Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Room to rent that will accept hap

Options
  • 13-01-2018 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi. Someone i know is looking for a room to rent, he is entitled to hap and is a student in 2nd year of a degree. Loads of calls and viewings but once hap is mentioned the room is "gone"
    Does anyone know of any landlords that would be willing to accept Hap?
    Please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭KellyXX

Redadele wrote: »
    Hi. Someone i know is looking for a room to rent, he is entitled to hap and is a student in 2nd year of a degree. Loads of calls and viewings but once hap is mentioned the room is "gone"
    Please

When I was looking for a place I found that lots of people at the viewings were asking about HAP and you could instantly see the pain on the landlords face. They said, yes, but their eyes and body language were saying a big fat NO.

I found that when I was talking to landlords that the first thing I shoudl say was, I have a job, then I dont need HAP or rent allowance, and then they would chat away to me.
    Still there was too much competition though, even when you knew HAP werent going to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Redadele

Please

He can't say he is working as he is in college Kelly. There should be a website for people to go onto where LL that are accepting Hap can post so people are not chasing their tales... building hopes up... just to be left flat.

He can't say he is working as he is in college Kelly. There should be a website for people to go onto where LL that are accepting Hap can post so people are not chasing their tales... building hopes up... just to be left flat.

I think our government in their usual wisdom on the housing crisis made it illegal to mention whether or not you take hap or rent allowance when advertising property. I think its even illegal to give someone a straight answer if they ask the landlord at a viewing.

KellyXX wrote: »
    I think our government in their usual wisdom on the housing crisis made it illegal to mention whether or not you take hap or rent allowance when advertising property. I think its even illegal to give someone a straight answer if they ask the landlord at a viewing.

I thought that the government were insistent that 'LL had to? Which his why they agree in the first instance. How can they make it illegal to make it public that they accept Hap? Surely the opposite would be true as it could be classed as discrimination

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I found the only way to get a place with HAP is if you know someone who knows someone who would do it for you etc...
    If its a landlord who you don't know or know through a friend, I think they would rather someone with cash earned so theirs none of that hap paperwork to be done and alot less hassle.

Its the only way me and my gf got a place using HAP, we knew someone who knew a landlord.
    Other then that we never got a reply or as soon as I mentioned the word HAP the ll would become instantly disinterested in talking to me.

While I guess it is extra hassle considering there is so many people looking for accomodation to rent, HAP is excellent in regards the LL getting paid, no money goes through the people renting its straight from the social into the LLs account.

• Advertisement

Please

Unfortunately... We don't know any LLs... if we did I would use all measures believe me. This is what I don't understand. The hap is much better for the 'LL than the old ras... I suppose my post is also to see if there is anyone that might know of someone that would be willing to accept hap

I thought that the government were insistent that 'LL had to? Which his why they agree in the first instance. How can they make it illegal to make it public that they accept Hap? Surely the opposite would be true as it could be classed as discrimination

Well if they were allowed to say they dont take hap instead of having to keep it in their own minds and not let anyone no that they wont take it, then things would be a lot cleared for all.

Well if they were allowed to say they dont take hap instead of having to keep it in their own minds and not let anyone no that they wont take it, then things would be a lot cleared for all.

Just annoying... they have to say they do accept so your hopes go up... then suddenly... no sorry... it's actually frustrating spending time and money getting to the meeting and sweating about making a good impression... then due to hap nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭VonBeanie

A landlord cannot discriminate against a tenant or prospective tenant because they are a HAP recipient. However, if you read forums like this one, landlords find HAP difficult to interact with. Too much red tape, too difficult to deal with problems, too many headaches. So you wont find a landlord who admits not taking HAP, but there is a big chance a landlord will find one of 100 other reasons to select the tenant with a well paying full time job ahead of a HAP tenant. Its "effective discrimination", but impossible to prove. In any of the large urban centres around the country, a landlord will have a long line of possible tenants for a new letting, and its hard to stand out from the crowd.

VonBeanie wrote: »
    A landlord cannot discriminate against a tenant or prospective tenant because they are a HAP recipient. However, if you read forums like this one, landlords find HAP difficult to interact with. Too much red tape, too difficult to deal with problems, too many headaches. So you wont find a landlord who admits not taking HAP, but there is a big chance a landlord will find one of 100 other reasons to select the tenant with a well paying full time job ahead of a HAP tenant. Its "effective discrimination", but impossible to prove. In any of the large urban centres around the country, a landlord will have a long line of possible tenants for a new letting, and its hard to stand out from the crowd.

Its harder to stand out from the crowd while on jobseekers but trying to make your way in life... at college... to get a better job ... and 'LL don't even entertain it.

• Advertisement

VonBeanie wrote: »

Yeah now landlords just dont bother getting back to you if you dont get the place. They just dont tell you becasue they are afraid in refusing you they might let a reason slip where they can get sued, so they just say nothing and only call the successful applicant.
    Much prefer to know from the advert before wasting my time if there is anything that excludes me. Like no HAP, no Job, pink hair, or anything like that.

Yeah now landlords just dont bother getting back to you if you dont get the place. They just dont tell you becasue they are afraid in refusing you they might let a reason slip where they can get sued, so they just say nothing and only call the successful applicant.
    Much prefer to know from the advert before wasting my time if there is anything that excludes me. Like no HAP, no Job, pink hair, or anything like that.

If it says professional fair enough... you know they only want working people... but apart from that... it's just like the lotto

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Where is he at college and where is he looking?

Where is he at college and where is he looking?

He is in ballyfermot college. So is looking there... Lucan Drimnagh wakinstown clondalkin palmerstown crumlin even to finglas as the 40 will go that way...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Afraid that's a bit out of the area I know sorry :( Hopefully someone else will know some tips or tricks.

The mad thing is it's perfectly legal to discriminate against HAP, or any other ground for that matter, for rooms so someone could say No HAP in the advertisement, unless poor drafting has left that avenue closed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Isn’t HAP paid in arrears? So with normal rent, you pay in advance for the following month. But with HAP, the government only pay the LL after the month has elapsed. Which could leave the LL vulnerable, financially. Particularly if the tenant causes damage to the property. Plus there’s a lot of extra paperwork etc for HAP, which makes it more of a hassle.

Is he in a position to give a larger deposit, say two months? That could swing it.

Isn’t HAP paid in arrears? So with normal rent, you pay in advance for the following month. But with HAP, the government only pay the LL after the month has elapsed. Which could leave the LL vulnerable, financially. Particularly if the tenant causes damage to the property. Plus there’s a lot of extra paperwork etc for HAP, which makes it more of a hassle.

Is he in a position to give a larger deposit, say two months? That could swing it.

Nobody has ever asked that. And it is hardly like that would be offered. You pay 2 months anyway upfront.. your months rent and a month deposit. So that would be covered.
    The tenant does the paperwork. They have to fill it in and bring it to the social welfare

Advertisement