Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

hots wrote: »
    I'm not sure how much of an improvement they would be.

This is the crux of it no matter what we do. There's no clear right answer atm, only what the guys closest to it like Frank and Jody think is right.

Christensen and Tomori if at a similar level to Zouma will be picked over Zouma since they're homegrown, and that's one big reason it's hard to bring in someone who isn't a definite improvement over them

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TheBoyFromAus

As someone mentioned before, its leadership at the back more than anything. We need someone to be screaming orders as well as being able to clear those dangerous crosses etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

As someone mentioned before, its leadership at the back more than anything. We need someone to be screaming orders as well as being able to clear those dangerous crosses etc.

It's the biggest thing keeping Rudiger in the team I would say, the other three are quite lads, particularly Christensen although it looks like he's working on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Talisman

Yeah Tah and Koch you'd hear good things about for sure, but bearing in mind they're playing at a similar level to Christensen a couple of years ago I'm not sure how much of an improvement they would be.
    Of the three mentioned, Ginter is the defender Chelsea need. He organises, defends everything and is also a threat from set pieces. By the time the Euros come around he could be a first choice starter for Germany.

Tah reads the game well and is great for the last ditch tackles and blocks but he doesn't organise. He's very much focused on his own game.

Koch looks a talent, he goes about the business of defending without any difficulty and he pings the ball around like he's Virgil van Dijk.

Seeing a few links to keepers like Onana if we get rid of Kepa, going to play devil's advocate for a bit

Onana would surely cost 50m at the absolute max, but would it be worth a chance on another "prospect" in Onana, albeit probably more proven than Kepa when he was signed

Kepa could surely only fetch a price in the 30-40m range, so while it mightn't cost an awful lot more to replace him with Onana we'd lose half of what we paid, although it's easy to get caught up with that and the sunk cost fallacy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Seeing a few links to keepers like Onana if we get rid of Kepa, going to play devil's advocate for a bit

Onana would surely cost 50m at the absolute max, but would it be worth a chance on another "prospect" in Onana, albeit probably more proven than Kepa when he was signed

Kepa could surely only fetch a price in the 30-40m range, so while it mightn't cost an awful lot more to replace him with Onana we'd lose half of what we paid, although it's easy to get caught up with that and the sunk cost fallacy

Kepa will be given another chance to prove himself before the end of the season - but we can't persist with him if he's costing us points.

I do think Onana is a clear step above. And I've read something about Lamps not really taking the word of our scouts on transfer targets and preferring to sign players he's watched himself. Onana played a blinder vs us but it wasn't out of whack with how he's been this season

Lukker- wrote: »
    Kepa will be given another chance to prove himself before the end of the season - but we can't persist with him if he's costing us points.

I do think Onana is a clear step above. And I've read something about Lamps not really taking the word of our scouts on transfer targets and preferring to sign players he's watched himself. Onana played a blinder vs us but it wasn't out of whack with how he's been this season

He can still redeem himself this season obviously, pressure is on at the same time

Saw the same about Lampard, with our mostly hap hazard recruitment last 5/6 years that might be a good thing. Might limit us though because Lamps is only one man after all, I can only imagine it just means he'll take a look at players and not just take the recruitment teams recommendation for a player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Call the Pope.
    Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭weiland79

Edit: wrong thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

I don't think money is a problem this summer

• Advertisement

peteeeed wrote: »
    I don't think money is a problem this summer

With CL football probably not

But regards Kepa its more would the club give up on him and sell for half what we paid because as good as Marina is, who would pay more than 40m

Ziyech looking likely for us, Tier 1 for Ajax news according to Reddit. Be good to have a left footed attacker for the first time since Mata I think, should be able to make a difference in the games against the low blocks we've been struggling with at times.

https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/604631338/chelsea-en-ajax-akkoord-over-transfer-hakim-ziyech

Ziyech looking likely for us, Tier 1 for Ajax news according to Reddit. Be good to have a left footed attacker for the first time since Mata I think, should be able to make a difference in the games against the low blocks we've been struggling with at times.

https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/604631338/chelsea-en-ajax-akkoord-over-transfer-hakim-ziyech

He'll play either side or in behind I would imagine, and a clear upgrade on Willian assuming he leaves. Hardly our biggest position of need but he's very high quality, a rotation of him Pulisic and CHO is pretty tidy and locks us down on the wings for 4/5 years.

