Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung S9/9+

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

So, where's the best deal to buy this sim free or pay as you go? S9+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Still no new firmware from Eir to fix the S9+ call issues. Are vodafone still the only provider to release the fix?

Three Ireland were to release the fix two weekends ago. Did anyone on Three get the update to ARD4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Still no new firmware from Eir to fix the S9+ call issues. Are vodafone still the only provider to release the fix?

Three Ireland were to release the fix two weekends ago. Did anyone on Three get the update to ARD4?

Sammobile only shows the VF firmware so I'm guessing neither of the other 2 have released it yet.

Yeah I see that on SamMobile. Odd that no other provider has released the new firmware since may 9th. Perhaps the reports of issues with the 'fixed' firmware are true?

Yeah I see that on SamMobile. Odd that no other provider has released the new firmware since may 9th. Perhaps the reports of issues with the 'fixed' firmware are true?

Can't say I've had a single issue since installing it, and I've made dozens of calls (including several over an hour) since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Can't say I've had a single issue since installing it, and I've made dozens of calls (including several over an hour) since.

Similar for me although I haven't made a call over an hour.Was the ear not melted of you :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

yabadabado wrote: »
    Similar for me although I haven't made a call over an hour.Was the ear not melted of you :eek:

I regularly make calls that go over an hour... no issues any longer :) I am more of a caller than a texter :D

Battery lasted 11hr45 yesterday. 27% of that was screen is that excessive.
    Really disappointed if I can't improve battery,It went down 4% this morning while it was in my pocket on the way to work.Its only a 20min drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Just downloaded Kapernsky Battery Life.

I've had the phone on powersave since I bought it, and now I am getting sort of 10 hours from it even on power save, so I figured it was time to have a look.

Facebook is draining a lot, but I like the app. Chrome is also draining a lot.

Is there a light version of the facebook app I can install that is less power-sucking?

Presume you've tried Facebook Lite. I don't use facebook myself.
    errlloyd wrote: »
    Is there a light version of the facebook app I can install that is less power-sucking?

• Advertisement

Picked up this phone on Friday evening after upgrading from the S7
    Happy with my purchase, but I need someone to help me discover the cool tips and tricks. Any cool stuff under the covers that people recommend.
    So far, I've just done the general messing about with the phone

Picked up this phone on Friday evening after upgrading from the S7
    Happy with my purchase, but I need someone to help me discover the cool tips and tricks. Any cool stuff under the covers that people recommend.
    So far, I've just done the general messing about with the phone
    Usually plenty of YouTube videos for getting tips and tricks.

Looks like a new firmware released in the last few days. G965FXXU1BRE5

Firmware Features
    Upgraded to Same Android Oreo with May 2018 Security Patch Update.
    Now you can send animated GIFs during phone calls.
    Add Google search app in Easy Mode.
    Removed Incorrect error message in SIM Swap.
    The new version of Visual Voicemail.
    Notification for no app space.
    Improved Voice over Wi-Fi calls.
    You can turn off the navigation bar to maximize your screen view.
    Notification Direct Reply
    Custom DPI Support
    Added Status Bar Icon Options
    Added Quick Launch Of 3rd Party Applications
    Improved Customization

Charged phone to 100% last night and unplugged it.
    Woke up this morning and it was at 81%.

That can't be normal, can it ?19% down in 6 hours with nothing running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭Tefral

I cannot for the life of me get 4g on my phone. I had another phone from 3 Ireland sitting alongside it yesterday (an S7) and that had full bars 4g. I only had H.

Is this an issue with this phone?

Presume the network mode is set to LTE ? Mine is set as "(LTE/3G/2G (auto connect)"

SETTINGS -> CONNECTIONS -> MOBILE NETWORKS -> NETWORK MODE
    Tefral wrote: »
    I cannot for the life of me get 4g on my phone. I had another phone from 3 Ireland sitting alongside it yesterday (an S7) and that had full bars 4g. I only had H.

Is this an issue with this phone?

Presume the network mode is set to LTE ? Mine is set as "(LTE/3G/2G (auto connect)"

SETTINGS -> CONNECTIONS -> MOBILE NETWORKS -> NETWORK MODE

Yeah mine is set to that I constantly get 4G ,no issues with connectivity .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Anyone having battery issues the last couple of days?

