Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Lukker- wrote: »
    Yeah, slim chance of a 352 really, needs a striker to hold the ball up and play off or you are doomed.

Barkley could feature in a 352 but it's unlikely.

He's a better chance off the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Well that was a horror show, I know we didn't play well but how on earth could the ref not give the penalty on Willian and then to send morata off.
    As for the VAR I'm just speechless.

210mins to beat Norwich.

I can't wait until we play Barca. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

GavRedKing wrote: »
    210mins to beat Norwich.

I can't wait until we play Barca. :pac:

I was confident when the draw was made , not so much now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

The problem with VAR is that another match official ain't gonna overrule a ref on anything but the most clear cut of chances. It's practically useless until referees can grow a backbone. Like the whole thing of not being able take action on a decision if the ref is adjudged to have seen it. Pointless.

Have ye seen this (I know its the pool) , local lad , can't get the song out of my head :D

Barr wrote: »
    I was confident when the draw was made , not so much now :(

They did lose to Espanyol 1-0 last night in the Cope Del Ray but theyve a 2nd leg to rescue it.

I fear we'll do similar, have a good 1st leg, maybe a draw and be battered in Spain. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

I wouldn't be surprised if that ends in a draw as well :mad:

I'd prefer we get knocked out if we play like that again. Felt sorry for Norwich, despite the ref turning out for them :)

Lots of players in the squad right now are just not up to Top 4 standard.
    Drinkwater looked very leggy to me and Bats is surely gone after that stinker.
    Zappacosta not good enough either.

Depressing really when you look at what the Two Manchester clubs and Liverpool are doing at the moment.

No leaders either - We've turned into Arsenal.

The problem with VAR is that another match official ain't gonna overrule a ref on anything but the most clear cut of chances. It's practically useless until referees can grow a backbone. Like the whole thing of not being able take action on a decision if the ref is adjudged to have seen it. Pointless.

Ya, its a pointless exercise if a ref makes a decision than decides to go to VAR.

He booked willian for diving then went to VAR, it was apenalty, gave a free out, card stands.

He booked Morata for diving, then sent him off, rightly, then went to the VAR, IMO, it was a penalty, Morata has never been so passionate about a foul in the past, he was bundled over IMO but again, he decided his original call stood.

Last night was all about the ref.

He was far too quick to act on

bullpost wrote: »
    I'd prefer we get knocked out if we play like that again. Felt sorry for Norwich, despite the ref turning out for them :)

Depressing really when you look at what the Two Manchester clubs and Liverpool are doing at the moment.

Give us some credit, we actually win the big trophies. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

bullpost wrote: »

I don't think it's quite that bad, Zappa & Drinkwater are both grand squad players imo. Leadership is tough to find, Luiz has it but isn't good enough for first XI, Dave leads by example but it's not his personality. I was impressed by Ampadu having a go at Luiz a couple of times last night which is good to see.

We're in a slump as a team having been spoilt for a while, gone from the first team overperforming compared to individual talent to now underperforming very quickly, Conte needs to get the best out of them again.

We're very solid at the back & GK, almost too much so at CB. Hazard is Hazard. Kante is Kante. Leaving both wing backs, Morata and 2 mids that are causing the issues imo.

Pedro and Morata being out for Saturday, we'll probably see Musonda get a go in the league at some stage.

I reckon we'll go 3-4-3 anyway, I cant see Michy being up top in a 3-5-2 with Willian behind him, that would be the most brain dead Chelsea front two in some time.

Tbo
    Azp Christensen Rudiger
    Moses Kante Drinkwater Alonso
    Willian Michy Hazard

Big Willy
    Ampadu Zappa
    Barkley Bakayoko
    Musonda Hudson Odoi

Thats going on the assumption that Cahill and Cesc wont be back from injury yet.

hots wrote: »
    I don't think it's quite that bad, Zappa & Drinkwater are both grand squad players imo. Leadership is tough to find, Luiz has it but isn't good enough for first XI, Dave leads by example but it's not his personality. I was impressed by Ampadu having a go at Luiz a couple of times last night which is good to see.

We're in a slump as a team having been spoilt for a while, gone from the first team overperforming compared to individual talent to now underperforming very quickly, Conte needs to get the best out of them again.

We're very solid at the back & GK, almost too much so at CB. Hazard is Hazard. Kante is Kante. Leaving both wing backs, Morata and 2 mids that are causing the issues imo.

Its January. Work is sh*t , the team is sh*t. You know how it goes I'm sure :pac:

Lots of noise we are interested in two LB's. Telles from Porto, and Emerson at Roma. Telles is probably the safer bet right now, as Emerson is just back after ACL surgery. Club want to take Emerson on loan first, Roma want about £25m. Apparently Emerson is a very highly rated attacking LB, who is well suited to playing wing back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Ximena Attractive Prize

Lots of noise we are interested in two LB's. Telles from Porto, and Emerson at Roma. Telles is probably the safer bet right now, as Emerson is just back after ACL surgery. Club want to take Emerson on loan first, Roma want about £25m. Apparently Emerson is a very highly rated attacking LB, who is well suited to playing wing back.

Theyre trying to get Emmerson on loan with a view to buy if successful, and apparently there talking about Dzeko, who would be a vast improvement over carroll

Theyre trying to get Emmerson on loan with a view to buy if successful, and apparently there talking about Dzeko, who would be a vast improvement over carroll

I'd love Dzeko but I don't think he'd leave Roma and not get CL football.

Looks like the Carrol transfer is off due to an ankle injury, meaning he's out for 4-6 weeks. Apparently we are still looking at Llorente...

I'd be delighted if we dont go after Andy Carroll.

Mainly because you'd have to listen to it from every fan on the bloody planet. :o

Ya, I think the main thing is he could operate more in a 4 man defence its apparently something Conte wants to try.

A 4 man back line doesnt really suit Alonso and I wouldnt trust Moses as an out and out RB either.

• Advertisement

Ya, I think the main thing is he could operate more in a 4 man defence its apparently something Conte wants to try.

A 4 man back line doesnt really suit Alonso and I wouldnt trust Moses as an out and out RB either.

Exactly, a LB is the missing piece for 4 ATB. Azpi can move to right back and prob Christensen and Gaz/Ruiger in the middle.

Azpi at rb actually excites me with his new found crossing ability.

Exactly, a LB is the missing piece for 4 ATB. Azpi can move to right back and prob Christensen and Gaz/Ruiger in the middle.

Azp crossing to Andy Carroll is a match made in heaven.

:pac:

<runs>

I don't think Conte has much appetite for the back 4 though does he? Always tried to shape the team towards the 3/5

I don't think Conte has much appetite for the back 4 though does he? Always tried to shape the team towards the 3/5

Try something different again?

The more flexibility we have the better, City are playing a 4-5-1 but when they have the ball its more of a 2-5-3, from what I've seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

They did lose to Espanyol 1-0 last night in the Cope Del Ray but theyve a 2nd leg to rescue it.

I fear we'll do similar, have a good 1st leg, maybe a draw and be battered in Spain. :o

Paulinho went off injured. After that you knew they were going to lose. :)

Conte actually likes flexibility. His Juve team could switch formations 3 times during a game from a 3-5-2 to 424 to 433.

His Italy side almost exclusively 433 and 424 afaik

One thing too is, he usually likes operating with many striking options, something which hamstrings him a bit here. At Juve he had like 6 strikers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭weiland79

weiland79 wrote: »

Surely Andy Carroll and Crouchy are spoof stories. Someone is winding up the press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Ximena Attractive Prize

please just give us a transfer ban instead of Crouch/Carroll

Haven't they won that the last 3 years in a row. They own it at this stage.

In the CL, I prefer the second leg away. Think we have a better chance with away goals.

• Advertisement

please just give us a transfer ban instead of Crouch/Carroll

If either of them signed we'd be a laughing stock.

I'm just waiting to be linked with Fellaini next :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

If either of them signed we'd be a laughing stock.

I'm just waiting to be linked with Fellaini next :eek:

I'd have fellaini before either of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Surely Andy Carroll and Crouchy are spoof stories. Someone is winding up the press.

You would think so Crouch beyond funny

I think the Crouch link is BS personally.

Anyways, in more uplifting news

Di Marzio reporting we've offered €50m+ Michy on loan for Roma. Roma want €65m

http://gianlucadimarzio.com/it/calciomercato-chelsea-non-solo-palmieri-nel-mirino-anche-dzeko

I think the Crouch link is BS personally.

Anyways, in more uplifting news

Di Marzio reporting we've offered €50m+ Michy on loan for Roma. Roma want €65m

http://gianlucadimarzio.com/it/calciomercato-chelsea-non-solo-palmieri-nel-mirino-anche-dzeko

Cha -ching , City flogged him for £14m, bargain at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

If Giroud is the answer, then what in hell is the question

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/11212890/giroud-the-answer-for-chelsea

If Giroud is the answer, then what in hell is the question

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/11212890/giroud-the-answer-for-chelsea

I wouldnt argue with it. I like him. Wont happen though.

I'd take Dzeko or Giroud in a heartbeat TBH.

Giroud has a good record for Arsenal and usually gets a goal off the bench.

Giroud is a tidy footballer for sure, and he'd slot in well.

The main thing is though to get a CF thats 30 or so, is willing to be rotated.

We need to promote Tammy next year I think and give him a crack at it playing with better players than at Swansea.

• Advertisement

Jesus this is a sorry state of affairs, Giroud is a sexy donkey and nothing else. I'd rather let Michy run down his transfer value tbh.

So it turns out they did make a balls up of the VAR the other night.

