Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung S9/9+

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

rizzee wrote: »
    Doubt it after 14 days ''cooling off'' period, after that I presume it's just manufacturers warranty for repairs.

I've 7 days left...time to make a shed load of calls to see how many drop...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

I'd get rid and go for the p20 pro before it's too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

Yes you are out of the cost of the screen protector if you have to change it. (why didn't you go without the protector and then if the screen broke in a couple of weeks/months get the replacement and use a screen protector then?)

Doesn't seem to be a patch as of yet.

So glad I didn't change from my S8 now with all this trouble..

What replacement? Are Samsung offering a free screen replacement if you break the original one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Doubt it after 14 days ''cooling off'' period, after that I presume it's just manufacturers warranty for repairs.

Vodafone are releasing me from my contract.

I'd get rid and go for the p20 pro before it's too late.

That's what I'm thinking actually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

j14 wrote: »
    What replacement? Are Samsung offering a free screen replacement if you break the original one?

Vodafone are.
    Vahevala wrote: »
    Vodafone are releasing me from my contract.

After thhe 14 days?
    GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    That's what I'm thinking actually

I would anyway... personally with the s8 i didn't see the s9 as much of an upgrade but knowing me changing phones a lot I thought I might be convinced soon after launch. There's absolutely nothing that entices me towards it now. It's a shame.

Vodafone are.

After thhe 14 days?

I would anyway... personally with the s8 i didn't see the s9 as much of an upgrade but knowing me changing phones a lot I thought I might be convinced soon after launch. There's absolutely nothing that entices me towards it now. It's a shame.

Yes, I have taken out an official complaint, I am with them over a month now.

Vodafone are.

After thhe 14 days?

I'm not with Vodafone so a screen protector was necessary from day one.

I'm not with Vodafone so a screen protector was necessary from day one.

The Vodafone offer doesn't include physical damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

On a call to a friend the other night, and the call seemingly dropped on her end, but not on mine. So I could still see the call, couldn't hear anything. But she had hung up, and tried to call me again but was going straight to voicemail. Anyone else having that problem.

• Advertisement

I made a few call now and it's not dropping the call, more the person on the other side disappears for a few seconds...and then comes back...

Even happened when I rang Vodafone support.. the stupid jingle when you're on hold went silent for 4-5seconds (and not due to the stupid voice telling you to go online)

Is everyone on an s9(+) loosing calls?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Not me, not had any calls drop, though I don't spend long on my calls. How long do you need to have a call before it drops? I can do a test to see.

SuprSi wrote: »
    Not me, not had any calls drop, though I don't spend long on my calls. How long do you need to have a call before it drops? I can do a test to see.

Mine were dropping at about the 5 minute mark.

Mine were dropping at about the 5 minute mark.

Dropping completely or fading out and coming back?

Dropping completely or fading out and coming back?

Dropping completely. I made two calls to test the phone (as I never really use the phone for calls) and both calls dropped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Black model,Italian version is €645 on Amazon.it. Sold and dispatched by Amazon.
    Afaik there is no drawback to buying the Italian version bar the charger is 2 pin plug.

Link

I think that's the cheapest I've seen it except from a few questionable sites.

My Spigen neo hybrid gun metal grey case arrived today...

NICE!!

Not as bulky or heavy as the case Vodafone we're giving with the phone...

My Spigen neo hybrid gun metal grey case arrived today...

NICE!!

Not as bulky or heavy as the case Vodafone we're giving with the phone...

Where did you get it from?

yabadabado wrote: »
    Where did you get it from?

Amazon

Spigen 593CS22943 Neo Hybrid Galaxy S9 Plus Case with Flexible Herringbone Pattern Protection and Reinforced Hard Bumper Frame - Gunmetal https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0789S2LZH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_wEq2Ab321TYFW

Amazon

Spigen 593CS22943 Neo Hybrid Galaxy S9 Plus Case with Flexible Herringbone Pattern Protection and Reinforced Hard Bumper Frame - Gunmetal https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0789S2LZH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_wEq2Ab321TYFW

I went with that case and the whitedome screen protector both from Amazon UK.

There was a €30 saving to be made on my order buying from Amazon rather than Mobile fun.

It's a nice case just wish the back was a bit more tactile / grippier

• Advertisement

I went with that case and the whitedome screen protector both from Amazon UK.

There was a €30 saving to be made on my order buying from Amazon rather than Mobile fun.

It's a nice case just wish the back was a bit more tactile / grippier

Yeah I had assumed the rubber piece to be rubberier if that makes sense.

I have been released from my Vodafone billpay contract now. I obviously need to send the phone back but I guess now I have to look up alternative phones now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭kilsmum

After getting a replacement S9 last Thursday, the phone l got is just as bad. This one is actually dropping calls. Going blank mid conversation more than once and the coverage is shocking especially when l'm driving. Never had an issue with my S8 and the coverage is even poor around the house.

The battery is woeful. Worse than my S8. Took the phone off charge at 6am this morning and by 11.45am it was down to 30% and that's with the battery saver on. I can get a refund or get another phone.

Vodafone did say l could wait for a software update to see would it fix the problems but l don't know do l even want to keep the phone now. The problem is what phone do l get instead?

Kilsmum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Sintend

kilsmum wrote: »
    After getting a replacement S9 last Thursday, the phone l got is just as bad. This one is actually dropping calls. Going blank mid conversation more than once and the coverage is shocking especially when l'm driving. Never had an issue with my S8 and the coverage is even poor around the house.

The battery is woeful. Worse than my S8. Took the phone off charge at 6am this morning and by 11.45am it was down to 30% and that's with the battery saver on. I can get a refund or get another phone.

Vodafone did say l could wait for a software update to see would it fix the problems but l don't know do l even want to keep the phone now. The problem is what phone do l get instead?

Kilsmum
    You could try the Sony Xperia XZ2 if you want similar specs on Android or you could try an iPhone 8 if you want an iOS device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ah crap.. I have an S9+ on the way and I've just been reading back on this thread - really starting to worry now

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Ah crap.. I have an S9+ on the way and I've just been reading back on this thread - really starting to worry now

Well, I've an S9 Plus and haven't had any issues, either with the battery or calls dropping. Actually, I did have a battery issue a few weeks ago where I was losing 30% of my battery overnight, while I was sleeping, but it ended up being a very bad app which I've since uninstalled, and now I usually only lose around 10% overnight.

What I've found is that Android is still poor at dealing with rogue apps, which obviously is down to the app developers, but it's disappointing that a small app can cause such problems.

For me, aside from that blip, it's a superb phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭mightybashful

SuprSi wrote: »
    Well, I've an S9 Plus and haven't had any issues, either with the battery or calls dropping. Actually, I did have a battery issue a few weeks ago where I was losing 30% of my battery overnight, while I was sleeping, but it ended up being a very bad app which I've since uninstalled, and now I usually only lose around 10% overnight.

What I've found is that Android is still poor at dealing with rogue apps, which obviously is down to the app developers, but it's disappointing that a small app can cause such problems.

For me, aside from that blip, it's a superb phone.

Same for me. Love the phone. With the exception of chrome shutting down every now and then. And the predictive text arrghh

Other than that deadly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I've noticed Chrome shutting down randomly since the last update. Tried all the usual suggestions and still seeing the problem.

• Advertisement

I've been using Samsung Internet for a good while now and love it, with the exception of how it can't seem to deal with Twitter links.

Oh, and I use SwiftKey, it's the first app I install on any phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

So are these problems more so with the S9 or the S9+??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

So are these problems more so with the S9 or the S9+??

I've a feeling these call issues are more than software errors or they would have had a patch out a long time ago. Pretty big screw up by Samsung tbh considering it's main function is to make calls. They were too busy testing all the other functions and never bothered testing how it makes calls.

Kilsmum

That Vodafone stock? Note 8 or Huawei P20 Pro.

Basil3 Yes it's Vodafone stock. I was seriously thinking about the P20 pro. I considered the Note 8 but the battery life has been so poor on both of the S9"s l had l'm a bit wary now tbh.

Huawei would be a big departure for me but putting it up against the Sony XZ2, the camera and battery life on the Huawei seem (by the reviews online) far superior. I could also just get my money back and wait a while and see do Samsung get a fix for the S9"s but when l went back to the Vodafone shop about it last Thursday (after being there a week earlier) the sales assistant l dealt with seemed pretty vague about the software update to fix the problem with the phone.

Kilsmum

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Patww79 wrote:

You're right about the battery life. I came from an S8 and it was definitely no where near as bad as the S9. I'm wondering maybe about the 9+ or am l insane?!!!

You're right about the battery life. I came from an S8 and it was definitely no where near as bad as the S9. I'm wondering maybe about the 9+ or am l insane?!!!

