Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I had this annual back in the day

Chris Lowe's reminisces about the staircase he designed in an office block in Milton Keynes were great. He was more enthusiastic about the innovative angle on the handrail than he has even sounded since he became a musician

https://twitter.com/astralsocialite/status/903640967177277440

• Registered Users Posts: 72,656 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

There’s a Norwegian death metal band missing their props tonight.

HERE

WE

GO

Someone's Linkedin profile is getting updated tomorrow

- Danced onstage with Pet Shop Boys live on BBC4 (second blue oompa loompa from left)

Im glad they got out of Moscow alive after performing this in Red Square !

• Advertisement

Good set :)

Great song from the Noel Coward tribute album ‘20th. Century Blues’...

Great song from the Noel Coward tribute album ‘20th. Century Blues’...

Lovely stuff, I hadn't heard that one

I think this was from the same album, The Divine Comedy's I've been to a marvellous Party. Featuring a bemused Chris Eubank in the audience @ 3 mins 20 when it goes techno

• Registered Users Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭trashcan

Dunno about that, it's up against some pretty stiff competition

Bubonic Plague
    The Holocaust
    World War I
    Rick Astley

Nah, Rick Ashley is all cool and **** now that he's performed with the Foo Fighters (surprisingly good too, if you haven't Seen it check it out.). Now if you'd said Nathan Carter........

Hello, There are some new shows to report this week. Friday Night is Fleetwood Mac night on BBC4 which over on Sky Friday Night is eh, also Fleetwood Mac night. Maybe it's someone's Birthday or something.

Saturday and Sunday Night sees as much Quadrophenia programming as anyone could reasonably or unreasonably ask for on Sky. Someone in Sky must be a huge fan ...

Wednesday
    11.30pm The Trip Back To Tipp (RTE2)
    Tom Dunne picks his favourite songs from last years Féile Classical Festival, with special guests and live performances from The Stunning, Something Happens, Hothouse Flowers, An Emotional Fish, The Four of Us and Frank & Walters

Thursday
    7.30pm & 12.15am Top Of The Pops 1988 – June 9th (BBC4)
    Peter Powell and Simon Mayo present the edition that first aired on June 9, featuring the Timelords, Five Star, Voice of the Beehive, Mica Paris, Fields of the Nephilim, Sabrina, James Brown, Maxi Priest, Morrissey, Wet Wet Wet and Erasure

9pm Hyundai Mercury Album Of The Year Prize 2019 (BBC4)
    Lauren Laverne hosts the annual ceremony to announce the best album of the year, live from the Eventim Apollo, Hammersmith. The 12 shortlisted acts are Anna Calvi, Black Midi, Cate Le Bon, Dave, Foals, Fontaines DC, Idles, Little Simz, Nao, SEED Ensemble, Slowthai and the 1975

10pm The Kinks: Echoes Of A World (Sky Arts)
    The story of 1968 album The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society, which failed to chart upon release but went on to become one of the most influential works in rock

10pm Emelie Sande’s Street Symphony (BBC Scotland)
    Ep 1 of 4 Emelie Sande searches for the country's best buskers, inviting her favourites to join her on stage in a concert with the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra. She begins by sharing her own story of growing up in rural Aberdeenshire and dreaming of becoming a singer

11.30pm Scott Walker: 30 Century Man (Sky Arts)
    Documentary about the influential musician, examining his early years as a teenage singer in the late 1950s, his rise to pop stardom in the 1960s, both as a solo performer and as a member of the Walker Brothers, and his more experimental work. Featuring contributions by David Bowie, Damon Albarn, Jarvis Cocker, Sting and the Smiths' Johnny Marr

12.45am Folk America At The Barbican (BBC4)
    Texas-based singer Carolyn Hester performs songs penned by Bob Dylan, Tom Paxton and Ed McCurdy, and her own rendition of House of the Rising Sun. This show is only 15 minutes long so that listing is probably a comprehensive detail of the setlist

1.30am Deep Purple: From Here To Infinity (Sky Arts)
    The Doc which was on last weekend

3am Classic Albums: Deep Purple – MachineHead (Sky Arts)

Friday
    2pm Discovering Music – Eric Clapton (Sky Arts)

