

Skid X wrote: »
    There was quite a long period where I used to get confused between Eddi Reader (Fairground Attraction) confused with Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam)

Look, I was mostly getting my pop news from Ceefax and Oracle and the reception was lousy.

That’s nothing, Skidoo...there was a long period of time where I used to get confused between Will Downing and KK Downing from Judas Priest.

Look, I was mostly getting my pop news from ‘The Roxy’. No wonder it was axed. :D

Hang on, "Michael Jackson with the Jackson 5"? Does that make it 6 Jacksons, or is Michael counted double?

THE CLASSIC!

Aaaaw...that’s baaad. :(

No...that’s goood. :)

Yes, don't forget to watch the Eurovision Song Contest. Time for Pat Kenny to go global, baby!

Mother...of...god... :eek:

Simon Le Bon really sank to a new low in ‘88!

With Fiona Bruce’s haircut! :D

• Advertisement

A respectable second place in the Eurosong, runner-up to Celine somebody.

Bruce Forsyth's daughter co-wrote this song and Brucie appeared on the Late Late Show the night before the Eurovision (which was in Dublin) and he was brilliant, one of my favourite guests ever.

Scott was robbed by Celine Dion that year (Not literally robbed but he should have won)

Haven't see the LLS appearance again alas, but here's Bruce talking about the Eurovision on Room 101

Adrian John

:confused::confused::confused:

5108663144_f6c83967df_b.jpg

And now, Magnum!

Steady, ladies :D

‘Alphabet Street’ - classic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Hey Skid. Is everything OK?

If my old mate was alive he'd be texting me wondering what's on for the weekend.

In other news, it turns out myself and BandMember discovered on another thread that we know each other for about 15 years.

The sneaky f*cker knew who I was all the time. :D:D:D:pac:

Hi, this week is all about Woodstock and The Fleadh, one of them having it's 50th anniversary and the other is returning to Drogheda for a second lap. Hours and Hours of that every evening from Thusday to Sunday on TG4, if you have any interest in the Trad it is well worth dipping in. Other stuff on offer too, although BBC4 have an alarmingly low level of music programming, down with that sort of thing ...

Fleadh TV
    Thurs-Sun 8.30pm-11.30pm TG4

https://www.tg4.ie/en/programmes/fleadhtv/
    Presented by Hector, Róisín O and Doireann Ní Ghlacáin, the lineup for this week’s FleadhTV is shaping up to be one of the best yet. Hot House Flowers, Frankie Gavin & The Provenance, Horslips, Kilfenora Céilí Band, Lankum, Zoe Conway with Dubliners legend John Sheahan, The Stevie Dunne Band, Altan, Fidil, Kate Rusby Band and more!

Broadcast live over four evenings from Thursday August 15th to Sunday 18th, FleadhTV is on air from 8.30pm until 11.30pm nightly on TG4 and will be available worldwide on the TG4 Player, www.fleadhcheoil.ie and on www.fleadh.tv.

The Rest ...

Thursday
    3pm Beach Boys: Good Vibrations Tour (Sky Arts)
    1976 Concert

6pm Reel Stories: Kylie Minogue (BBC Red Button, repeated on a loop)
    Dermot O’Leary chats to Kylie Minogue and plays old clips from her career

10.15pm Mario Lanza – The Best Of Everything (Sky Arts)
    The life of the Tenor, who paved the way from Pavarotti and others

11.30pm Hand Me Down (TG4)
    Doireann Ní Bhrian presents profiles of musicians, in a programme first broadcast in 1981, beginning with Johnny O'Leary and Sliabh Luachra instrumentalists

Midnight Punk (Sky Arts)
    Ep 4/4 New-ish Punk like Nirvana and Green Day, and the emergence of female punk rockers

1.10am The Making Of Marc Bolan (Sky Arts)
    Doc which was on last week

Friday
    2pm Classic Albums: Queen – A Night At The Opera (Sky Arts)
    3pm Discovering Music – Queen (Sky Arts)

7pm Classic Albums: Elvis Presley – Elvis Presley (Sky Arts)

7.30pm BBC Proms - Pappano and The National Youth Orchestra USA (BBC4)
    No idea, sorry

8pm Junior (TG4)
    In 2018, 20 years after the death of Irish fiddle player Junior Crehan, family members, musicians and dancers including Paddy Glackin, Donal Lunny, Tim Dennehy and Liam O'Brien gather to honour him

8pm Elvis And The Girl From Vienna (Sky Arts)
    Documentary about Elvis Presley's former secretary Trude Forsher, who reveals the inside story of the singer's journey to becoming a global superstar

9pm Elvis – The Final Hours (Sky Arts)
    Oh yeah, that’s why all the Elvis shows are on. His ‘anniversary’ is today.
    This is about the last recorded hours of his life

