Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

I think Conte has even less confidence in young players than Jose - is it a Chelsea pressure thing as Charly, Kenedy and Michy need a bit of confidence that only comes with a few games. Yet no matter how bad or tired the senior players are they still start Morata will almost certainly play against Arsenal even though Michy was excellent yesterday. His movement and touch was first class but then he most likely knew he would not be subbed off as morata was not there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I think Conte has even less confidence in young players than Jose - is it a Chelsea pressure thing as Charly, Kenedy and Michy need a bit of confidence that only comes with a few games. Yet no matter how bad or tired the senior players are they still start Morata will almost certainly play against Arsenal even though Michy was excellent yesterday. His movement and touch was first class but then he most likely knew he would not be subbed off as morata was not there.

I don't know if he has less confidence in them that Jose. He's properly promoted Christiansen and ampadu seems to be getting reasonable time, I'd like to see mousonda and kenedy get more game time but I don't think Jose would have done as much to bring youth through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Mourinho brought through two top players at the moment. Debrune and salah. Also sturridge when he was playing well and lukaku.
    Mourinho will always try to buy success. While it can work other teams have the same spending power so he won't get too far.
    Man city are a better choice for big players as they play attacking football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Sky say we are also in for Ashley Barnes , 3 goals in 24 games ? I hope not

Spurs dropping points today. Good weekend for chelsea in awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Johann.

Tubbs4 wrote: »

About time. Was sat in a bar in Times Square catching the goals yesterday afternoon, Hazard looked serious.

Carry that form into this weeks cup games & hopefully continue to give game time to those in need.

Hope the front 3 start against arsenal. Kennedy and luiz with some game time and a win.
    Also please no 5th tier striker in the January window as will just be for half a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Tubbs4 wrote: »

Our best hope now is to finish top 4.

If we can put a gap between ourselves Arsenal and Spurs, we're sorted.

• Advertisement

I reckon Michy will start against Arsenal and maybe Newcastle in the cup this weekend.

Lose them games, no big deal, its the PL we've to concentrate on now and open up a gap beyween ourselves and Spurs and Arsenal in 5th and 6th.

Not to mention the small matter of Barca in the CL in 4 weeks time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

Am I right in thinking that the plan to bring in a big striker is essentially to pair him with Morata and provide some muscle to compliment the guile?

Talk of the lesser spotted Baba II going to Everton on loan that could well be an excellent loan for him, us and Everton. With Kenedy expected to join Newcastle could be good for his development as well as he wont see much of any game time with us in the short term.

bullpost wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that the plan to bring in a big striker is essentially to pair him with Morata and provide some muscle to compliment the guile?

Or be big and strong to pick him up when he falls over ......... again.

I cant see it TBH, it owuld mean Hazard is either dropped or shunted further back the pitch.

Hazard came out last night and said we dont need a new CF, especially not a big tall one because the ball shoudl be on the floor and that the 2 CFs we have and himself included, can all do a job.

Said hes happy at the club and has told off his father for linking him with Madrid but will see what the future holds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

I think it's a purely Plan B signing, Bats is a big lag but he doesn't know how to use it very well. Conte seems to want good football for the most part but with a nice hoofball option if needs be.

Worrying news from Spain, Bilao have signed up there highly rated GK, Kepa, to a new loing term deal.

Real Madrid were meant to be signing him in the summer so I expect the Courtois/De gea rumours to go into overdrive in the summer.

If Utd and Chelsea can tie both down to new deals, I'm not sure where that leaves Madrid but f**k um.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Worrying news from Spain, Bilao have signed up there highly rated GK, Kepa, to a new loing term deal.

Real Madrid were meant to be signing him in the summer so I expect the Courtois/De gea rumours to go into overdrive in the summer.

If Utd and Chelsea can tie both down to new deals, I'm not sure where that leaves Madrid but f**k um.

Oblak for big money? Donnarumma is another interesting one, only 18 but getting a full season under his belt in serie a this year, although struggling a bit I think.

hots wrote: »
    Oblak for big money? Donnarumma is another interesting one, only 18 but getting a full season under his belt in serie a this year, although struggling a bit I think.

I'd like to sign Donnarumma but the biggest issue there is his agent, Raiola.

Milan have a seriously impressive squad, on paper, who have went through 2 managers already?

The club is rotten really, which is sad considering how big Milan used to be.

I wonder what sort of team will start on Wednesday?

Big Willy should be playing, if Courtois is still injured or a doubt, wrap him up in cotton wool, same goes for Cesc.

I'd go with

Big Willy
    Azp Christensen Rudiger
    Moses Bakayoko Kante Alonso
    Willian Morata Hazard

I'd rotate even more then for the Newcastle game, give Ampadu, Luiz, Zappa, Kenedy, Cesc, Barkley, Michy all games from the start.

