Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How did PCP work out in the end?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

ELM327 wrote: »
    Clearly some dont.

Have you anything worthwhile to offer?

Yep, driving my second car on pcp I haven’t been gobbled up by the pcp demons yet....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

Sorry guys, probably been covered before...but what happens PCP cars in a recession? When used values fall dramatically. Is it in the contract your car is worth x amount after x years or is it a book or market value at any given moment. I'm asking this because of all the covid recession talk that is not showing up yet but maybe later.
    Also I'm trying to sell a 162 car, I bought 6 months ago at a very competitive price at the time, only to find out that I'll likely take a 30% hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Even if the bottom fell out of used car prices then you still owe the original GMFV or balloon payment at the end of year 3. However it would not make any sense to keep the car by paying off the GMFV/balloon payment if it's worth substantially less than that GMFV/balloon payment. Just hand it back, walk away and then buy that car from the dealer or a similar car for less than what you owed under the PCP deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

bazz26 wrote: »
    Even if the bottom fell out of used car prices then you still owe the original GMFV or balloon payment at the end of year 3. However it would not make any sense to keep the car by paying off the GMFV/balloon payment if it's worth substantially less than that GMFV/balloon payment. Just hand it back, walk away and then buy that car from the dealer or a similar car for less than what you owed under the PCP deal.

Who pays for the drop then...the fairy in the sky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,977 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Even if the bottom fell out of used car prices then you still owe the original GMFV or balloon payment at the end of year 3. However it would not make any sense to keep the car by paying off the GMFV/balloon payment if it's worth substantially less than that GMFV/balloon payment. Just hand it back, walk away and then buy it or a similar car for less than what you owed under the PCP deal.

This sounds great in theory. But you have to access a car at an unplanned time when tour finances may be under pressure anyway. It interesting that from about 2008-2011 the money in the car trade was in reselling cars in the 500-1500 euro bracket. These were the only cars a lot of people could afford due to having to access cars after there cars were repossessded/handed back.

Slava Ukrainii

lalababa wrote: »

This is an known..unknown or is it an unknown...known. We have to get Donald Rumsfelt to explain that one, along with 0% finance on total car price

because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don't know we don't know.

He could not have explained it better

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I'm on PCP on a Skoda Octavia from new, that I love.

Previous to this, I had two second hand cars, that I drove till they died, and both needed reasonably regular injections of cash for repairs and the insurance and tax was more expensive.

I couldn't believe it when I switched my insurance from a 14 year old car to a brand new car and saved a few hundred.

Road tax was cheaper as smaller, more efficient engine.

No need to NCT for a few years.

I considered a loan to help buy the car, but the interest was far too high. The dealership offered 0% interest and a trade in of 3k on a car that literally was broken down in my workplace car park, and had to be towed away.

The Octavia was the previous model (which I prefer), and as the new model was coming out, I got a special edition (Soleil) for a very good price (same as retail for standard model) as they wanted to clear these out, and they wanted the sale.

- half leather seats
    - heated front seats
    - auto lights
    - auto wipers
    - heated side view mirrors
    - leather steering wheel
    - chrome fixings
    - auto dim rear view mirror
    - tinted back and rear windows
    - LED headlights
    - headlight washers
    Etc.

I know the Octavia isn't for everyone, but I absolutely love it. It's my first car from new and I treat it like a princess.

I will be keeping the car.

I put down a 5k downpayment and pay a very manageable repayment once a month, and then will have roughly 7k outstanding after three years.

At that point, I can pay the 7k, or refinance it again into very manageable monthly repayments for a further period.

I am the only one who has driven this car. I have added original Skoda parts and extras to the vehicle. I have a service record with Skoda.

PCP allowed this to happen. As has been said previously, people complaining about PCP likely don't understand it.

For me, I had the choice of another banger I would have high road tax and insurance and regular NCTs and likely high regular repair costs or... A brand new car.

I await with baited breath criticisms of my car choice. I'm very happy with it.

