Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How did PCP work out in the end?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I don't believe 0% makes any difference to the dealer, just means the bank isn't making money off those payments. Dealer is paid the same for the car. I believe the dealer gets commission for making PCP sales but not entirely sure.

Very few models are 0%, the majority will have interest. If 1/3 of Golfs are 0% Highlines, this is likely made up by the 2/3 Comfortline/Trendline models at 3.9%. Then you've got 1.9% on the GTI and R, they're €45-45k cars so will bring in decent equity.

Then you've for 5.9% on all VW second hand cars, PCP isn't as favourable on second hand cars but still better than a bank loan.

Those Scania, Lamborghini and Bugatti don't pay for themselves either.
    You would want to do the figures on a 5.9 percent Pcp to see what the equivalent interest rate would be on a straight hp deal cause Pcp can get expensive due to paying interest on the large offset amount not being settled until end of term.
    Personally I'd take a low or zero percent Pcp everyt i me even if cash was sitting in bank.
    I would not take a 5.9 percent Pcp on a used car though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I don't believe 0% makes any difference to the dealer, just means the bank isn't making money off those payments. Dealer is paid the same for the car. I believe the dealer gets commission for making PCP sales but not entirely sure.

Very few models are 0%, the majority will have interest. If 1/3 of Golfs are 0% Highlines, this is likely made up by the 2/3 Comfortline/Trendline models at 3.9%. Then you've got 1.9% on the GTI and R, they're €45-45k cars so will bring in decent equity.

Then you've for 5.9% on all VW second hand cars, PCP isn't as favourable on second hand cars but still better than a bank loan.

Those Scania, Lamborghini and Bugatti don't pay for themselves either.

The Trendline Golf would never be sold on PCP and more than likely never a Comfortline either. I know they advertise PCP on them, but between the lower APR and higher future value, the payments on a Highline could be the same, sometimes slightly lower than a Trendline on PCP.

It’s always the Highline spec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭sk8board

L-M wrote: »
    The Trendline Golf would never be sold on PCP and more than likely never a Comfortline either. I know they advertise PCP on them, but between the lower APR and higher future value, the payments on a Highline could be the same, sometimes slightly lower than a Trendline on PCP.

It’s always the Highline spec.

Pretty much yep - we just changed on Friday out of a golf highline into a golf r-line, both on 0%.
    The higher spec cars with predefined specs and tech packs can be discounted off list, but if you spec a car yourself, each option ticked is paid in full on top of your monthly pcp , however it doesn’t get added to the GFV, so you’re just paying for that option in full over the 3 years and getting zero for it on the other end.

Ah you wouldn’t get 0 for it.

For example if you had a sunroof, you’d likely get half it or more back. Which would turn into equity at the other end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭carsfan2

For example if you had a sunroof, you’d likely get half it or more back. Which would turn into equity at the other end

Maybe on a VW. I’ve seen some figures for Bmw’s and majority of options add zero to the value. Only m sport plus pack and a couple more add any value at the back end.

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Maybe on a VW. I’ve seen some figures for Bmw’s and majority of options add zero to the value. Only m sport plus pack and a couple more add any value at the back end.

That’s because the majority of options on BMW are ridiculous and should be standard anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭TheBigEvil

bazz26 wrote: »
    BMW were mainly interested in bringing new customers to the brand by offering what appeared to be low attractive monthly PCP repayments. They then screwed over existing customers and returning customers through low ball trade-in values and little or no PCP equity. They will tell that weaker sterling and cheaper imports were responsible but these factors don't seem to influence the sticker prices of their used cars on their forecourts. They want their cake and eat it at the same time.

Yea, this exactly. Happened to me a couple of years ago. Got a new 3 series on PCP and when PCP deal was up, I went in to trade in they screwed me and only offered me the GMFV. I was with them for nearly two hours, with their head of finance, arguing that there had to be at least a few K of equity in it. Car was perfect condition, mileage was as agreed in the PCP agreement. They were having non of it. The same 2nd hand car was selling on their lot for 8k more than my GMFV. They wouldn't even give me 1k equity.

So I said screw it and I went to VW, they gave me 5k equity on the BMW, and I got a fully loaded, new, Passat on their PCP, 0% finance.

I'd never touch BMW again. They want it every way.

TheBigEvil wrote: »
    Yea, this exactly. Happened to me a couple of years ago. Got a new 3 series on PCP and when PCP deal was up, I went in to trade in they screwed me and only offered me the GMFV. I was with them for nearly two hours, with their head of finance, arguing that there had to be at least a few K of equity in it. Car was perfect condition, mileage was as agreed in the PCP agreement. They were having non of it. The same 2nd hand car was selling on their lot for 8k more than my GMFV. They wouldn't even give me 1k equity.

So I said screw it and I went to VW, they gave me 5k equity on the BMW, and I got a fully loaded, new, Passat on their PCP, 0% finance.

I'd never touch BMW again. They want it every way.

Ya they are destroying the bmw business due to being too greedy on individual deals.
    It's a very similar tale to what I'd said above re mercedes giving better trade in on 5 series than bmw.
    They are screwing people, plain and simple. Playing on some people's belief that they need to trade in to bmw.

The 2 options we priced on Thursday at vw were different alloys and the pano sunroof. It was about €75-100 extra pm for them and no change to the min value, which is pretty high. He said the generic offer on a well looked after golf was €2k above gmv irrespective of extras and we could expect to get none of the money spent on extras back

edit: important to add that this happens because all the pcp golfs are higher spec Highline and rLine’s, so the few remaining missing extras won’t make much diff to the resale value

• Advertisement

sk8board wrote: »
    The 2 options we priced on Thursday at vw were different alloys and the pano sunroof. It was about €75-100 extra pm for them and no change to the min value, which is pretty high. He said the generic offer on a well looked after golf was €2k above gmv irrespective of extras and we could expect to get none of the money spent on extras back

edit: important to add that this happens because all the pcp golfs are higher spec Highline and rLine’s, so the few remaining missing extras won’t make much diff to the resale value

Pan roof would definitely add a few bob to your equity next time around, that’s for sure. Because very few other Golfs will have one.

Not sure what you mean about 2k above GMFV. Some 171 Golfs are coming back at 10k GMFV and being allowed 17-18k on trade in.

Sounds like you’re in Dublin and be robbed if you’re being offered 14k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Pan roof would definitely add a few bob to your equity next time around, that’s for sure. Because very few other Golfs will have one.

Not sure what you mean about 2k above GMFV. Some 171 Golfs are coming back at 10k GMFV and being allowed 17-18k on trade in.

Dublin dealers give worse trade ins?

sk8board wrote: »

2k above gfmv really is a piss take as if you think about it, if you were to hand the car back and walk away, you would get 2k discount for straight buy on a new car so 2k for your trade in is effectively zero.
    If that 2k also includes any vw contributions, you would be getting less than zero equity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

mickdw wrote: »
    2k above gfmv really is a piss take as if you think about it, if you were to hand the car back and walk away, you would get 2k discount for straight buy on a new car so 2k for your trade in is effectively zero.
    If that 2k also includes any vw contributions, you would be getting less than zero equity.

I wonder was the dealer trying to discourage the OP from making a factory order rather than a car already in stock or in the country?

Actually I thought production of the Mk7.5 had finished now and the production line tooling has been switched over to the Mk8?

Very possibly. Sure they always want to pawn a car out of stock on everyone.

Very possibly. Sure they always want to pawn a car out of stock on everyone.

That’s not really true, obviously it’s easier to sell from stock but sometimes the car can’t be ordered due to stock levels or there’s ridiculous lead time’s on ordering same.

For example, to order a Polo from factory takes the bones of 30 weeks from start to finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭micks_address

I was getting similar figures from vw and Skoda dealers in Dublin bar one .headed to drogehda and got a better deal in the finish

not sure what you mean about 2k above GMFV. Some 171 Golfs are coming back at 10k GMFV and being allowed 17-18k on trade in.