9.30pm & 1.25am Top Of The Pops 1988 – May 12 (BBC4)
    Mike Read and Simon Mayo introduce the edition first aired on May 12, featuring performances by Harry Enfield, Prince, the Adventures, Narada, Liverpool FC, Belinda Carlisle, Derek B, Prefab Sprout, Star Turn on 45 Pints, Wet Wet Wet, Fairground Attraction and Kylie Minogue

10pm Woodstock – Three Days That Defined A Generation (BBC4) New!
    Through the voices of those who were there, the music of the time and unique imagery shot in situ of the protagonists and festivalgoers, this documentary tells the story of the lead up to those three historic days, and those extraordinary moments when the concert, almost pulled off right at the last minute, put the ideals of the counterculture to the test
    The Nal wrote: »
    Loved it

10pm The Seven Ages Of Elvis (Sky Arts)
    Forty years on from his "death", this documentary looks at the legacy of Elvis Presley through the lens of seven key stages of his life

10pm Reel Stories: Noel Gallagher (BBC Red Button, repeated on loop)
    Recent decent Noel interview with Dermot O’Leary with lots of old clips. Also on Youtube

11.25pm Jimi Hendrix: The Road To Woodstock (BBC4)
    A definitive account of one of the guitarist's most celebrated performances, at the New York festival in 1969, featuring signature renditions of Purple Haze, Voodoo Child and the Star Spangled Banner. The programme includes interviews with Woodstock promoter Michael Lang and Hendrix's band members Mitch Mitchell, Billy Cox, Larry Lee and Juma Sultan. I don’t think this is on Youtube, although there is plenty of his Woodstock footage on there

11.45pm Elvis ’56 Special (Sky Arts)
    Vintage Elvis

12.25am Hits, Hype and Hustle. An Insiders Guide To The Music Business (BBC4)
    Ep 1/3 Agent Emma Banks offers a behind-the-scenes insight into how the industry finds talent and creates superstars. Contributors include Motown legend Martha Reeves, Blur's Alex James and Labelle's Nona Hendry

12.35am Spillane An Fannai (TG4)
    John Spillane stays in Athenry in Co Galway as he continues his journey, learning about the folk songs of the region, a Second World War plane crash, an ancient Celtic city and a guitar orchestra. The singer-songwriter also debuts a song he has written for the town

1am Elvis Presley – A Legend In Concert (Sky Arts)
    Compilation, not one concert
    Also …

1.55am The Fall: The Wonderful And Frightening World of Mark E Smith (BBC4)
    Documentary exploring the history of the Fall, the enigmatic British post-punk band fronted by Mark E Smith. Emerging from the Manchester punk scene during the late 1970s, the Fall underwent numerous style and line-up changes, with the only persistent member being frontman Smith, whose acerbic wit and biting lyricism became one of the band's few constant trademarks. Featuring footage of the group's last Peel Session, and contributions by Paul Morley, Tony Wilson, Stewart Lee and Franz Ferdinand

2am The Big Beat – Fats Domino And The Birth Of Rock And Roll (Sky Arts)
    Two Hours Of This

2.55am Singer Songwriters At The BBC (BBC4)
    Featuring music by Elton John, James Taylor, Cat Stevens, Harry Nilsson, Neil Diamond, Steve Goodman, Joni Mitchell and Neil Young

Saturday
    5pm Music Icons - The Band (Sky Arts)
    5.30pm Music Icons- The Grateful Dead (Sky Arts)
    6pm Music Icons – Creedence Clearwater Revival (Sky Arts)

6.30pm Discovering Music – Janis Joplin (Sky Arts)
    More Janis at 3.30am

7pm Discovering Music – The Who (Sky Arts)

7pm-9pm Guitar Heroes At The BBC (Yesterday)
    Carlos Santana, Mark Knopfler, Peter Green and the Edge ,acoustic material by John Martyn, John Renbourn, Bert Jansch and Paco Pena. Then Jimi Hendrix, Pete Townshend, Peter Green and Johnny Winter, flamenco maestro Manitas De Plata, bottleneck bluesman Ry Cooder and straight-up rockers AC/DC and Thin Lizzy. Plus, Fleetwood Mac, the Jam and Be Bop Deluxe and Nils Lofgren
    7.30pm Discovering Music – Jimi Hendrix (Sky Arts)

8pm Music Icons – Jefferson Airplane (Sky Arts)
    8.30pm Music Icons – Santana (Sky Arts)

9pm The Festival That Rocked The World (Sky Arts)
    The story of the Woodstock festival in August 1969, told through the voices of people that were there, with newly unearthed footage and photographs. Similar enough to the show which was on BBC4 yesterday, possibly

10.30pm The Who: Tommy Live At The Royal Albert Hall (Sky Arts)
    Midnight The Who: Sensation – The Story Of Tommy (Sky Arts)

12.30am Top Of The Pops 1988 – May 12 (BBC4)
    As Friday

1am Sings Musicals (BBC4)
    Features Ella Fitzgerald singing Mack the Knife, from the Threepenny Opera, Captain Sensible's 1982 chart-topper Happy Talk, a cover of a song from South Pacific, and performances by Jeff Beck and Jay-Z

1.15am Joe Cocker: Mad Dogs And Englishmen (Sky Arts)
    Concert from Santa Monica

1.20am Ariana Grande Live From London (RTE2)

3.30am Janis Joplin- Little Girl Blue (Sky Arts)
    This retrospective includes some of Joplin's most iconic performances, which embodied the musical and cultural revolution of the 1960s.

Sunday
    3.20pm The Leitrim Equation (TG4)
    Dónal Lunny teams up with Eleanor Shanley, Vincent Woods and fellow Leitrim musicians to deliver a pulsating evocation of Leitrim in word, song and dance

4.55pm Elvis Presley – A Legend In Concert (Sky Arts)

5.50pm Festival Express (Sky Arts)
    Documentary chronicling a five-day train ride and series of concerts across Canada in 1970 that featured Janis Joplin, the Grateful Dead and Buddy Guy among many more

7pm BBC Proms – Queen Victoria’s Playlist (BBC4)

7.30pm Come Together – The Rise Of The Festival (Sky Arts)
    Documentary examining the evolution of the music festival, from Newport, Monterey Pop, Woodstock and Isle of Wight in the 1960s to modern events such as Glastonbury and Coachella

9pm Joe Cocker: Mad Dog With Soul (Sky Arts)
    Doc

10.45pm The Festival That Rocked The World (Sky Arts)
    As Saturday

12.15am Santana – Greatest Hits Live At Montreux (Sky Arts)

1.50am Classic Artists – Jimi Hendrix (Sky Arts)

That's more or less that, by no means an epic but maybe there is something to interest you up there.

Have you seen anything else in the schedules, or even something decent on Youtube? Do let us know, also if you have a slow Internet connection like me, try to postpone the most recent Windows Update to the sometime you aren't using the Internet !!

Anyway, there's a two hour Doc on Billy Connolly on BBC 2(Saturday 9pm), Billy is no stranger to the charts having hit Number One with his D.I.V.O.R.C.E song many years ago

That might feature in the show but alternatively maybe they will air this clip, which would be the Best critical analysis of rubbish Scottish Folk Singers Of The Week. By Billy Connolly

Sunday
    3.20pm The Leitrim Equation (TG4)
    Dónal Lunny teams up with Eleanor Shanley, Vincent Woods and fellow Leitrim musicians to deliver a pulsating evocation of Leitrim in word, song and dance

I can see Leitrim from my back window. It does exist, contrary to popular belief. Don't listen to Dustin.

My wife has recently taken up painting and her teacher has an exhibition every year to raise funds for the hospice and SVdePaul. Charlie McGettigan is perfrming the opening ceremony. Leitrim for the win.

One minute between my demand and the service.

10 out of 10 Skid.

• Advertisement

69290511_10157689819668738_4812949564602449920_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_oc=AQko1IkkPzvfAzwF1GwHCCpwgwX2HrNixxygwVn7m5ZNX1vvnnl_4B_z07zfiHsgmG4&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=685b9e06b77c736431cef6b693ac37e9&oe=5DE2F5D0

sligojoek wrote: »
    One minute between my demand and the service.

10 out of 10 Skid.
    Hey Skid. Is everything OK?

If my old mate was alive he'd be texting me wondering what's on for the weekend.

In other news, it turns out myself and BandMember discovered on another thread that we know each other for about 15 years.

The sneaky f*cker knew who I was all the time. :D:D:D:pac:

Ha, just seeing this now. Windows Update knocked me out of action at the wrong time. Should have deffered it until overnight, lesson learned. I had already planned an early morning update tomorrow until the computer spluttered back into life around 12.45

That's mad about yourself and BandMember, 15 years !

• Registered Users Posts: 34,962 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I can see Leitrim from my back window. It does exist, contrary to popular belief.

591px-DDR_steel_watch_tower_cropped.jpg

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Loadsa Shudders :(

Harry Enfield's been going strong for more 30 year now, he must have ... a substantial bank balance

The Adventures - Broken Land

Classic

‘Broken Land’ - chorus of the gods :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,956 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I see Poison got a mention.

"Every rose has it's thorn..."

So much lycra on one stage! :eek:

• Advertisement