Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling and THAT Late Late Show segment

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Another thing why do cyclist's tuck in behind tractors and trailers ? Directly out view of mirrors. Happened a friend of mine on a main road.
    You get a free tow out of the wind and even some help from the wind curling around the back of the trailer. If you get really close to the trailer you mightn't have to pedal at all.
    He had to stop suddenly because a car pulled out in front of him on the hard shoulder and the cyclists lamped straight into the trailer.
    OTOH, you have to be really alert and ready with the brakes. You also risk unseen potholes on irish roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

BAI rejects seven complaints against Late Late Show after item in which guests suggested cyclists should be 'binned'
    The BAI rejected the complaints on the basis that the Late Late Show is a light entertainment programme and that the comments were made as personal views by guests and the tone was “humorous and light-hearted”.

“The Members did not believe that the discussion could be reasonably considered as supporting discrimination or inciting hatred towards cyclists,” they added.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

This is appalling.

I would love to know who the members are and how many of them are drivers and how many of them are cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The complaint didn't have much chance of success. The segment was irredeemably sh1t though.

Light-hearted: "Ha, ha! I hate cyclists. Just the arrogant ones though."

tomasrojo wrote: »
    The complaint didn't have much chance of success. The segment was irredeemably sh1t though.

Light-hearted: "Ha, ha! I hate cyclists. Just the arrogant ones though."

Why shouldnt it have much of a chance.

The claim is that it incited hatred towards cyclists.....

So they are saying it didnt do that?

I'll remove that question mark.

They are saying it didnt do that.

They are wrong.

• Advertisement

Because "it was only a joke" is a defence that works all the time, except if it clearly isn't a joke, or if the "humour" is clearly secondary to having a go at a minority. People who don't get about by bike much don't see cyclists as a put-upon minority.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    This is appalling.

I would love to know who the members are and how many of them are drivers and how many of them are cyclists.

http://www.bai.ie/en/about-us/the-authority-committees-and-executive/

From the BAI regarding their decision the LLS complaints

The Committee was mindful of the provision set out in the Code of Programme Standards, in which persons and groups in society shall be represented in an appropriate and justifiable way and shall not be treated in a manner which prejudices respect for human dignity.

From the Journal.ie comments section today on the LLS piece and the BAI response.

Most cyclists are arrogant sc_mbags.

Moan moan moan

Grow a pair yiz watery shower of aul wans.

Their tight bicycling shorts prevent their pairs from growing.

nothing worse than being stuck behind a Tour de France wanna be with a sweat stain coming through the Lycra!!

the wear hi viz and dont think main roads are there for ye to cycle 3 of 4 abreast.. clowns the lot of ye

they’re total fck wits

If you are a cyclist, it really is time to just give up.......

To be fair, you'd get much the same comments if the Journal article had been about how great cycling is, or announcing the imminent start of construction of the Liffey cycle route.

There's just a constituency of really weird hateful people. I totally agree RTÉ shouldn't be pandering to these cretins, but since the perception of cyclists is middle-class white men, people have the idea that discrimination is an amusingly contrary hypothetical. Same with the constant implication in the media that red-haired men are de facto ugly.

I should make it clear that I'm very glad people formally complained and I'd have been very happy if the complaint had been successful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement