Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung S9/9+

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 231 ✭✭sellasheep

Nolars wrote:
    And what about online Amazon I'm guessing?

I got s9 plus thru amazon germany for 649 eur recently...2 years peace of mind...

They don't deliver to Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

sellasheep wrote:
    They don't deliver to Ireland

They do...check for anything fulfilled by amazon...they keep coming in stock...

But these phones are effectively 'grey imports' and it's likely they won't be the same as the ones you buy on tg3 high street here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

sellasheep wrote: »
    But these phones are effectively 'grey imports' and it's likely they won't be the same as the ones you buy on tg3 high street here.

They'll be exactly the same. May have Snapdragon which is no disadvantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

It they're Asian models they won't be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Patww79 wrote: »

The model I have is G965F European model so what I got wasn't Asian anyway dunno about others.

Patww79 wrote: »

How will they be different if they're Asian? I've messages the tech trade in shop on Parnell street and they want 530 with my S6 for the S9 plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

After spending ages deciding between the Note9 and the S9+ I finally got a chance to try in store and had to rule both out as they were just too big for my hands lol
    "Settled" with the S9 which I got for £475 from Samsung UK with Unidays discount and trade in of an old S3. I had sterling in a UK account I was closing so it worked out perfectly! I've been using an S5 for the last few months so really looking forward to it arriving. Also ordered the Spigen case recommended here, thanks folks!

Scraggs wrote: »
    After spending ages deciding between the Note9 and the S9+ I finally got a chance to try in store and had to rule both out as they were just too big for my hands lol
    "Settled" with the S9 which I got for £475 from Samsung UK with Unidays discount and trade in of an old S3. I had sterling in a UK account I was closing so it worked out perfectly! I've been using an S5 for the last few months so really looking forward to it arriving. Also ordered the Spigen case recommended here, thanks folks!

One of the reasons I've decided against S9 plus is because of the size of it in my hand. Hope the camera isn't s huge downgrade on the S9.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭jamesd

Went s9 from Amazon Spain too after having an iPhone 6s plus and love the smaller size of the s9 plus the great price compared to the new iPhone.

sellasheep wrote:
    One of the reasons I've decided against S9 plus is because of the size of it in my hand. Hope the camera isn't s huge downgrade on the S9.

Depends if u want the extra 2 gb ram + extra battery + extra cam...i got s9 plus due to these reasons..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭dubrov

I've got to say I've found the s9 a poor upgrade over the s8. I never really used the fingerprint scanner and the camera was already good enough on the s8. For day to day use I don't feel any improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Depends if u want the extra 2 gb ram + extra battery + extra cam...i got s9 plus due to these reasons..

Same here and I felt the S9+ was (and is) better proportioned than the regular S9 given the form factor

Only thing I'm missing on it is dual SIM. I reckon it'd be useful as I carry 2 phones anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I have a 128gb G965 S9+ for sale if any interest. Absolutely mint. Unlocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Same here and I felt the S9+ was (and is) better proportioned than the regular S9 given the form factor

Only thing I'm missing on it is dual SIM. I reckon it'd be useful as I carry 2 phones anyway.

The dual sim variant is very handy. I bought an S9+ dual sim a few weeks ago and I love it, I also carry 2 phones most of the time (personal and work devices) so it’s handy to have it all on the one device. I tried diverting etc in the past and whereas it works for calls, texts etc don’t divert.. It also supports 2 WhatsApp accounts which is very handy for the same reasons as above. Another cool feature is if one sim is out of service the phone will automatically divert to the other sim, handy if both are on different networks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭kevez

What screen protectors are people using on the s9?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭morritty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭lolie

Has anyone managed to activate the Fm radio on the S9 bought on irish networks or is it even possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

lolie wrote:
    Has anyone managed to activate the Fm radio on the S9 bought on irish networks or is it even possible?

Need to use Nextradio apk. Just Google

Which screen protector is everyone rocking on this ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Which screen protector is everyone rocking on this ?

Most the plastic ones on amazon are grand.

There all basically the same once they cover the screen fully there fine.

I have this one on the last few months https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07C55HMSX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭lolie

Need to use Nextradio apk. Just Google

They installed the nextradio apk but it's saying the phone doesn't have the software for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

lolie wrote:
    They installed the nextradio apk but it's saying the phone doesn't have the software for it.

lolie wrote:

The phone needs to be unlocked. It should work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The phone needs to be unlocked. It should work!

Mine's unlocked.. no joy.

Or do you mean running unbranded/stock firmware?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭TheBigEvil

Lads,

Has anyone bought an international version of the Samsung S9+ ? Looking to get one for a Christmas present. Was in a shop on Parnell street today, and they were selling them for €650 for the 128GB version, model SM-G965F/DS. Seriously tempting.