• Advertisement

I would wrap Christensen up a bit as well just in case of some concussion give Ampadu a run even though he will more than likely start Luiz, would start the same front 3 dropping Michy after such a good game just sends out all the wrong signals. Morata has been simply woeful in recent matches and the lack of discipline against Norwich was unsightly, Michy gets dropped when playing badly he should be trusted to see was this a flash in the pan or is this the formation he needs to play well in?

I would wrap Christensen up a bit as well just in case of some concussion give Ampadu a run even though he will more than likely start Luiz, would start the same front 3 dropping Michy after such a good game just sends out all the wrong signals. Morata has been simply woeful in recent matches and the lack of discipline against Norwich was unsightly, Michy gets dropped when playing badly he should be trusted to see was this a flash in the pan or is this the formation he needs to play well in?

Agreed, have to give them a chance to go out and show it wasn't a fluke imo.

I reckon if Michy started reguarly he wouldnt do too badly but hes not going to be at a level to lead the line for us anytime soon, if at all.

We've two "throw away" games coming up. If we lose to Arsenal and Newcastle I wouldnt be too bothered so I'd play Morata Wednesday and Michy on Saturday.

I reckon if Michy started reguarly he wouldnt do too badly but hes not going to be at a level to lead the line for us anytime soon, if at all.

We've two "throw away" games coming up. If we lose to Arsenal and Newcastle I wouldnt be too bothered so I'd play Morata Wednesday and Michy on Saturday.

He could very well be another Lukaku-type, go away, be the big man for a couple of years and actually learn how to lead the line in a tough league and come back a world beater. It's just very hard to develop that with limited minutes.

hots wrote: »
    He could very well be another Lukaku-type, go away, be the big man for a couple of years and actually learn how to lead the line in a tough league and come back a world beater. It's just very hard to develop that with limited minutes.

Start him for both cup games. Morata can come off the bench if needed. He was very good at the weekend so give him the chance to build confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Not worrying at all. The club wants to bump up his release clause before he leaves in the summer. Unlike England, Spain requires a release clause. Where a release clause is satisfied it's up to player to leave or not. The club has no say.

This probably means Madrid will sign him in the summer.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Not worrying at all. The club wants to bump up his release clause before he leaves in the summer. Unlike England, Spain requires a release clause. Where a release clause is satisfied it's up to player to leave or not. The club has no say.

This probably means Madrid will sign him in the summer.

Theyve not had great luck with Basque players over the last few years though. :o

I know about the buy out clauses in Spain alright, its led to some laughable figures throughout the years. Any idea what his new release clause is?

Chelsea have offered to buy extra land (circa 2 acres) from the Veterans home, Stoll, behind the current west stand, marked on the map.

Capture.JPG.c214fee2652a8fcb96afea37d2f8c449.JPG

https://www.stoll.org.uk/news-post/proposal-provide-new-homes-support-services-homeless-vulnerable-veterans-across-country/

Theyre open to the idea apparently as most of those homes on site are 100 years old so are in need of a major update.

Chelsea would also offer continued support to the Veterans.

I cant imagine that extra space will go towards an increased capacity as the plans are good to go for 60k but the space will offer a bigger outside space for the stadiums footprint and a bigger concourse area for the 15k+ fans on match days.

Courtois is meant to be back for the Arsenal game.

Big Willy has been good but if Courtois is fit, given its a second leg semi final away top Arsenal, Courtois will probably start with Willy starting at the weekend against Newcastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Looks like klopp will have to wait at least another 5 games for his 5 in a row.

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Looks like klopp will have to wait at least another 5 games for his 5 in a row.

No another 4 defeats and he has 5 in a row

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Gotta love the Pool :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Good weekend with Spurs and Liverpool dropping points. With United signing Sanchez I think that will get them second. We should have enough for a comfortable third place finish though hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Not a lot out there for sale really and Dzeko is not really quality steady but not quality.

super frank will be at stamford bridge tonight if the newspaper stories are true , our checkertrade opponents oxford are in talks with him to be their new manager

Ah Its Chelsea. Will Conte be around much longer? Will Harard/Courtois sign extensions, board interference.........................

I think if/when Hazard signs a new contract that will send a massive signal about the intentions of the club going forward. I'd imagine he'll want some cast iron guarantees about the ambitions and plans before signing on the dotted line. Not like he doesnt have options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Seems strange that we are not interested in aubameyang. Proven quality striker. He has a bit of a reputation, but would be worth a punt for 50-60 mil.?

• Advertisement

Seems strange that we are not interested in aubameyang. Proven quality striker. He has a bit of a reputation, but would be worth a punt for 50-60 mil.?

Hes simply not worth it.

Given his age and price, theres no way the board would have went after him.

Thats before you get into the rather large entourage he has to provide for, about 30 family members and the fact hes a head the ball with some discipline issues.

Would have all went sour very quickly.

Kenedy is in Newcastle to finalise a loan move.