Mine had used 54% in the last 2 hours and 5% in the last 5 minutes since I picked it up. Out of the last two hours it hasn't had much usage at all. Browsing and emails and I could find it for about 40 minutes......

The battery monitor is saying any of the apps I'm using are only 0.01% etc. So seems to be nothing using a huge amount of power.

Writing this post took 3% battery alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

SachaJ wrote: »
    Anyone having battery issues the last couple of days?

Mine had used 54% in the last 2 hours and 5% in the last 5 minutes since I picked it up. Out of the last two hours it hasn't had much usage at all. Browsing and emails and I could find it for about 40 minutes......

The battery monitor is saying any of the apps I'm using are only 0.01% etc. So seems to be nothing using a huge amount of power.

Writing this post took 3% battery alone.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread but install Battery Life by Kaspersky. It'll tell you what apps are draining the battery. Android is still poor at preventing apps from draining the battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Update available at long last on Eir since around the 27th, security patch May 1st, BRE3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

bogman wrote: »
    Update available at long last on Eir since around the 27th, security patch May 1st, BRE3

vodafone have release their second update in the last few days

There was some issue with wifi calling in the early may update apparently. Three Ireland have an update out as well if anyone else is interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

So what's the best cover and screen protector to get?? Have users been impressed with the ones they've got for their device??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

So what's the best cover and screen protector to get?? Have users been impressed with the ones they've got for their device??

I'm using the White Dome Glass screen protector and it's amazing. No loss of sensitivity at all.

I'm also using the Spigen Neo Hybrid case and I find it very good too. The material on the back of the case could be "grippier" but other than that I'm happy.

I bought both from Amazon and shipped them via parcel motel as the Spigen case won't ship to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭jamesd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

I'm only getting slow charge with my official charger now, anyone else had that problem?

errlloyd wrote: »
    I'm only getting slow charge with my official charger now, anyone else had that problem?

Make sure in your settings that Fast Charging is on, a recent update or such could have disabled it.

You'll find it under:
    Settings > Device Maintenance > Battery > three dots in top right corner > Advanced Settings > Fast Cable Charging

If not, try another official charger and cable, if it works then its your charger and/or cable that is the fault.

If another official charger and cable does not work, then its your phone that is the problem, you'll have to send it off.

Before sending it off though, back it up and restore it and see if it working, might be a bug in the software on your phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Torn between the S9 and the S8.

Does anyone who upgraded from S8 to S9 feel it wasn't worth it?

I'm due for an upgrade, Three have given me a price of €329 for the S9 upgrade price (seems to be the same price for a new bill customer) at the €45/m plan, but they've offered me a €40 discount as well.

Also, to go Plus or not...I think I prefer the smaller screen size, but the larger battery on the Plus is appealing, but maybe the larger screen negates the benefits of the larger battery anyway?

Any other advantages to the Plus?

• Advertisement

Cianos wrote: »
    Torn between the S9 and the S8.

Does anyone who upgraded from S8 to S9 feel it wasn't worth it?

I'm due for an upgrade, Three have given me a price of €329 for the S9 upgrade price (seems to be the same price for a new bill customer) at the €45/m plan, but they've offered me a €40 discount as well.

Also, to go Plus or not...I think I prefer the smaller screen size, but the larger battery on the Plus is appealing, but maybe the larger screen negates the benefits of the larger battery anyway?

Any other advantages to the Plus?

I found the S8 plus too big for my hand, it was uncomfortable to hold and try navigate the screen, I ended up selling it and getting an S8.

Each to their own though, you'd be better off going to a phone shop and getting a feel of both.

I haven't noticed much difference in battery usage on either tbh. Remember the bigger battery also has to power the bigger screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Right folks,

Ive a bit of a dilemma, contract is up on vodafone next month.. currently have s7.. been offered the s9 for €200 and s9+ for €300
    But i dunno what to do.. reading the comments on here have helped but i can't make my mind up.. i can afford either upgrade and just want a reliable phone.. Any help making my mind up would be appreciated

Right folks,

Ive a bit of a dilemma, contract is up on vodafone next month.. currently have s7.. been offered the s9 for €200 and s9+ for €300
    But i dunno what to do.. reading the comments on here have helped but i can't make my mind up.. i can afford either upgrade and just want a reliable phone.. Any help making my mind up would be appreciated

Go with the S9+. I had an S8 and found it too narrow for my tastes (having come from an S6 Edge+, Note 4 etc). The S9+ however is an ideal size for the new form factor they adopted, and thus a lot easier to use than the S8 IMO.