Just curious if anyone has bought and is using one, as its way cheaper than any of the SIM free 64GB versions out there.

Is there any loss of functionality or anything over a UK/Ireland version of the phone? Is there any issue with warranties etc.?

I'm on the Vodafone network.

Thanks...

TheBigEvil wrote:
    Has anyone bought an international version of the Samsung S9+ ? Looking to get one for a Christmas present. Was in a shop on Parnell street today, and they were selling them for €650 for the 128GB version, model SM-G965F/DS. Seriously tempting.

Buy from Amazon.de for peace of mind...u will get 64 gb version around 600 quid..

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

So apparently this is happening ....

Pie rolling out on the S9 and S9+

So 2 questions really :

1) has anyone gotten the update in Ireland yet ?
    2) I just got a 9+ a couple of days ago - should I grab this or hang back and see if there's bugs lurking ?

Just downloading it now will update if there is any bugs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

kevez wrote: »
    Just downloading it now will update if there is any bugs
    Did you buy unlocked or on a network? I bought on Vodafone and only got an update the other day but no sign of Pie update

bennyx_o wrote: »
    Did you buy unlocked or on a network? I bought on Vodafone and only got an update the other day but no sign of Pie update

Mine is a dual sim unlocked version

• Advertisement

Did u get it from amazon...i just got a 61 mb update to dec security patch..

Edit: Got update after installing december patch...s9+ from amazon germany...happy days...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I got a small update but no android P as of yet

MarkY91 wrote:
    I got a small update but no android P as of yet

If its dec security update..pie update will follow...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

If its dec security update..pie update will follow...

That's it. I'm looking forward to trying it out. Nothing as of yet.

I'm currently in the Philippines using a Filipino SIM card until 10th January. Should the affect when I get the update?

Just installed it there.
    just one thing thats noticeable, previously my phone freaked out about my WiFi. It was hopping from 2.4 to 5 Ghz.
    Thats now sorted, so worth the upgrade for that alone.

Edit: and WiFi calling. That seems useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

Is the update available on three or only carrier free phones for the moment?

I got the December security patch update but no pie yet.

jay28 wrote: »
    Is the update available on three or only carrier free phones for the moment?

I got the December security patch update but no pie yet.

Looks like unlocked devices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Anyone that got the phone through virgin media get the update?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭The Darkness

I recently got an S9 plus and I'm having a big problem with the music on my SD card - a 128 GB, SanDisk Ultra XC1 Class 10.

The issue is that it doesn't seem to read/see a large proportion of the music files on it; in that the files are still there somewhere, taking up space, but seemingly invisible to any apps or music players on the device. And they're nowhere to be seen when I plug it in to my laptop either; so effectively cannot be deleted or replaced also. The files that are visible work fine, so it's clearly not a compatibility issue; but it has me completely stumped otherwise.

As you can imagine, this is really annoying. I have a 100+ gigs of music on there, predominantly in mp3, flac and wav formats.
    And I'd like to be able to listen to it, as I use my phone extensively as a music player.

Does anyone know what the likely issue is?

And/or how to remedy it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Sounds like a problem with the SD card, particularly if it's happening with the laptop too. I'd suggest you try repairing the SD card through Windows Command Prompt. I'm assuming you have WIndows? If so, plug your SD card in and open My Computer or Windows Explorer to find out what drive letter your SD card is (for this example I'm going to assume it's E:). Hit the Windows key and R together to get the 'Run' window open, type cmd and hit enter.

In the command prompt, type chkdsk e: /offlinescanandfix and hit enter. This will run a scan of SD card and repair any issues it can find. Once the scan is complete, see if the inaccessible music is now accessible.

I had an issue with my last SD card whereby it kept causing the phone to freeze. The music on it was accessible, for a while, but after a random amount of time it would go offline. It would work in the laptop, and I could scan it, but ultimately I had to replace the SD card as it just wouldn't work in the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Every time I get a new phone, which has been more than a few times this year, I freshly format the card when it first goes in the phone and take the pain for a few hours of re transfering all my music to the sd card (with it still in the phone contected with the usb obvs).

SuprSi wrote: »
    Sounds like a problem with the SD card, particularly if it's happening with the laptop too. I'd suggest you try repairing the SD card through Windows Command Prompt. I'm assuming you have WIndows? If so, plug your SD card in and open My Computer or Windows Explorer to find out what drive letter your SD card is (for this example I'm going to assume it's E:). Hit the Windows key and R together to get the 'Run' window open, type cmd and hit enter.

In the command prompt, type chkdsk e: /offlinescanandfix and hit enter. This will run a scan of SD card and repair any issues it can find. Once the scan is complete, see if the inaccessible music is now accessible.

I had an issue with my last SD card whereby it kept causing the phone to freeze. The music on it was accessible, for a while, but after a random amount of time it would go offline. It would work in the laptop, and I could scan it, but ultimately I had to replace the SD card as it just wouldn't work in the phone.

Thanks for the reply SuprSi. Tbh when I initially said that it didn't read on the laptop, I meant when it was still mounted in the phone and connected through the usb; but it turns out that when I unmounted it and plugged it in directly, it still had the same problem.

I've been trying to do as you said for the last hour or so, but it just refuses to work - I keep getting a variety of refusal/invalid messages.

When I first did it, exactly as you typed it chkdsk j: /offlinescanandfix (with the spaces, colon and forward slashes exactly as you typed them, it came up as Invalid Parameter - /offlinescanandfix???

Then when I tried it separately, as in chkdsk j: first, on its own; it said - Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privileges. You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode. (This makes absolutely no sense to me, as this is my computer and no-one else uses or has access to it; so if I don't have the sufficient access or privileges, then who the hell does?)

Then when I tried it with any various combinations of it that I could think of, it continued to give me the same Invalid Parameter computer-says-no refusal.

To clarify, I'm running Windows 7 on a Dell Inspiron 1720.

Now, it's even more frustrating - it really is utterly infuriating.
    So if there's any further help or suggestions you (or anyone else) could give I'd be eternally grateful, as this is just driving me mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Did you run command prompt as admin?

Edit: Made a mistake. It's not did you, more like make sure you run as admin as you deffo did not. Right click and then more run as admin.

Did you run command prompt as admin?

Edit: Made a mistake. It's not did you, more like make sure you run as admin as you deffo did not. Right click and then more run as admin.

Ok, you were right. I previously hadn't ran as admin; so I did as you said - and there was some movement, but no real improvement or resolution wrt to the issue unfortunately;
    as it's counting the missing files and folders as present.

It ran a check saying the type of file system: exFAT.
    Volume Serial Number
    Then said that Windows is verifying files and folders...
    File and Folder verification is complete.
    Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

Then it lists off the total disk space, number of files, number of indexes; number in bad sectors (0); number in use by the system; number available on the disk.

How many bytes in each allocation unit.
    The total allocation units on disk.
    Allocation units available on disk.

And that's it; still no acknowledgement of the missing/unread files; nor any means of diagnosing or fixing what the problem is - indeed, accordiung to that, they're all present and correct.

Does it mean anything more to you? Am I missing something?

Ok, you were right. I previously hadn't ran as admin; so I did as you said - and there was some movement, but no real improvement or resolution wrt to the issue unfortunately;
    as it's counting the missing files and folders as present.

It ran a check saying the type of file system: exFAT.
    Volume Serial Number
    Then said that Windows is verifying files and folders...
    File and Folder verification is complete.
    Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

Then it lists off the total disk space, number of files, number of indexes; number in bad sectors (0); number in use by the system; number available on the disk.

How many bytes in each allocation unit.
    The total allocation units on disk.
    Allocation units available on disk.

And that's it; still no acknowledgement of the missing/unread files; nor any means of diagnosing or fixing what the problem is - indeed, accordiung to that, they're all present and correct.

Does it mean anything more to you? Am I missing something?

Here's a screenshot.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure what the issue is. Can you connect the SD card to a computer without using the phone and see if you can see or play the songs?

I'm not sure what the issue is. Can you connect the SD card to a computer without using the phone and see if you can see or play the songs?

Unfortunately, that makes two of us. :(

Ya, it's already unmounted from the phone and directly connected to the laptop; and has been since I started running the check disk diagnostics etc and still no sign of the files.

They're still taking up space (about 50 gigs of 104 in total used, of 119 overall), but cannot be viewed, accessed or even deleted - tbh I'm at a loss now myself.

Have you the files saved else where? If so low level wipe the card and then format (not quick format) and then transfer all files back. Pain I know but these things happen.

I'm nearly 100% certain after doing that you will be able to play your songs from phone and if not the SD card is at fault.

Have you the files saved else where? If so low level wipe the card and then format (not quick format) and then transfer all files back. Pain I know but these things happen.

I'm nearly 100% certain after doing that you will be able to play your songs from phone and if not the SD card is at fault.

Ya, they're all saved on an external drive; although spread about all over the place, which will be rather inconvenient.
    It's beginning to look like this is the only option left though, although I'd prefer to avoid doing it if possible.

There really shouldn't be anything wrong with the card though. I had it in my previous phone, a HTC One M8, and it was working fine for years.

This problem has only occurred since I transferred it into my new S9 plus; so it seems to me to be more like some sort of a compatibility issue, rather than an actual malfunction of the card itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Ah, I can see you're running Windows 7 and that option only came in Windows 8 and above. You can try the /r option instead, which should do the same thing;

Chkdsk e: /r

• Advertisement
Advertisement