Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing on house purchase - checklist of things to do?

Options
  • 13-01-2018 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭

Hi, we are due to sign contracts this week and close on the purchase of a second hand house a few weeks later. The house has been occupied by tenants for some time and they're due to leave 10 days before closing.

Things I think we should request:
    House, attic and shed/gardens to be completely cleared of all possessions and furniture.

Things I think we need to be ready to go on:
    Having locks changed
    Arranging professional cleaners
    Arrange a handyman to carry out minor repairs identified in the survey
    Arrange alarm system installation, electricity supply handover, internet installation

Are we missing anything obvious?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Get the chimney swept. Especially with tenants in it because you never know how well they cared about the chimney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Check the tank in the attic, especially if it's not covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

In general I'd probably would get an electrician and plumber to give the house a general look if that didn't happen already. With both things the devil can be in the detail and it can save you the hassle of unpleasant surprises.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'd be careful of saying everything must be cleared, you could end up with nothing to hang your curtains on, no cooker, I've even seen people take kitchens and toilets out. Rather than say everything has to go do a walk around with the owner and agree what stays. No harm if there's some bush cutters or a lawnmower left in the shed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

You should wait until the vendor has signed the contract before you bring up anything about having the lace cleared. Inspect before the closing and make sure all is in order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Thanks all for advice, the existing tenants have a huge volume of personal property and furniture in house, gardens, attic and shed and we do not want to be left with the hassle of clearing it for both time and expense, but hadn't thought about fitted appliances, curtain rails etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Due to close on this purchase next week. Having driven past the house since the tenant left there is a lot of rubbish etc in the garden including furniture. We will be requesting the vendor disposes of all of this. If we are unhappy with the state of the house when we go for final inspection should we request a second inspection before closing? Seems an obvious question but I've never bought a house before..

Advertisement