Dzeko has been seen packing suitcases in Rome too.

So with Kenedy out, Emerson is 100% going to be coming and it looks very likely Dzeko will be brought in too.

Decent business, we've been crying out for competition for Alonso for some time.

Johner wrote: »
    Good weekend with Spurs and Liverpool dropping points. With United signing Sanchez I think that will get them second. We should have enough for a comfortable third place finish though hopefully.

Ya, it looks like Sanchez will fire Utd a few goals and wins against more stubborn sides.

2nd, 3rd and 4th are all the same anyway, theres no more CL qualifiers for finishing 4th so you go straight into the hat anyway.

Its only for dick measuring if you finish higher than anyone else because City have been far too good for the rest of the league.

Kenedy is in Newcastle to finalise a loan move.

Dzeko has been seen packing suitcases in Rome too.

So with Kenedy out, Emerson is 100% going to be coming and it looks very likely Dzeko will be brought in too.

Decent business, we've been crying out for competition for Alonso for some time.

It's good squad improvement, and for Jan transfers you can't complain at all. But we're a long way off competing with the manchesters' spending and squad depth imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

Ya, it looks like Sanchez will fire Utd a few goals and wins against more stubborn sides.

2nd, 3rd and 4th are all the same anyway, theres no more CL qualifiers for finishing 4th so you go straight into the hat anyway.

Its only for dick measuring if you finish higher than anyone else because City have been far too good for the rest of the league.

While I get your main point, surely it's important for progress and a potential tilt for the main prizes for the next season the higher you finish in the table? Being a clear second, and getting as close to City as possible, as opposed to say scraping fourth is much more preferable imo even allowing for it not counting for trophies this season.

BenK wrote: »
    While I get your main point, surely it's important for progress and a potential tilt for the main prizes for the next season the higher you finish in the table? Being a clear second, and getting as close to City as possible, as opposed to say scraping fourth is much more preferable imo even allowing for it not counting for trophies this season.

Anything other than first for Chelsea is a downgrade, in such circumstances, 2nd, 3rd or 4th holds the same merit for me anyway, as long as we finish top 4, its a decent season.

A trophy would be nice but unlikely.

Finishing outside top 4 is a disaster of a season.

• Advertisement

Banker to do himself an injury :o

arsenal press conf
    "Morata and Fabregas are out. Not available for the Arsenal game, then I have to check a couple of situations.
    on Morata injury: "He has a problem in his back and he is injured"

on Cahill, Drinkwater, Courtois: "I have to check a couple of situation, before I make the best decision for tomorrow's game."

Christensen is fit

on Arsenal: "There is a target for both teams, to reach the final of this competition. I think this is a good target for us, it is a good target for Arsenal. After a 0-0, for sure the game will be very open.

on the Sanchez-Mhkitaryan swap and neither playing: "Arsenal has a good squad, if you remember in the game at home in the league, Sanchez didn't play. It was the same in the Carabao Cup, he played for only 10 mins

on reaching final: "This is an important target. Especially for me, in my first year and a half, I have the opportunity to win the league, play in the FA Cup final, community shield and (maybe) another final."

on Kenedy loan to Newcastle: "Yes, I think he is going on loan to Newcastle."

"For sure, we are talking about a young player with great potential. At this point in his career he needs to play with great regularity. To go to Newcastle is a great challenge for him. I think this way is a good way for the club"

Kenedy can use the loan to follow the same path as Christensen to get into the Chelsea team by being successful at Newcastle.

"He struggled a lot to play at Watford and played only 24 minutes but now he is ready. He has played more games with us.

on transfers: "As you know very well, after this question about Kenedy. I said then if the club decides to loan one play they decide to buy another player or we decide to work with a young player like Dujon Sterling, I am ready for both cases."

on transfers: "I don't know, as you know, if there's news... the club will inform you"

on Man City in the final or Bristol: "In this competition Man City struggled a lot to get to the next round in the FA Cup, it was the same as us against Norwich in the FA Cup." Adds every team in England has upset potential like Bristol

on Arsenal stregnths: "When you play against Arsenal, you must be prepared to suffer without the ball because they like to be offensive and bring many players in the box to find combinations between strikers-midfielders-wingers. We must pay attention and be compact"

on replacing Morata-Cesc with the Brighton front three: "I don't know, I have another night to decide the starting 11. Every game is different and the quality of your opponent changes. You have to decide whether it is right to stick with these players or make changes

on Pirlo wanting a revolution in Italian football after missing WC2018: "I love this player, now he's a former player, unfortunately. What happened in Italy was a disaster, for sure we have to change something."

I dont think a loss tomorrow night for Arsenal or Chelsea is a disaster given who we'd play in the final.

The front 3 should stay the same, after that, its hard to guess who he'll pick.

Calling it now, Bristol will beat City and we'll lose to Arsenal. :o

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement