Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How did PCP work out in the end?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

It's hardly a new thing, cars have been made within mandated parameters for many decades at this stage.

Getting more and more extreme now though to be fair

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    Getting more and more extreme now though to be fair

Well yeah, obviously that's how it's going to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

L-M wrote: »
    Yeah, apparently that famous 1.5 diesel that they all used for years was fairly poisonous.

@the above posters, my better half has a 1.0 Golf and she is averaging 45mpg, easily gets 50MPG plus on a long run. Mighty little engine.

I hadn't heard that news and its a bit of shock- I had one of those 'poisonous' engines in a Megan and it was great - 106 bhp, 6 speed to make the most of the torque so it would move okay and deliver great economy- I saw 70mpg out it fairly often.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Casati wrote: »
    I hadn't heard that news and its a bit of shock- I had one of those 'poisonous' engines in a Megan and it was great - 106 bhp, 6 speed to make the most of the torque so it would move okay and deliver great economy- I saw 70mpg out it fairly often.

Great little reliable and flexible engine. Never had one but pity to see it go. Presume it’ll remain in commercials

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

CoBo55 wrote: »
    That's what I was told when I bought the 172 petrol... It hasn't happened yet people are still buying diesels and they aren't worthless. With the paltry offer that the dealer made on mine when I bought the Superb I didn't benefit from the so called fantastic residuals on a petrol car.

Not worthless! But there will be a creep as they become less desirable. Won't happen overnight, slowly over time. Our commutes have gone from 500km each to zero and 5km respectively. That's not diesel friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Lantus wrote: »
    Not worthless! But there will be a creep as they become less desirable. Won't happen overnight, slowly over time. Our commutes have gone from 500km each to zero and 5km respectively. That's not diesel friendly.

You do know this covid situation isn't going to last forever. As it is people are starting to travel longer distances myself included. UK imports have fallen sharply since Brexit which were predominantly diesels the knock on effect is that diesels here will be wanted for trade in as particularly here in rural areas diesel is still king.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Gael23 wrote: »
    In the new Seat Leon what engine would you go for?

1.5tsi with DSG is pretty nice, I test drove that one. Definitely nice poky engine with plenty of power for daily use. There were rumours about 2.0tsi with 190hp coming to Ireland too, but I doubt it will happen.
    The only issue I have with new Leon is that all Leons have cheap rear suspension setup and you really notice it. Whole car is just too stiff for a "family car". You need to go plug in hybrid to get a proper rear suspension.
    184hp old Leon Estate was more comfortable, then new model.

I presume you test drove it already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

1.5tsi with DSG is pretty nice, I test drove that one. Definitely nice poky engine with plenty of power for daily use. There were rumours about 2.0tsi with 190hp coming to Ireland too, but I doubt it will happen.
    The only issue I have with new Leon is that all Leons have cheap rear suspension setup and you really notice it. Whole car is just too stiff for a "family car". You need to go plug in hybrid to get a proper rear suspension.

Didn't realize that strange it wasn't kept for the 1.5 looks like 148hp is the cut off now. The Mk3 facelift 1.5 DSG does have independent rear suspension. We had a 184 tdi and I test drove /had the loan of a 150 tdi a good few times. Didn't think there was to much difference in comfort it's just not as composed when pushing on through the twisty bits. The 1.5 DSG doesn't have quite the same grunt as the older 184 but the DSG does help make up for and it does handle better with nearly a 100kg less over the front wheels.

In the new Seat Leon what engine would you go for?

The phev.... Great value IMO.... 30k ish gets a low spec one.
    30+ miles electric range, DSG & 200bhp combined power.
    Great, relatively cheap car IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

You do know this covid situation isn't going to last forever. As it is people are starting to travel longer distances myself included. UK imports have fallen sharply since Brexit which were predominantly diesels the knock on effect is that diesels here will be wanted for trade in as particularly here in rural areas diesel is still king.

Have to agree. petrol /electric will suit a large percentage of the population. But for cars to cover higher mileage or haul bigger families and stuff around diesal is still the answer. Especially in rural ireland.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »

Are they that cheap? I had a gander on the site last week and I thought they were much dearer than 30k, is it just me or is that Seat site just terrible, the VW one isn't much better. In fairness to Skoda their site, for me anyway is the easiest to navigate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Sat in one not actually driven yet.
    Would a Golf be a better but with the suspension you mention?
    Not sure about going DSG, would be nervous about forgetting ho to do a manual
    Seems good but just not won over on going automatic

I miss me aul auto.

