Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TheBoyFromAus

And we might only need to get 5th....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Sure 6th was enough in 2012, could always do that again.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I know its short notice but i have an adult and juvanile ticket available for the tottenham game at the weekend. If anybody is interested I can meet you the morning of the game.

kev1.3s wrote: »
    I know its short notice but i have an adult and juvanile ticket available for the tottenham game at the weekend. If anybody is interested I can meet you the morning of the game.

Sold

• Advertisement

Lovely finish from Giroud in the end

Great start

VAR have admitted Lo Celso should have been sent off. 45 minutes later.... Between this and Maguire, its really showing what a joke VAR is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I think people just use VAR as a tool to be first port of call with a frustration at this stage.

What difference would VAR not existing had of made to these incidents? Zero!

The Maguire incident was similar to the Son one who was giving his marching orders. So in just those two alone, 50% success rate has got to be an improvement on 0%.

VAR relies absolutely on its users, who have been bang average.

It's not VAR that's the problem

It's the refs in charge of it not implementing the rules of the game, human error in other words but it's happening so much I'm starting to think they're purposely botching the VAR system and blaming VAR to have things go back the way they were

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I'm sick of VAR and want it gone.

If it is to be kept, they shouldn't have someone else making the decisions. Should be a monitor pitch side. If the ref wants to double check a decision, go over and have a look. Make your mind up and get on with the game.

Too many refs in the game afraid to overrule one another.

Go back to 1 ref 2 linesmen and cut out the BS.

• Advertisement

Panthro wrote: »
    Too many refs in the game afraid to overrule one another..

This is the crux of it really, you’ve got guys who are colleagues or maybe even friends being asked to say the on field ref made a mistake which they dont want to do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

If Oliver couldn't see it clearly, he could always go to tv on the side and seen it again properly. Not even yellow ?

Mourinho refusing to shake Frank's hand is a sign of downfall, his and spurs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Giroud should start most games, brings a lot more than just goals. Thought we deserved a 2-0 win, annoying to concede at the end but good win. The less said about VAR the better.

Johner wrote: »
    Giroud should start most games, brings a lot more than just goals. Thought we deserved a 2-0 win, annoying to concede at the end but good win. The less said about VAR the better.

Was hoping for a clean sheet myself, definitely deserved it. How can we get rid off Kepa without loosing money ?

Carpentry wrote: »
    How can we get rid off Kepa without loosing money ?

Ring Vegas and put his new transfer fee on red would be the only way

Ring Vegas and put his new transfer fee on red would be the only way

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Panthro wrote: »
    I'm sick of VAR and want it gone.

If it is to be kept, they shouldn't have someone else making the decisions. Should be a monitor pitch side. If the ref wants to double check a decision, go over and have a look. Make your mind up and get on with the game.

Too many refs in the game afraid to overrule one another.

Go back to 1 ref 2 linesmen and cut out the BS.

Or use it like rugby where the ref and the TMO review the decision together and nearly always come to the correct decision. You simply never hear of controversy in rugby regard the TMO, and that a game where 10 -20 big men can be in a very small space trying to get or stop grounding a ball over a line.
    If there is no clear view they say so i.e. the call on the pitch stands as there is nothing clear to suggest otherwise. If an error has been made by the ref then they change the call on the field - but the TMO, the ref and the touch judges all work together.
    Quite clearly refs see it as a challenge to their authority and seem to be doing their best to get it to fail.

Sad to see Hazard with yet another bad injury at RM, hope he makes a speedy recovery he is a special player for sure.

Sad to see Hazard with yet another bad injury at RM, hope he makes a speedy recovery he is a special player for sure.

Things haven't gone well for him at all yet over there

I actually hope he turns it around, Tbo did after a poor first season

Maybe we're the only ones to have got him in his prime, and all the time being the most fouled player in Europe for 5/6 seasons here has caught up with him overall

I think people just use VAR as a tool to be first port of call with a frustration at this stage.

What difference would VAR not existing had of made to these incidents? Zero!

The Maguire incident was similar to the Son one who was giving his marching orders. So in just those two alone, 50% success rate has got to be an improvement on 0%.

VAR relies absolutely on its users, who have been bang average.

This statement is in some ways false. If there were not VAR, this gets reviewed in a post match panel and Lo Celso gets a retrospective ban. I'd prefer that the ref gets it wrong and its corrected later rather than VAR mucking it up, admitting they've done so and in turn the player getting off scot free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

This statement is in some ways false. If there were not VAR, this gets reviewed in a post match panel and Lo Celso gets a retrospective ban. I'd prefer that the ref gets it wrong and its corrected later rather than VAR mucking it up, admitting they've done so and in turn the player getting off scot free.

I don't think it actually would have been picked up after without VAR either as the ref 'saw' it and made a decision on the pitch.

Yeah that's my take on it too.

Spurs were accepted an appeal for the Son red card against us despite VAR, it failed of course but still.