I'm getting from 7am till 00:30 out of my s9plus... And it would have between 10 and 30% left at that point

I use it heavy but intermittently if that makes sense...I never have brightness at 100 on any phone tho ... I have it just before where the slider goes red...

Was going to buy the S9 this week but the talk of poor battery is putting me off.

How does it compare to the S8? I had that phone and thought it was good for lasting about/over a day.

yabadabado wrote:
    How does it compare to the S8? I had that phone and thought it was good for last over a day.

I have the brightness at halfway. Took the phone off charge at 8.20am. Moderate use, played a few songs on Spotify battery saver on and l'm at 75% now. I don't think the battery would wreck my head as much if l could actually make decent calls on the phone

Kilsmum

• Advertisement

I found the battery was really good on the S9+ but as for making calls, hopeless. I'm leaning towards an iPhone plus :eek: or the P20 Pro as I need to also use the phone for work emails etc.

It will be a huge change as I have been using the Galaxy S (since the first one) and only missed out a few of them.

Vahevala l'm like you loyal to the brand. Started on a 4, went to 6 then 8 and 9.

I'm on my second Samsung tablet and l have a Gear sport watch.

I'm just off a call to my friend where she wasn't moving and the call kept going in and out of coverage and it went blank for a while. It was impossible to have a conversation with her. So maybe l'll stay away from the Samsung altogether and jump ship and go for the P 20 pro.

One thing is sure l'm definitely not keeping this phone because it's a disaster to use. I'm fed up of it.

Kilsmum

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

So disappointed with the phone and the call issue. I'm looking for a second phone my trusted g5 is moving hands and wanted to replace it with the s9 plus but the call issue just make it a No go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Just got the S9+ today. Switched from iOS. How do I transfer my WhatsApp messages across? My iPhone backs up to iCloud. Anyone know?

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Just got the S9+ today. Switched from iOS. How do I transfer my WhatsApp messages across? My iPhone backs up to iCloud. Anyone know?

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057807809/1/#post106747503

WazzapMigrator seems to work, but you would be sharing your messages with a third party app. No idea why WhatsApp don't have a native solution.

Lads,

Is it consitently every call that is dropping or some calls?

Had 3 calls today .. one of 17mins without an issue, a 2min39s call without an issue and a call that cut off after 5mins12s...

I've had one instance of loosing the caller for a period (5seconds) and the call coming back then ...thought there was a second instance but my 7yr old answered my wifes phone and he has a tendency to not pay attention to the call so the drop on that call was him just ignoring me :P

friday is my 14day mark and I'm concerned ... maybe i dont have a problem and I'm worrying about nothing or I dont replace the phone and I'm stuck with a faulty phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

I've noticed Chrome shutting down randomly since the last update. Tried all the usual suggestions and still seeing the problem.

Noticed this too

Lads,

Is it consitently every call that is dropping or some calls?

Had 3 calls today .. one of 17mins without an issue, a 2min39s call without an issue and a call that cut off after 5mins12s...

I've had one instance of loosing the caller for a period (5seconds) and the call coming back then ...thought there was a second instance but my 7yr old answered my wifes phone and he has a tendency to not pay attention to the call so the drop on that call was him just ignoring me :P

friday is my 14day mark and I'm concerned ... maybe i dont have a problem and I'm worrying about nothing or I dont replace the phone and I'm stuck with a faulty phone

Nearly all of my calls drop or seem to mute themselves at some point.

I have been onto Samsung UK and they admitted they know of issues with the S9 and the S9+ dropping calls. I had to send them a load of screenshots of my software and build number and a few other things.

They have asked for a few days before they will let me know of a resolution. More than likely handset will be replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I should have my S9+ in the next day or two , but still worried about these issues.

You'd think Samsung would have learned after the Note 7 fiasco but nope.. it seems they're still just rushing phones out before they're properly tested/ready.. only to replace them 6-12 months later

I think this'll be my last Samsung TBH (only getting it because it's a free upgrade for me, and I was about to pull the trigger on a Mi Mix 2/2s anyway). I'd rather wait another few months and put up with a few mm thicker if it meant a better, more reliable phone at this stage.

Those of you with battery issues, have you tried installing any battery management apps? When I had a problem a few weeks ago I installed Kaspersky Battery Life which identifies battery draining apps. The first time I installed it, it identified 3 running apps, killed them off and I haven't had any issues since.

It might be worth a shot as the S9 has a battery that's only a bit smaller than the Plus, so there shouldn't be a huge difference in terms of time between charges.

• Advertisement
Advertisement