Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling and THAT Late Late Show segment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

flatface wrote: »
    But you are not seeing my point. clearance depends on speed! 1.5 is recommended for > 50kmph. If you slow down you can pass with less clearance. Just like 2 cars passing on a small road will slow to judge the pass better, a car can slow then pass slowly the group / obstacle. If there is room for oncoming traffic there is room to pass slowly.

I agree that the speed the car travels at makes a huge difference. But the MPDL proposal doesn't seem to take the speed of the car into account, just the speed limit of the area.

https://www.finegael.ie/fine-gaels-new-law-will-protect-cyclists-irish-roads/

So in a 60 or 80 kmph zone then 1.5m would still be legally needed.
    Common sense would say that cyclists wouldn't complain about a car doing 5kmph more than you and overtaking closer than 1.5m if you are cycling 4 abreast, but the law says 1.5m.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

brianomc wrote: »
    I agree that the speed the car travels at makes a huge difference. But the MPDL proposal doesn't seem to take the speed of the car into account, just the speed limit of the area.

Common sense would say that cyclists wouldn't complain about a car doing 5kmph more than you and overtaking closer than 1.5m if you are cycling 4 abreast, but the law says 1.5m.

I stand very corrected! I thought it was zoned by driver speed rather than speed limit. Goes against my common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,068 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

LennoxR wrote: »
    If you read the post in question, I was talking about the ease of overtaking cyclists more than two abreast as a cyclist.

I think you were trying to make a different point, but in any case, all I'm saying is that from whatever perspective, you should not cycle more than two abreast except on closed roads.

Yes indeed, I was talking about overtaking by car, not overtaking by bike.

How often does it happen that you have a cyclist overtaking a bunch of cyclists? Usually, those bunches are going at a fair whack, so it would want to be a fairly keen cyclists out to overtake them. Does that really happen much?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Yes indeed, I was talking about overtaking by car, not overtaking by bike.

How often does it happen that you have a cyclist overtaking a bunch of cyclists? Usually, those bunches are going at a fair whack, so it would want to be a fairly keen cyclists out to overtake them. Does that really happen much?

It happens sometimes, there are also slow groups of cyclists. It happened to me.

The point I was actually making though was that seeing groups of cyclists riding three or more abreast is actually very rare.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

AndrewJ wrote:

Happens all the time. You get a group at the tail end of spin moving that bit slower, a more social group having a natter, a group taking a slower pace on a long ride etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...How often does it happen that you have a cyclist overtaking a bunch of cyclists? Usually, those bunches are going at a fair whack, so it would want to be a fairly keen cyclists out to overtake them. Does that really happen much?
    It happens occasionally on our club touring group. There might be 12 of us on a 120k ride averaging 25-28 km/h and we'd be passed by a solo cyclist averaging 30-35km/h but probably only out for a 20/30k ride so able to push it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

brianomc wrote: »

Id have an issue with someone overtaking me at less than 1.5M, irrespective of the relative speed differential.

If Im cycling at 25 and a car is doing 30, Im still going to get run over by a car travelling at 30 if I happen to fall off or get hit during the over take.
    No thanks.

Feck it, if Im doing 5 and a car is doing 10, I still dont want them close to me in case they drive over my head.

If you cant leave 1.5M then you cant overtake.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

GreeBo wrote: »
    Id have an issue with someone overtaking me at less than 1.5M, irrespective of the relative speed differential.
    the proposed law will be 1m if under 50km/h

https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/bill/2017/22/eng@initiated/b2217d-p-c-sent.pdf
    (a) if the applicable speed limit is not more than 50 kilometres per hour a lateral
    distance from the pedal bicycle of at least 1 metre, or
    (b) if the applicable speed limit is more than 50 kilometres per hour a lateral distance
    from the pedal bicycle of at least 1.5 metres.

rubadub wrote: »

I think thats mental.

If you were stopped on the side of the road with your kids, would you be happy with a car passing you at 45kmh at only 1M?
    I sure as hell wouldnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭DKmac

I think thats mental.