2.30pm Deep Purple – Perfect Strangers (Sky Arts)
    1984 Concert

7pm Classic Albums: Cream – Disraeli Gears (Sky Arts)

7.30pm & 12.30am Top Of The Pops 1988 – June 16th (BBC4)
    Mike Read and Gary Davies introduce the edition first aired on June 16, featuring performances by Sabrina, Erasure, the Sisters of Mercy, the Fat Boys and Chubby Checker, Eurythmics, a-ha, Sade, Matt Bianco, Bros, the Timelords and the Pasadenas

7.30pm Mastermind (BBC2)
    Includes someone answering questions on Woodstock. This was also billed last week, maybe it got dropped

8pm A Musical History – Fleetwood Mac (BBC4)
    Edith Bowman provides a narrative overview, alongside fellow celebrity admirers who all pay tribute to the band. There will be other, better Fleetwod Mac Programmes tonight

8pm Music Icons – ZZ Top (Sky Arts)
    8.30pm Music Icons – Foreigner (Sky Arts)

8.30pm Port (TG4)
    Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh and Julie Fowlis visit the Dingle peninsula and are joined by singer James Graham and musician Iain MacFarlane. Together, they meet bands Lumiere and Cuas, followed by Pádraig Ó Sé for lively musical performances

9pm Fleetwood Mac’s Songbird – Christine McVie (BBC4) New!
    While she has never fronted Fleetwood Mac, preferring to align herself with 'the boys' in the rhythm section, Christine McVie is their most successful singer-songwriter whose hits include Over My Head, Don't Stop and Everywhere. After global success in the late '70s and mid-'80s Christine left the band in 1998, living in semi-retirement in Kent, only to rejoin in 2014. Here, she finally gets to take centre stage to tell both her own story and that of Fleetwood Mac from her vantage point. Contributors include Christine's current bandmates Stevie Nicks, Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Neil Finn and Mike Campbell
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0008k8q
    https://twitter.com/Nickslive/status/1170469918426296320

9pm Brian Johnson’s A Life On The Road – Mick Fleetwood (BBC4) (Sky Arts)

10pm Classic Albums: Fleetwood Mac – Rumours (Sky Arts)

10.30pm Fleetwood Mac – Don’t Stop (Sky Arts)
    Documentary looking back over the band's long career, from the early blues outfit led by Peter Green in the late 1960s, to their reincarnation in the 1970s with the line-up that went on to record the 40-million-selling album Rumours. Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks reveal the truth behind the successes, failures and relationships that characterised their music and made them one of the most enduring acts in popular music

11.15pm The Us Festival 1982 – The Us Generation (Sky Arts)
    The story of Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak's 1982 music festival in California headlined by the world's biggest acts including The Police and Fleetwood Mac

11.30pm Totally British 70s Rock And Roll (BBC4)
    A collection of archive performances by artists including Dr Feelgood, Ducks Deluxe, Elvis Costello, the Motors, Steve Gibbons Band, Dire Straits, Graham Parker and the Rumour, Eddie and the Hot Rods, Ace, Dave Edmunds and Nick Lowe

1.30am Santana – Greatest Hits Live At Montreux (Sky Arts)

3am Sting – A Free Man (Sky Arts)

Saturday
    2.30pm Music Icons – The Kinks (Sky Arts)

3pm Classic Quadrophenia (Sky Arts)
    From London's Royal Albert Hall, Pete Townshend, the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, conductor Robert Ziegler and a host of guests, including Alfie Boe, put a classical spin on the Who's 1973 album Quadrophenia

4.30pm Tommy Live At The Royal Albert Hall (Sky Arts)
    2017 Concert

6pm Classic Albums: The Who – Who’s Next (Sky Arts)

7pm-9pm TOTP2 – The 60s (Yesterday)

7pm Discovering Music – The Who (Sky Arts)

7.30pm The Who – Live At Kilburn 1977 (Sky Arts)

8.20pm Pat Shortt’s Music From D’Telly (RTE1)
    An episode of RTE1’s music filler show with Dervish and Planxty. Plus, a 1981 John Denver concert in Co Cork and the enduring appeal of Fleadh Cheoil

