Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How did PCP work out in the end?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

McCrack wrote: »
    Lol okay

Never mind the 50 percent depreciation after 3 years.. Which is c.15k but yes the brochure says "0 percent finance" and a signing up bonus

Depreciation is a wild beast, it doesn't care how you've purchased your car, it will affect all cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Are you seriously asking that question?

Yes. You're clearly against "finance at a cost for a depreciating asset" but if I was to save and buy with cash it would still depreciate. What's the alternative for a new buyer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

Use the bus..

Anything to do with buying a car is related to depreciation, not at our market does it appreciate.
    0% APR is good value for your money compared to a bank loan (not sure CU %)
    You have to work out for yourself the full cost of the car, deposit, contributions, monthly, final payment.
    An alternative is to buy a 2nd hand car on PCP where a chunk of the major depreciation is done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

PCP is not as attractive on 2nd hand cars and makes little sense imo. You end up still having a fairly large balloon payment on a car after 3 years that's at the age where there is no equity left in it. Nobody wants to be still owing a balloon payment on a car that is at least 5 years years old.

PCP is geared towards new cars and manufacturers also generally give incentives to get customers into new cars in the form of cash contributions towards the PCP deposit, the car has a bit of equity in it after 3 years so that the customer uses that equity towards a PCP deal on another new car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Lol okay

Never mind the 50 percent depreciation after 3 years.. Which is c.15k but yes the brochure says "0 percent finance" and a signing up bonus

What's your point? This is a thread about PCP, all new cars depreciate, whether you buy through PCP, bankloan or cash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Lol okay

Agreed, don't forget food, clothes, phones, nearly all bought goods and people eventually. It's a mugs game buying stuff... Who cares if it gives you pleasure or enjoyment....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭McCrack

rustynutz wrote: »
    What's your point? This is a thread about PCP, all new cars depreciate, whether you buy through PCP, bankloan or cash

Yes most of us understand that however it's a mug who takes out finance to buy a brand new car, not only are they paying interest etc but also taking a big hit on depreciation. Also these pcp deals are on fairly unremarkable bland vehicles that are common everywhere.

If a person has savings and/or earnings to enable them buy brand new then fair enough that's their own money and you are unlikely to find them in a 202 hyundai Kona etc

Yes most of us understand that however it's a mug who takes out finance to buy a brand new car, not only are they paying interest etc but also taking a big hit on depreciation. Also these pcp deals are on fairly unremarkable bland vehicles that are common everywhere.

If a person has savings and/or earnings to enable them buy brand new then fair enough that's their own money and you are unlikely to find them in a 202 hyundai Kona etc

The person buying a car in cash has to deal with the same depreciation, you haven't given an answer as to what people who want to buy new are supposed to do with depreciation? Your original post clearly made a point about how finance is bad for something that depreciates. Not everyone wants to buy a 10 year old banger to get around depreciation.

Very, very few people pay cash. People have been buying cars on finance for a very, very long time. They're happy to pay interest because a service is being provided to them. Financial services, like all services, cost money.

Next you'll be telling me I'm a fool for paying tax and carbon charges on gas and electricity instead of buying solar...

When you say a person buying in cash you mean a person that has enough of their own money (saved/earned) to make a purchase of a new car. Yes of course depreciation will kick in for them too however they can afford it and they not also paying interest etc on the purchase monies. That's the significant difference and we wonder why we have a "squeezed middle" in this country.

Pcp is not a service as you suggest. It's a product and a very cleverly marketed one. So yes as the saying goes... A fool and his money..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

We bought a 171 for cash new 3 years ago, wife drives it, when it gets 7-8 years old I will probably get it and drive it to the point that it is costing me money by being too much to repair.

I know the mileage is correct, I know it will be looked after and serviced right. Will it cost that much when I look at a new car as a 12-14 year project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

When you say a person buying in cash you mean a person that has enough of their own money (saved/earned) to make a purchase of a new car. Yes of course depreciation will kick in for them too however they can afford it and they not also paying interest etc on the purchase monies. That's the significant difference and we wonder why we have a "squeezed middle" in this country.

