Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Hello, there is news of some new stuff this week, which is always good to see.
    Leonard Cohen (BBC2) Suzie Quatro (Sky Arts) Joan Armatrading (BBC4) and Liam Gallagher (MTV), plus a Lewis Capaldi thing on BBC1 which may or may not be new.
    And not only is Glenn Medeiros getting royalties from a McDonalds ad, he is on TOTP on 4 ...

Thursday
    7pm My Beatles Black Album with Charles Hazlewood (Sky Arts)
    The conductor creates a compilation album formed of solo tracks made by John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr following the break up of the Beatles in 1970

7.30pm & 11.30pm Top Of The Pops 1988 – June 30 (BBC4)
    Gary Davies and Peter Powell present the edition that first aired on June 30, featuring Hazell Dean, Bruce Springsteen, Tracy Chapman, Matt Bianco, Salt-N-Pepa, T'Pau, the Fat Boys and Chubby Checker, Bros and Glenn Medeiros

11.15pm Culture Night 2019 (RTE1)
    Highlights from the National Museum at Collins Barracks in Dublin, featuring a host of stars led by the RTÉ Concert Orchestra conducted by David Brophy. Performers include, Aslan, Wallis Bird, hip-hop sensation Jafaris, world-renowned soprano Celine Byrne, the Kilfenora Ceili Band and an acapella vocal ensemble of Pauline Scanlon, Sibeal, Sile Denvir and Nicola Joyce revisiting one of Ireland's favourite folk songs. Ol' Donie reports that some of this was good

11.15pm The Who – Sensation: The Story Of Tommy (Sky Arts)

1.30am Peter Blake – Pop Art Life (Sky Arts)
    Him that did the Sergeant Pepper Album Cover. And other stuff

2.30am Discovering Music – Neil Young (Sky Arts)

Friday
    2pm Johnny Cash – Behind Prison Walls (Sky Arts)
    1977 Concert from Nashville. Prison.

3pm Glen Campbell – I’ll Be Me (Sky Arts)
    Excellent documentary following the country star and his wife Kim on tour across America, featuring contributions by Bruce Springsteen, Paul McCartney and Bill Clinton

7pm Classic Albums: The Doors – The Doors (Sky Arts)

7.30pm & 12.30am Top Of The Pops 1988 – July 7 (BBC4)
    Janice Long and Simon Mayo introduce the edition first aired on July 7, featuring performances by the Communards, the Mac Band featuring the McCampbell Brothers, Everything but the Girl, INXS, Eighth Wonder, Glenn Medeiros and Transvision Vamp

8pm & 2am Black Music Legends Of The 1980s – Janet Jackson (BBC4)
    The life and career of the pop star, from her first taste of fame on US sitcom Diff'rent Strokes to a recording career that has seen her sell more than 65 million albums worldwide

8pm Music Icons – Patti Smith (Sky Arts)
    8.30pm Music Icons – Simple Minds (Sky Arts)

8.30pm Port (TG4)
    Julie Fowlis and Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh visit North Uist in the Western Isles of Scotland, accompanied by renowned piper and bodhrán player Donnchadh Gough and musician Síle Denvir

9pm & 1am MTV Unplugged – Liam Gallagher (MTV One) New!
    Liam Gallagher gives an acoustic performance at Hull City Hall, including tracks from his solo album As You Were, some new material and a selection of Oasis classics

9pm & 3am Joan Armatrading – Me Myself And I (BBC4) New!
    Known for her reclusiveness and barriers, the singer has for the first time granted access to her life and music. In this film she recounts her story from Caribbean emigre to being one of the most revered songwriters of her generation. The film covers Joan's childhood in Birmingham, her involvement in the musical Hair in 1968, her musical partnership with songwriter Pam Nestor and the relationship later forged with rock producer Glyn Johns
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0008rm4

9pm Brian Johnson’s A Life On The Road – Joe Walsh (Sky Arts)

10pm The Old Grey Whistle Test – 70s Gold (BBC4)
    Archive performances from the BBC music series, featuring Elton John, David Bowie, Captain Beefheart, Gladys Knight and the Pips, Curtis Mayfield, New York Dolls, Bob Marley and the Wailers, Brinsley Schwarz, Gil Scott-Heron, Blondie, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, the Jam, Talking Heads, Iggy Pop, Cher and Greg Allman, Argent, Steppenwolf, Lindisfarne, Dr Feelgood and Johnny Winter

10.15pm Elvis And The Memphis Mafia (PBS America)
    Documentary explores the highs and the lows of Elvis Presley's life through the eyes of the close circle of friends he entrusted with his life

11pm Quadrophenia – Our Generation (Sky Arts)
    The famous fans thing which was on last week

11.25pm Lewis Capaldi Live (BBC1)
    Concert filmed in Croxteth Park, Liverpool

11.30pm Top Of The Pops – The Story of 1981 (BBC4)
    Acts featured include Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, the Human League, Kim Wilde, Midge Ure, Jerry Dammers (of the Specials), Beggar and Co, Leee John and Freeez. With Richard Skinner, Mike Read and Carrie Grant

Midnight Quadrophenia Reunited: 40 Years On (Sky Arts)
    The Cast reunion thing which was on last week

1am TOTP2 Summertime Special (BBC4)
    John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John, the Undertones, Shaggy, Bananarama, Bobby Goldsboro, Bay City Rollers, Fun Boy Three, the Style Council and Don Henley. Other archive sizzlers include DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince, the Sundays, Sabrina, Chris Rea, the Barracudas, Zoe, Martha and the Muffins, Bryan Adams, Girls Aloud and ELO

1.30am The Story Of The Jam – About The Young Idea (Sky Arts)
    Doc, rather good one

3.10am Paul Weller – May Love Travel With You (Sky Arts)
    Concert from London's Royal Festival Hall accompanied by an orchestra, playing a career-spanning set from Jam classics to songs from latest album True Meanings

Saturday
    3pm Art 50 (Sky Arts)
    The Sound Of Britain - Musicians explore what it means to be British now that the UK is 'apparently' leaving the EU, including street dance, choral music and a provocative new national anthem by Nitin Sawhney. Stephen Mangan and Joan Bakewell present

4.30pm The Cavern Club – The Beat Goes On (Sky Arts)
    Documentary reflecting on the history of the Liverpool venue - a favourite haunt of the Beatles and the place where Welsh Megaman saw Edwyn Collins perform recently.

7pm Duran Duran: There’s Something You Should Know (Yesterday)
    Recent BBC Doc featuring all the Drans and the Fifth Dran, a Mr Nile Rodgers

8pm Elvis – The Final Hours (Sky Arts)
    Doc exploring the highs and lows of Elvis Presley's life, as told by a small group of the singer's closest friends and confidants

8pm The Rolling Stones At The BBC (Yesterday)

9pm Suzi Q (Sky Arts) New!
    Film exploring the story of inspirational rocker Suzi Quatro, from the many female artists she influenced, to the family tensions that resulted from her huge ambition and success

9pm Film: Marianne And Leonard – Words Of Love (BBC2) New!
    Documentary film-maker Nick Broomfield charts the relationship between Leonard Cohen and his Norwegian muse Marianne Ihlen, who met on the Greek island of Hydra in 1960 as part of a bohemian community of artists, writers and musicians. The film follows their relationship from the early days on Hydra, a humble time of 'free love' and open marriage, and reveals how their love evolved when Leonard became a successful musicia

9pm MTV Unplugged – Liam Gallagher (MTV One)

11pm Joan Jett – Bad Reputation (Sky Arts)
    Documentary chronicling the life and career of the rock musician, from founding the Runaways as an ambitious teenager to her evolution into the star and activist she is today

Midnight Top Of The Pops 1988 – June 30 (BBC4)

12.20am Culture Night 2019 (RTE1)
    As Thursday

12.30am Top Of The Pops 1988 – July 7 (BBC4)

1am-3.45am Download Festival 2019 (Sky Arts)
    Featuring Slipknot, Def Leppard and Tool. Part 2 is tomorrow

Sunday
    7pm Hollywood In Vienna – The World Of Hans Zimmer (Sky Arts)
    The Vienna Radio Symphony Orchestra performs music by the film composer, including extracts from The Dark Knight, The Lion King, Inception, Gladiator and Pirates of the Caribbean. Which is all grand, like but what about the theme from Going For Gold? Here it is, the extended version no less

8.30pm Franz Ferdinand Live From MTV Fusion 2019 (MTV Music)
    9pm Mumford & Sons: Live From South Africa – Dust And Thunder (Sky Arts)
    2016 Concert

9.30pm Sam Henry – Songs Of The People (TG4)
    The conclusion of the two-part celebration of Coleraine musicologist Sam Henry features a concert of songs from his collection, including performances from Damien O'Kane, Pauline Scanlon, Andy Irvine and Cup O' Joe

10.35pm Hup (TG4)
    Showcase of music from the Con Curtin traditional music festival in Brosna, Co Kerry, featuring the Sliabh Luachra music style with performances by Darragh Curtin, Danny O'Mahony, and Micheál and Macdara Ó Raghallaigh

11pm Mumford & Sons – We Wrote This Yesterday (Sky Arts)
    Doc about the tour from which the concert in the preceding programme was filmed

Midnight MTV Unplugged – Liam Gallagher (MTV One)
    This is also repeated on something called MTV Rocks at 11pm

12.15am Coldplay – Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)
    2011 Concert

1.30am Duran Duran – One Night Only (VM1)
    2011 ITV Special Concert

1.30am – 4.10am Download Festival 2019 (Sky Arts)
    More of the same from yesterday

Who is Glenn Medeiros? you might ask, well he had one hit in 1988 then he got ripped to shreds on Juke Box Jury and was never seen again. Until now.

Bruce Springsteen turned 70 during the week, here he is on the Whistle Test half his life ago

https://twitter.com/BBCArchive/status/1176070016992784384

Finally, the Best use of Count Basie And His Orchestra In A Film Score Of The Week might be in Blazing Saddles (RTE1, Saturday Night 1.20am)

There are many other clips I could have used from Blazing Saddles there, most of which would not be good to watch in public :pac:

Adieu

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Well raise my rent...is that Count Basie??

That's fantastic. I've seen Blazin Saddles a billion times but never copped that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Ah heyor, I thought this 'I love 1994' on BBC2 would be a recent look back, but nope, I'd say it's done in the early 2000's so everyone's still lookin well. Was hoping it was done this year so I could say, 'Jaysus, I look young compared to that f*cker'.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,656 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    Ah heyor, I thought this 'I love 1994' on BBC2 would be a recent look back, but nope, I'd say it's done in the early 2000's so everyone's still lookin well. Was hoping it was done this year so I could say, 'Jaysus, I look young compared to that f*cker'.

Urgh...BBC News comparing Blur vs. Oasis to The Beatles vs. The Stones.

Common knowledge that The Beatles and The Stones were good friends, and hung together socially. John and Paul even wrote a song for them (‘I Wanna Be Your Man’) and added backing vocals to another (‘We Love You’).

A new Joan Armatrading documentary?

Any excuse to play this, quite frankly, wonderful and life-affirming record (turn it up loud)... :)

• Advertisement

A new Joan Armatrading documentary?

Any excuse to play this, quite frankly, wonderful and life-affirming record (turn it up loud)... :)

Got me looking for Joan with Pino Palladino playing Love and Affection. Can't find it. *shakes fist at you tube*

ANIMAL!

MINERAL!

PHYSICAL!

SPIRITUAL!

I’M THE ONE YOU NEED, I’M THE ONE YOU NEED!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭dasdog

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Well raise my rent...is that Count Basie??

That's fantastic. I've seen Blazin Saddles a billion times but never copped that.

April in Paris - a stroke of genius putting it in that scene. Still my favorite comedy of all time.

One the subject of the Count, Oscar Peterson did a wonderful tv show for the bbc which included him. Actually the whole show is excellent but even just
    the segment with the two great minds starting at 16 minutes is wonderful

Nile Rodgers is on The One Show on BBC1 now

The shy and retiring wallflower Nile Rodgers on ‘The One Show’ right now :D

EDIT: But you knew that already :D

• Advertisement

Everybody Dance was the first song he ever wrote?! Wow.

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    Everybody Dance was the first song he ever wrote?! Wow.

Forget that...Nile’s Mum gave birth to him when she was fourteen years old?!?!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Yowsah Yowsah Yowsah!

I found that piece where they showed the benefits of playing old music to Alzheimers and Dementia patients interesting

Seems like a great idea

‘Now That I’ve Found You’, sadly not a cover of The Foundations song.

Fookin’ sort it out, Liam!

Maybe We Should Call It A Day.

No Maybe about it, Hazell.

Ah ****e, I thought her name was Hazel D. She could have married Derek B and have a posh double barrel name.

'Good evening, I'm Hazel D-B'

'You what?'

Always interested to hear Joy Division’s cover of Russ Abbott’s ‘Atmosphere’.

The old gags are the best :o :cool:

The double A-side...

Bunch Of W4nkers/Bunch Of W4nkers (Instrumental)

Play ‘Don’t Believe The Hype’!

tenor.gif?itemid=13507533

• Advertisement

Spinderella was the real talent in that group

T’PAU!!

giphy.gif

G'wan the Craig!

Here is Chubby Checker playing himself in an episode of Quantum Leap in French

The Twist appears to translate as Le Twist

How to do The Twist...

Pretend to dry your buttocks with an imaginary towel while grinding out an imaginary cigarette with one foot.

Tune in tomorrow for another exciting episode of ‘Welsh Megaman’s Dance Studio’! :)

GLENN MEDEIROS!!

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Forget that...Nile’s Mum gave birth to him when she was fourteen years old?!?!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Yowsah Yowsah Yowsah!
    Misread that as "when he was fourteen years old" Ouch :eek::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Skid X wrote: »
    Here is Chubby Checker playing himself in an episode of Quantum Leap in French

The Twist appears to translate as Le Twist

Watched that episode the other night. 47 year old Chubby Checker playing himself, aged 17!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Schooby Chequer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,955 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Maybe We Should Call It A Day.

No Maybe about it, Hazell.

B-side - "I'm Off To Throw My Handbag In The River (Nothing Personal Like)"

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Advertisement