9pm Emilie Sande’s Street Symphony (BBC Scotland)

9pm Quadrophenia – Our Generation (Sky Arts) New!
    Celebrity fans and cast members come together to shed light on the making of Quadrophenia and explore the legacy that the cult film has left behind, 40 years after its release

10pm Quadrophenia Reunited 40 Years On (Sky Arts) New!
    Lauren Laverne hosts a one-off special bringing the stars of Quadrophenia together. Featuring reminiscing, interviews, a table-read of the script and plenty of other surprises
    https://www.thewho.com/40th-anniversary-celebrations-for-quadrophenia-movie-on-sky-arts/

11.30pm Film Quadrophenia (Sky Arts)
    A teenager in 1960s London is unhappy with his lot in life, but believes he has found a place to belong in the mod subculture and their feud with the rival rockers. As the mods gather in Brighton for a weekend that turns to violence, his naive vision of the world is cruelly shattered. Drama based on the Who album, starring Phil Daniels, Leslie Ash, Sting and Ray Winstone

11pm Travis Live With The Scottish Symphony Orchestra (BBC Scotland)
    2016 Concert

11.35pm Port (TG4)
    As Friday

11.55pm Top Of The Pops 1988 – June 9th (BBC4)
    12.30am Top Of The Pops 1988 – June 16th (BBC4)

1.45am The Story Of The Jam – About The Young Idea (Sky Arts)
    Documentary about the band, who were at the forefront of the late-1970s punk-mod scene, tracing the group's history from formation in 1975 to its end in 1982. Featuring interviews with frontman Paul Weller, bassist Bruce Foxton and drummer Rick Buckler, as well as archive performances

3.30am-5am The Jam – Live At Rockpalast 1980 (Sky Arts)

Sunday
    5pm Peter Blake - Pop Art Life (Sky Arts)
    Documentary exploring the way music has guided artist Peter Blake's work, inspiring original pieces and leading to collaborations with some of the biggest names in the business

5.35pm Proms In The Park (BBC1 NI)
    From the Titanic Slipway, Featuring Susan Boyle, tenor Mark Vincent, pianist Elizabeth Brauss, acclaimed violinist Ziyu He, BBC Young Musician finalist and local musician Tom Myles, and the New Irish Chamber Choir

7pm The Last Night Of The Proms From Around The UK (BBC4)
    Give it up lads https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0008rpg

7pm Music Icons -The Kinks (Sky Arts)

7.25pm Classic Quadrophenia (Sky Arts)

9pm Bradley Wiggins On Mods (Sky Arts)
    The former cyclist embarks on a scooter ride through the history of the mod movement - a subculture that emerged in the 1960s and birthed a generation of fashion and music lovers

9.30pm Sam Henry - Songs Of The People (TG4)
    Part one of two. Documentary exploring the life's work of Coleraine musicologist Sam Henry, who recorded the world's largest and most comprehensive collection of traditional Ulster songs. Featuring interviews and performances from leading singers and folklorists

9.55pm-12.45am Most Shocking Moments In Pop 2 (Channel 5)
    From one of the best-known moments in TV when Grace Jones hit Russell Harty on his chat show, to Solange's fisticuffs with Jay-Z and George Michael's dubious driving, this programme celebrates the outrageous shenanigans from the world of pop music. It also includes rock 'n' roll excess by 70s band Deep Purple and the moment it all fell apart for Michael Jackson. Three hours of things that weren’t good enough for Most Shocking Moments in Pop 1

10pm Quadrophenia (Sky Arts)
    12.15am Quadrophenia Reunited – 40 Years On (Sky Arts)
    1.45am Quadrophenia : Our Generation (Sky Arts)

10.20pm Pop Goes Northern Ireland (BBC2)
    S1 E1 1963-1968 Another chance to see BBC NI’s version of the Rock and Roll Years / Reeling In The Years. Contains more Ian Paisley than the other shows.

11.10pm Na Baileid – Beo O Corcaigh (TG4)
    Singer John Spillane hosts an intimate concert from St Luke's, Cork. John's guests include Mick Flannery, Jimmy Crowley, Nell Ní Chróinín and the group the Unwanted

2.45am The Kinks – Echoes Of A World (Sky Arts)

That is more or less that, there is a new music doc on Netflix 'Los Tigres Del norte - Los Tigres Del Norte which is a Mexican band playing tribute to Johnny Cash on the 50th Anniversary of his show at Folsom. Apparently this was the first concert there since Johnny Cash, so hard look to anyone who spent 49 years there and never saw a gig

Anyway, the Best Slade Comedy Sketch Of The Week might be Slade On Holiday from Reeves and Mortimer. Sure it's in a show called 'TV's Funniest Ever Sketches' (Channel 5, Thursday Night 12.05am) so surely Channel 5 wouldn't mislead us, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Cheers Skid.

Is this the first time BBC4 has had those Brian Johnson shows? I thought they were just on sky.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Cheers Skid.

Is this the first time BBC4 has had those Brian Johnson shows? I thought they were just on sky.

****e, no that's on Sky.

I'll fix that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Skid X wrote: »
    ****e, no that's on Sky.

I'll fix that now.

Sh1te is right.

I wasn't being sarcastic. I genuinely thought it was coming on the beeb.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Sh1te is right.

I wasn't being sarcastic. I genuinely thought it was coming on the beeb.

Ah I know (dat), I'm annoyed with myself because made a balls of the listing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Ah I know (dat), I'm annoyed with myself because made a balls of the listing
    Quite right :mad: - we pay good money --

O wait :o:pac:

Appreciation for your efforts, as always, Skid :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,962 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

9pm Hyundai Mercury Album Of The Year Prize 2019 (BBC4)
    Lauren Laverne hosts the annual ceremony to announce the best album of the year, live from the Eventim Apollo, Hammersmith. The 12 shortlisted acts are Anna Calvi, Black Midi, Cate Le Bon, Dave, Foals, Fontaines DC, Idles, Little Simz, Nao, SEED Ensemble, Slowthai and the 1975

Bleedin' deadly
    They won't win, of course. :(
    and the moment it all fell apart for Michael Jackson.

His face?

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

I like that Voice of the Beehive song, their drummer is also the drummer in Madness

Will Gary Glitter be earning royalties from that Doctorin' The Tardis performance? I thought the Yewtree axe might have got to that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Did anyone watch Fontaines D.C.'s performance on the Mecury Music Prize tonight? I don't know much about this band at all. What gave them away about seeing their performance, which happened a while ago, was the thick Dublin accent coming from the lead singer. I will give them credit though. It was a really good performance from this band tonight. Let's hope it translates to a win for them all.

Did anyone watch Fontaines D.C.'s performance on the Mecury Music Prize tonight? I don't know much about this band at all. What gave them away about seeing their performance, which happened a while ago, was the thick Dublin accent coming from the lead singer. I will give them credit though. It was a really good performance from this band tonight. Let's hope it translates to a win for them all.
    Yes - been watching bits of the show, having seen that one of the acts was an Irish band I wasn't aware of from this thread (thanks folks). Interesting, in an on-my-radar-way sort of way, and that was a fun song/performance. Good luck to them . Was also interested to see if Dave would perform Black, but he didn't - don't think anything else I've looked at from him has much registered with me, but maybe good luck to him on the promise of the former.

Jeebus, the buzz-word platitudes from the presenter :P

• Advertisement

I’d go a cheeky bet on IDLES :)

I’d go a cheeky bet on IDLES :)
    NO BETTING TALK!!! (backseat) MOD :mad:

Oh, sorry, that's another forum :pac:

"... Irish and British albums"
    Admirable political correctness :pac:

With such a generic hip-hop name too :pac:

Seriously though, well done Dave! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The winner is Dave. Congratulations.

Congratulations to him, but surprised he's repeating the song from earlier, since it's an album award - or maybe that's the standard format?

Of course Dave is only his stage name. His real name is...

... Rodney :p

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

I'll just leave this here...

"... Irish and British albums"
    Admirable political correctness :pac:

Annie Mac is Irish so she was hardly going to just say British albums, was she!

• Advertisement

Annie Mac is Irish so she was hardly going to just say British albums, was she!
    Oh, didn't know. Anyway, just referring to the putting of "Irish" first :cool:

Advertisement