If you were stopped on the side of the road with your kids, would you be happy with a car passing you at 45kmh at only 1M?
    I sure as hell wouldnt.

If there is no hard-shoulder you shouldn't really be stopped at the side of the road or on the road anyway.

• Advertisement

DKmac wrote: »
    If there is no hard-shoulder you shouldn't really be stopped at the side of the road or on the road anyway.

Thats kinda irrelevant to the point tbf.

Thats kinda irrelevant to the point tbf.

Well its not really. You wouldn't expect a car to stop where it's not viable. Similarly you shouldn't be stopped in a place where there isn't the space to pass safely.

In reality the law will only act as a deterrent and there will be very few actual convictions. Its largely dependent on Garda presence at the scene to prove guilt. People will be presenting their own videos to Gardaí but I doubt Go-pro footage will hold much water in court and very little would actually be done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Why? is it a private road? there are lots of reasons why people might have to stop (e.g. Punctures, mechanical faults etc.). As cyclists, we usually advise people to stop and move off the road into a driveway or wherever, but this is not always possible.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Why? is it a private road? there are lots of reasons why people might have to stop (e.g. Punctures, mechanical faults etc.). As cyclists, we usually advise people to stop and move off the road into a driveway or wherever, but this is not always possible.

I agree with the above you should be making efforts to get off the road if you don't feel its safe and that's a personal judgement. The same applies to all road users drivers, walkers, cyclists, horses whatever.

Personally I think 1m is fine for 50kmph. This would generally apply only to built up areas anyway where 1.5m isn't realistic and if you need to stop there more than likely is somewhere close by in these areas where you could get off the road if you don't feel safe enough at a metre.

For some people 1m isn't enough for some 1m is more than enough but the law has to draw a limit somewhere otherwise enforcement which is already going to be very difficult becomes a farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,068 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

but I doubt Go-pro footage will hold much water in court and very little would actually be done about it.
    Why not? I've had fines and penalty points issued from helmetcam footage in the past? Several US police forces use an electronic device to judge distance -maybe AGS will get one or two of those?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

In reality the law will only act as a deterrent and there will be very few actual convictions. Its largely dependent on Garda presence at the scene to prove guilt. People will be presenting their own videos to Gardaí but I doubt Go-pro footage will hold much water in court and very little would actually be done about it.
    I really don't see this being an issue/ a reason to delay. The cases where a cyclist is going to go to the trouble to submit are not going to be borderline cases, they're going to be the clear cut cases!

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I really don't see this being an issue/ a reason to delay. The cases where a cyclist is going to go to the trouble to submit are not going to be borderline cases, they're going to be the clear cut cases!

I don't think the law should be delayed at all, it should be brought in as soon as possible. I'm only pointing out that there is a very obvious difficulty in proving guilt where there isn't a Garda presence which is the vast majority of the time. Most cyclists don't carry action-cams and the onus shouldn't be on cyclists to become an unofficial Traffic Corp.
    The best outcome from this is that it makes drivers consider the cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Perhaps the Gardai will operate this themselves , like they do in the UK

http://road.cc/content/news/204164-west-midlands-police-use-cycling-officer-target-close-passing-motorists

Well its not really. You wouldn't expect a car to stop where it's not viable. Similarly you shouldn't be stopped in a place where there isn't the space to pass safely.

It is as my point was regarding the relative speed.
    If you are unhappy with the stopped analogy, how about someone walking at 2kmh being overtaken at 1M by a car doing 52kmh?

Honeslty, it doesnt matter why or how the person is stopped or moving slowly on the side of the road, the fact is they are there and someone is overtaking them at 50km/h less than 3 feet away from them. A truck or bus doing this could conceivably pull you out into the road just in time to get hit by a following car.

Its not relevant when its a car overtaking another car as cars, unlike cyclists, pedestrians, etc dont wobble, move suddenly or get noticeably influenced by the draft from passing vehicles.

It is as my point was regarding the relative speed.
    If you are unhappy with the stopped analogy, how about someone walking at 2kmh being overtaken at 1M by a car doing 52kmh?