The financial institution who loaned the money would take the hit however this would be worst case scenario. Like any lender there is always a small percentage of potential bad loans accounted for. It's very unlikely that the entire used car market would just collapse.
    This sounds great in theory. But you have to access a car at an unplanned time when tour finances may be under pressure anyway. It interesting that from about 2008-2011 the money in the car trade was in reselling cars in the 500-1500 euro bracket. These were the only cars a lot of people could afford due to having to access cars after there cars were repossessded/handed back.

If your in financial dire straights at that point then handing back the car and walking away with nothing is the best solution. The halfway rule applies to PCP finance. Replace it with a cheap bangernomics car if you still rely on a car for transport.

The financial institution who loaned the money would take the hit however this would be worst case scenario. Like any lender there is always a small percentage of potential bad loans accounted for. It's very unlikely that the entire used car market would just collapse.

It did in 2008-10. Second cars dropped about 25-40% in value depending on the market segment.

If your in financial dire straights at that point then handing back the car and walking away with nothing is the best solution. The halfway rule applies to PCP finance. Replace it with a cheap bangernomics car if you still rely on a car for transport.

Again sounds great in theory. But its workable if you intend to pick up a car that will maybe be doing smallish mileage. However if you are travelling a distance to work or maybe needing a people carrier then it may be harder to find a car that suits

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

It did in 2008-10. Second cars dropped about 25-40% in value depending on the market segment.

How much of the 2008-10 new car market was PCP? PCP was still a pretty new concept to the masses back then. Either way you will always have a percentage of hand backs/repossessions even in the good times.

Again sounds great in theory. But its workable if you intend to pick up a car that will maybe be doing smallish mileage. However if you are travelling a distance to work or maybe needing a people carrier then it may be harder to find a car that suits

There are plenty of good cheap used cars out there for sale including people carriers that have been swapped for trendy SUV crossovers the last few years. You would be surprised with what people can make do with and get by in when it becomes necessary.

We could probably predict whatabouteries all night.

J Mysterio wrote: »

Previous to this, I had two second hand cars, that I drove till they died, and both needed reasonably regular injections of cash for repairs and the insurance and tax was more expensive.

I couldn't believe it when I switched my insurance from a 14 year old car to a brand new car and saved a few hundred.

I considered a loan to help buy the car, but the interest was far too high. The dealership offered 0% interest and a trade in of 3k on a car that literally was broken down in my workplace car park, and had to be towed away.

The Octavia was the previous model (which I prefer), and as the new model was coming out, I got a special edition (Soleil) for a very good price (same as retail for standard model) as they wanted to clear these out, and they wanted the sale.

- half leather seats
    - heated front seats
    - auto lights
    - auto wipers
    - leather steering wheel
    - chrome fixings
    - LED headlights
    - headlight washers
    Etc.

I know the Octavia isn't for everyone, but I absolutely love it. It's my first car from new and I treat it like a princess.

I put down a 5k downpayment and pay a very manageable repayment once a month, and then will have roughly 7k outstanding after three years.

At that point, I can pay the 7k, or refinance it again into very manageable monthly repayments for a further period.

I am the only one who has driven this car. I have added original Skoda parts and extras to the vehicle. I have a service record with Skoda.

PCP allowed this to happen. As has been said previously, people complaining about PCP likely don't understand it.

For me, I had the choice of another banger I would have high road tax and insurance and regular NCTs and likely high regular repair costs or... A brand new car.

Spot on, I'm a great fan of the skodas in general. It's a pity they didn't put climate control in the soleil model otherwise it's a great spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Water2626262

Depends on the brand. If the dealer can’t sell the returned car and clear the balloon then it either falls on the dealer themselves, distributor or the finance house. E.g. some brands have the dealer take responsibility for the gmfv themselves while others like VW bank have the finance house take the risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Bit of advice/experience people.

Say if ahem, ones significant other had a tip in a PCP car.

What is the outcome insurance wise?

18 month old car.
    Write-off

My educated guess
    The insurers pay out the value if the car
    You must pay VW bank the outstanding.

You're left with remaining to sort your new car.

Am I missing anything?
    How do I /they work out current value?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

18 month old car.
    Write-off

My educated guess

Am I missing anything?

That’s exactly what will happen.

If I were you (And you wanted to replace the car) I would get onto your dealer and tell them the story, also tell them what you’re being offered for your car. If the dealer is any good they should be able to fight your case and get you more for you car, and you might be able to start a new PCP again with your equity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

18 month old car.
    Write-off

My educated guess

Am I missing anything?

They will offer you a crap figure. You need to fight your corner and as LM says, get help from dealer.
    If you had gap i surance or return to invoice insurance, the car i surer would pay out market value and the return to invoice insurer would pay out the difference between that and new cost.
    I assume you dont have that insurance though.

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    They will offer you a crap figure. You need to fight your corner and as LM says, get help from dealer.
    If you had gap i surance or return to invoice insurance, the car i surer would pay out market value and the return to invoice insurer would pay out the difference between that and new cost.
    I assume you dont have that insurance though.

Nativity here (on my behalf).
    Why you reckon they'll offer a terrible price?
    Or how could they justify it?
    Only 3 same care on DD today. All with €500 of eachother.

Gap insurance nope. Shoulda woulda coulda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

My spiel, my wife had a 2010 Ibiza 1.4 TDi with 200kms on it when the engine went kaput and was beyond repair in 2018

We looked into a new Ibiza as there was some good deals at the time. Ended up buying a new Ibiza FR 1.0 TSi in March '18. It's been a great car and has cost her nothing except two front tyres - free servicing was included. Went in to the local dealer in June to inquire about the new Leon and the Ateca FR caught both our attention really. We are expecting our first child so extra space is needed. In short we put down a deposit and are collecting it tomorrow. My wife had exceeded the mileage allowance on the PCP (was commuting 100kms a day), Ibiza has 62k on it now and wasn't due back until March next year but the numbers made sense for us now. We have both saved since COVID and she will be WFH for the foreseeable future and will be on mat leave for most of the first year of ownership so the uplift in monthly payments will be offset by fuel and toll savings.

In summary:
    Cost of Ibiza FR in 2018 - €22k
    Dealer contribution €2k
    Scrappage €2k
    Cash deposit €2k
    Amount financed €16k.
    1.9% repayments of €253 a month
    Trade in value €13.5k
    Settlement €10k - €3.5k equity carried

Ateca FR 1.5 TSi Metallic Red
    Cost including delivery and metallic €36k
    Equity €3.5k
    Cash deposit €3.5k
    0% interest
    Repayments €419.90
    GMFV €13,846

So in short we got back €13.5k on a car which cost us €18k, that's 75% and in my view is very good considering we were above the mileage allowance on the PCP but on the other hand there are very little new shape Ibiza's in FR trim so i am sure it will be an easy sale.

The GMFV is very low on the Ateca, so there should be minimum 7k equity to change up in 3 years should we take the fancy, 171 Ateca FRs are making 22k+ now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Your monthlies have doubled though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Nativity here (on my behalf).
    Why you reckon they'll offer a terrible price?
    Or how could they justify it?
    Only 3 same care on DD today. All with €500 of eachother.

Gap insurance nope. Shoulda woulda coulda.

Well its their business to save money. All looks abit silly then when you see what they give out on dodgy injury cases.
    Any recent cases ive seen, they were offering the lower end of donedeal pricing.
    Owners then had to send on examples of cars at higher pricing and also sent on examples asking the low price and showed that they were high mile or low spec etc.
    With an 18 month old car, you need to be getting a figure that allows you walk into main dealer and buy the same car in same spec at same age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

They haven't doubled and they've gone up 2 classes of car from an Ibiza to an Ateca FR. So of course you're going to pay more. Just like you would if this was HP or any other product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

The PCP contract is essentially a lease with a few options thrown in at the end. The payments up to that point have been to lease the vehicle. There is an option then to buy it at the end of the lease term for a fixed amount. If that amount is not attractive, the vehicle is handed back and the contract has been fulfilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭JCN12

hooch-85 wrote: »
    My spiel, my wife had a 2010 Ibiza 1.4 TDi with 200kms on it when the engine went kaput and was beyond repair in 2018

We looked into a new Ibiza as there was some good deals at the time. Ended up buying a new Ibiza FR 1.0 TSi in March '18. It's been a great car and has cost her nothing except two front tyres - free servicing was included. Went in to the local dealer in June to inquire about the new Leon and the Ateca FR caught both our attention really. We are expecting our first child so extra space is needed. In short we put down a deposit and are collecting it tomorrow. My wife had exceeded the mileage allowance on the PCP (was commuting 100kms a day), Ibiza has 62k on it now and wasn't due back until March next year but the numbers made sense for us now. We have both saved since COVID and she will be WFH for the foreseeable future and will be on mat leave for most of the first year of ownership so the uplift in monthly payments will be offset by fuel and toll savings.