Sat in one not actually driven yet.
    Would a Golf be a better but with the suspension you mention?
    Not sure about going DSG, would be nervous about forgetting ho to do a manual

Seems good but just not won over on going automatic

I would definitely advice to drive one first. I am a big fan of Seat old generation. It was better priced, better spec and in my opinion - better looking car out of the big 3. I am used to drive cars with stiff sporty suspensions, but I could not understand New leons setup. It was FR plus spec and even in comfort mode it was just too harsh. I never understood the whole: let's put low power engines in family cars and specs, but give them sport hot hatch suspension. Other then that, it was very impressive car. Then again, it might not be an issue for you, so test driving it first should be a priority.

I never driven new golf, but if its an option, I would suggest to try test drive them both. Better suspension setup in golfs goes with 1.5tsi and up ( not sure if it has to be dsg ).

Are they that cheap? I had a gander on the site last week and I thought they were much dearer than 30k, is it just me or is that Seat site just terrible, the VW one isn't much better. In fairness to Skoda their site, for me anyway is the easiest to navigate.

Seat airside.....
    Typical Finance Example: New Leon e-HYBRID 1.4TSI 204HP DSG XC ROTRP €31,320 (inclusive of SEAI Grant). Deposit / Part Exchange €9,682.59. 36 monthly payments of €289. Optional Final Payment €13,145.10. APR 3.9%. Total Cost of Credit €2,061.69 including acceptance fee (€75) and completion fee (€75).

Grant going from 5k to 2.5k soon though iirc.

Seat airside.....
    Typical Finance Example: New Leon e-HYBRID 1.4TSI 204HP DSG XC ROTRP €31,320 (inclusive of SEAI Grant). Deposit / Part Exchange €9,682.59. 36 monthly payments of €289. Optional Final Payment €13,145.10. APR 3.9%. Total Cost of Credit €2,061.69 including acceptance fee (€75) and completion fee (€75).

I’d imagine you’d get a nice discount buying one without PCP?

I'm not at all sure about that.... The dealers margin is independent of how you pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Discount offered has no bearing on how you finance the car. In my experience.

I reckon they'll likely drop the 3.9 rate to 2.9 when the grant changes, bring the phev pcp rate in line with rest of leons ... Other seats are 0%.

• Advertisement

I would definitely advice to drive one first. I am a big fan of Seat old generation. It was better priced, better spec and in my opinion - better looking car out of the big 3. I am used to drive cars with stiff sporty suspensions, but I could not understand New leons setup. It was FR plus spec and even in comfort mode it was just too harsh. I never understood the whole: let's put low power engines in family cars and specs, but give them sport hot hatch suspension. Other then that, it was very impressive car. Then again, it might not be an issue for you, so test driving it first should be a priority.

I never driven new golf, but if its an option, I would suggest to try test drive them both. Better suspension setup in golfs goes with 1.5tsi and up ( not sure if it has to be dsg ).

Yes of course will drive one in time. SE Plus or xcellence looks to be the best spec to go for.
    Is the 1.0tsi enough or would you need the 1.5?

Yes of course will drive one in time. SE Plus or xcellence looks to be the best spec to go for.
    Is the 1.0tsi enough or would you need the 1.5?

I would be the wrong person to ask hehe. I personally don't look at cars that have less then 180-190hp.
    Saying that, I found 150hp 1.5tsi very very nice. Had plenty of poke for overtaking, did not felt sluggish around town and could pick up speed very nicely. II would be fine with that 1.5tsi, but no way I would go near 1.0 one. I test drove Citroen c5 aircross 1.2 petrol engine that would be in similar power band. Granted its different car class, but it was painful to drive. Just to get it merge on to motorway you had to make it scream. That 1.5tsi had no issues with that as it was good balance between weight and power of the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

... I am used to drive cars with stiff sporty suspensions, but I could not understand New leons setup. It was FR plus spec and even in comfort mode it was just too harsh. I never understood the whole: let's put low power engines in family cars and specs, but give them sport hot hatch suspension. .....

People confuse stiff with sporty with good handling. Whereas you really want compliant ride but that isn't vague and floaty. So manufacturers give people what the people think they want.

I think low powered cars with sports suspension is aimed at people like me. I like a good handling car, but I don't really want to go fast or have the expense of a performance model. Our 2nd car is warm hatch, lovely handling, great on a b road, but not quick. It's not harsh though either.

Flinty997 wrote: »
    People confuse stiff with sporty with good handling. Whereas you really want compliant ride but that isn't vague and floaty. So manufacturers give people what the people think they want.

I think low powered cars with sports suspension is aimed at people like me. I like a good handling car, but I don't really want to go fast or have the expense of a performance model. Our 2nd car is warm hatch, lovely handling, great on a b road, but not quick.

180hp. Your not worrying about insurance costs!

Seat airside.....

2 grand in interest is sore, still a very affordable car all the same I thought they were much more expensive. The grant is changing the 31st of July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Used imports are up 56 percent YTD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

180hp. Your not worrying about insurance costs!

I was referring to low powered cars with sports suspension. I'm obviously not referring to cars with 150bhp+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

Used imports are up 56 percent YTD

So far they are down about 35 percent against 2019 tho which might be a better comparison considering imports came to a stand still when the pandemic hit last year

Edit: When you filter the results to UK imports only they are actually down 45 percent on the 2019 figure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

User1998 wrote: »
    So far they are down about 35 percent against 2019 tho which might be a better comparison considering imports came to a stand still when the pandemic hit last year

Edit: When you filter the results to UK imports only they are actually down 45 percent on the 2019 figure

And that's with a 2021 pandemic too.

They’re still imports.

New car sales came to a stand still also this time last year and they’re “only” up 15.

If you take January to March this year versus same period last year (pre Covid) imports are still up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

They’re still imports.

New car sales came to a stand still also this time last year and they’re “only” up 15.

If you take January to March this year versus same period last year (pre Covid) imports are still up.

Ah I know they are still imports but the poster you replied to was talking about diesel cars and their future value/residuals. Jap imports are all petrol/automatics/hybrids/small engines and have no effect on the supply of used diesel cars

Claiming that imports are up 56% is just a bit misleading thats all

• Advertisement

Would the wall charger Seat are selling for the phev provide enough power for a BEV if I were to get one in the future? I'm very tempted to have a chat to the local Seat dealers, my son bought a few cars from them and I found them very decent to deal with.

Ah I know they are still imports but the poster you replied to was talking about diesel cars and their future value/residuals. Jap imports are all petrol/automatics/hybrids/small engines and have no effect on the supply of used diesel cars

Claiming that imports are up 56% is just a bit misleading thats all

True, I thought the poster was more saying that prices were increasing because of a lack of imports, which I think the previous poster was alluding to.

True, I thought the poster was more saying that prices were increasing because of a lack of imports, which I think the previous poster was alluding to.

Lack of UK imports which were a huge source of diesel cars into our economy is what I meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Would the wall charger Seat are selling for the phev provide enough power for a BEV if I were to get one in the future? I'm very tempted to have a chat to the local Seat dealers, my son bought a few cars from them and I found them very decent to deal with.

Id go with a 32 amp (7 kw) wall charger - the PHEV will do okay on it.

Yes the PHEV probably only charges at 16 amp but the car will only ever take that 16 amp - so no issue for the car.

If the Seat wall box is 16 amp then it will charge a BEV - its just slower and that becomes a problem if your BEV is say a 64 kwh.

64 kwh battery on a 3 kw (16 amp) wallbox will only do 50 percent charge in 10 hours.

With a 7 kw (32 amp) the 64 kwh battery could be charged fully - HUGE difference

Old diesel wrote: »
    Id go with a 32 amp (7 kw) wall charger - the PHEV will do okay on it.

Yes the PHEV probably only charges at 16 amp but the car will only ever take that 16 amp - so no issue for the car.

If the Seat wall box is 16 amp then it will charge a BEV - its just slower.

Just get the 32 amp from the off id say

Thanks for that.

Would it be better to change now or wait until next year when I'm nearer the end of the 3 year term? The settlement figure is a shade over €17,000. I see 191 ambition superbs on carzone with 40k km on them are commanding €29k obviously I won't get that in a trade from a dealer as they have to eat too. What should I realistically expect for a trade in offer? I was thinking of going for a Karoq sportline as they have 0% finance and it has all the features I like. What do you guys think I should do?

Would it be better to change now or wait until next year when I'm nearer the end of the 3 year term? .........

Depreciation per year over first 3 years should be less than over the first 2 I would imagine, that'd be reality in the majority of cases.

Settlement figure now is €17k?
    What's the GFMV?

Depreciation per year over first 3 years should be less than over the first 2 I would imagine, that'd be reality in the majority of cases.

Settlement figure now is €17k?
    What's the GFMV?

12,950 or something like that I'm not exactly sure but it's as close to 13k as makes no difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The used car market is going through bit of a bubble at the moment due to high demand with new cars thin on the ground and importing from the UK not as attractive. You will probably get a good trade in figure for your Superb. That might not be case next year if things change so it costs nothing to enquire and get some figures from dealers.

bazz26 wrote: »
    The used car market is going through bit of a bubble at the moment due to high demand with new cars thin on the ground and importing from the UK not as attractive. You will probably get a good trade in figure for your Superb. That might not be case next year if things change so it costs nothing to enquire and get some figures from dealers.

I couldn't believe what they were getting when I looked. What should I realistically expect to be offered 26-27? That would give me practically all the deposit needed for a sportline, maybe give 1 to 2k (according to the Skoda finance calculator). The monthly payments would be lower than what I'm paying now, gmfv would be higher at over 15k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

How does this sound,

12 months left on my current term on a golf petrol high spec, settlement value of 14,800, monthly payments of 450 ish.

VW offering me 21k trade in for an ID3 400km range, monthlys of 389, and gmfv of 17k. No additional deposit required, 0% apr

How does this sound,

12 months left on my current term on a golf petrol high spec, settlement value of 14,800, monthly payments of 450 ish.

VW offering me 21k trade in for an ID3 400km range, monthlys of 389, and gmfv of 17k. No additional deposit required, 0% apr

Not bad at all. Are you getting a home charger put in how much will that cost? Will it actually do 400km?

I couldn't believe what they were getting when I looked. What should I realistically expect to be offered 26-27? That would give me practically all the deposit needed for a sportline, maybe give 1 to 2k (according to the Skoda finance calculator). The monthly payments would be lower than what I'm paying now, gmfv would be higher at over 15k

If the main dealer are asking 29k that seems v high but getting 26k on yours is probably realistic

If I was in your shoes I’d be v tempted to change. Having said that not sure if the Sportline is worth the money over the Ambition Kodiaq

How does this sound,

Seems like strong money for the Golf, especially when an ID3 would not have much of a cash discount on a straight deal

Casati wrote: »
    If the main dealer are asking 29k that seems v high but getting 26k on yours is probably realistic

If I was in your shoes I’d be v tempted to change. Having said that not sure if the Sportline is worth the money over the Ambition Kodiaq

Never thought of looking at the ambition Kodiaq I'll give it a gander, maybe that's why they're so scarce I really like the spec of the sline but it's no harm to look is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭JoeCole26

How does this sound,

Did you reach out to the VW dealer about the options on this or was there somewhere online you were able to check? Wouldn't mind changing now again, have a year left on current PCP with VW. Would ideally like to spend as little time as possible discussing with sales person.

JoeCole26 wrote: »
    Did you reach out to the VW dealer about the options on this or was there somewhere online you were able to check? Wouldn't mind changing now again, have a year left on current PCP with VW. Would ideally like to spend as little time as possible discussing with sales person.

It's your last sentence that puts me off changing too, they never stop it's always the same aul scutter from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Well if you want to negotiate on the cost to change you have to deal with a salesperson otherwise you will just get generic conservative figures that suit them. And with PCP you need to look beyond the monthlies and know what the over all deal is costing.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Well if you want to negotiate on the cost to change you have to deal with a salesperson otherwise you will just get generic conservative figures that suit them. And with PCP you need to look beyond the monthlies and know what the over all deal is costing.

I understand what you're saying but it can be very annoying listening to the patter but unfortunately some battles just can't be avoided. I'm going to jot down some figures to bring with me so I can't be distracted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

JoeCole26 wrote: »

I called Blackwater' motors in Cork, they were very helpful, went through a few numbers with me

Advertisement