I'd be pretty sure this happens everyday. You could be walking/standing on a footpath or waiting to cross a road and a car drive-by on the road 3ft away at 50kmph. Do you feel safe on a footpath??
    1 metre is realistic in 50kmph zones but in reality there will be traffic pinch points especially in 50kmph zones where 1 metre isn't viable and common sense needs to be enforced by both driver and cyclist. The legislation provides for more consideration to be taken on the part of drivers but isn't going to be enforceable where infrastructure dictates otherwise and drivers should not be punished for poor infrastructure.

• Advertisement

I'd be pretty sure this happens everyday. You could be walking/standing on a footpath or waiting to cross a road and a car drive-by on the road 3ft away at 50kmph. Do you feel safe on a footpath??
    1 metre is realistic in 50kmph zones but in reality there will be traffic pinch points especially in 50kmph zones where 1 metre isn't viable and common sense needs to be enforced by both driver and cyclist. The legislation provides for more consideration to be taken on the part of drivers but isn't going to be enforceable where infrastructure dictates otherwise and drivers should not be punished for poor infrastructure.

I agree with this statement regarding pinch points. Common sense dictates that the cyclist should move out and "take the lane" to ensure cars cannot pass until the cyclist is past the pinch point. the problem is....some motorists don't see it that way.

I agree with this statement regarding pinch points. Common sense dictates that the cyclist should move out and "take the lane" to ensure cars cannot pass until the cyclist is past the pinch point. the problem is....some motorists don't see it that way.

Or the driver just bloody waits until after the point!

Or the driver just bloody waits until after the point!

They never do!

edit: well, unless the driver is also a cyclist! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I was going along Benildus Avenue, heading towards the Kilmacud Luas stop, when a length of wire wrapped itself around the rear sprocket of the bakfiets. My hands were too cold to get it out, and for a little while I was stuck at the side of the road while I chopped at the wire with a small Swiss Army knife scissors. Then I got to the point where I could at least wheel the bike but I was walking along the side of the road with two kids in the bakfiets for about seven minutes until I could find a dipped kerb so I could get off the road.

No particular point, except I very recently did get stuck at the side of the road for about ten minutes or more with cars streaming past me, and there wasn't much I could do about it.

tomasrojo wrote: »

No particular point, except I very recently did get stuck at the side of the road for about ten minutes or more with cars streaming past me, and there wasn't much I could do about it.

Sorry to hear that, bit I'm guessing you didn't feel particularly comfortable while you were there? (Other than the cold!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

1 metre is realistic in 50kmph zones but in reality there will be traffic pinch points especially in 50kmph zones where 1 metre isn't viable and common sense needs to be enforced by driver . The legislation provides for more consideration to be taken on the part of drivers but isn't going to be enforceable where infrastructure dictates otherwise and drivers should not be punished for poor infrastructure.

The answer here is simple, driver waits until they can give 1m or 1.5m depending on circumstances. What is it abut waiting that's so hard for drivers to understand? They will squeeze past the most ridiculous of situations to pass you, often when the lights ahead are clearly red. It's absolutely astounding. If it's not safe to pass then don't pass!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Sorry to hear that, bit I'm guessing you didn't feel particularly comfortable while you were there? (Other than the cold!)

No, it was pretty bad for the bit where I couldn't even wheel the bike, because we were just past the corner. Terrible place to "park". I had two rear lights on the bakfiets though, and wrist lights on me, so I was probably pretty visible, except I had to crouch down to get the wire out, and also I had to simultaneously remember not to block the rear lights on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

RTE has begun to respond to people who've written complaints about the Late Late Show: (Not my Twitter profile)

https://twitter.com/PercyAutomatic/status/954031656591077376

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

I got my reply.
    Up to my knackers in work so haven't got time to go into detail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

koutoubia wrote: »
    I got my reply.
    Up to my knackers in work so haven't got time to go into detail.

Me too, looks like they sent the same email to everyone. My 'complaint' was quite detailed and personal, they didn't acknowledge any of the personal stuff in it. In fact I doubt they even read it :rolleyes:

Advertisement