Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I caught some of that Leonard and Marianne (Leonard Cohen) Doc on BBC2 tonight

I wouldn't be a huge fan of his but I found it very interesting. Well worth checking out whenever it is repeated.

Hello, well it's mostly repeats with a new show about 'Godmother of Funk' Betty Davis. There is a welcome repeat of a classic film on TG4 which doesn't get enough airings. "téann siad seo suas go dtí aon cheann déag" would be on the lines in it if TG4 dubbed it into Irish (which they haven't) ...

Thursday
    7.30pm & Midnight Top Of The Pops 1988 – July 21 (BBC4)
    Peter Powell and Andy Crane present the edition that first aired on July 21, featuring music by Kim Wilde, Everything But the Girl and S-Express

9pm Leonard Cohen – I’m Your Man (Sky Arts)
    Documentary about the life and career of the Canadian singer-songwriter, who details the intricacies of his distinctive brand of music, and his unique outlook on life. Archive footage and photographs from Cohen's private collection illustrate high points from his career, and there are performances of his songs by artists including Nick Cave, Jarvis Cocker, the Handsome Family, Beth Orton, Rufus Wainwright and Martha Wainwright at a 2005 tribute concert in Sydney

9pm Glor Tire (TG4)
    Performances on stage in the Quays Bar Music Hall, including Jim Devine, Mike Denver, Brendan Shine, Gerry Guthrie, Robert Mizzell, Louise Morrissey, Barry Kirwan and Johnny Brady

10pm Phil Spector (Sky Atlantic)
    Lawyer Linda Kenney Baden joins the team defending Phil Spector after he is charged with the murder of actress Lana Clarkson. As she gets to know him, she must determine whether to allow the music producer to take the stand to testify in his own defence. 2013 Fact-based drama written and directed by David Mamet, starring Al Pacino and Helen Mirren, with Jeffrey Tambor and Chiwetel Ejiofor
    StarsAsRealPeople.Pacino.jpg

1am Joan Jett – Bad Reputation (Sky Arts)
    Documentary chronicling the life and career of the rock musician, from founding the Runaways as an ambitious teenager to her evolution into the star and activist she is today

3am Mumford & Sons Live From South Africa - Dust And Thunder (Sky Arts)

Friday
    2pm Elvis – The Final Hours (Sky Arts)
    3pm The Life And Death Of Sam Cooke (Sky Arts)
    Morbid start to the weekend on Sky

7pm The Live Lounge Show (BBC4)
    Ep 1 of 4 Clara Amfo peeks behind the scenes of Radio 1's Live Lounge, the twice-weekly feature attracting an array of some of the biggest and best pop artists on the planet, selecting tracks from sessions by Taylor Swift, Yungblud and Mahalia

8pm & 12.25am Rock N Roll Britannia (BBC4)
    A look back at the beginnings of British rock 'n' roll, when acts such as the Shadows and Johnny Kidd and the Pirates helped to lay the foundations of an enduring musical culture. Including the current line-up of the Quarrymen - forerunners of the Beatles - performing Rock Island Line, and contributions by Cliff Richard, Marty Wilde, Joe Brown and Bruce Welch. Narrated by Roger McGough

8pm Music Icons – Red Hot Chilli Peppers (Sky Arts)
    8.30pm Music Icons – American AOR (Sky Arts)

9pm & 1.25am Top Of The Pops 1988 – July 28 (BBC4)
    Gary Davies and Nicky Campbell introduce the edition first aired on July 28, with performers including Pat Benatar, Shakin' Stevens and Glenn Medeiros

9pm Brian Johnson’s A Life On The Road – Paul Rodgers (Sky Arts)

9.30pm & 2.55am A Musical History – Stevie Wonder (BBC4)
    People like Martin Freeman, Alexander O'Neal, James Morrison, Beverley Knight and Corinne Bailey Rae, and New Order's Gillian Gilbert and Stephen Morris talk about Stevie Wonder and play clips of old performances. Stevie Wonder's real name is Stevland Hardaway Morris, this came up on an episode of The Chase this week

10pm Bad Company (Sky Arts)
    Documentary telling the story of the rock supergroup, featuring interviews with the surviving original band members Paul Rodgers, Mick Ralphs and Simon Kirke
    https://planetmosh.com/bad-company-the-band-the-music-the-story-40th-anniversary-documentary-a-jon-brewer-film/

10.30pm Betty Davis – Godmother of Funk (BBC4) New!
    Profile of the aspiring songwriter, who arrived on the '70s scene with her daring personality, iconic fashion and outrageous funk music. She befriended Jimi Hendrix and Sly Stone, wrote songs for the Chambers Brothers and the Commodores, and married Miles Davis - turning him from jazz to funk on the album she named Bitches Brew. Betty was a feminist pioneer, inspiring and intimidating in a manner like no woman before. This documentary charts her rise from humble upbringings to take the genre by storm, revealing the mystery of her subsequent disappearance and her battle with mental illness

11.55pm Suzi Q (Suzi Quattro) (Sky Arts)
    The Suzi Quattro Doc which was on last weekend

1.55am Hot Chocolate At The BBC (BBC4)

1.55am Bowie, Prince & Other Music Legends We Lost In 2016 (Sky Arts)
    All still dead, to the best of my knowledge

3.25am Film: Prince – Sign O’ The Times (Sky Arts)
    Concert film by the musician featuring highlights from gigs in Rotterdam and Antwerp on his 1987 European tour, as well as footage shot at his Paisley Park studio in Minnesota. Including performances of Sign o' the Times, I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man and If I Was Your Girlfriend, and the promo video for U Got the Look, featuring Sheena Easton

Saturday
    5.45pm-12.30am Simply Red And Status Quo Live In Hyde Park (BBC Red Button)
    I’m guessing this is a loop, either that or they are playing unnecessarily long sets

6pm Nat King Cole – Afraid Of The Dark (Sky Arts)
    Oft repeated Doc about Nat King Cole

7pm Big In America -British Hits In The USA (Yesterday)
    Dave Clark Five, Coldplay, A Flock of Seagulls, Supertramp, Bush, Black Sabbath and the Cure

8pm The Barry White Story – Let The Music Play (Sky Arts)

8pm Tom Jones At The BBC (Yesterday)

9pm Marvin Gaye – What’s Going On ? (Sky Arts)
    A profile of the soul singer, songwriter and producer, who helped shape the sound of Motown in the 1960s and released a string of classic albums in the 1970s

10.15pm Life And Death Of Sam Cooke (Sky Arts)
    A look at the circumstances surrounding the violent death of the American soul singer, including theories that it was self-defence, or a robbery that spiralled out of control

10.30pm Scoobs And The Rave Years (BBC Scotland)
    MC Stuart Cochrane recalls Scotland's rave scene of the 1980s and 1990s, joined by the likes of Slam, TTF, QFX, Ultrasonic and DJs Michael Kilkie and Colin Tevendale

11pm Film: This Is Spinal Tap (TG4)

11pm TRNSMT 2019(BBC Scotland)
    Highlights of TRNSMT 2019, featuring Lewis Capaldi, Mabel, George Ezra, Years and Years and Sigrid

12.15am Living On Soul (Sky Arts)
    Documentary chronicling a concert at Harlem's historic Apollo Theatre, featuring performances by Sharon Jones and a host of soul, funk and gospel stars

12.35am Opry An Iuir (TG4)
    Daniel O'Donnell introduces up-and-coming stars of country music, including Stuart Moyles, Keelan Arbuckle, Olivia Douglas, Caitlin and Brandon McPhee

12.35am Top Of The Pops 1988 – July 21 (BBC4)

1.10am Top Of The Pops 1988 – July 28 (BBC4)

2.10am Bob Marley- The Making Of A Legend (Sky Arts)
    Esther Anderson's documentary based on film shot in the early 1970s in Jamaica, charting the reggae musician's career before he shot to worldwide fame

Sunday
    8pm The South Bank Show Originals - Bee Gees (Sky Arts)
    1998 Interview

8.30pm The South Bank Show Originals – Cher (Sky Arts)
    1999 Interview

8.30pm Junior Eurovision Ireland – The Final (TG4)

9pm The South Bank Show 40th Anniversary Special (Sky Arts)

9.30pm Tradfest TG4 (TG4)
    Doireann Ní Ghlacáin presents highlights of Dublin's Tradfest 2019, featuring performances from The Henry Girls, Kieran Tourish, Kevin Doherty and James Delaney

11pm The South Bank Show Originals – Tom Jones (Sky Arts)
    2000 Interview

2am Leonard Cohen – I’m Your Man (Sky Arts)
    As Thursday

Thom Yorke from Radiohead was on Desert Island Discs a few weeks ago, you listen back to that anytime

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/sep/22/thom-yorke-ex-partners-death-desert-island-discs-rachel-owen

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0008qg3

Anyway, the Most Sweary Version Of Total Eclipse of The Heart Of The Week does not come from Bonnie Tyler, it appears from the Wedding Band in Old School (BBC1, Friday Night 12.20am)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Yorke was also on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert yesterday, in case it's of interest to anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 72,656 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Another fine tune from S-Express :)

tenor.gif?itemid=5274420

Def Leppard with ‘Lick My Love Pump’.