In summary:
    Cost of Ibiza FR in 2018 - €22k
    Dealer contribution €2k
    Scrappage €2k
    Cash deposit €2k
    Amount financed €16k.
    1.9% repayments of €253 a month
    Trade in value €13.5k
    Settlement €10k - €3.5k equity carried

Ateca FR 1.5 TSi Metallic Red
    Cost including delivery and metallic €36k
    Equity €3.5k
    Cash deposit €3.5k
    0% interest
    Repayments €419.90
    GMFV €13,846

So in short we got back €13.5k on a car which cost us €18k, that's 75% and in my view is very good considering we were above the mileage allowance on the PCP but on the other hand there are very little new shape Ibiza's in FR trim so i am sure it will be an easy sale.

The GMFV is very low on the Ateca, so there should be minimum 7k equity to change up in 3 years should we take the fancy, 171 Ateca FRs are making 22k+ now.

So basically your saying that your wife has spent 5k for privledge of leasing a car for two years, and still doesnt technically own a car?

That it now won't be used for commuting to work, and your monthly repayments have almost doubled because you needed a bigger car than the Ibiza?

The logic escapes me. :)

wouldnt dare criticise your choice of car- each to their own and well done.

I’d definitely go the PCP route except for one thing- the sort of cars I like to drive cost a fortune when new so PCP is just out of the question for me. So I buy big luxury cars secondhand and yes, spend more on fuel tax, insurance and servicing. But I’m probably spending similar money annually to you as I’ve no car loan and my lump of merc only worth a few grand so no depreciation to speak of.
    We’re both happy driving what we like. The one fear I have around PCP has just been highlighted by another poster- a crash. I know chances are low, given my clean enough record over many years but still, it would worry me,

JCN12 wrote: »
    So basically your saying that your wife has spent 5k for privledge of leasing a car for two years, and still doesnt technically own a car?

That it now won't be used for commuting to work, and your monthly repayments have almost doubled because you needed a bigger car than the Ibiza?

As said above they haven't doubled, our salaries have also increased in the mean time so it's well within our means. This thread is to give people an idea of what it costs to own a car on PCP not to bash people's reasons for buying a new car. Yes we could have spent 5k on an older car and owned it outright but maybe we prefer having a new warrantied car with all the top tech and safely features, especially when a new born is on the way?

I have a Golf R myself, which i bought through a traditional bank loan and some savings, i'll own it in three more years but it costs me more to repay so i don't know if that's a better option, pay interest on a loan to own a car or pay to "lease" a car through PCP. I plan on keeping it long term so that's why i bought it through a traditional loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

- half leather seats
    - heated front seats
    - auto lights
    - auto wipers
    - leather steering wheel
    - chrome fixings
    - LED headlights
    - headlight washers
    Etc.

7k residual after 3 years...

€7k is the minimum future value at the end of the term, my guess is he will have an extra €4-5k on top of that in a trade in to use as equity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

hooch-85 wrote: »
    €7k is the minimum future value at the end of the term, my guess is he will have an extra €4-5k on top of that in a trade in to use as equity

Yeah I understand that. But setting the gmfv at that rate increases the payments attributable to capital to provide a huge safeguard to the lender.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

I've been on VW PCP's for almost 18 years now and not a problem, change the car every 3 years or so and no worries about MOT, servicing (always include the service plan) or tax for the first year (every new car in the north must be taxed before it leaves the dealership).

You just have to get your head around the fact that you will never own the car you're driving unless you pay the balloon payment at the end of you're agreement.

