Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung S9/9+

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭onlyme!

Can someone suggest the best music player for this please? The s9 music player from the play store just keeps crashing on mine
    poweramp or n7player are considered to be the best players around
    i have both but prefer to use poweramp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I really don't get why people recommend poweramp. Old design and the app hasn't been updated in 2 years!

I quite like Shuttle at the moment. Doubletwist is great too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Are the S9+'s boardsies are getting from Irish networks the 64GB storage or 128GB model? Can't seem to find the 128GB in any phone shops. Noticed Argos have it and recently dropped price of 128GB to 1099€.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Flaccus wrote: »
    Are the S9+'s boardsies are getting from Irish networks the 64GB storage or 128GB model? Can't seem to find the 128GB in any phone shops. Noticed Argos have it and recently dropped price of 128GB to 1099€.

I got the 64gb version from Vodafone. I'm fine with 64gb as I never used the 32gb before :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭mightybashful

I got a 64gb off 3. Picked up a 200gb memory card off amazon.de for 60 odd euros and that'll do nicely

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Dylan94

No the Irish stores have the 64gb option. You could order direct from Samsung UK to parcel motel for the s9+ In blue and 64gb... they also offer the dual SIM version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Eir selling 64gb only.

The ZAGG glass screen protector has definitely had an impact on touch sensitivity. Having to tap two and three times is becoming a pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I went with a plastic screen from Spigen and it's interesting. I use Swiftkey and it definitely impares my swiping, but it doesn't impact the touch sensitivity and seems to be fairly resistant. It also hasn't peeled off yet, which is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

I bought a Tech 21 case and its turned my S9+ into a bar of butter.

Its stupidly slippy now.

I need a case that is a bit more tactile, something with a bit of grip on the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭kilsmum

How is everyone finding the battery life on the S9? I upgraded from an S8. It doesn't appear great tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

With my upgrade coming up in 14days and the huawei mate 10 pro or mate 20 pro also in the picture.... the last 2 posts are a concern!

What processor is in the phones provided by irish networks?!

kilsmum wrote: »
    How is everyone finding the battery life on the S9? I upgraded from an S8. It doesn't appear great tbh

I came from an S7 to an S9+ and am finding the battery life great. I'm not a heavy use but am just about getting 48 hours out of it (it would be down to 1 - 5% mind you).

Took mine off charge at 5.30am and have Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, data going. Listening to the radio and Spotify at 50% now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

yeah, pretty disappointing. I have mine on powersave pretty much permanently.

Listening to music with the screen off seems to burn power quicker than on other phones.

I forgot to add l have mine on power saving as well

Absolutely ludicrous to have to be putting a brand new phone in to power saving to get through a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

Is it really that bad? I limit some settings on my S8 (brightness/adaptive display etc) but in dev options i've animation levels at 0.5% to speed up the phone etc and it uses about 80-90% of the battery is 12-15hours with 4G always on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

446677.jpeg

There is mine for today. So 3 hours, despite only having the screen on for a third of that. That is with powersave on.

• Advertisement

Rizzee do you turn off adaptive display?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Brand new phone with all that processing power and you need to limit to mid range specs!! to get through the day...That is my biggest fear...

The P20 Pro is on my list, for release today. I wonder with that do much better?
    Next up its the HTC u12(+)

Not sure what options are available after this for good battery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Why the **** can't these companies start putting in more powerful batteries. That is one of the first things I look for when changing phones.
    The S8 had good battery life but nothing outstanding. Surely can't have gone backwards with S9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭biebiebie

For anyone considering the S9 the Flossy Carter 1hour+ YouTube review might help you make up your mind, one way or the other.

The battery life seems to be one of his main gripes.

https://youtu.be/1vkkuiG1Dm0

yabadabado wrote: »
    Why the **** can't these companies start putting in more powerful batteries. That is one of the first things I look for when changing phones.
    The S8 had good battery life but nothing outstanding. Surely can't have gone backwards with S9.

It's more got to do with the poor software optimizations and the cpu setup draining the battery, as opposed to the battery itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

kilsmum wrote: »
    Rizzee do you turn off adaptive display?

Nope, it's still on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

What's the difference between the international version G960FD bar the different processor?

Seems to be a big difference in price!

Any opinions on batteries for the 9+?

Also... Is there a way of ordering a snapdragon one from somewhere?

Seen a few vids of the p20 ... underwhelmed with it ... So I'm deffo back in the s9+ camp... But yet scaring the bejesus out of me with the talk of the battery issues

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I've gotta return my Pixel 2XL , getting a refund, 5 devices each with a dead pixel so im sick of it.

Debating between the S9+ and the iPhone X (Never had one), i'm an android geek but the options other then the s9 are so low, but if whats being reported about the battery being bad.. appreciate any updates on that front after a few days of usage!

Thanks!

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Any opinions on batteries for the 9+?

Also... Is there a way of ordering a snapdragon one from somewhere?

Seen a few vids of the p20 ... underwhelmed with it ... So I'm deffo back in the s9+ camp... But yet scaring the bejesus out of me with the talk of the battery issues

Are you looking at p20 or p20 pro.