Pcp is not a service as you suggest. It's a product and a very cleverly marketed one. So yes as the saying goes... A fool and his money..

0% or very low PCP costs the exact same as paying cash.

The massive difference is if you go PCP you can use your cash for something else. Even keeping it as savings is a better idea than trying it into a depreciating asset.

Say you have 60k
    You buy a car for 50k
    You have 10. Covid happens you lost you're previously rock solid job. Nobody wants to buy your 50k car at time of uncertainty. You've got 10k to survive on.

You put down a 10k deposit.
    You intend paying 500 a month on 0%.
    Covid happens.
    You've 50k in the bank and the option to take the hit in bad credit history and throw the keys back.
    You've also got 50k to keep paying the 500 a month until another job happens.

(I know anyone with 60k savings shouldn't be buying 50k cars)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Some amount of nonsense. Why don't you go to a forum where you know what you're talking about

Synode wrote: »
    Some amount of nonsense. Why don't you go to a forum where you know what you're talking about

Well maybe you got sucked in and have a shiny 201 **** box outside but that's the reality with taking out finance on a brand new car. It's a mugs game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I guess that car outside your door wasn't originally bought with some sort of finance either. Without that "mug" you would would have it now. A very begrudging mindset imo.

I wish people all the best buying new cars whatever way they want to pay for them as it gives me plenty of choice when I come to buy them when they are tired of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Well maybe you got sucked in and have a shiny 201 **** box outside but that's the reality with taking out finance on a brand new car. It's a mugs game.

If people can afford a nice new car, more luck to them. Your attitude is miserable and begrudging. Without 'fools' as you refer to them, there would be no motor industry to begin with. Not sure why you bother posting in this thread with your attitude to new car buyers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

They turned you down for finance didn't they? It's ok, you can tell us :pac:

Comhra wrote: »
    If people can afford a nice new car, more luck to them. Your attitude is miserable and begrudging. Without 'fools' as you refer to them, there would be no motor industry to begin with. Not sure why you bother posting in this thread with your attitude to new car buyers.

As I said in a previous post if a person has their own money saved/earned then of course go ahead and buy brand new if they wish. Getting finance/pcp to buy brand new is not affording it and its foolish spending on a brand new depreciating asset and trust me I certainly dont "begrudge" anybody getting a pcp to drive some 201 uninspiring crossover Tuscon, captur or whatever else the masses have thesedays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,977 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Steven81 wrote: »
    We bought a 171 for cash new 3 years ago, wife drives it, when it gets 7-8 years old I will probably get it and drive it to the point that it is costing me money by being too much to repair.

I know the mileage is correct, I know it will be looked after and serviced right. Will it cost that much when I look at a new car as a 12-14 year project.

We did that for years. I took other half car and git her a newer one. Really saved money as it we were buying one car about 4-5 years old in a straight deal. Yes you had to.paynout a big lump of money but depreciation and dealer margin was not crippling us every 1-2 years if both buying and changing cars.

As well it means you have one decent car to go on holidays or to travel somewhere with

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭JCN12

bazz26 wrote: »
    I guess that car outside your door wasn't originally bought with some sort of finance either. Without that "mug" you would would have it now. A very begrudging mindset imo.

I wish people all the best buying new cars whatever way they want to pay for them as it gives me plenty of choice when I come to buy them when they are tired of them.

+1

All these people in debt are doing us a tremendous favour in the long run.

I just hope they look after the cars well for us.

PCP is great. :)

JCN12 wrote: »
    +1

All these people in debt are doing us a tremendous favour in the long run.

I just hope they look after the cars well for us.

PCP is great. :)

Agreed I just keep away from not a d I keep my children away from it as well

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

There are 2 types of people in the world;

1. People who know what credit is, and how to use it.

2. People who don't know what credit is, or how to use it.

There are 2 types of people in the world;

1. People who know what credit is, and how to use it.

2. People who don't know what credit is, or how to use it.

I'm pretty sure there are many more types of people out there, with various opinions and understandings of credit and the subsequent debt to be paid.

However, one thing never changes with credit.

The house always wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

0% or very low PCP costs the exact same as paying cash.

The massive difference is if you go PCP you can use your cash for something else. Even keeping it as savings is a better idea than trying it into a depreciating asset.

Say you have 60k
    You buy a car for 50k
    You have 10. Covid happens you lost you're previously rock solid job. Nobody wants to buy your 50k car at time of uncertainty. You've got 10k to survive on.

You put down a 10k deposit.
    You intend paying 500 a month on 0%.
    Covid happens.
    You've 50k in the bank and the option to take the hit in bad credit history and throw the keys back.
    You've also got 50k to keep paying the 500 a month until another job happens.

(I know anyone with 60k savings shouldn't be buying 50k cars)

Fair comment. The funny thing is, tbe majority of people buying 50k cars wouldnt have anywhere even close to 60k cash in the bank.
    Its pretty crazy but alot of households dont even have a months wages in savings. The more secure the job, the worse people are in terms of saving.
    I know public sector workers who would be in all sorts of trouble if their money was 1 week late.

I'm pretty sure there are many more types of people out there, with various opinions and understandings of credit and the subsequent debt to be paid.

However, one thing never changes with credit.

The house always wins.

Who's "the house"? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I think he means scrappage of 3k +3k cash =6k deposit

Yes, sorry. I need to make it a bit more clear. I wanted to give as much details, but it got mashed up together, sorry.

It was 6k deposit, which was 3k cash + 3k scrapage I got for my alfa.

Edit: Jaysus feck all mighty. Just read the rest of the thread since my post. Wtf is wrong with some people. Its a thread where people can give real world examples not just on paper numbers of pcp purchases to help people understand it better. Not a "You are an idiot buying buying new car on finance, I drive my 99 Corrola and it actually printing me money instead of losing it!" thread. Every damn thread turns in to this **** lately.

Imagine being that ignorant that you can't see the value of finance, even if you don't use it yourself. This has to be a wind up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Who's "the house"? :confused:
    The bank and the dealer. Two houses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭tscul32

We did it a few years ago. At the time the family car was on its last legs. We couldn't afford the bank loan repayments on a 3-4 year old second hand one so went for new with 0% pcp (repaid around €200 per month vs 400+). We knew our finances were improving over the next while. We put money aside aswell as the 200 and at the end of the 3 years we just paid it off, less than half the value. So it worked perfectly for us. We had a driving holiday booked 6 weeks from when we were advised not to bring the old car so needed to get sorted quickly, otherwise we'd have waited 6 mths or so until we were in a better position. But it worked out great. Car is now 5 years old and we'll keep it until it dies.
    Our 2nd car was a 15 year old hyundai accent which finally failed an nct this year so at that age it wasn't worth fixing. In a round about way we benefitted from pcp again, as my brother was just at the end of his pcp term and wanted to upgrade. So he got the price from the garage for his current car and let us have it for the same amount (cash), giving us trade price and saving about 4k. And we know the car's history and benefitted from his low mileage.
    Hopefully these cars will do us for a few years now.

0% finance. Brand new car every 3 years for very little extra. Yeah, we're mugs :pac:

• Advertisement

0% finance. Brand new car every 3 years for very little extra. Yeah, we're mugs :pac:
    Very little extra in the monthlies, yes, but you're always topping up the deposit and the GFMV is increasing.

There is no such thing as a free supper

Slava Ukrainii

Please, no more posts about how people think 0% is built into the cost of the car...

ELM327 wrote: »
    The bank and the dealer. Two houses.

So the person who bought the car they want, for the price they wanted to pay, using the payment method of their choice, doesn't win?

So the person who bought the car they want, for the price they wanted to pay, using the payment method of their choice, doesn't win?

on pcp thats not the end of the transaction.

on pcp thats not the end of the transaction.