They dont have access to slow motion replays that the TV channels show.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5286223/Video-referee-not-shown-vital-Chelsea-replay.html

This is brilliant. :pac:

Had to access to those replays they would have seen the kick on Willian and that Morata was hauled down.

Jesus this is a sorry state of affairs, Giroud is a sexy donkey and nothing else. I'd rather let Michy run down his transfer value tbh.

Giroud isnt cup tied in the CL, could be a more viable option than Dzeko but it depends on who would be cheaper really.

Both their records in England are pretty good.

The main thing is though to get a CF thats 30 or so, is willing to be rotated.

We need to promote Tammy next year I think and give him a crack at it playing with better players than at Swansea.

If Conte is retained I think he'd make a good partner for Morata. I don't think Tammy really has the physical build/hold up play to play lone striker, but he'd be excellent as a poacher playing off a player like Morata, or Crouchy :P

Hazard, assuming he's here would have to drop into an advanced playmaker role in MF though, and I dunno if that happens, but he could be a rotation option up front.

If Conte is retained I think he'd make a good partner for Morata. I don't think Tammy really has the physical build/hold up play to play lone striker, but he'd be excellent as a poacher playing off a player like Morata, or Crouchy :P

Hazard, assuming he's here would have to drop into an advanced playmaker role in MF though, and I dunno if that happens, but he could be a rotation option up front.

If we're bringing in players like Crouch, Hazard will take a wage cut to join Madrid. :o

Apparently Conte's Mr 10% hinting he is on hiw way to PSG in the summer.

http://www.chelsea-news.co/2018/01/agent-antonio-conte-confirms-chelsea-manager-heading-top-european-club/

Apparently Conte's Mr 10% hinting he is on hiw way to PSG in the summer.

http://www.chelsea-news.co/2018/01/agent-antonio-conte-confirms-chelsea-manager-heading-top-european-club/

I wouldnt blame him either TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

brigton press conf
    on transfers (Dzeko): "As you know very well, it is not right to talk about the players of the other teams. I am not interested in the news. There's a transfer market in this period and if something happens, you will be the first to know"

on Crouch rumours: "My answer is the same. I am not interested in this conversation."

on needing a big striker: "In this moment, I can talk about my players, Morata and Batshuayi, these characteristics. I think it is not right to talk about the characteristics of other players. I am happy to work with my players.

on batting away transfer news on strikers: "Every striker has their own characteristic. Morata has a specific characteristic. Batshuayi has another characteristic"

on who has the final say on transfers at #CFC: "I was very clear in the past to tell you the club sometimes ask my opinion about our transfer market. Our situation and the way we can improve. At the same time, the final decision is for the club"

"The club has to spend money and it is right that they spend money in the way that they prefer."

e on who is the 'specific' person who decides on transfers at Chelsea: "It is not right to talk about a specific person, it is right to talk about the club in general."

on Barkley: "I think Ross is in good physical condition. Yesterday he played 70 mins in a friendly game. Tomorrow he is in the squad. He is coming with us to Brighton.

on Barkley debut vs Brighton: "I don't know if I give him a chance to play or wait, if the game doesn't ask for this type of situation." (Disclaimer: He might make the bench but won't start)

on Morata form dropping: "Why? It is difficult to find a response for this question, we created many chances to score. We must be honest to tell that maybe our finishing could be better in quality. The quality could be better

reiterates that VAR is a good system but that it hasn't been used correctly in England so far

on poor form: "We want to try to get three points in every game, in the last period. I think that we drew many times.I think there's a good aspect cause we are unbeaten for many games. Maybe 13/14 but for sure we try to get 3 points in every game but you have to score"

on trust in transfer business at CFC: "Confident is a big word, we have to wait. I gave my opinion to my club but the final decision is for the club. I have to wait and see what happens during this transfer market. I am very calm under this aspect."

"I must be honest, I watched the three situations against Norwich. I think Willian's situation was very, it was a big mistake. Morata, I think there is a fall, you can decide to concede or not a penalty. There is contact and not a dive. Pedro dived"

on injuries: "They are out [Cahill and Cesc] and I have to check a couple of situations for tomorrow's game."

on beating Brighton 2-0 only in late December: "Brighton played a great game against us, especially in the first half. They are a good team with a really good coach. I had the opportunity to know this coach, I think he's a really good coach

on Morata and Pedro suspension: "For sure, this is another problem. This problem in this moment is a big problem. Also because Morata didn't play against Norwich, or he played only 30 minutes. He was resting for this game against Brighton"

on motivation: "I think we have a great motivation, a fantastic motivation, to try and finish this league in the final four. It won't be easy, not only for us but also for the other teams. It will be a big fight, a big way, with five (six) teams for only four places"

Conte didn't pull many punches re Pedro in fairness to him.

• Advertisement

I wonder did he keep a straight face when asked about Crouch rumours.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement