Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average of pub league player

Options
  • 13-01-2018 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Hi lads and ladies

What would be a typical average for a pub team player. I've been playing the past week after a lot of years away and am averaging 45-65 depending.

I'm still finding my ideal throw and darts etc, but wondering what a decent standard might be in leagues around Dublin or kildare areas. Or how many darts is 501 being taken out in etc.

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I wouldn't be worrying about averages when it comes to pub leagues. If you can get most matches between 18-21 darts then you'll win a good few games.

For practicing my advice would be to play a leg and try and get it in 24 if you don't you lose the leg, play best out of 5. If your too good for that go down to 21 and so on. I wouldn't focus on averages too much.

In my experience a lot of players are fairly handy scorers but are poor at finishing, practice your doubles a lot it will be a huge benefit to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

As above wouldn’t worry a jot about averages. Go out play see how you get on and enjoy. It’s a great way to meet some new people and trust me if you’re knocking around a pub throwing darts someone will ask you to sign for a team sooner or later

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭minty16

gonko wrote: »
    Hi lads and ladies

What would be a typical average for a pub team player. I've been playing the past week after a lot of years away and am averaging 45-65 depending.

I'm still finding my ideal throw and darts etc, but wondering what a decent standard might be in leagues around Dublin or kildare areas. Or how many darts is 501 being taken out in etc.

Thanks all.

That would be a solid average for most mid level leagues.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Yeah 24 darts, which is a 60 average, would be competitive in a pub league. Obviously there will be better players that will stand out but you'll do well enough if you can finish in 24.

It's mostly about the finishing in pub darts so I recommend practicing a lot on doubles. Download a program on your laptop called N01. It lets you play against the computer with various difficulty levels and keeps track of all your stats. Brilliant for practicing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

As every one is saying. Less than 24 darts you will probably win more games than you lose. 18 or less is county standard.

Plenty apps on Android where you can play the computer on different levels of difficulty and track all your statistics.

If you have a webcam you can play online with people from all over the world on WDA webcam darts. You can pick your opponent based on his average.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭gonko

Thanks for all the replies. I've got a dart scorer downloaded and will chip away at improving a little before joining a team. I'd say under pressure the averages are likely to drop a bit in a match.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Thanks for all the replies. I've got a dart scorer downloaded and will chip away at improving a little before joining a team. I'd say under pressure the averages are likely to drop a bit in a match.

There'll often times be different divisions in a local league. You won't be put in with the serious players straight away.

You have to get used to playing in front of people, I started playing in a league at 18 and found it difficult at first to adjust from my bedroom board to the pub. :D

You get over it fairly quickly though. My advice would be to bring your darts down to your local and have a practice with friends or whoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

There is no subsitute for playing in a pub and playing competitive games. It's better than any practice and a lot more enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Clique

I'd say under pressure the averages are likely to drop a bit in a match.

It might suprise you but that isn't the case or at least from my own experiences. I seem to focus more once in a match so I'd say I play better. As for averages don't be worrying about them, I've seen many players who can do 10-12 dart legs no problem and then throw legs 30 darts +

Consistency is key with a lot of pub players, double hitting usually is the main thing, a lot of pub players can score well but when its down to a double its a different kettle of fish!

Get down and get playing in your local

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

Forget the app. Get yourself a chalkboard or at least piece of paper and teach yourself how to do maths quickly, will help you a lot in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭minty16

Clique wrote: »
    It might suprise you but that isn't the case or at least from my own experiences. I seem to focus more once in a match so I'd say I play better. As for averages don't be worrying about them, I've seen many players who can do 10-12 dart legs no problem and then throw legs 30 darts +

Consistency is key with a lot of pub players, double hitting usually is the main thing, a lot of pub players can score well but when its down to a double its a different kettle of fish!

Get down and get playing in your local

Never seen any dart player in my life who can throw a 'comfortable 10 darter' throw a leg of 30 plus darts.

minty16 wrote: »
    Never seen any dart player in my life who can throw a 'comfortable 10 darter' throw a leg of 30 plus darts.

You don't watch much pub or general darts then. Sure even the pro's do it so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭gifted

I played in the c division in cork city...some games were great darts...the odd treble 20...nice finish etc etc...more times than not they were brutal darts....but boy did I enjoy it...best kept secret is the darts league...brilliant crack..non stop slagging....enjoy it...it's all about having fun..( in my humble opinion)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

minty16 wrote: »

Never got the 10 , but I followed up many a 12 dart leg with a 30 dart leg.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Never got the 10 , but I followed up many a 12 dart leg with a 30 dart leg.

Best leg I've ever thrown was 10. I've got quite a few 12 darters but way more 30 darters!

gifted wrote: »
    I played in the c division in cork city...some games were great darts...the odd treble 20...nice finish etc etc...more times than not they were brutal darts....but boy did I enjoy it...best kept secret is the darts league...brilliant crack..non stop slagging....enjoy it...it's all about having fun..( in my humble opinion)

I used to play a good bit at a decent standard (played in the early boardsie comps we used to have) playing county darts pretty much ruined me and turned me off the game for a few years after losing my throw completely and couldnt even look at a T20!

Back this year playing in the local Dun Laoghaire Borough League and enjoying it once again moreso for the fun and craic with the lads but still being competitive at the same time. Its a great night out and have yet to miss a match this year because of it.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Best leg I've ever thrown was 10. I've got quite a few 12 darters but way more 30 darters!

Likewise, the 10's are certainly rarer than the 30's unfortunately!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I had a dart for a 12 darter that I missed and have had a few 14 dart legs. Most recently at the weekend followed by a leg in the high 20's which I kicked off with a 26.

According the my darts trainer app, which is by far the best darts app i've used, I played 9 legs on Sunday with an avg just shy of 70 a best of a 16 dart leg and 9/41 at doubles. Not even bdo standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Clique wrote: »
    I used to play a good bit at a decent standard (played in the early boardsie comps we used to have) playing county darts pretty much ruined me and turned me off the game for a few years after losing my throw completely and couldnt even look at a T20!

Back this year playing in the local Dun Laoghaire Borough League and enjoying it once again moreso for the fun and craic with the lads but still being competitive at the same time. Its a great night out and have yet to miss a match this year because of it.

Played Borough for years, loved it! Best league I've ever played in. Also played County. Was good experience but never really tried to make the county team since. 2013 was the year I played I think.

Moved away and playing in a local league in wexford, terrible league, badly ran in every way possible lol

Edit: took me a couple of minutes to cop on who you are ;)

Advertisement