Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Man City - SS 4pm on Sunday 14th January 2018

• 13-01-2018 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

Massive game, City have a woeful record at Anfield winning only once in 20 odd years there. However the reverse earlier fixture which saw City win 5-0 should serve as a confidence booster as well as the fact they are unbeaten in the league so far this season.

This is a new era for Liverpool as their fans look forward to seeing how the team can cope without Coutinho. City won't be sad to see the back of him given his great goal scoring record against them.

City team more or less pick themselves as can't imagine Pep fielding anything less than his strongest available team. Probable lineup:

Ederson, Walker, Otamendi, Stones, Delph, Fernandinho, De Bruyne, Silva, Sane, sterling, Aguero.

Liverpool probable lineup: erm... Mignolet, Gomez, Matip, Van Dijk, Robertson, Can, Milner, lallana, mane, salah, firmino.

Should be a cracker...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,013 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Forget the match it's all about this being sung.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I want a City win, and thankfully city will crush pool easily as they're a much better team.

3-0 city won

City by at least 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,436 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

City have an atrocious record at Anfield. Granted they were crap for many of those years but even since they fell into oil money a decade ago it hasn't got any better. That said this is undoubtedly the best side they have had and Liverpool have lost a star player in Coutinho,

Score draw I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I want a City win, and thankfully city will crush pool easily as they're a much better team.

3-0 city won

Well your usually wrong about everything you say, so I'm quiet hopeful now after hearing this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    City by at least 4
    Have you spent this afternoon finishing off those licquers that were left over after Christmas? I'd love a 4 goal win, but I can't see it. I'd rip your arms off for a 1 goal win right now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭emo72

Liverpool without a doubt will win this. So much to prove. Revenge for the 5 nil? First match without coutinho are we capable of stepping up? They are unbeaten? All that pales into insignificance when compared to the miracle highs our new song will bring us to. Anfield will be rocking tomorrow. Only a Liverpool win in my tealeaves lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,641 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Pep’s high line playing directly into Liverpool’s main 3 hands,

Pool by 2 to inflict the first defeat of the league on citt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,591 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

City play with two creative midfielders and one defensive one, we could be starting with 3 defensive ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Score draw for me.

I think we'll test City big time but they're a quality side so I think they'll nab a draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,591 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Unless City are going to park the bus, things should be easy for Liverpool. We are lethal against open minded teams when on song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

All depends on the first goal (if scored), if City get it - 4 me it will be an embarrassment by at least 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Big Virgil is apparently injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If any team in the league has the tools to beat city it's Liverpool. Defence and a pretty sterile midfield need to have a great game to have any chance. It'll be free flowing attacking football all around though, there will be little bus parking or man marking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,207 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Yeah, VVD has a tight hammer apparently so he's not being risked. Big loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Liverpool largely played on the counter attack against sevilla in Seville in that first half. At Dortmund klopp would often resort to it. Given that trouncing they got last time out against city I wouldn't be surprised if they're more conservative and rely on Salah and Mane in 1 v1s on the break.

Nil nil is 19/1. I have never seen odds that big.

• Hoping for a draw here

Either that or for City to hammer Liverpool

A red card would be nice too or some contraversy over a decision for an added bonus

• niallo27 wrote: »
    Nil nil is 19/1. I have never seen odds that big.

Worth a punt! It would be sickening for sky also as there hyping this one up

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Hoping for a draw here

Either that or for City to hammer Liverpool

A red card would be nice too or some contraversy over a decision for an added bonus

Would a city win not be better for you guys or do you still think it's possible.

• Advertisement

Would a city win not be better for you guys or do you still think it's possible.

Personally I'd laugh more if city hammer Liverpool

Surely you know the league is over at this stage anyway?

The top 4 cup is all that's going on

Personally I'd laugh more if city hammer Liverpool

Surely you know the league is over at this stage anyway?

The top 4 cup is all that's going on

Ya thats why I was wondering why you were hoping for a draw.

Ya thats why I was wondering why you were hoping for a draw.

Meh, that's more the off chance of cutting the gap but realistically we all know the league is done

Tbh any result today is enjoyable :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,207 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Meh, that's more the off chance of cutting the gap but realistically we all know the league is done

Tbh any result today is enjoyable :P

Any result? You'd be happy for Pool to win 3-0? Fair play! :P

Worth a punt! It would be sickening for sky also as there hyping this one up
    That's what Sky do though. They have lots of previous for it. Look at the BS around the last two Liverpool/utd games at Anfield. "Red Monday" last season, wasn't it? And they turned out to be two dreadful games. Let's hope today's lives up to the hype.

Though I'd gladly take a dreary 1-0 win right now, thank you very much!

• fyfe79 wrote: »
    Any result? You'd be happy for Pool to win 3-0? Fair play! :P

That would mean city got a spanking
    So yes that also :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Close game I think. Think City will have too much firepower for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Think any points today can be considered bonus points as all the other teams going for top 4 still have to play City again.

Seems to be a line of thought that City are slowing down and just getting across the line in some games but the last time I watched them was against United and they were comfortable in second gear throughout and could turn it up a notch when required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Can see Pep going with one of his no striker formations today and bringing in Ilkay into midfield.

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Think any points today can be considered bonus points as all the other teams going for top 4 still have to play City again.

Seems to be a line of thought that City are slowing down and just getting across the line in some games but the last time I watched them was against United and they were comfortable in second gear throughout and could turn it up a notch when required.
    You summed up the united game pretty well there. To be fair though, that is nowhere near our hardest away game these days. We win there pretty regularly now. As opposed to Anfield, where we regularly get the square root of **** all. Today will be totally different, as Liverpool will ask questions of us (particularly our defence) that united just weren't prepared to do. Plus, Liverpool fans won't put up with a similar approach to what the united fans were happy with. Our hardest games this season have been against teams that have had a go at us. Liverpool in the first 20 odd minutes at our place, the away game at Palace and Bristol City the other night. And Liverpool WILL have a go today. The prospect of Salah and Mane running at our defence does not thrill me. I don't hold out much hope for today.

blueser wrote: »
    The prospect of Salah and Mane running at our defence does not thrill me. I don't hold out much hope for today.

You're not a very knowlegable City/football fan if this is actually the case.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Go on then;enlighten me. Have I missed news of either of them being out injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

Can see Pep going with one of his no striker formations today and bringing in Ilkay into midfield.

Aguero will most likely start. Can't see pep benching him.

Aguero will most likely start. Can't see pep benching him.
    Yep 4-5-1 will probably be the call today. Dinho sitting in front of the back 4, with Ilkay or Bernardo in central midfield alongside Kev and Dave (assuming he isn't back in Spain on family business).

Go on then;enlighten me. Have I missed news of either of them being out injured?

No, the fact you don't hold out much hope. City are favourites by any measure. How anyone could have watched both these sides this year and come to that assessment is baffling, and with respect Liverpool have been pretty good but City are overwhelmingly superior to the rest. To not have much hope in this situation lacks a fundamental ability to access relative qualities of the sides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,454 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

He's actually one of the more knowledgeable City fans I've come across. Usually very fair in his assessment of performances and results.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    He's actually one of the more knowledgeable City fans I've come across. Usually very fair in his assessment of performances and results.

Perhaps but in this instance that comment was nonsensical.

No, the fact you don't hold out much hope. City are favourites by any measure. How anyone could have watched both these sides this year and come to that assessment is baffling, and with respect Liverpool have been pretty good but City are overwhelmingly superior to the rest. To not have much hope in this situation lacks a fundamental ability to access relative qualities of the sides.
    I was going by the fact that Liverpool are the side most likely (arguably, Spurs as well) to have a go at us. And that scenario has been the one that has given us most "problems" so far this season. Or is that nonsense as well? I'm not sure what your problem is with me, that caused you to have a pop. I gave a fair, and honest, assessment of my opinion on our chances today. There was no need for you to have a dig at me. But, come later this evening, I hope you're right and that I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

Our record at Anfield is absolutely dire. Viewpoint is understandable given that. Can't see us winning either, think it will be a draw.

I was going by the fact that Liverpool are the side most likely (arguably, Spurs as well) to have a go at us. And that scenario has been the one that has given us most "problems" so far this season. Or is that nonsense as well? I'm not sure what your problem is with me, that caused you to have a pop. I gave a fair, and honest, assessment of my opinion on our chances today. There was no need for you to have a dig at me. But, come later this evening, I hope you're right and that I'm wrong.

It's nothing to do with who's right or who's wrong at the end of the game, anything can happen over 90 mins. The point is after having watched both these sides this season, if you're coming into this particular tie with little hope from a City standpoint your judgement is very flawed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

City win 3-1 Sterling Aguero KDB with the goals,Salah on the other end scores.

It's nothing to do with who's right or who's wrong at the end of the game, anything can happen over 90 mins. The point is after having watched both these sides this season, if you're coming into this particular tie with little hope from a City standpoint your judgement is very flawed.
    Fine. You're perfectly entitled to your opinion. As am I. Without people slagging me (or you) off for having those opinions. Try to remember that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

With Van Dijk not fit I think advantage has swung back into City's court. I can't see Liverpool keeping them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

It's not purely based on this seasons form though is it. City have a very poor record at Anfield and that can feed into supporters expectations for the game.

Personally I think it's about time City did win at Anfield and this is the season they are best placed to do so. But I still expect this to be a very big test for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Fine. You're perfectly entitled to your opinion. As am I. Without people slagging me (or you) off for having those opinions. Try to remember that.

The sanctity of an opinion... :rolleyes:

This idea that everyone is entitled to their opinion = everyone's opinion is equally correct is an unfortunately common fallacy.

If you had simply said something like you give Liverpool a good chance of winning, or you were fearful of Salah running at the City defence that would have been very reasonable. Instead you said you don't hold much hope for City today which is patently illogical and any light mocking you receive for it is well earned.

Milkers wrote: »

This idea that everyone is entitled to their opinion = everyone's opinion is equally correct is an unfortunately common fallacy.

If you had simply said something like you give Liverpool a good chance of winning, or you were fearful of Salah running at the City defence that would have been very reasonable. Instead you said you don't hold much hope for City today which is patently illogical and any light mocking you receive for it is well earned.
    If you can show me where I said "everyone's opinion is equally correct", please do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Its years of being a city fan, non city fans never understand “typical city” and i believe this is where blueser is coming from. Im in the same mindset as him for todays game, of course we are a better team but we have to lose eventually. This one is the one that has a loss all over it for me, one win in my lifetime at anfield tells me that and we have played some dier teams in that time and we have been in sparkling form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

Milkers wrote: »

Who ****ing thinks that? Do you understand what the word opinion means?

Maybe this will help.
    a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

If you can show me where I said "everyone's opinion is equally correct", please do.
    Who ****ing thinks that? Do you understand what the word opinion means?

Maybe this will help.

Strawman arguments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Masala

ah lads..... I cant keep coming in here to read this mumbo-jumbo !!!

Stick to the soccer... take the Freudian stuff elsewhere.

COYBIB....

• Advertisement
Advertisement