Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,952 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Bruce is on The Graham Norton show tonight.

Bruce is the best.

I thought he died recently? Was about 90 though.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Seems there'll be a round on Eurovision on Mastermind now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I thought he died recently? Was about 90 though.

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Better'n the Late Late. Far more uplifting.

Meanwhile, has anybody watched "How The Beatles changed the world" on Netflix?

My spidey senses are telling me to stay away, can anyone tell me is it likely to annoy me?

Also, they've taken down the Scorses George Harrison one, just when I want to watch it. Of course they have.

Ah shame about George, that one is class

The other one is on Youtube, whoever made it hasn't bothered to take it down which is nae a good sign.

I watched 5 minutes of it, looked to be plodding. Although someone called Voicetube said in the comments "Absolutely AMAZING documentary – probably the best music documentary I've ever seen (and there are a lot out there!). " so now I don't know what to think

• Registered Users Posts: 72,656 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Kim Wilde.

I bet she has a beautiful garden.

• Advertisement

Nearly time for All About Eve’s moment in the spotlight :pac:

*holds breath*

:D sing it girl

Lips not even moving, Keith Harris had nothing on this.

My god, that minute felt like a lifetime.

Imagine how it felt for the band. :pac:

• Advertisement

Janice and Marky go to the next link completely ignoring the balls up of the last performance

Live TV, it can blow up in your face.

The Plastic Population, soon dropped by Yaz.

Not unlike the Miami Sound Machine and Gloria Estefan.

Or Betty Boo and The Beatmasters.

Live TV, it can blow up in your face.

Honourable mention for Pop Will Eat Itself on the LLS, although this was self inflicted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭dasdog

Oh, this Studio 17 documentary is starting off very well. I'll have to suspend my allegiance to the ska brilliance of Studio 1 for the next hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭dasdog

And unfortunately instead of spending time celebrating the music and history it quickly moved through the decades as these documentaries do with a resurrection story padding it out. Terrible that such a place and recordings could be left effectively abandoned though.

I'll revert to Kingston's Studio One :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Really enjoyed the doc on mark ronson on bbc this evening. Yes a bit of a pain in the A, but a very talented producer and musician. Great hearing a background to some Great tunes and the artists behind them.

Hello, news this week of the return of Later ... with Jools Holland on BBC2 on Thursday with a longer repeat on Friday. BBC4 has an Eric Clapton Doc which hasn't been shown in a few years (and might only have been aired once) while Sky has a back to back repeat run of The Art Of Drumming on Saturday afternoon and also lots of docs mostly about people no longer with us ...

Wednesday
    11.30pm Urban Myths: Backstage At Live Aid (Sky Arts)
    Neil Forsyth's comic reimagning of the events among the superstars and crew milling around the green room at the Live Aid concerts in 1985. Jonas Armstrong and Martin Compston star

Thursday
    4pm The Best Of Live Lounge Month (BBC Red Button, repeated on loop)
    Clara Amfo brings you the best Radio 1 Live Lounge month performances including Taylor Swift, Lewis Capaldi, Lana Del Rey and Mark Ronson.

7.30pm Top Of The Pops 1988 – August 11 (BBC4)
    Liz Kershaw and Bruno Brookes present the edition that first aired on August 11, with Mica Paris featuring Courtney Pine, All About Eve, Breathe, Iron Maiden, Tanita Tikaram, Brother Beyond, Yazz and the Plastic Population and BVSMP. No late night repeats this week, for some reason

9pm Charlotte Church – My Family And Me (Channel 4)
    One-off doc in which singer Charlotte Church explores the relationship people have with their parents by spending a week alone with her own mother and father for the first time since she was a teenager. The Churches travel to an isolated part of Devon, where they prove themselves to be an ordinary working-class family from Cardiff who just happened to have a superstar daughter. But while there is love, things at times are incredibly difficult, and it becomes apparent there is a major issue from the past that the parents and daughter have never been able to resolve

10pm George Ezra – Live At Baloise Session (Sky Arts)

11.15pm Later … With Jools Holland (BBC2NI, 10pm in the other BBC2 Nations)
    Jools returns for a new run, beginning with performances by five female artists making their debut on the show - hip-hop star Sampa the Great, Mercury Prize nominee Cate Le Bon, multi-instrumentalist Georgia, veteran soul singer PP Arnold and Arkansas singer Yebba. The longer edition tomorrow will be co-hosted by Mark Ronson who will also do a turn https://www.nme.com/news/music/later-with-jools-holland-new-series-mark-ronson-co-host-first-episode-2553569

11.40pm Emerson, Lake and Palmer Live At The Isle Of Wight 1970 (Sky Arts)

Friday
    7pm Classic Albums: Phil Collins – Face Value (Sky Arts)

7.30pm The Live Lounge Show (BBC4)
    Clara Amfo introduces a performance by English singer-songwriter Charli XCX. Songwriter musician Mark Ronson and US rapper and songwriter Anderson Paak also feature

8pm Rock n Roll America (BBC4)
    Part 2 The mid-1950s saw Elvis Presley make his TV debut with Heartbreak Hotel, following it with a gyrating version of Hound Dog that outraged the conservative media. A 'cleaned-up' artist was required, and Christian family man Pat Boone sated that need. While Jerry Lee Lewis caused upset with Whole Lotta Shakin and the Everlys shocked with Wake Up Little Susie, bespectacled geek Buddy Holly calmed things down with his school friends the Crickets. Contributors include Jerry Lee Lewis, Don Everly and Tom Jones

8pm Music Icons – Singer Songwriters (Sky Arts)
    8.30pm Music Icons – Heavy Metal (Sky Arts)

9pm Top Of The Pops 1988 – August 18 (BBC4)
    Mike Read and Simon Mayo present the edition that first aired on August 18, featuring performances by Aztec Camera, Kylie Minogue, Chris Rea, Status Quo, Van Halen, Big Country, Fairground Attraction, Julio Iglesias and Stevie Wonder, Yazz and the Plastic Population, and Robbie Robertson

9pm Mr Dynamite – The Rise Of James Brown (Sky Arts)
    The career of the singer, musician and producer, charting his journey from his first hit Please, Please, Please in 1956 through his pioneering funk phase to later chart success “A must see for any James Brown fan. And a great introduction to anyone wanting to know more of him.” Says MikeyB1973 who gave this 9 out of 10

9.30pm Eric Clapton – Life In 12 Bars (BBC4)
    Documentary profiling the blues guitarist, narrated by the man himself, as he charts his six decades in the music business, and why his insatiable desire to grow his artistic voice led him to quit a stream of successful bands, from the Yardbirds and John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers to short-lived supergroups Cream and Blind Faith. Clapton also talks about his battles with drugs and alcohol, his love for George Harrison's wife Pattie Boyd and the tragic loss of his son in an accident. Including archive interviews with BB King, George Harrison and Jimi Hendrix

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/10-things-we-learned-from-eric-clapton-life-in-12-bars-doc-127351/

11.15pm Elvis – The Final Hours (Sky Arts)
    Documentary exploring the highs and lows of Elvis Presley's life, as told by a small group of the singer's closest friends and confidants

11.35pm Eric Clapton At The BBC (BBC4)
    Archive performances by the guitarist and songwriter, who has survived both personal trauma and drug abuse to build a wide and varied musical career. He began with R&B group the Yardbirds, before moving on to join John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers. He also collaborated with Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce in Cream, and worked with Steve Winwood and John Lennon. He now enjoys success as a solo performer, and is often acclaimed as one of the greatest guitarists of his generation

12.05am The Last Pirates – Britain’s Rebel DJs (BBC4)
    The story of how 1980s land-based pirate radio broadcasters created a platform for black music, changing the soundtrack of Britain for ever. Featuring contributions by DJs, station owners and Department of Trade and Industry enforcers

12.05am Mark Ronson - From The Heart (BBC2 except in Northern Ireland)
    The songwriter and producer discusses his life and musical influences, including how the break-up of his marriage has influenced his most recent album, Late Night Feelings. The programme follows Ronson in London, Los Angeles and New York at work and at home, and there are interviews with family and friends, along with the likes of Lady Gaga, Simon Le Bon, Josh Homme and Bradley Cooper. A review from PaddyLongLegs in the post before this one said "Really enjoyed the doc on mark ronson on bbc this evening"

12.10am Later ... With Jools Holland (BBC2, 11.05pm in other BBC Nations)
    Longer version of yesterday's show

12.15am Donovan And The Beatles In India (Sky Arts)
    In 1968 the Beatles visited India, where they discovered meditation and wrote over two dozen songs that were included in the White Album, Abbey Road and later solo albums. In this documentary, folk singer Donovan - who was the ringleader of the trip - retraces the journey he and the Fab Four took to shine a light on a world of peace, love and incredible creativity

Saturday
    1pm-6pm The Art Of Drumming Parts 1-4 (Sky Arts)
    All 4 parts of Sky’s The Art Of Drumming. If you watch all of this in one go you'll have blisters on your fingers
    https://www.ft.com/content/68e4c52a-b235-11e8-8d14-6f049d06439c

6pm Elvis Presley – A Legend In Concert (Sky Arts)
    Compilation of early TV performances

7pm The Music Of Buddy Holly And The Crickets (Sky Arts)
    Paul Gambaccini’s Doc on Buddy Holly

7pm Sounds Of The Sixties (Yesterday)
    Tom Jones, the Kinks, Manfred Mann, the Rolling Stones, John Lee Hooker and the Pretty Things, Pete Seeger, Tim Buckley, Joan Baez, Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen

8pm Sounds Of The Seventies (Yesterday)
    Free, Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, Yes and Dr Feelgood, the Carpenters, Wings, Abba and Kate Bush

8.15pm Opry An Iuir (TG4)
    Daniel and Friends

9pm Chuck Berry - The King Of Rock And Roll (Sky Arts)
    2017 Documentary about Chuck who died in 2017 at the age of 90. Contributors include Keith Richards, Steven Van Zandt, Joe Perry, Nils Lofgren and Alice Cooper
    https://www.cardinalreleasing.com/chuck-the-documentary

11pm Teddy Prendergrass: If You Don’t Know Me () (Sky Arts)
    A profile of the soul singer, who found fame as lead vocalist with Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes but had a successful solo career curtailed by a car crash that left him paralyzed

11pm MTV Unplugged – Liam Gallagher (MTV)
    Also repeated many times on other MTV stations over the weekend.
    I mean, if you have all the MTV stations it’s probably on one of them right now

11.30pm Port (TG4)
    Uist – Trad from the West coast of Scotland

12.20am Top Of The Pops 1988 – August 18 (BBC4)
    As Friday

1.10am Marvin Gaye: What’s Going On? (Sky Arts)

1.45am Duran Duran: There’s Something You Should Know (RTE1)
    Duran Duran Doc which RTE showed very recently. Contributors include Boy George, Nile Rodgers and Mark Ronson

2.25am John Legend Live At Baloise Session (Sky Arts)

Sunday
    7pm Alicia Keyes Live At Baloise Session (Sky Arts)

8.30pm Pat Shortt’s Music From D’Telly (RTE1)

9pm The Barry White Story – Let The Music Play (Sky Arts)

9.30pm Tradfest TG4 (TG4)
    With Mick Moloney And The Green Fields Of America

10.30pm Hup (TG4)
    From Drumshanbo, with Eleanor Shanley and others

11.20pm Chuck Berry – The King Of Rock And Roll (Sky Arts)

1.20am The Music Of Buddy Holly And The Crickets (Sky Arts)

3.15am Mr Dynamite – The Rise Of James Brown (Sky Arts)

That messy BBC2 regional schedule on Friday is brought to you by live coverage earlier on of Larne v Glentoran. Larne was the hometown of the splendidly name Fyfe Ewing, who was the original drummer in Therapy?

Last week there was a show about How to have a Number One Record, the BBC are completing the circle by having a link to the radio version of the KLF's 'How To Burn A Million Quid' https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/brand/p06x35s5

For the shorter version, here are the KLF on The Late Late Show talking to a bemused Gay Byrne about burning all that money

This is a rare week when there isn't a 1970s Frank Sinatra TV Special on Sky Arts, so the Best Version Of New York, New York Of The Week might be from Gremlins 2 - The New Batch (RTE2 Sunday 2pm)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,952 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Thanks as ever Skid. Slim pickin's this week indeed despite Jools, maybe next week he'll have someone I've heard of... ("producers" don't count)

9pm Charlotte Church – My Family And Me (Channel 4)
    ...things at times are incredibly difficult, and it becomes apparent there is a major issue from the past that the parents and daughter have never been able to resolve

I presume this is a repeat.
    Can someone cut to the chase here and save me an hour out of my life. Don't forget the spoiler tags though :D

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Thanks as ever Skid. Slim pickin's this week indeed despite Jools, maybe next week he'll have someone I've heard of... ("producers" don't count)

I presume this is a repeat.
    Can someone cut to the chase here and save me an hour out of my life. Don't forget the spoiler tags though :D

Apparently the show is all new new new so it's anyone's guess at this particular moment in time

Maybe it's a revelation about when Charlotte was going out with occasional rugby player Gavin Henson

• Advertisement

I bought some Courtney Pine yesterday...I was all out of air fresheners. :cool:

All About Eve, take two!

*holds breath*

• Registered Users Posts: 11,955 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

All About Eve, take two!
    The b side is called All About Steve ;)

Play Van Halen!

Oh wait, it’s Van Hagar :pac:

‘Hands To Heaven’.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,955 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Play Van Halen!

Oh wait, it’s Van Hagar :pac:
    Sammy is a great singer. I can't drive 55 ;)

M A I D E N!

Now we’re talking :)

This Good Tradition song is quite bouncy and then her next one was Twist In My Sobriety which wass like something you would hear at a funeral.

Still didn't stop the DJ playing it at a Disco I was at once, not sure if it was for a bet.

Apparently Brother Beyond got their name as their manager thought it would be good to have them next to Bros in the record shops.

• Advertisement

The horror...

R-3198978-1395193387-7867.jpeg.jpg

Advertisement