Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad time to buy GPU?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Price are really not great, not so long ago you could get 1070's for £349 and 1080's for £429! But that's a very OK price for a decent 1070Ti in fairness.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Agreed. That's an insane amount of money for a card. I think the 1080 is available for only £80 or so more.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

We need some boffin to come along and make an FPGA that matches ASIC performance but for multiple algorithms. Finally kill GPU mining and give gamers a hope once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

With the boom in Cryptocurrencies lately, its likely to be a bad time to buy for a good while yet.

You can wait, by which time you'll be needing a new motherboard, CPU etc, you'll be so long waiting.

Best just bite the bullet really.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Or buy used.

GTX 970 & 980/980 Ti aren't affected by crypto AFAIK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Or buy used.

GTX 970 & 980/980 Ti aren't affected by crypto AFAIK

True, mostly seems to affect AMD

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

This seems to be the best i can do right now and is in stock.
    Tempted to just pull the trigger and be done with it.
    Any thoughts on this particular card?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-geforce-gtx-1070ti-turbo-8192mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-41u-as.html

Dcully wrote: »
    This seems to be the best i can do right now and is in stock.
    Tempted to just pull the trigger and be done with it.
    Any thoughts on this particular card?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-geforce-gtx-1070ti-turbo-8192mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-41u-as.html

Get it & save for a real cooler in the meantime (NZXT Kraken G12 + watercooler, or Arctic Accelero).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Them blower fans can get quite loud. But I also never had that card or seen one so it could be fine.

Get it & save for a real cooler in the meantime (NZXT Kraken G12 + watercooler, or Arctic Accelero).

So id need more cooling on it ? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

You don't NEED more cooling (it will still run) but blower cards are louder, and more likely to throttle speeds as they can't cool as effectively as a dual/triple fan cooler.
    game4it70 wrote: »
    Not sure on the MSI Armor; their 1080 Ti version is known to thermal-throttle immediately (or even fail outright!)

Zotac aren't much better at the high-end.

Check GamersNexus for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

If its likely you will need more/better cooling for that card , then consider this one, its 50 quid more but has a better cooling system and is back in stock tomorrow.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/zotac-geforce-gtx-1070ti-amp-extreme-8192mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-zt-p10710b-10p-gx-10u-zt.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I would just get the Palit 1070ti for £409. I know its out of stock but you can still order now. I wouldn't be mad about the blower model version.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭skankles

I would just get the Palit 1070ti for £409. I know its out of stock but you can still order now. I wouldn't be mad about the blower model version.

I’ve actually been looking at this too. OCUK just restocked. The Ti is same price as the 1070...I’m so confused with 1070 cards. Is Ti any better

I assume they all pretty much the same. The Strix and MSI versions may not fit in my case Zalman Z11plus...the above will fit.

skankles wrote: »
    I’ve actually been looking at this too. OCUK just restocked. The Ti is same price as the 1070...I’m so confused with 1070 cards. Is Ti any better

I assume they all pretty much the same. The Strix and MSI versions may not fit in my case Zalman Z11plus...the above will fit.

1070 Ti is way better than 1070; it's basically a 1080.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

1070 Ti is way better than 1070; it's basically a 1080.

Well minus the better memory on the 1080.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

He isn't wrong. If you bought a 1080 two years ago, its still the second best consumer card on the market and you would be lucky to get it at the same price. The market has gotten very weird very fast.

• Advertisement

Keep an eye for deals on prebuilts, e.g. Dell on eBay.

You can still find systems at RRP that way!

I can hold out until something changes, my 970 still does 1440 pretty good at medium settings some high depending on games but im concerned if anything happens my 970 in the meantime im screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

The crypto markets are crashing at the moment. The bubble has burst. Down 30% and will continue going down. I'd expect panic selling soon. There's gonna be a hell of a lot of second hand graphics cards coming on the market soon and a return to somewhat normal pricing once the demand drops.

BloodBath wrote: »
    The crypto markets are crashing at the moment. The bubble has burst. Down 30% and will continue going down. I'd expect panic selling soon. There's gonna be a hell of a lot of second hand graphics cards coming on the market soon and a return to somewhat normal pricing once the demand drops.

Doubt it. You would need to see a drop to where the miners are paying more for electricity then the coins they mine. And plenty of miners pay near 0 for their sources.

I hope so , one has to ask the question would one of these hard working second hand cards have much life left in them and be worth buying?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I hope so , one has to ask the question would one of these hard working second hand cards have much life left in them and be worth buying?

I'd be dubious of picking up any component that's been running 24/7 long term. Maybe ok for high end server components but not fan cooled graphics cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

I preordered the Zotac GTX 1070 ti mini about ten days ago for €439 from amazon.fr.
    Looks at its price now :O
    https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B076S4RT1J/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Lots will get sold off under false pretenses, has happened before many times.

Really the wear isnt terrible. They're on 24/7 so they dont go through many thermal cycles.

Its already rallied to almost 12k, just a blip on the radar.

HODL!

HODL!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Okay, this gpu price thing got really ridiculous.

Watched a video just now about how it is a bad time to build a pc and most of it was due to prices of gpus.

My 680 died on me in 2016 so I got Gygabite G1 1060 6gb for 249£. For ****s and giggles I checked how much it is now in the same place I bought it. Well, it sells now for 349£ after 1.5 years!!! Thats just wrong!!!
    It feels like 10 series are out forever and prices just go up, instead down. Don't even want to know the mid range prices of next gen gpus...

• Advertisement

Okay, this gpu price thing got really ridiculous.

Its ridiculous, RAM pricing too, and its the main reason I'm not bothering to upgrade right now.

Here is a nice challenge. Beat this Dell build.

Thats a
    ATX case,
    Power supply 460 watts,
    Ryzen 5 1400
    8gbs of 2400mhz Ram
    250gig SSD
    1Tb 3.5 inch disk
    AMD RX580 8gig
    Keyboard and Mouse
    Window 10 OS

All pre-built, tested and delivered to your door in 2 weeks with a 1 year collect and return Warranty. For 1005 Euros.

Even if you came close on price, you would struggle to actually have the graphics card shipped this quarter.

If you went back 2 years to a decade, you would struggle to show any real value in a dell gaming desktop outside of a self build. Right now, I would just tell them to buy the dell.

Advertisement