Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Girl "scared" after hijab attack

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Chrongen wrote: »
    No more than I am "for" a turban or a sari or a hat or a pair of gloves or a dot on an Indian woman's forehead or a miniskirt or a bra.

It's a garment. What's this "for/against" busllshit?

Wish it were just a "garment" like a sock or a glove. It is a statement of exclusive political and religious sectarian identity. Ask a committed wearer to not wear what you say is only an item of clothing and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

quintana76 wrote: »
    Wish it were just a "garment" like a sock or a glove. It is a statement of exclusive political and religious sectarian identity. Ask a committed wearer to not wear what you say is only an item of clothing and see what happens.

Really? Ask a woman to take off her bra in public and see what happens.

Likewise a Sikh with a turban, How about you go up to a nun and demand she remove her head-wear or a Jew with his yarmulka?

Are you "against" all those items of clothing that people are perfectly within their rights to wear/adorn or is it just the stinking Muslim that you want to fcuk with?

Really? Ask a woman to take off her bra in public and see what happens.

Likewise a Sikh with a turban, How about you go up to a nun and demand she remove her head-wear or a Jew with his yarmulka?

Are you "against" all those items of clothing that people are perfectly within their rights to wear/adorn or is it just the stinking Muslim that you want to fcuk with?

Read what I wrote. I said "if you ask not to wear" not take off in public. Good try at diverting my point though.

Read what I wrote. I said "if you ask not to wear" not take off in public. Good try at diverting my point though.

It doesn't matter where you ask or demand that someone take off what they want to wear just because you yourself have some kind of misguided bias as to how people should clothe themselves.

There's no diverting here at all, buddy. Why would you ask someone to not wear something whether that be in public or anywhere else? Who or what gives YOU that right?

Would you ask a Hare Krishna to remove their strange orange robes and baggy pants just because you think they are not what you are "down" with?

Cop yourself on, will you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭gw80

It doesn't matter where you ask or demand that someone take off what they want to wear just because you yourself have some kind of misguided bias as to how people should clothe themselves.

There's no diverting here at all, buddy. Why would you ask someone to not wear something whether that be in public or anywhere else? Who or what gives YOU that right?

Would you ask a Hare Krishna to remove their strange orange robes and baggy pants just because you think they are not what you are "down" with?

Cop yourself on, will you.
    And likewise you would have no problem with someone wearing a swastika, or a kkk robe, or worse a " make America great again" hat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

gw80 wrote: »
    And likewise you would have no problem with someone wearing a swastika, or a kkk robe, or worse a " make America great again" hat

lol

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Yes, my original post stands. I mentioned that the child's story didn't make sense, I pointed out that she was a kid and I still wonder what motivated a person of 'extensive policing experience' to start a thread in AH about it.

I've what I'd call a very finely tuned bullshitometer and the motivations for the 'brilliant' police work of detective Shield sets it off.

Sceptically,

JYT.
    Instead of repeating myself, I'll quote bits from previous posts. If you believe me, you believe me, if you don't, you don't. Perhaps you might take my overall Boards profile into account before rushing to a decision that I had nefarious motivations though?
    Shield wrote: »
    To clarify: My 'intention' in starting this thread was to provide a point of view from someone with particular life experience. If anyone out there has other life experience they would like to bring to the discussion, perhaps pointing out a blind spot that I may have in this case, or something I haven't considered, I'd love to hear it.

I'm aware this is an uncomfortable issue for some, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have discussions about uncomfortable issues.
    Shield wrote: »
    AH has been modded incredibly well of late, so I took a gamble and thought it might be a good place to start a difficult discussion on the facts as stated.

gw80 wrote: »

You are the one who is talking about telling people what or what not to wear, not me. Don't now try to tell me what I might have or have not a problem with.

It was your mistake and it was your ignorance.
    You clamoured that people shouldn't be allowed to wear certain garments...or at least be questioned as to why they wear them.
    I disagreed and now you try to accuse me of KKK or Nazi sympathies?

A pathetic, amateurish and peurile attempt at winning an argument. I have no love for those who wear Klan robes, and in case you are trying to equate them with a child who wears a yarmulka or a hijab or a sari or a turban then I would call you out on you despicable ans shabby attempts.

But you might want to know this. I may be repulsed by somebody who saunters around in KKK garb or an SS uniform but if you think for a single moment that my revulsion would equate to a girl wearing a headscarf because it's a cultural norm with some religious connotations then you are a completely deluded person.

You are the one who is talking about telling people what or what not to wear, not me. Don't now try to tell me what I might have or have not a problem with.

It was your mistake and it was your ignorance.
    You clamoured that people shouldn't be allowed to wear certain garments...or at least be questioned as to why they wear them.
    I disagreed and now you try to accuse me of KKK or Nazi sympathies?

A pathetic, amateurish and peurile attempt at winning an argument. I have no love for those who wear Klan robes, and in case you are trying to equate them with a child who wears a yarmulka or a hijab or a sari or a turban then I would call you out on you despicable ans shabby attempts.

But you might want to know this. I may be repulsed by somebody who saunters around in KKK garb or an SS uniform but if you think for a single moment that my revulsion would equate to a girl wearing a headscarf because it's a cultural norm with some religious connotations then you are a completely deluded person.

You really do seem to have a problem in properly reading entries that you disagree with. Where above was it said you supported the Nazis or the KKK ? The contributer was trying to make a point by using examples. If you are not able to grasp that it is not their fault. That is twice in a short period you have not read what was written and gone into a defensive (diversionary ?) rant. Please try and keep up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Yarden Mariuma writes: "Taqiyya is an Islamic juridical term whose shifting meaning relates to when a Muslim is allowed, under Sharia law, to lie.

Wrong again, you are very good at it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taqiya

Pathetic carry on from the usual sources but no surprise there. You’re taking home line of a quote and spinning it to portray a totally erroneous version of an obscure concept. You haven’t a clue what you’re on about mate.

• Advertisement

You really do seem to have a problem in properly reading entries that you disagree with. Where above was it said you supported the Nazis or the KKK ? The contributer was trying to make a point by using examples. If you are not able to grasp that it is not their fault. That is twice in a short period you have not read what was written and gone into a defensive (diversionary ?) rant. Please try and keep up.

The example of which you speak was foolish lazy and typical of someone who, when their position is challenged, they resort to a polar opposite replete with innuendo and thinly veiled acusations.

We've seen this shabby trickery a thousand times before. You disagree with someone who screeches that a rapist should be shot/castrated/tortured to death and their kick back is "I suppose you think they should be hugged and given therapy in a Caribbean resort".

That's all that happened here. What twisted logic or complete lack of logic must one display to think that this is an argument worthy of adult consideration?

The poster, in response to my questioning as to why a person should not be allowed to wear a garment of their choice, fired back with the infantile allusion that I would be OK with someone wearing Nazi or KKK garb. At least that's what I took from the exchange. Did you see something different?

There are plenty of things to wear that are disgusting...namely Loyalist T-Shirts celebrating Catholic deaths or Republican badges celebrating or sneering at Protestant deaths. You have cops in the US wearing T-shirts adorned with slogans such as "We get up early to beat the crowds" and pictures of cops clubbing the tar out of black people.

These are all ignorant and offensive and revolting. I sure as fcuk don't equate them with a girl wearing a headscarf or a boy wearing a turban or a yarmulka.

Advertisement