What I said actually didn't take retrospective bans into account but as seen as discussion shifted there I personally could care little how a player is dealt with in hindsight the fact they got away with the initial wrongdoing is them getting off scot free as far as I'm concerned. Say Le Selso gets banned and can't appear in a game against Wolves, honestly now what benefit to a Chelsea fan is this?

Small update on this :confused:

https://twitter.com/goal/status/1232330746037227520

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

I liked Gnabry better when he couldnt get a game for West Brom under Tony Pullis

Neuer with 2 bad mistakes in succession that Willian recieves possession from but gives straight back to Bayern immediately, the second instance ball is in our net in a matter of seconds.

Getting a footballing lesson tonight.

It's a long time ago when we could compete with clubs like these.

kev1.3s wrote: »
    It's a long time ago when we could compete with clubs like these.

6 years since we won a CL knockout game I heard earlier tonight

The days where we can compete aren't too far off if we keep on the right track, we're a young team and everyone except maybe Azpilicueta and Willian of our key players across the season should still be around in 5 years time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Killinator

Barkley was useless, dwelling on the ball Everytime.
    Mount looked light weight and lacking normal pace.
    Giroud useless.
    Backline consistently torn to shreds.

Not a good night by any stretch, a lesson for a lot of them what top level football looks like

Wasn't actually phased at time of draw thought we'd give them a go however as the weeks drew closer it was fairly evident if we couldn't beat crud like Man United and Newcastle...a now resurgent Bayern were a massive distance ahead.

Realistically I assumed we wouldn't be going through but shocked the tie is actually over after one leg, very disappointing.

Their goals were largely contributions from our own poor play, our front players just can't finish their dinner either.

Kovaçic is the only player who can hold his head up high tonight, well maybe with the exception of willy who made some great saves in the first half to keep this defeat a little more respectable than the arsenal and Tottenham games.

Our defence did make mistakes for sure (well Dave mainly) but the midfield and attack were no help. We were under pressure all night long the attack could not give our defence any respite at all, with non stop defending things crack not excusing them but they just had too much to do.

We are a long way behind the curve and that is all the boards fault not managers past and present just the board they are simply not fit for purpose. Two good windows and we are back in the fray but will we get them ??????

Tough day in the office no doubt. Lewandowski was given far too many opportunities to split Chris/Rudi. An absolute gulf in class between the two teams. Incredibly frustrating to see us put the ball in dangerous areas so many times once again and not convert.

Mount wasn't up to scratch, but at the same time he was up against Alphonso Davies on several occasions. My god has that lad got some burners on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Couldn't give a sh1t to be honest, competition won't even be finished.

• Advertisement

Tough day in the office no doubt. Lewandowski was given far too many opportunities to split Chris/Rudi. An absolute gulf in class between the two teams. Incredibly frustrating to see us put the ball in dangerous areas so many times once again and not convert.

Mount wasn't up to scratch, but at the same time he was up against Alphonso Davies on several occasions. My god has that lad got some burners on him.

Yeah their entire team are mobile enough, and especially at the back. When we were trying to beat them on the break with Giroud, Barkley & Mount (with Mount matched up with their quickest) we were on a hiding to nothing really.

Completely outclassed but that's fair enough, we're not at top-8 in Europe level yet for sure. A fully fit XI and we're a bit closer but we need time to develop and 2/3 strong starting signings.

I actually think if Kante was playing the first 2 goals at a min might not have gone in, sniffing out the little bits of interlinking play is what he does

It was a pity both Pulisic and Odoi were injured, a bit more pace up front could have threatened in behind or pushed their defense back and they wouldn't be able to dominate as easy

At least we can concentrate on the league now .............

And giving Liverpools U21's a run for their money in the FA Cup

I actually think if Kante was playing the first 2 goals at a min might not have gone in, sniffing out the little bits of interlinking play is what he does

It was a pity both Pulisic and Odoi were injured, a bit more pace up front could have threatened in behind or pushed their defense back and they wouldn't be able to dominate as easy

It's the sort of game where someone of Kante's calibre is needed but I still think we've looked better without him in the side more often than not. Saying that, it's probably because we've looked worst when trying to break down teams sitting deep. It's the games where we're on the back foot where we'd benefit from him most.

only if they're going to play U21, too much pride in that clash I'd think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Carpentry wrote: »
    only if they're going to play U21, too much pride in that clash I'd think.

No chance - they'll be up for it. Doing the double will be a nice target for them after waiting so long for a league title.

Our kids are better than their kids

RLC played the full 90 mins for the devolpment squad tonight, looked good

Great to see Billy Gilmour get a start

Its nice to see Anjorin on the bench, but i dont see how he’ll come on, id have loved him over Pedro or Barkley

A frontline of Pedro, Giroud and Willian is what i feared we’d get for the season, great so many other players came through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Here we go.
    Let's pray its not a hockeyin'

Kovacic off, bad end to the half

Mount on, would actually have liked to see him get a rest because he hasn't shown much form since October tbh

Gilmour has been brilliant so far.

Johner wrote: »
    Gilmour has been brilliant so far.

Proper brilliant, not just brilliant for a young guy

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement