Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity pay

Options
  • 13-01-2018 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I'm just wondering how do I appeal getting more maternity pay. I'm getting E235 per week, my job doesn't pay while I'm on maternity leave which is crazy I'm there over 10 years. I have 2 dependent kids both in primary another on the way. My hubby's wages are less than E320 a week. I have a mortgage, 2 credit union loans. Diesel expenses etc. I don't have a fancy car. I have esb, bills and other bills, my mobile is pay as u go the cheapest I could get which is €15 a month. I rang the maternity services in Donegal when I got the letter and the lady told me there is nothing that can b done. I've never been in debt before neither do I want to b. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

As far as I know you can't appeal. That's the state benefit you get and your employer doesn't have to pay you either.

Mine Doesn't pay so I only get the same.

Was there not something on the form if your partner only earns a certain amount that you can apply for something? I can't remember but if you look up the form it should tell you.
    If you rang them and they told you there is nothing you can do then I'd imagine they are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

You can claim a top up if you have dependents provided your partner earns under a certain amount. Do you remember filling it out? It’s on the maternity benefit form.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

Digs wrote: »
    You can claim a top up if you have dependents provided your partner earns under a certain amount. Do you remember filling it out? It’s on the maternity benefit form.
    Exactly. You can potentially get an increased amount for your spouse if your spouse earns less then €310 and can get an increased amount for your children of your spouse earns under €400. The award letter you got saying you get €235 has information about appealing. The maternity benefit people don't deal with it now the appeals office do. Contact them and explain and ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Owlette wrote: »
    I'm just wondering how do I appeal getting more maternity pay. I'm getting E235 per week, my job doesn't pay while I'm on maternity leave which is crazy I'm there over 10 years. I have 2 dependent kids both in primary another on the way. My hubby's wages are less than E320 a week. I have a mortgage, 2 credit union loans. Diesel expenses etc. I don't have a fancy car. I have esb, bills and other bills, my mobile is pay as u go the cheapest I could get which is €15 a month. I rang the maternity services in Donegal when I got the letter and the lady told me there is nothing that can b done. I've never been in debt before neither do I want to b. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading

On the Maternity Benefit form it asked you to put in your husbands details and that of your other children. If your husband is earning more than €310 then you won’t get any thing for him but you will get €14.90 for each of your children if he’s earning less than €400.
    SW don’t take your outgoing into account.
    What you might be able to get is FIS.
    You need to get a FIS form, your husband is applying, his employer fills out part of it and send it off as soon as possible.
    Don’t bother Appealing the amount of Maternity Benefit you’ve been awarded.
    Ring Donegal again and ask them why you didn’t get the €14.90 for your kids, they will guide you about that,and apply for the FIS asap.
    Contact your mortgage provider and ask for a break until you get back to work.
    The Credit Union too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Owlette

Digs wrote: »

It has to be €310 or under, he is €3 over...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Owlette wrote: »
    It has to be €310 or under, he is €3 over...

There no leave to appeal on that Owlette, don’t waste your time.
    Apply for FIS straight away and you’ll get it for 12 months even including when you go back to work.
    And when you new baby comes you let them know by email or phone and the amount will go up.
    Also don’t forget you’ll be getting CB per month for the new baby too

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

Just a heads up for anybody due to apply for maternity benefit- I did mine online on Tuesday, posted my employer form the same day, and had an answer from them by yesterday! (Friday).
    Helluva lot faster doing it that way- last year when I applied for it using the paper forms the baby was already born by the time they told me I was approved :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

s4uv3 wrote: »
    Just a heads up for anybody due to apply for maternity benefit- I did mine online on Tuesday, posted my employer form the same day, and had an answer from them by yesterday! (Friday).
    Helluva lot faster doing it that way- last year when I applied for it using the paper forms the baby was already born by the time they told me I was approved :rolleyes:

I applied in November, when I rang last week they said they were running ahead of schedule. Got the letter approving it the next day :) not starting my maternity for 4 more weeks

Advertisement