If you are thinking of getting a car on PCP wait until the last quarter of the year when the dealerships are struggling for sales - this is when you pick up the best offers e.g. deposit contributions, interest rates, car specs / models, service plans, etc. Doing it in the last quarter won't matter if you are planning on changing every 3 or 4 years. It's also keeping an eye out for when a new model is coming out and get the last of the old models - you'll get serious deals on great spec motors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

wouldn't agree with that statement as its pretty relative to the increase in the car.
    22K is 61% of 36K the % increase of the monthly is 65%, the 4% offset would probably be the initial deposit for the cheaper car.

650Ginge wrote: »
    7k residual after 3 years...

7k owed after 3 years ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

JCN12 wrote: »

You're in the motors forum not the investments forum, I have 3 cars & an annual combined road tax bill of just under 3 grand. You might think there's no logic but for me they're a worthwhile expense. This thread is to inform others of the real cost/experience of PCP, not to critique the choices of car.

Do you stand outside bars every night saying "you spent 100 tonight, you could have drank at home for 20, the logic escapes me"?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭JCN12

You're in the motors forum not the investments forum, I have 3 cars & an annual combined road tax bill of just under 3 grand. You might think there's no logic but for me they're a worthwhile expense. This thread is to inform others of the real cost/experience of PCP, not to critique the choices of car.

Do you stand outside bars every night saying "you spent 100 tonight, you could have drank at home for 20, the logic escapes me"?

This is getting childish. Most people don't finance their alcohol consumption over several years in a single financial product.

I didn't comment on particular choice of car. Brand preference is quite a personal decision.

I was proposing a healthy debate on the real cost implications of PCP's, and consequences of such.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

If you bought a car with a bank loan you're still paying for the privilege to use it...

650Ginge wrote: »
    Yeah I understand that. But setting the gmfv at that rate increases the payments attributable to capital to provide a huge safeguard to the lender.

Saves him from having to fork out thousands to go again on pcp and protects the dealer. Seems logical to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

Dropping 20,000 savings on a secondhand car and keeping it for 3 years, is still 555 euro per month. (20000/36 = 555)

I have a brand new 42,000 car for 3 years, for 555 euros per month. And I still have my 20,000 in the bank.
    It's my second PCP car and my only deposit was 4k on the first one.

Cars are expensive, no matter what way you finance them. Wanting to own an depreciating asset by depleting your savings is mad, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Owning a car? Very few people would buy a car without some loan product. No one I know.

And by the time you actually own it it's value is heading into the gutter.

PCP has worked well for me. Its a super easy product to manage and approve. Manageable monthlys. I am keeping both cars for longer than 3 years. Almost paid off 1 and 2 years to go on other. May get a 2nd hand superb next.

wouldnt dare criticise your choice of car- each to their own and well done.

I’d definitely go the PCP route except for one thing- the sort of cars I like to drive cost a fortune when new so PCP is just out of the question for me. So I buy big luxury cars secondhand and yes, spend more on fuel tax, insurance and servicing. But I’m probably spending similar money annually to you as I’ve no car loan and my lump of merc only worth a few grand so no depreciation to speak of.
    We’re both happy driving what we like. The one fear I have around PCP has just been highlighted by another poster- a crash. I know chances are low, given my clean enough record over many years but still, it would worry me,

We'll see how it goes and report back

Cannot see why we'll be any worse off with a write off whilst on PCP than a cash purchase.

Now if he car has serious damage and no write off then we'll be paying the lump after 3 and keeping it. But be stuck with it regardless of financing if that were the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

Hi guys a quick question.. just about to go finance on a car.. everything has been approved but their asking for PPS number. Is this standard practice now or is it dodgy? Never heard of this before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Senature

Dropping 20,000 savings on a secondhand car and keeping it for 3 years, is still 555 euro per month. (20000/36 = 555)

I have a brand new 42,000 car for 3 years, for 555 euros per month. And I still have my 20,000 in the bank.
    It's my second PCP car and my only deposit was 4k on the first one.

Cars are expensive, no matter what way you finance them. Wanting to own an depreciating asset by depleting your savings is mad, IMO.