• Advertisement

Didn’t know Stewart Lee was in Everything But The Girl :D

The Macc Lads sure changed musical direction in ‘88. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,952 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Skid X wrote: »
    StarsAsRealPeople.Pacino.jpg

Jeezus. Is Pacino hard up for a few quid or something?

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Shaky on speed dial :D

Yes, 'Martha's Harbour' is a great song...can't wait to hear it live in the TOTP studio :pac:

• Advertisement

'Peek-A-Boo' by Siouxsie - absolute classic :)

PLAY THE POGUES!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Ah no. Just heard that song on the radio. Didn't realise why.

Slight schedule change tonight on Sky Arts, due to Ginger’s passing.

11pm Classic Artists: Cream

1.30am Cream: Music Icons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm looking at Barry Manilow in Hyde Park on red button/ch 981 - his face has been pulled around the back of his head.

Hello, this week sees a new Reggae thing on BBC4 and a pointless show about Queen and their new guy on Sky. With lots of similar programming lumped in on top of those respective shows. Other choices are on the menu, as always ...

Thursday
    9pm Glor Tire (TG4)
    Performances by country music acts including Johnny Brady, Patrick Feeney, Mike Denver, Shawn Cuddy, the Sheerin Family and Cliona Hagan.
    Not the busiest night for music shows, to be honest

Friday
    7.30pm The Live Lounge Show (BBC4)
    Clara Amfo peeks behind the scenes of Radio 1's Live Lounge, featuring music by Lana Del Rey, Jax Jones and Sam Fender

8pm & 1.25am Rock N Roll America (BBC4)
    Ep 1/3 Sweet Little Sixteen Documentary examining the most important era in the history of popular music - the birth of rock 'n' roll. The opening programme focuses on the origins of the sound in 1950s America when the rhythm-driven mix of blues, boogie woogie and vocal harmony was nurtured by small independent record labels and championed by young music pioneers such as Fats Domino and Little Richard. This episode also looks at the start of Elvis Presley's career in Memphis and examines the impact the film industry had on the rock movement. Contributors include Tom Jones, Jerry Lee Lewis and Don Everly
    It’s On Youtube

9pm & 12.55am Top Of The Pops 1988 – August 4 (BBC4)
    Janice Long and Mark Goodier present the pop chart programme**, first broadcast on 4 August 1988. Featuring Kim Wilde, The Funky Worm and Fairground Attraction
    ** lamest description of TOTP I have ever copied and pasted

9.30pm Studio 17 – The Lost Reggae Tapes (BBC4) New!
    A treasure trove of tapes from the golden age of reggae provides the soundtrack to the compelling story of the family behind Randy's Studio 17, established above Randy's Records at 17 North Parade in downtown Kingston, Jamaica. With contributions by Jimmy Cliff, Carl Malcolm, Ali Campbell, Bunny Lee, King Jammy, Rico Rodriguez, Clive Chin and Maxi Priest

10pm Queen And Adam Lambert – The Show Must Go On (Sky Arts) New!
    The story of Adam Lambert's time in Queen

10.35pm The Graham Norton Show (BBC1)
    Featuring Bruce Springsteen. And others.

10.55pm Classic Albums: The Wailers – Catch A Fire (BBC4)
    Concert footage, home movies and interviews in Jamaica give a background to the Wailers' LP Catch a Fire, which launched Bob Marley onto the global music scene. Record label boss Chris Blackwell reveals how he masterminded the overdubbing of the album for the rock market and Rabbit Brundrick (keyboards) and Wayne Perkins (electric guitar) tell how they were brought back in to add their parts to the songs

11.45pm Queen Live At Wembley 1986 (Sky Arts)

11.55pm Reggae Fever – David Rodigan (BBC4)
    The life of the German-born reggae broadcaster and radio presenter whose love affair with Jamaican music began in the 1950s, celebrating a man whose career is strangely intertwined with not only the evolution of such music in this country, but also the evolution of the culture.

12.15am Kila: Pota Oir (RTE2)
    A portrait of the band whose mixture of folk and world music has made them one of Ireland's most popular live acts, combining concert footage, interviews and backstage moments

1am Queen - The Magic Years (Sky Arts)
    Documentary about the rock group's rise to fame and eventual superstardom, including profiles of the members who made the band a success

2.15am Video Killed The Radio Star – Queen (Sky Arts)

2.25am How To Make A Number One Records (BBC4)
    If you google The KLF The Manual, you can get the full text of their book on the same subject. Sorted!

Saturday
    9.30pm Mark Ronson: From The Heart (BBC2) New!
    The songwriter and producer discusses his life and musical influences, including how the break-up of his marriage has influenced his most recent album, Late Night Feelings. The programme follows Ronson in London, Los Angeles and New York at work and at home, and there are interviews with family and friends, along with the likes of Lady Gaga, Simon Le Bon, Josh Homme and Bradley Cooper. He has worked with Nile Rodgers, so I wouldn’t be shocked if Niley popped up too, just saying

10pm George Ezra Live At Baloise Session (Sky Arts)

10.55pm Classic Albums: Amy Winehouse – Back To Black (BBC4)

11.40pm Queen And Adam Lambert – The Show Must Go On (Sky Arts)

11.55pm Classic Albums: Nirvana – Nevermind (BBC4)
    12.45am Classic Albums: The Wailers – Catch A Fire (BBC4)

1.25am Queen Live At Wembley 1986 (Sky Arts)

1.45am Top Of The Pops 1988 – August 4 (BBC4)

2.40am Gimme Some Truth – John Lennon (Sky Arts)
    Documentary following the former Beatles star and his wife Yoko Ono as they recorded the album Imagine at their Ascot estate in 1971

Sunday
    9.30pm Tradfest TG4 (TG4)
    Featuring Jerry Douglas, The Kane sisters with John Blake, Lisa O'Neill and Diarmuid Ó Meachair. Presented by Doireann Ní Ghlacáin
    10pm John Legend Live At Baloise Session (Sky Arts)

10.30pm Hup (TG4)
    From Miltown Malbay

Midnight The Barry White Story – Let The Music Play (Sky Arts)

1am Songs To Have Sex To With Edith Bowman (Sky Arts)
    Edith Bowman goes on a musical journey into art, science, history and popular culture as she attempts to answer the question of the best songs to listen to during sex

Those reggae shows reminded me of the time Dick Clark (America's version of Larry Gogan) appeared on Police Squad! to ask Johnny Shoeshine what this new Ska craze was all about

Anyway, the Best rendition of Show Me The Way To Go Home Of The Week might be from Jaws (RTE2, Friday 9.35pm). There is a shark in the film too, apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Police Squad, the best cancelled comedy ever made Shirley.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

amazing job as Always Skid

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Great stuff that reggae doc is unmissable.

And heres a Police Squad Joke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I watched Jaws on ITV4 last night!

What's going on, is it his anniversary or something?

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I watched Jaws on ITV4 last night!

What's going on, is it his anniversary or something?

I don't see anything on either of the main Jaws Fan Twitter Accounts (Not sure if there is enough Jaws News happening to justify two accounts, but there you are)

https://twitter.com/thedailyjaws

https://twitter.com/jawscast75

Although apparently Jaws is back on ITV4 yet again next Tuesday,sure why not!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭corkie

^^^ It is also on Friday 11th 21:35 on RTE 2! !?

corkie wrote: »
    ^^^ It is also on Friday 11th 21:35 on RTE 2! !?

Better'n the Late Late. Far more uplifting.

Meanwhile, has anybody watched "How The Beatles changed the world" on Netflix?

My spidey senses are telling me to stay away, can anyone tell me is it likely to annoy me?

Also, they've taken down the Scorses George Harrison one, just when I want to watch it. Of course they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,952 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

TLLS will probably have a "My child was eaten by Jaws" slot.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Or

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Joe Duffy, children of the troubles.

Bruce is on The Graham Norton show tonight.

Bruce is the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

I know Bruce fans love the guy but I always found him terribly overrated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I know Bruce fans love the guy but I always found him terribly overrated.

Hes quite marmite alright. Love his music but hes fairly dull when hes talking.

Advertisement