The GMV on the 171 highline was €17k, and we were given €20k as a trade in. The list price was €29k initially, so @ 0% apr we paid €11.5k off €29k and then got €20k trade in.

In addition, The new golf is a run out model 1.5tsi rline, with leather and upgraded tech pack, so it’s a decent upgrade, but is reduced in price to the 1.2tsi price, plus vw contribution of €1.5k, making it around €29k also, and the gmv will be €19k.

@ 0% financing the repayments are actually slightly less (€6), and the balloon is almost €2k more (€10.3k v €12.2k).

The GMV on a Golf RL 1.5 is 12034?

Edit sorry, I think I’ve misread.

We’re right on the baloon figure (That’s the GMF, nothing else is guaranteed).

Where are you getting the 17 from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Donie75

Has anyone gone from a VW PCP to an Audi PCP? I have a 172 Highline Passat on 0% PCP. I've had a good few Passats so I'm tempted to for an A6 next time round. Are the Passat trade-ins looking okay for the 201 trade ins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Well both PCP offers would be from the same bank - VW Bank. Regarding trade-in value of your Passat, unless the Audi dealer sells VWs through a sister branch then it's likely your Passat would be sold through the trade to another dealer as an Audi dealer will not retail a non Audi car on their forecourt, so they may not offer you as much as a VW dealer would offer you against another VW. Your also jumping from a non premium brand to a premium brand so you might want to be sitting down when you get a cost to change figure from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

I inquired about a change from my 151 Golf GTD to a 172 Leon Cupra the other day. I nearly had a weakness after it. I'll be keeping my diesel for a while yet i imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

I'm 2 years into a PCP on a Tiguan Comfortline 2.0 Manual Diesel 181 - 16km on the clock, paying just under €450 a month. Trade in price offered circa €25k

For €500 deposit, VW are offering a 120 VM Tiguan, 1.5 Petrol, Automatic, Highline model, for a similar monthly amount at 0% finance. I think I'll go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    I'm 2 years into a PCP on a Tiguan Comfortline 2.0 Manual Diesel 181 - 16km on the clock, paying just under €450 a month. Trade in price offered circa €25k

For €500 deposit, VW are offering a 120 VM Tiguan, 1.5 Petrol, Automatic, Highline model, for a similar monthly amount at 0% finance. I think I'll go with it.

Petrol will be a smoother and nicer drive. Paired with a DSG and Highline spec I'd say it will be a lovely car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

hooch-85 wrote: »
    I inquired about a change from my 151 Golf GTD to a 172 Leon Cupra the other day. I nearly had a weakness after it. I'll be keeping my diesel for a while yet i imagine.

Did you went for that 172 that does not have pics up? Did you see it in flesh?
    My end of PCP is coming in 6 months and Leon Cupra is main contender, but if they will take a piss with trade in value, I will just pay off balloon and drove it for longer.

That's it, I just enquired over the phone. They don't have it in stock yet. Pm if you want more details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

My 172 Cupra will be on the market in a few months once I trade it. Should have around 25k on it by then. Keep your eyes open

€25000 plus the €1500 deposit contribution?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

hooch-85 wrote: »
    That's it, I just enquired over the phone. They don't have it in stock yet. Pm if you want more details.

They got pics up, blue estate. Looks nice.
    I still can't get my head around on how much little price dropped after 3 years. Demand I guess...

A bit mad for 27k eu, when I know my local seat dealer, where I got my baby Cupra has 192 demo for 35k eu.

I presume they really low balled you on trade in.

€25000 plus the €1500 deposit contribution?

Tiguan Highline 1.5 tsi dsg

€39,200.00

Part exchange

€25,500.00

Deposit

€500.00

Donie75 wrote: »
    Has anyone gone from a VW PCP to an Audi PCP? I have a 172 Highline Passat on 0% PCP. I've had a good few Passats so I'm tempted to for an A6 next time round. Are the Passat trade-ins looking okay for the 201 trade ins?

Big big money difference between A6 and Passat. The new A6 is beautiful though.
    You would probably be looking at near twice deposit and twice monthly

• Advertisement

€39,200.00

Part exchange

€25,500.00

Deposit

€500.00
    Must be big push on the petrol dsgs.. mine is same with tech pack.. I'm on 440 per month got 22500 trade in for my Octavia diesel dsg sportline 3 year old but had to put in 5k deposit

€39,200.00

Part exchange

€25,500.00

Deposit

€500.00

Looks like they’re giving you over 28700 almost for your own car, those are obviously discounted back figures. Looks like a good deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

A bit mad for 27k eu, when I know my local seat dealer, where I got my baby Cupra has 192 demo for 35k eu.

That's "cash price" though, it's 38k with a trade in.

Looks like they’re giving you over 28700 almost for your own car, those are obviously discounted back figures. Looks like a good deal

I hope all us petrol Tiguan owners won't be lamenting mpg next year !

I hope all us petrol Tiguan owners won't be lamenting mpg next year !

Yeah, I had a 1.5 for 6 months and back in a 2.0 TDI and I can’t say I notice much of a difference. I do a real mix of driving, rarely motorway. About 15k kms done in each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Is there any good online calculators available?

I have a fair idea what I'm after with cost/payments etc and just looking for a guide before I start going to dealers .

Cool, it’s my third car bought from this particular sales rep so hope he is looking after me.

question about automatics though, do they hold their value?

Cool, it’s my third car bought from this particular sales rep so hope he is looking after me.

More so than manuals.

There’s a bit of a supply and demand issue at the minute with used, so they’re commanding a premium and selling very well.

Everything will go auto eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I did a deal trading my 2016 Automatic 1.4 petrol A4 recently and I was pleasantly surprised at the residuals.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I had a 1.5 for 6 months and back in a 2.0 TDI and I can’t say I notice much of a difference. I do a real mix of driving, rarely motorway. About 15k kms done in each.

How did you find the petrol versus the TDI driving in general.. I'm going the other way... Imagine it will be smoother and quieter?

How did you find the petrol versus the TDI driving in general.. I'm going the other way... Imagine it will be smoother and quieter?

Ah ya there’s no comparison. Breath of fresh air to be honest, it was my first petrol in awhile.

Lovely smooth rev range, loads of power. You’ll be delighted with it in the DSG. Has to be one of the best combinations on the road at the moment.

They got pics up, blue estate. Looks nice.
    I still can't get my head around on how much little price dropped after 3 years. Demand I guess...

I presume they really low balled you on trade in.

Sorry just getting back to this, what they offered me would put me in negative equity by 2k:eek:. I know the diesels are taking a hit but i didn't think it was by that much. I know the other dealer, we bought my wife's car there and when we inquired about a Leon ST there were offered a much better trade in on the Ibiza than Pierses were willing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

€39,200.00

Part exchange

€25,500.00

Deposit

€500.00

Where was this from? I was quoted 41k for base highline, thanks

Where was this from? I was quoted 41k for base highline, thanks

His/her figures are discounted back. Usually done after the fact but some garages do it up front.

They are 41k.

His/her figures are discounted back. Usually done after the fact but some garages do it up front.

They are 41k.

What do you mean by discounted back and after the fact? Thanks

• Advertisement

It’s hard to explain, but dealers have to discount the new car and the used car when selling/invoicing them for VAT reasons.

The above figures are discounted back when the customer got the quote.

They have say 2k built in to retail price to help with trade in pricing etc so if they offer 15k against a 30k retail car, they are really offering 13k against a 28k car.
    Accounting will be done on the real figures.

thanks to you both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

This is going to be an interesting thread soon

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

This is going to be an interesting thread soon

Just thinking about this today. I was thinking of signing up. But now... so if you miss a payment is the car taken back? What about your deposit?

• Advertisement
Advertisement