After 3 years the second hand car can be sold on for approx 12k give or take, so it has cost 8k over 3 years, which is €222 per month. Am I missing something? Not saying this to be negative about PCP, just trying to establish how the comparison stacks up here.

• Advertisement

Hi guys a quick question.. just about to go finance on a car.. everything has been approved but their asking for PPS number. Is this standard practice now or is it dodgy? Never heard of this before

Any banking products now need s pps

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

Any banking products now need s pps

Is it to just check credit history or something? Or prove my identity

Senature wrote: »
    After 3 years the second hand car can be sold on for approx 12k give or take, so it has cost 8k over 3 years, which is €222 per month. Am I missing something? Not saying this to be negative about PCP, just trying to establish how the comparison stacks up here.

The PCP car has residual value too, in my case the GMFV is 16,000 and the actual value will be around 25,000. (9000/36 = 250)

Where are you getting 12,000 from? The car will be at least 6 years old and have 120,000+ Kms.

The PCP car has residual value too, in my case the GMFV is 16,000 and the actual value will be around 26,000.

Where are you getting 12,000 from? The car will be at least 6 years old and have 120,000+ Kms.

Well broadly speaking value would decrease by slightly less than half every 3 years. Also, on Done Deal several 2017 models that are selling for 20k (Passat, Kuga, Ateca) are selling 2014 models for 9-15k.

Well broadly speaking value would decrease by slightly less than half every 3 years. Also, on Done Deal several 2017 models that are selling for 20k (Passat, Kuga, Ateca) are selling 2014 models for 9-15k.

Ok, so accepting your figures, and my figures, how do you think the 2 scenarios compare?

Ok, so accepting your figures, and my figures, how do you think the 2 scenarios compare?

That's what I'm trying to work out.

Over a 3 year period you paid 4k deposit + 20k repayments = 24k. Car is then worth 16k minimum so you have "lost" 8k. Is that correct?

Is that a real world scenario? How is the dealer making any money?

• Advertisement

Is it to just check credit history or something? Or prove my identity

Check your credit rating under the new central credit register. It’s a lot slicker than the ICB. They need your pps to check it.

That's what I'm trying to work out.

Over a 3 year period you paid 4k deposit + 20k repayments = 24k. Car is then worth 16k minimum so you have "lost" 8k. Is that correct?

Is that a real world scenario? How is the dealer making any money?

My car will be worth around 25,000, not 16,000.

I only paid a deposit on the first car.

Car 1. Cost 36,000. Deposit 4k. Monthly 480. GMFV 14,000. Actual value 20,000.
    Car 2. Cost 42,000. No Deposit. Monthly 555. GMFV 16,000. Actual value 25,000.

The dealer is making money on the sale of the new car, sale of old car, and I would think VW bank gives the dealer a fee for signing up the buyer to finance.
    Despite the zero rate, there's long term value to VW bank.

My car will be worth around 25,000, not 16,000.

I only paid a deposit on the first car.

Car 1. Cost 36,000. Deposit 4k. Monthly 480. GMFV 14,000. Actual value 20,000.
    Car 2. Cost 42,000. No Deposit. Monthly 555. GMFV 16,000. Actual value 25,000.

The dealer is making money on the sale of the new car, sale of old car, and I would think VW bank gives the dealer a fee for signing up the buyer to finance. Despite the zero rate, there's long term value to VW bank.

Does the PCP run for three years? So you've paid €41,260, and now you need to pay €16k to keep a car worth €25k?

McGaggs wrote: »
    Does the PCP run for three years? So you've paid €41,260, and now you need to pay €16k to keep a car worth €25k?

I'll have paid 41,260 for 2 cars over 6 years. Car 1: 4,000 deposit in 2015, 480 per month for 3 years (17,280) & Car 2: 555 per month for 3 years (19,980)

I won't keep the car. I'll change it for a new one in September 2021 and keep paying my monthlies...

I won't keep the car. I'll change it for a new one in September 2021 and keep paying my monthly's...

This seems to make sense. You've decided you want to drive new cars and are comfortable with leasing. The PCP thing is working out for you in terms of the deposit

• Advertisement
Advertisement