Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung S9/9+

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭The Darkness

SuprSi wrote: »
    Ah, I can see you're running Windows 7 and that option only came in Windows 8 and above. You can try the /r option instead, which should do the same thing;

Chkdsk e: /r

Ok, so I ran that one and now we seem to be getting somewhere.
    It went through the usual steps until verifying files and folders.
    Then said that The disk does not have enough space space to replace bad clusters detected in file \Audio\FLACS Etc.\Tindersticks - Tindersticks (1993) FLAC\13 - piano song.flac

The next line was Corruption was found while examining files in directory \Audio\FLACS Etc.\Tindersticks - Tindersticks (1993) FLAC (47).

And is then completed with: C:\Windows\system32> of name 2174084
    'of' is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable or batch file.

Now, most of this only makes a little sense to me. I do understand wrt to the corrupted files; that that whole folder (FLACS) that has been referenced there twice, can't even be accessed at all. Not when the card is mounted on the phone on the laptop or on the phone itself; nor, indeed, when the card is unmounted and connected directly into my laptop. If I click on it, it just says: J:\Audio\Flacs Etc. refers to a location that is unavailable etc
    And there are several other folders and files on the card that are nowhere to be seen at all; not on the phone, sd card or via the laptop, they're like ghosts.
    50 gigs or so worth.

I don't know why there isn't enough space to replace bad clusters either, as there's a good 15 gigs of space still on the sd card - so there should be plenty, no?

At least there's been some progress towards identifying the issue - anyone know what the next step needs to or should be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

The only option is what I said above about wiping the device.

Or you could make a new folder on Desktop and move a fair chunk of files you can see on the SD card to that new folder on desktop and then delete from sd card and try again the fix and see if there is enough room for windows to apply a fix. And if it is then fixed transfer that folder on desktop back to SD card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Tbh sounds like the SD card is a goner. I've had it happen to two SanDisk SD cards in the last 6 months. Devices read that there's files on it and the capacity used and remaining, but no amount of tools can repair, format or delete them. It's a common enough problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I think we're nearly at the point of giving up on the SD card. The lack of space is likely due to corruption, so you could try what wotzgoingon suggests and move some accessible files to the PC before running chkdsk again. If that doesn't work, you could try formatting it, but it might just be a goner unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Hurrache wrote: »
    Tbh sounds like the SD card is a goner. I've had it happen to two SanDisk SD cards in the last 6 months. Devices read that there's files on it and the capacity used and remaining, but no amount of tools can repair, format or delete them. It's a common enough problem.

Doesn’t sound normal for sandisk. Possibly a cheap Chinese knockoff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Curently have 64gb sd card in my S9+, what would be the best sd card out there. I was looking at Samsungs own range any recomondations? Bigger the better will be going hols so plenty of space is a must.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Anyone know best (cheapest) place to buy a brand new unlocked S9 in Dublin/online?
    Would you buy off eBay?
    Got my current S6 from eBay 3 years ago and it's still alive (sometimes only just...)
    Options?
    Thanks in advance....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Zipppy wrote: »
    Anyone know best (cheapest) place to buy a brand new unlocked S9 in Dublin/online?
    Would you buy off eBay?
    Got my current S6 from eBay 3 years ago and it's still alive (sometimes only just...)
    Options?
    Thanks in advance....

Would you buy a grade A refurb (I would). Its very cheap.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/grade-a-samsung-galaxy-s9-all-colours-58-64gb-4g-unlocked-sim-free-399-appliances-laptops-direct-3154714

Darren 83 wrote: »
    Curently have 64gb sd card in my S9+, what would be the best sd card out there. I was looking at Samsungs own range any recomondations? Bigger the better will be going hols so plenty of space is a must.

You can't really go wrong with a SanDisk SD card. Their Extreme Pro versions are very well rated. A little expensive and you might not need that speed on the phone, but they should be very reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Any sign of more people getting the update? No sign on the missus phone yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

TBi wrote: »
    Doesn’t sound normal for sandisk. Possibly a cheap Chinese knockoff?

Nah, they've been genuine, unless the likes of Argos are being scammed too. A bit of googling does show it's not an unusual issue with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭TheBigEvil

errlloyd wrote: »

I bought a S9+ 128GB dual sim for the wife for Christmas from It-Fix on Parnell street. Got it for €640. No issues with it whatsoever. Shes over the moon with it. Using it on vodafone network, and has already been in Northern Ireland with it and all good.

Would recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭dougm1970

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Mine's unlocked.. no joy.

Or do you mean running unbranded/stock firmware?

fm radio apk's wont work on exynos versions...only snapdragons....typically here we get exynos cpu's in samsung phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Just got the android Pie update (with January 1 security patch).

Unlocked phone from Amazon - Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Any sign of more people getting the update? No sign on the missus phone yet

Still nothing for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭morritty

Mines an Eir phone, I'm sure I'll be waiting until June.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

I'm with three, nothing here either.

Mine is SIM free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Has anybody had issues with the microphone failing on their device?

Bought a S9+ in November in the US and only started using it pre-Christmas when I got over. Was working fine but on some WhatsApp calls I couldn't be heard through the mic so had to go on loudspeaker. Reset permissions and it was back working, then failed again. Factory reset the phone and no issues so far, fingers crossed. Going to go to a Samsung Service centre in NYC tomorrow to see what they might say but only have a few days before heading home, all a bit annoying.

Seems to be a known issue that Samsung are not addressing for a few devices. Oh and another one, even though Samsung have acknowledged that it is an issue they will only replace it 15 days after the order/purchase date. We are so lucky to have EU consumer protection laws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭butrasgali

My battery life isn't great on the 9..any suggestions or apps to extend the battery life to get me another 2 or 3 hours..ta

I have Kaspersky Battery Life installed, which doesn't do anything unless you ask it to, but when you do it'll identify apps that are consuming power and give you the option to kill them off. I find it useful to identify what's actually causing the issue, which indirectly helps to extend the battery life.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kaspersky.batterysaver&hl=en_GB

Still nothing regarding Android pie.

My phone is unlocked and bought from one of them stores in town near capel street

Firmware version: g960fxxs2brk3

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Anyone have any experiences with pie on the s9 yet ?
    Has been ready for install for last couple of days (s9 dual SIM unlocked from Amazon) but I'm holding off just in case there are battery /stability/ camera issues...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

MarkY91 wrote:
    My phone is unlocked and bought from one of them stores in town near capel street

near Capel st?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dubrov

MarkY91 wrote:

I've the same firmware version which has three UK branding.

Nothing yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

fmul9798 wrote:
    Anyone have any experiences with pie on the s9 yet ? Has been ready for install for last couple of days (s9 dual SIM unlocked from Amazon) but I'm holding off just in case there are battery /stability/ camera issues...

All working great...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭MisterKipling

I've an unlocked S9+ on eir. Has anyone received update to pie yet ?

No Irish release yet. What region is your phone from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭MisterKipling

morritty wrote: »
    No Irish release yet. What region is your phone from?

I presume it's the exynos variant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Upgrade time for me

Thinking of going from S8 too the new S10 or whatever it's called

Hoping for Better battery life, faster processor and they continue the Sd card holder cause I have all my pictures/videos on one now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Im an S9* owner coming from a Nexus 6P and a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 before this, don't like Samsung bloatware and the general software interface including Bixby, for this reason I wont be buying another Samsung any time soon and would suggest you wait for the release of the Huawei P30 Pro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Why is the camera so incredibly crap on these phones and the Note 9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

My mains charger seems to have packed in. What's the best one to buy? Another official Samsung one or are there any third parties with the same fast charge.

Kinda bored of Samsung. Had each yearly version since S5.

Anyone else thinking of jumping ship? Or maybe waiting until the S10 reveal?

I original hoped the pixel 3 would be good but the notch is horrendous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Kinda bored of Samsung. Had each yearly version since S5.

Anyone else thinking of jumping ship? Or maybe waiting until the S10 reveal?

I original hoped the pixel 3 would be good but the notch is horrendous

I've the S9+ and started with the S1 and ya like yourself fancy a change possibly Xiaomi next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Why is the camera so incredibly crap on these phones and the Note 9

Thats sacrilege around here. The camera on the Note 9 is horrendous but god forbid I would express that fact.

Truckermal wrote: »
    I've the S9+ and started with the S1 and ya like yourself fancy a change possibly Xiaomi next time.

Took me from the first time the notch appeared until the past week or so to stop despising any phone with it. I don't have a choice anyway as it's the future. So I'll just go with it. My brother has the Huawei p20 lite that looks decent. The battery life on them are meant to be amazing

I've been obsessed with getting a pixel mostly for the camera but the notch is just TOO big.

I'll look into the latest Xiaomi.

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Thats sacrilege around here. The camera on the Note 9 is horrendous but god forbid I would express that fact.

It really is, and for that price, it's daylight robbery by Sam Ng. Hurts my eyes even looking at photos from Samsung's Note and S9 range.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Took me from the first time the notch appeared until the past week or so to stop despising any phone with it. I don't have a choice anyway as it's the future. So I'll just go with it. My brother has the Huawei p20 lite that looks decent. The battery life on them are meant to be amazing

I've been obsessed with getting a pixel mostly for the camera but the notch is just TOO big.

I'll look into the latest Xiaomi.

Can't you just turn off the notch. Who needs that two corners of screen that is there when it's on, might as well just turn it off and leave it off.

Can't you just turn off the notch. Who needs that two corners of screen that is there when it's on, might as well just turn it off and leave it off.

Yeah I only became aware of turning the notch off recently which eases me into the idea of buying a notch phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

Truckermal wrote: »

Just changed from the s9 to the mate 20 Pro. I would highly recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dubrov

MarkY91 wrote:

P.i update now available for download for this firmware version

dubrov wrote: »

Still nothing for me in manual update section :(

So we can expect Eir to update in July?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

dubrov wrote: »

Likewise on a note 9 from three

3 have pushed out their Pie update already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

morritty wrote: »
    3 have pushed out their Pie update already?

Just got it on a Note 9

Nice, hopefully Eir will follow soon

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭tyres

Anybody out there using a third party camera app like Camera MX or something similar??

Really struggling with the S9+ camera to take decent pics.

Using AUTO mode on Samsung stock camera, I don't really veer to much away from AUTO as it can be a pain trying to configure settings ahead of taking a picture.

Any suggestions on how to improve my current, dull blurry photos????

• Advertisement

I thought it might be an idea to ask eir's web chat about an eta on the update.

Never again.
    [eir]
    Hello, thanks for contacting eir Web chat service. How can I help you?
    [me]
    Hi there, Since Android Pie has now been released in Ireland by Samsung. Is there any ETA as to when Eir will be releasing their firmware for the S9+?
    [eir]
    You wish to have a new mobile phone?
    [me]
    Never mind.

Advertisement