He'll play either side or in behind I would imagine, and a clear upgrade on Willian assuming he leaves. Hardly our biggest position of need but he's very high quality, a rotation of him Pulisic and CHO is pretty tidy and locks us down on the wings for 4/5 years.

At a min he’s Pedro’s replacement, I wouldnt be opposed to another year for Willian as backup since we have so many young attackers

Willian has had a mild redemption this season. I'd still like to see better output in terms of supply and conversion. But if Barca come knocking again with a decent offer, we'd ahve to take it.

Willian has had a mild redemption this season. I'd still like to see better output in terms of supply and conversion. But if Barca come knocking again with a decent offer, we'd ahve to take it.

Considering he’s out of contract in the summer, he either renews and stays or goes on a free to Camp Nou

At a min he’s Pedro’s replacement, I wouldnt be opposed to another year for Willian as backup since we have so many young attackers

I'm assuming he's gone for free in the summer, although could be paper talk. He's earnt an extension this year for sure, frustrating f.cker but he's been our most consistent threat all season really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Ziyech at that price is a serious signing.

• Advertisement

Interesting signing. If we are genuinely interested in Sancho, that could spell the end for both Pedro and Willian. Would leave us with Ziyech, CHO, Pulisic, Mount and Sancho to fight out those positions.

Interesting signing. If we are genuinely interested in Sancho, that could spell the end for both Pedro and Willian. Would leave us with Ziyech, CHO, Pulisic, Mount and Sancho to fight out those positions.

We’ll be like a budget City so, 2 quality options across the board

Rather than massive money on Sancho, Id prefer to go balls out for Werner who can play winger as well as be the other option up top to Tammy

What happened to all that Belotti chat? Probably a good shout seeing as his record is worse than Moratas except hes in the Serie A.

Timo Werner would be a good shout, young lad with bags of potential and will only have 2 years left on his deal.

I've been banging on about signing Werner for near two years as it turns out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Ximena Attractive Prize

ive a feeling it will be Boga at Sassullo...not sancho as we need a few players LB/CB/Striker/GK possibly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Hope so he should never have been allowed to leave

• Advertisement

ive a feeling it will be Boga at Sassullo...not sancho as we need a few players LB/CB/Striker/GK possibly

Another homegrown option isnt a bad thing, and at 15m he would appear to be a steal

City being kicked out of the CL for the next 2 years might mean 5th place qualifies for CL

Could be huge for us yet if form doesn't recover to October and November levels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Same old same old. Batshuai isnt good enough as a back up striker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Killinator

Getting robbed, Maguire should have been off and Dave was pushed into the United player first!

Oh yeah and William was fouled just outside box but given a yellow for diving

With that said Bats looked at times like he's never played professionally before!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

turned it off after that var sh*te plus yellow to zouma

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Can’t blame VAR on this , didn’t take the chances presented .

United clinical finishing , and we’ve been toothless in final third .

Very very very disappointed watching this , in no way do we look top 4 team .

Great goals Giroud and oops offside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Took chance but rules out the 1st goal?
    Player who scored for United should have been sent off. I say VAR did impact the game and some blame. Cant say it had no impact. As without Var we have had 2 goals as giroud which was offside would have stood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Player who scored for United should have been sent off. I say VAR did impact the game and some blame. Cant say it had no impact. As without Var we have had 2 goals as giroud which was offside would have stood.