Plus there's the extra RAM and camera changes. I have an S9+ about 2 months now and can confidently say it's the best phone I've owned yet :)

Is there much of a practical difference between the cameras on the S9 and S9+? I would prefer the smaller screen and the lower cost of the S9, but if the camera is way better on the S9+ I might go for that instead. If the differences are negligible in reality then I'd stick with the S9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Yes....s9 plus has dual camera afaik...s9 just one...

Is there much of a practical difference between the cameras on the S9 and S9+? I would prefer the smaller screen and the lower cost of the S9, but if the camera is way better on the S9+ I might go for that instead. If the differences are negligible in reality then I'd stick with the S9.

The dual camera on the back of the S9+ gives it amazing ability to have "fake" depth of field. The S9 might be pretty good at this too, but I know the plus is outstanding and that should be advantage of dual lens.

If you don't care about that, then I don't really know what it offers.

• Advertisement

Logged on to Three live chat today to get a price on the S9+. The upgrade price was only €379, and then they offered me €50 discount as well so I went ahead with it. Got the device insurance as well directly from Three as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

How has the S9 faired for updates\security patches since release?

If not, try another official charger and cable, if it works then its your charger and/or cable that is the fault.

So it's the cable. You reckon I can get a warranty swap from Vodafone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

sentient_6 wrote: »
    How has the S9 faired for updates\security patches since release?

Depends on carriers really... Vodafone have been fairly quick getting updates out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Upgraded to s9 from S8 last week. I used to use the modded Google pixel camera app for the amazing background blur (I think s9 does it even worse than S8)
    Ever since upgrading, I can't find a download that gives me a functioning modded app. Tlon S8 it was super buggy and crashed all the time but I could always get an amazing background blur photo. Simply can't do it on s9 on any site I download the modded app from.

Does anyone have a link to s version they got that actually works on s9?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

Bought an unlocked S9+ 128gb and loving it compared to my old s7. Not sure how much of an upgrade it is from the s8 but huge difference from s7.

Went with s9+ because of larger battery, dual camera, more ram and bigger screen. Anyone thinking of s9 or s9+ Id recommend plus for these reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭butrasgali

A question.. I have an s9..I go into settings then display and I want to change homescreen....but tapping homescreen dosent work..any ideas for me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

butrasgali wrote: »
    A question.. I have an s9..I go into settings then display and I want to change homescreen....but tapping homescreen dosent work..any ideas for me..

Just a sub-heading rather than a selectable option I'm guessing. The related options would be below it...

Is there a way to change the Bixby button? Does anyone use Bixby? I'd like to change it to a sound on/off toggle or something more useful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Is there a way to change the Bixby button? Does anyone use Bixby? I'd like to change it to a sound on/off toggle or something more useful

I think it's possible to change it though not without flashing the ROM. I use Bixby occasionally - the voice recognition is fairly poor, and its functionality is limited, however it's very useful if you need to take a selfie or screenshot.

I've been using this app on my Note 8 for ages. Have single press launching assistant, and double press doing flashlight.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jamworks.bxactions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Anyone have any idea why i can't transfer my info from my iphone X to S9+? When it gets to 94 ish % i keep getting the connection lost message. When i try from itunes via smart switch the phone sticks at 8%" analyzing messages", getting frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭BurnUp78

These phones dont handle the weather very well do they? 30 seconds in the sun and the thing feels hot enough to brand a samsung logo onto your hand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Does anyone know if Google Pay works on these phones? And if not, is there an alternative?
    I use it quite frequently on my S7 but have heard I can't use it on S9 due to Samsung Knox (or is there a way of disabling Knox?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭kilsmum

Google pay works perfectly on my S9+

• Advertisement
Advertisement