Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jeep & car insurance on one policy

Options
  • 13-01-2018 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi all, I recently decided that I'm going to buy a car but when I went to get a quote I ran into a few issues. Basically, at the moment I own a jeep which I use it for personal and business use, used for getting to and from work and carry my work equipment.

Now the problem is, if I want to buy a car, the insurance company will not allow me to share my NCD " no claims discount " on both, this means I'm left with a dilemma. Either I transfer my full 10+ no claims onto the car insurance as it's a high-performance car and pay a big premium for the jeep because I can only put 5 years named driver on that. My only other option is to get my girlfriend insured on my jeep but doing so means she now has to become the owner of the jeep and not only that, if I'm only a named driver on the jeep, surely there's implications and restrictions on what it can be used for by the named driver?

If anyone has run into this situation before I'd love to hear what you have done, any advice would be great. Thank you...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

My understanding is You can’t have two private policies.

Also, have you recorded on your jeep policy that your carrying work equipment?? Class2 business in think is required to do that legally.

Would it be better to have a commercial small van or jeep for work and have your private policy in your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 IamCait

_Brian wrote: »

Also, have you recorded on your jeep policy that your carrying work equipment?? Class2 business in think is required to do that legally.

Would it be better to have a commercial small van or jeep for work and have your private policy in your car.

Hi Brian, I have indeed, I notified my insurer 4 years ago when my solicitor informed me that I should be down as class 2.

To be honest, going down the route of a commercial vehicle whether it be a van or jeep seems like the better option. Only thing is, will there be insurance implications when my girlfriend wants to drive it and carry our child in it? Basically, I want to have a jeep that myself and girlfriend can be insured on, carry our child and anyone else in, but still be insured so that I can use it for work. Then on the side I want to buy my car for weekends.

There's so much legal ****e it scares you, you do not want to make a wrong move and risk not being covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

_Brian wrote: »

You can have as many private or commercial policies as you like. Price is a different matter.

OP, your options are to either take out a new policy for your new car with your girlfriend as a named driver or register the car in her name, let her take out a policy with you as a named driver. A good broker will work out the best economic option for your circumstances, everyone is different.

You can have as many private or commercial policies as you like. Price is a different matter.

OP, your options are to either take out a new policy for your new car with your girlfriend as a named driver or register the car in her name, let her take out a policy with you as a named driver. A good broker will work out the best economic option for your circumstances, everyone is different.

Yes, this is an option but because I'll be driving it more than her, there are certain restrictions you have to obey or you risk not being covered, it's not ideal.

I just rang a very well know broker and they said they couldn't help me out unless I put all my private no claims onto my new car and start a commercial policy with no " no claims bonus " but it would cost me in the region of 5K. There has to be some good broker or financial advisor I can get onto too, trying to find one is the problem now.

It does seem to be a price thing...however I'm still unsure if my girlfriend can use my commercial jeep with a commercial policy to drive around as normal?

I found out that I can't have a named driver on a commercial policy but I can on a private vehicle that is insured as class 2 for some work. So it looks like I have to go down the road of staying to a private policy to allow her to still be able to drive it but it will be expensive.

• Advertisement

IamCait wrote: »
    I found out that I can't have a named driver on a commercial policy .

I never heard of that. Should be no reason why not if they have appropriate licence

I never heard of that. Should be no reason why not if they have appropriate licence

Ye I thought the same, I'll have to clear this up...It's Saturday, I'd imagine there's some hungover head sitting answering the phones giving out wrong info.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I think AXA have a special deal on 2 vehicles

Turns out you can get a second named driver on a commercial policy. A girl in the private department checked and confirmed, I'm waiting for a call back to see if it will cost more or less. At least I'm getting somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Move 2 policies to same company

Put earned NCB on car with partner named
    Ask conpany if NCB can be mirrored to commercial (sctrict T&Cs)

• Advertisement

cplwhisper wrote: »
    Move 2 policies to same company

Put earned NCB on car with partner named
    Ask conpany if NCB can be mirrored to commercial (sctrict T&Cs)

Hi, yes it turns out I can mirror and also partner can go on commercial policy as a crew cab. Some insurers don’t allow anyone other than employees in vehicle with others treating it no different to a private policy once it has seats. Thankfully I’m getting somewhere with it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jeepcj

IamCait wrote: »
    I found out that I can't have a named driver on a commercial policy but I can on a private vehicle that is insured as class 2 for some work. So it looks like I have to go down the road of staying to a private policy to allow her to still be able to drive it but it will be expensive.

I'm a named driver on my partners commercial jeep policy, have been for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

jeepcj wrote:
    I'm a named driver on my partners commercial jeep policy, have been for years.

My wife has always been a named driver on my commercial policy too. The insurance is actually about 50 euro cheaper that way.

OP maybe you should talk to a broker about this

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    My wife has always been a named driver on my commercial policy too. The insurance is actually about 50 euro cheaper that way.

OP maybe you should talk to a broker about this

Believe it or not I was given flash information by the same company, I decided to call back up and speak to someone else and they clarified it for me. They also said that if you are insured on a crew cab you can carry anybody including your children as long as there are seats.

IamCait wrote:
    Believe it or not I was given flash information by the same company, I decided to call back up and speak to someone else and they clarified it for me. They also said that if you are insured on a crew cab you can carry anybody including your children as long as there are seats.

Commercial policies allow for passengers for which a fixed seat is provided

Advertisement