We're not good enough to win but if mcguire had rightfully been sent off it would be a different game. VAR not fit in its current state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Knew 100% Chelsea would lose this, we do good against big teams, united now are a small team, hence we do **** ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

So there goes 4th place, and they didn't want to ****ing sign in January ?
    They deserve to do sh*t, such a self destructive team - rotten from the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

Oh dear

just a small hiccup lads and lassies.

Good to get all the bad luck out of the way in one game.

Lets not get all Spursy now.

Tigerbaby wrote: »
    Oh dear

just a small hiccup lads and lassies.

Good to get all the bad luck out of the way in one game.

Lets not get all Spursy now.

Christ I hope tammy is fit for saturday. As bas as hes been hes the best option we have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Had some horrid luck there with Maguire not getting sent off and Zouma’s goal. With a half decent striker on for the start we would have won that. The treatment of Giroud is a disgrace, he’s our best striker tbf. Leagues above Batshuayi anyway. Really frustrating night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

Kev

Giroud is by a country mile a better striker than Batman.

Lampard will learn.

no panics, just a bad day at the office.

But VAR needs serious discussion. Its destroying the game for ALL fans.

Pathetic efforts from our front three all night. But this ****e they call VAR is absolutely toxic. Zero consistency and unbelievably poor application. And to hear Gary Neville yammering on was the pinnacle of garbage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Tubbs4 wrote: »

I didn’t think Son’s was a red nor did I feel that one was , granted if there is to be consistency then yes he should of walked .

Without VAR Maguire 100% stays on the pitch and get his goal , with it if being consistent he walks, what I meant by you can’t blame VAR is we have to put ourself into the position for winning these games and not be dependent upon it .

Giroud goal was offside simple as that so I’ve no complaints there , I felt Azpi was pushed into kids back by Fred and fully expecting it to stand , because if Azp’s is a foul then Fred’s is Peno ???

What VAR has done for me , being an avid follower for 28 years is I longer feel the rules of the game are as I knew them before are there , it’s made it very soft in terms defending and very hard to score

Anyone think the pressure is on Frank for the Job if spurs turn them over next week ?

Badly missed Tammy tonight ball just sticks to him for hold up play .
    Pulisc to do that moment of magic is another badly missed and now CHO , Kante gone now too , I know we’re not getting the luck but some say you make your own too but we don’t seem to be able to do , always another hard luck story .

9 lost in league if spurs do us next weekend even with the transfer ban would you think if Sarri / Conte were still with us that they would be enjoying the lack of pressure Frank appears to be feeling for his job ?

TomSweeney wrote: »
    So there goes 4th place, and they didn't want to ****ing sign in January ?
    They deserve to do sh*t, such a self destructive team - rotten from the inside.

Who was there to buy ? At the rite money , when you look at what’s happened to City ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Anyone think the pressure is on Frank for the Job if spurs turn them over next week ?

It shouldn't be if it is.

I wasn't expecting us to be in with a shout at top 4 this season and despite some incredibly frustrating results, we're still in it.

He deserves a couple of transfer windows IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭iopener

another set piece goal, and the first from a cross from the left, its like a broken record now, I've no faith in a positive result now for Saturday. we're sliding ,we're so fragile at the moment. and frank should be asked some questions . i can see spurs taking 4th .we might get 6th or 7th the way things are going.

we were a paper think squad and now with the injuries , the board not getting anyone in January is going to bite us in the ass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭iopener

peteeeed wrote: »
    we were a paper think squad and now with the injuries , the board not getting anyone in January is going to bite us in the ass

100 % agree with your comment, we definitely needed improvement in several sections, whats the logic with this decision of not buying in players. did the board think we had enough to get us to 4th position ?

• Advertisement

I don't think the squad is paper thin, just thin in quality

The right targets weren't available in January, they rarely are in January

Buying players for the sake of it is how we end up with Drinkwater and the likes

It's definitely disappointing to be where we are now compared to 2 months ago, however at the start of the season everyone of us would have biten the hand of the man offering us 4th place atm and still well in control of our own faith

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement