Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hkc communicator v fibre broadband

Options
  • 13-01-2018 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi to all, I have a hkc SW-1070 V3:2.1 alarm system, with a DMTV Type ATS communicator installed, I think I’m right in saying that.
    It’s a new property in a estate of approx 35 houses like eveyone else here I recently wanted to install fibre broadband but I am constantly told it’s not available for me, only me?
    I’m wondering if the communicator is the issue here and if so how dowhat do I do I find out this is the case.
    I have pictures if required.
    Thank you so much for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

xxdiceyxx wrote: »
    Hi to all, I have a hkc SW-1070 V3:2.1 alarm system, with a DMTV Type ATS communicator installed, I think I’m right in saying that.
    It’s a new property in a estate of approx 35 houses like eveyone else here I recently wanted to install fibre broadband but I am constantly told it’s not available for me, only me?
    I’m wondering if the communicator is the issue here and if so how dowhat do I do I find out this is the case.
    I have pictures if required.
    Thank you so much for any advice.

A DTV uses a phone line to dial out.
    If you can use a analog phone on your line then it should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 xxdiceyxx

Do I need to remove the communicator from the system or can I take out the 2 wires “line in “ to disable it to do a lime test ...tks

Do I need to remove the communicator from the system or can I take out the 2 wires “line in “ to disable it to do a lime test ...tks

Phone line test is turned off in the comms menu.

Great tks I’ll look at the shortcuts to do that then carry out a line test

Great tks I’ll look at the shortcuts to do that then carry out a line test

No problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Do your neighbours have up to 100Mb or 150/300/1000Mb?

Yes both sides have fibre in fact the whole estate except me

I’m in there now I disable DTV yes

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

This sounds more like a broadband issue, then an alarm issue.

First of all, when you say your neighbours can get fibre, do you mean real fibre, as in, Fibre To The Home (FTTH) and thus speeds up to 1000Mb/s or do you mean Eir's "fibre powered broadband" which just goes up to 100Mb/s (note 2 zeros rather then 3). They are two different things and an important distinction.

If it is the latter, then yes, it is possible that the alarm system or other devices on the line (phones, modems, faxes, etc.) could cause interference that could cause your line to fail the pre-qualification test. Best to disconnect all devices including the alarm system from the phone line, give it a few days and then call Eir to retest your line. If it passes, Eir will send out an engineer to install it and he should fit a filter which the alarm system phone cable can then be attached too.

It is also possible that there is a fault somewhere else on your line, out in the line coming into the house, etc.

Finally it is also possible that you are connected to a different exchange to your neighbours. That your line takes a longer route and thus can't get BB. It does sometimes happen. Also maybe they have run out of space in the local cabinet.

Yes they have eir fibre some have other network providers, I have the same wiring to the house in a 35 house estate but I’m the only one with an alarm and dtv, I see your valid points tho it could be a line fault of an exchange etc so that’s why I’m thinking it’s the dtv and wanted to disconnect it...so your saying disconnect the whole system yes?

• Advertisement

Yes it’s the fibre powered broadband next door up to 100mb
    I can only get 6mb

I’m in there now I disable DTV yes

Disable DTV turns off the DTV.
    I thought it was the line monitor you wanted to turn off?

I’m unsure which one...all I want is to free my phone line to run a fibre test to see if it’s the dtv...so am I right in disabling the dtv...many tks

I’m unsure which one...all I want is to free my phone line to run a fibre test to see if it’s the dtv...so am I right in disabling the dtv...many tks

The line just goes in and out of the DTV.
    It's only when it makes a call it will seize the line if set up for line priority.

Tks again it could be outta my league I’m confused already lol I’ll call Johnathon the engineer back to look at it,,,many thanks for your advice and time.

Tks again it could be outta my league I’m confused already lol I’ll call Johnathon the engineer back to look at it,,,many thanks for your advice and time.

If it's the line itself you may need Eir to investigate further.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

What you need to do is find where the phone line enters your house and then disconnect from that all your internal phone wires, including the one that leads to your alarm system. This basically eliminates any faulty wiring or equipment from inside your home that might be causing interference on the line and thus the failed test.

Note it can take Eir a few days to actually run the tests and update their database. If you call them, they are just reading the results of the last test, not necessarily running a new one. so give it a few days if you can.

BTW you also need to disconnect your ADSL modem if you have one as that could be causing issues.

If your neighbour can get 100Mb/s and you only 6Mb/s then there is something seriously wrong. Either a major fault/interference somewhere or you are connected to a different exchange.

BTW This is all more of a broadband issue, then an alarm system issue. If the test passes and you do get VDSL in, then the alarm system can be reconnected to the phone line after the filter that the Eir engineer will install.

BBTW This Eir "fibre" you are talking about is called VDSL and it isn't really fibre. It is just higher speeds on old phone lines.

That makes a lot of sense I will try that, at the moment I have sky broadband up to 6mb, no matter whom I call eir Vodafone sky etc they just say the same old thing and are not interested, even when I explain i live amongst 35 properties the majority have fibre inc my neighbors but not me.

I am the only one that has an alarm system and a Dtv which led me to the idea of this being the issue.
    I know it could be a faulty line or full exchange etc but what are the odds.

I will disconnect all cables where the line enters the house as you say and leave it a few days and try them again and I think I can run my own tests online if their of any use.

Thanks so much for your advice you have made a lot of sense, and give me some hope lol.

The online tests aren't really real time, they are just showing you the results of Eir's last pre-qual tests. Though obviously if their is a sudden jump in the result in those tests, then you know that an updated pre-qual has been run and you can now order faster broadband.

You should probably direct further questions to the Broadband forum here on boards, you are more likely to get answers to this issue there. Also the Eir Talk-To forum might be more helpful to you then your normal costumer support person on the phone.

Advertisement