Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can a Christian vote for unlimited abortion?

199100101102103105»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It was shut down on the Politics forum. I was pointed to the Conspiracy forum.

This gives you a big hint about the mindset you have. Maybe take note of it.

Next you'll be claiming the moon landing was faked and the earth is flat.... These are the logical conclusions based on your evidence no dount
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Cabaal wrote: »
    This gives you a big hint about the mindset you have. Maybe take note of it.

Next you'll be claiming the moon landing was faked and the earth is flat.... These are the logical conclusions based on your evidence no dount
    :rolleyes:

The big difference between a C. Theory and this issue is that C. Theory's tend to arise after the event: twin towers brought down by the government / moon landings faked by the government.

Citizen's Assembly: a skewed, unfit for use device arose prior to the referendum. I mean, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how representative 99 people can be.

All you have to do, for a little political manipulation is not focus on how representative is. I mean a CA of 1 citizen is "representative" to some degree or other. So when Mary Laffoy says she is fully confident the CA is representative, she's not telling fibs. She might just be disingenuous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The big difference between a C. Theory and this issue is that C. Theory's tend to arise after the event: twin towers brought down by the government / moon landings faked by the government.

Well, naturally. You can’t have a theory about there being two shooters in Vegas before there is a shooting. If you knew that here was going to be a calamity..

That said it just seems late to start contesting the CA now (or again), imho. The abortion votes by the CA happened over a year ago, the campaigns carried on and to be fair the CA wasn’t exactly a big bugbear with the No campaign leading up to the referendum.

Plus if we are to fully disregard the CA or it’s proposeals you’d want to give up the entire body of work, which includes among other things reforms to the referendum process to make it even more democratic as you have argued for:
    replacing the ad-hoc Referendum Commission with a permanent Electoral Commission, which would be "obliged to give its view on significant matters of factual or legal dispute that arise during a referendum campaign in the public domain (including on social media)"

giving equal public money to both sides in referendum campaigns, imposing spending limits for registered parties and advocacy groups, and prohibiting anonymous donations to these groups;
    allowing multiple referendums on the same day, as at present; 41.7% preferred a maximum of two simultaneously

allowing for preferendums with more than two (yes/no) options; in which case 52% preferred single transferable vote would be used to determine the outcome

allowing citizens' initiatives for bringing questions either to the Oireachtas or to a referendum
    the preferendum proposal in particular being more of what you seem to be arguing for, in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Bob_Marley wrote: »
    Shocking, or perhaps not, how the pro abortion lobby got away with exploiting that poor woman Norma McCorvey[Wade] in the Roe vs Wade case, and how she never found out the full truth untill years later.

Quoting am old post because an interesting confession from this woman came out today...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52733886
    The woman behind the 1973 ruling legalising abortion in the US is seen admitting in a new documentary that her stunning change of heart on the issue in later life was "all an act".

In her "deathbed confession", as she calls it, a visibly ailing McCorvey says she only became an anti-abortion activist because she was paid by evangelical groups.

"I was the big fish," she said. "I think it was a mutual thing. I took their money and they'd put me out in front of the cameras and tell me what to say.

"That's what I'd say. It was all an act. I did it well too. I am a good actress. Of course, I'm not acting now."

Advertisement