It depends on your point of view.

• Advertisement

It depends on your point of view.
    You can have all the points of view you want but after 3 years the balance is due. The transaction finishes then.
    If your car is only worth the GFMV then you need to add another few k to "go again" in PCP

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Imagine being that ignorant that you can't see the value of finance, even if you don't use it yourself. This has to be a wind up.

It seems to me, that the users who have ushered concern over PCP's, can see the value of credit, but not on a depreciating asset by intrinsic nature, and the economic exposure it can lead too.

A mortgage for your home, may likely yield good value in the main.

Calling someone ignorant implies a lack of understanding and education on the accusers part.

Please, no more posts about how people think 0% is built into the cost of the car...

TBH it very hard to discuss how PCP works without factoring n how the credit side of it works

Slava Ukrainii

Very little extra in the monthlies, yes, but you're always topping up the deposit and the GFMV is increasing.

Didn't have to put another cent in.

Didn't have to put another cent in.
    This time.
    If the bubble bursts and you dont have any "equity" you will next time

• Advertisement

They win sometimes like any roulette wheel but the house always we wins. The bank is the house and always wins. The dealer dose not necessarily always win as he carried the risk of the bubble bursting in a downturn like in 2008-2010.

Slava Ukrainii

This time.
    If the bubble bursts and you dont have any "equity" you will next time

Yes, if. No crystal ball here but I certainly won't have an issue taking out a loan to repay the balloon payment if that happens. Things have got to be paid for.

They win sometimes like any roulette wheel but the house always we wins. The bank is the house and always wins. The dealer dose not necessarily always win as he carried the risk of the bubble bursting in a downturn like in 2008-2010.

It's not gambling, there's no roulette wheels involved, you do know we're talking about financing cars with PCP?! Not a trip to Vegas. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Yes, sorry. I need to make it a bit more clear. I wanted to give as much details, but it got mashed up together, sorry.

It was 6k deposit, which was 3k cash + 3k scrapage I got for my alfa.

Edit: Jaysus feck all mighty. Just read the rest of the thread since my post. Wtf is wrong with some people. Its a thread where people can give real world examples not just on paper numbers of pcp purchases to help people understand it better. Not a "You are an idiot buying buying new car on finance, I drive my 99 Corrola and it actually printing me money instead of losing it!" thread. Every damn thread turns in to this **** lately.

Exactly, the stupid negative for the sake of being negative posts should really be removed.

You can have all the points of view you want but after 3 years the balance is due. The transaction finishes then.
    If your car is only worth the GFMV then you need to add another few k to "go again" in PCP

Yea we all know that. That's all been covered from the start of this thread. Have you anything new to offer?

It seems to me, that the users who have ushered concern over PCP's, can see the value of credit, but not on a depreciating asset by intrinsic nature, and the economic exposure it can lead too.

A mortgage for your home, may likely yield good value in the main.

Calling someone ignorant implies a lack of understanding and education on the accusers part.

Try telling that load of rubbish to someone who bought a house in 2007.

This was a great thread until all the "hate everything you're all stupid numptys" turned up.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Try telling that load of rubbish to someone who bought a house in 2007.

Note how I said 'home' and not 'house'.

A home for you and your family is one of the most fundamental things in life. If that means prudent credit useage, then so be it.

Prudency wasn't all to common in 2007 unfortunately. Many Irish people suffered due to reckless credit useage.

It was dubbed the credit bubble by economists. Many people during that time thought that they knew how to use credit, and work low interest rates.
    People who warned against it we're called begrudgers and ignorant, and told to keep quiet because it wasn't what the majority wanted to hear. Sound familiar?

Reliance on finance can be a difficult mindset to break.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Yea we all know that. That's all been covered from the start of this thread. Have you anything new to offer?
    Clearly some dont.

Have you anything worthwhile to offer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

yeah but it's safe zero resting on a flat earth overseen by the lizard people.

• Advertisement
Advertisement