Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single parent looking to buy a home

Options
  • 13-01-2018 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Just looking for advice from someone in a similar situation. Working full time and saving for a mortgage but feeling very hopeless as prices in my area (Kildare) are currently so far and beyond what I could get for a mortgage on my own with a dependent. Want to stay near family as need the support. Was renting but prices too high now (mortgage payments would be less!) so staying with family. Feeling very stuck as earning full time puts me out of social welfare/housing payments. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ashes79

Hi. Im in the same boat in Athenry co Galway. Im a bit further on than you as ive just been approved for a mortgage in October. Keep your head up youll do it. I know its hard now but if you keep saving the amount you would be repaying on a mortgage you'll get there eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

SPurple wrote: »
    Just looking for advice from someone in a similar situation. Working full time and saving for a mortgage but feeling very hopeless as prices in my area (Kildare) are currently so far and beyond what I could get for a mortgage on my own with a dependent. Want to stay near family as need the support. Was renting but prices too high now (mortgage payments would be less!) so staying with family. Feeling very stuck as earning full time puts me out of social welfare/housing payments. Any ideas?

Have you checked for sure about housing supports? I know full time work makes you ineligible for rent supplement but there is an earning cap for council housing so you may still be under that despite working full time. Hap is similar. If you are above these caps then I suppose that's a good thing in terms of lending ability since it's based on your salary- the higher the better.

I'm in a similar situation myself,but renting so my saving capacity is limited. Try save as much as you possibly can while with family. Obvious, but it's worth saying again. Wish you all the best. The prices will go up and down so hopefully by time you are in a position to buy they may be lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 SPurple

neonsofa wrote: »
    Have you checked for sure about housing supports? I know full time work makes you ineligible for rent supplement but there is an earning cap for council housing so you may still be under that despite working full time. Hap is similar. If you are above these caps then I suppose that's a good thing in terms of lending ability since it's based on your salary- the higher the better.

I'm in a similar situation myself,but renting so my saving capacity is limited. Try save as much as you possibly can while with family. Obvious, but it's worth saying again. Wish you all the best. The prices will go up and down so hopefully by time you are in a position to buy they may be lower.

I'll check out the caps. Thanks a million for the advice.

Advertisement