Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad time to buy GPU?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

From a post made on boards a very long time ago,

Bitcoin can never be a currency because its value only ever seems to increase. A working currency must always decrease in value, otherwise nobody would spend it.

I understand Cryto(maybe not Bitcoin at this point) can work for many things.

But right now, its value and those of all the other coins are only funded by increasing hoards of investors. It is a bubble, its current mechanisms are the same as a pyramid scheme and those at the bottom will get burned badly. You can't have a guy in the Netherlands reportedly worth billions, without somebody else supplying that cash to him. And its for something that isn't real and has no underlying production or infrastructure.

And yes, I am pissed I missed the boat. But I'm not putting money into it. I prefer to invest in myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

BT is used for buying a lot of illegal stuff on the internet. I myself purchased a big bag of weed a few times just to see if there was any difference in the quality compared to what you buy off the local dealer. You can pick the strain you want on the internet like you would in some states in America where it is legal or in Amsterdam. You can also buy any other drug also but I had no use for them so never bought them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

From a post made on boards a very long time ago,

Bitcoin can never be a currency because its value only ever seems to increase. A working currency must always decrease in value, otherwise nobody would spend it.

I understand Cryto(maybe not Bitcoin at this point) can work for many things.

But right now, its value and those of all the other coins are only funded by increasing hoards of investors. It is a bubble, its current mechanisms are the same as a pyramid scheme and those at the bottom will get burned badly. You can't have a guy in the Netherlands reportedly worth billions, without somebody else supplying that cash to him. And its for something that isn't real and has no underlying production or infrastructure.

And yes, I am pissed I missed the boat. But I'm not putting money into it. I prefer to invest in myself.

Maybe that is the case for BTC - it's been subverted from it's original intention either way so it doubly has no reason to be mentioned in this context or on this sub-forum (since it doesn't really affect GPUs) - but is it necessarily the case for every coin or token with utility?
    I don't see much of a difference between getting into a good tokenised project early and being a seed investor for some Silicon Valley start-up. Yeah, you might be one of the early whales who gets to profit from IPO investors - that's always happened.
    There are things I've sold which have gone on to much greater things, that's my opportunity cost and a gain for the people who stuck with the project.
    Some early investors with FB or Amazon held for a very long time and sold before either company made a profit - were they participating in a pyramid scheme, just waiting for an opportunity to dump? Or did they value a project in their own way, set a sell price and adhered to it?
    BT is used for buying a lot of illegal stuff on the internet.
    Not so much nowadays, it's too traceable and DNMs have turned away from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

grindle wrote: »

Not so much nowadays, it's too traceable and DNMs have turned away from it.

Really I suppose it's been a good few months at least 6 anyway since I purchased some and I was not back on the market place where you buy it in 6 months either to see what they are using now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

...what they are using now.

Starts with Mo ends with nero.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

grindle wrote: »
    Starts with Mo ends with nero.

Which is also a coin that mines well with a GPU. Weed or Call of Duty, Daddy or chips? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

Wow even a low-end GTX 750ti is £150 on Amazon. £30 over what I paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

there are other 750ti listed at 280!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

tadcan wrote: »
    Wow even a low-end GTX 750ti is £150 on Amazon. £30 over what I paid.

That's probably just an outdated listing. There are plenty of the much faster GTX1050's for £110 or so available.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

That's probably just an outdated listing. There are plenty of the much faster GTX1050's for £110 or so available.
    Ah ok, that makes sense, there is a GTX1050 for £115.

• Advertisement
Advertisement