As I am also looking at p20 pro can I ask the main reasons your not impressed that you think are deal breakers?

The 4000mAh battery and camera look tempting to me, although I know the screen etc is not as good.

• Advertisement

ForestFire wrote: »
    Are you looking at p20 or p20 pro.

As I am also looking at p20 pro can I ask the main reasons your not impressed that you think are deal breakers?

The 4000mAh battery and camera look tempting to me, although I know the screen etc is not as good.

what ever the top spec one released today is....

dissapointed there is no wireless charging on it
    I'm still comparing, I was already struggling to chose between the mate 10 pro and the s9+ ... the launch of the p20 pro didnt help the situation

S9_Screenshot.jpg

No issues with my S9+. I'm generally a light user, but I was in London when Ireland played in Twickenham - fully charged the phone at 7am, used it throughout the day, lots of photos and videos from the game, a good bit of browsing, and almost 2 hours continuous screen-on usage on the train home, getting into the house around 11pm, and I still had over 35% of battery left which lasted me well into the next morning.

I will say that I had some issues initially with an app for a knock-off version of a Fitbit (Veryfitpro) that killed the battery and I was only getting about 17 hours out of it, but as soon as I uninstalled it, things returned to normal.

Any decent price drops on the S9 yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭butrasgali

I hope the battery gets a bit better..1st full charge didn't last long ..on the new s9

So if you are switching to Vodafone the s9plus is 299 on the 60 plan but if you are staying with Vodafone it's 399 on the 60 plan....

For that alone I'll be switching to three at 399 for the phone on a 60 a month contract...

Annoys me when companies think they have you hooked when you are with them already

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    So if you are switching to Vodafone the s9plus is 299 on the 60 plan but if you are staying with Vodafone it's 399 on the 60 plan....

For that alone I'll be switching to three at 399 for the phone on a 60 a month contract...

Annoys me when companies think they have you hooked when you are with them already

Are you sure?

I selected the S9+, new customer, with number switch over and its €399 still.

Maybe you selected the S9 only for the €299 price?

ForestFire wrote: »
    Are you sure?

I selected the S9+, new customer, with number switch over and its €399 still.

Maybe you selected the S9 only for the €299 price?
    I was in the physical store... (Actually 2 stores, Vodafone and carphone whse, I hoped that CPW would have similar for three)...

But yeah... New customer on Vodafone 60 plan for the s9plus... 299

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Does anyone know if you can get the S9+ sim-free from an Irish seller? Carphone Warehouse only have the S9 sim-free at the moment. I don't want to buy from abroad as I understand that causes problems when trying to insure it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

Branoic wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can get the S9+ sim-free from an Irish seller? Carphone Warehouse only have the S9 sim-free at the moment. I don't want to buy from abroad as I understand that causes problems when trying to insure it.

Harvey norman

• Advertisement

Branoic wrote: »

Gadget insurance accept purchased new from Ireland, UK or USA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Harvey norman
    They’ve only got the S9, not the +.

Found it with Argos.

Patww79 wrote: »
    But you'll have significantly worse coverage for the same money.

That said, I can't blame you. The way Vodafone always treat their current customers is ****e.

Might have to get over my tantrum anyway...

On Vodafone there's free Spotify for 2 years and a Samsung case. 15gb data.

On three there's Deezer for 3months. But all you can eat data...

I've 5gb data currently and haven't breached it once yet...calls and texts don't matter ..

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Vahevala wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's something to do with moving to billpay or if it's the phone itself or what but I am finding the reception for calls on the S9+ is awful, either the calls are dropping or the calls go quiet and I can't hear anything :(

Have raised a ticket with Vodafone, have the sim in my old phone & seems to be ok. I think I will have to send this phone in for replacement or repair. Mad I haven't had this phone that long either :(:(

Its one of the known issue with S9 / s9+ (like the touchscreen issue.)
    Repair or replace wont work (at least for now)

The good news is that it seems an improvement is on the way in the way of software update (new update XXU1ARCC):
    http://piunikaweb.com/2018/03/26/galaxy-s9-users-around-the-globe-reporting-call-dropping-issue/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Its one of the known issue with S9 / s9+ (like the touchscreen issue.)
    Repair or replace wont work (at least for now)

The good news is that it seems an improvement is on the way in the way of software update (new update XXU1ARCC):
    http://piunikaweb.com/2018/03/26/galaxy-s9-users-around-the-globe-reporting-call-dropping-issue/

I think the S9+ is the worst phone I've ever had for call quality. Every call it sounds like the other person has terrible reception as everything is muffled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

SachaJ wrote: »
    I think the S9+ is the worst phone I've ever had for call quality. Every call it sounds like the other person has terrible reception as everything is muffled.

I haven't notice much issue with the quality but have had issues with
    line going silent for 30-60 seconds randomly during calls. hoping the update will fix it and its not a hardware issue

False Prophet l'm having exactly the same issue as you. During the calls the line goes dead. I'm not dropping the calls and it's l can't hear the person l'm calling and sometimes they don't notice it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭biebiebie

• Advertisement
Advertisement