Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mooncoin or kilmacow pharmacy

Options
  • 13-01-2018 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi everyone,
    do you think that will be better have a pharmacy in Mooncoin or in Kilmacow?
    please let me know
    zantac

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Suppose it depends on many factors,
    Iis there already one in either location?
    Does either location have a GP clinic?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You are unlikely to find that Waterford city people have any great concern either way about Mooncoin and Kilmacow pharmacies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭johnsparkexile

looksee wrote: »
    You are unlikely to find that Waterford city people have any great concern either way about Mooncoin and Kilmacow pharmacies :D

with the exception of the many ex Waterford City people living in those areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

No pharmacy in either I'm afraid. There's a Mulligans pharmacy in piltown

• Registered Users Posts: 11 zantac

lassykk wrote: »
    No pharmacy in either I'm afraid. There's a Mulligans pharmacy in piltown

New houses will be built in both villages and it is a shame that more that 1000 people have to drive till waterford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭molby

Ferrbank is a 5 minute drive from Kilmacow and Mooncoin about 10. 1000 people is not going to be busy enough to keep a pharmacy going so I don't think you will see one in those palaces for quite some time or even ever.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

molby wrote: »
    Ferrbank is a 5 minute drive from Kilmacow and Mooncoin about 10. 1000 people is not going to be busy enough to keep a pharmacy going so I don't think you will see one in those palaces for quite some time or even ever.

You'd be surprised, I live in a town of around 5k and it has 4 pharmacy's, it's also the surrounding area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Have we successfully extended the county border or am I missing something here?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

The villages of North Waterford deserve a pharmacy of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

As has already been asked, is there a doctor's surgery in either town? If people have to go into Waterford to a gp, they are rather more likely to use a pharmacy in the city.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    As has already been asked, is there a doctor's surgery in either town? If people have to go into Waterford to a gp, they are rather more likely to use a pharmacy in the city.

There's a doctors surgery in Kilmacow. Couldn't say what hours they operate as I don't use it and can't speak for mooncoin.

Also, piltown is very close to mooncoin and not too far from Kilmacow either for a pharmacy. Alternatively, as mentioned ferrybank is close

I do think it is a relevant discussion in this forum as the closest alternative would be Waterford city. I do appreciate it isn't a Waterford issue per se.

lassykk wrote: »
    There's a doctors surgery in Kilmacow. Couldn't say what hours they operate as I don't use it and can't speak for mooncoin.

Also, piltown is very close to mooncoin and not too far from Kilmacow either for a pharmacy. Alternatively, as mentioned ferrybank is close

I do think it is a relevant discussion in this forum as the closest alternative would be Waterford city. I do appreciate it isn't a Waterford issue per se.

So don't you consider a community pharmacy a helpful service in these villages?

zantac wrote: »
    So don't you consider a community pharmacy a helpful service in these villages?

There's lots of things I would like in Kilmacow but I appreciate given the size of the village it's not economically viable.

It's a choice I willingly made when I chose to live here. It has some wonderful amenities not available in the village I grew up in (Slieverue)

At any rate, in the countryside, a ten minute drive for a service (distance to ferrybank) is essentially on the doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Dungarvan has a population of 8,000 and 9 pharmacies !

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭uisce33

There is a doctors surgery in Mooncoin don’t know about working hours as I don’t use it,but a pharmacy would be of benefit I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

How many pharmacys are in Tramore? its a much bigger area and there might be room for another one.

7 pharmacy in Tramore

• Registered Users Posts: 18 TPK

7 pharmacy in Tramore

4 Pharmacies in Tramore

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

I'm sure the likes of Mulligan's, Sam McCauley's and others have run the rule over these villages for potential new branches. If it was viable, they'd be open by now, the fact they aren't means it wasn't, whenever it becomes viable, they surely will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭julyjane

The pharmacy in Piltown is right beside the doctors so that helps I'm sure. If it was even a few hundred yards away people might just get in their cars and collect their prescription elsewhere. The surgery is only open Monday to Friday mornings and the retail part of the pharmacy is tiny but it's been there a good few years now so it must be viable

• Advertisement

so do you think that is bad idea open a pharmacy in mooncoin to offer a service for all people that live in kilmacow mooncoin mullinavat polerone ecc...?

so do you think that is bad idea open a pharmacy in mooncoin to offer a service for all people that live in kilmacow mooncoin mullinavat polerone ecc...?

I think Mooncoin would be the best option from the villages you list as it is still a main national primary route and there would be passing traffic regardless.

If you could get a location beside the doctors surgery in Mooncoin then I imagine you would do OK from that perspective.

I would almost guarantee though that people from Kilmacow and Mullinavat will go to Waterford for their pharmacy needs as Mooncoin is out of the way. For example it would take me as long to go to Mooncoin to a pharmacy as it would to go to one in Waterford and I would be going to work/doing grocery shopping, etc in Waterford anyway.

I'm guessing you are considering opening one and I hope your venture works out for you if you do decide to open one but I would recommend detailed market research rather than discussing here where you only get a small amount of people from the region contributing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

There are two doctors surgeries in Mooncoin but they are not fulltime. I go into Waterford more often than in the local area. A Pharmacy might do fairly well though Id say.

Do you know doctors name?

Do you know doctors name?

The Keogh practice have a surgery there but it only opens 2 hours a week

http://www.thekeoghpractice.ie/location/mooncoin/

Similar situation in Mullinavat where only open 1 hour a week

http://www.thekeoghpractice.ie/location/mullinavat/

Exceptionally short opening hours but I'm guessing that's all the demand is there

There's a Doctor Enright in Mullinavat too but I don't know his opening times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Just out of idle curiosity, why is this in the Waterford forum?
    Have we annexed South Kilkenny?

Hi everyone,
    do you think that will be better have a pharmacy in Mooncoin or in Kilmacow?
    please let me know
    zantac
    Mistake

Advertisement