Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spinach

Options
  • 13-01-2018 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭

Found a few bags of frozen spinach in the bottom of the freezer, its close to the end of its freezer life. We don't like it warm much. Anyone have any simple ideas for using this up?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

It works great in spinach & ricotta canelloni, just make sure you squeeze as much water as possible out after it thaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭4Ad

Boil the spinach, meanwhile slowly fry onions. Squeeze as much water out of the spinach when boiled, add to the onions and add creme fraiche and a squeeze of lemon..
    I put this into wraps..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Saag paneer? https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/saag-paneer
    One of my favourites, but unfortunately the husband really loathes spinach...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Salmon wrapped in Spinach is a very nice dish

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

4Ad wrote:
    Boil the spinach

I really wouldn't recommend boiling frozen spinach, it's already cooked and chopped.

Tbh, I wouldn't even boil fresh spinach but that's just a matter of personal preference.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

You could make a Spanish style omelette, with grated potatoes, onions, spinach (thawed, squeezed, chopped).

This can then be cut into slices and eaten at room temperature if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

I put spinach into nearly everything I eat ... stews Currys omelette quiche, get rid of as much liquid as possible and add to many a dish

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭twignme

It has to be Spanakopita. Layers of crispy phyllo pastry, feta cheese and spinach. This is great as one big pie or smaller triangles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭Corvo

I pop frozen spinach into the Nutri Bullet for smoothies, with celery, apple, avocado, lemon juice and water.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭treenytru

Fry off some onion and garlic.
    Add defrosted spinach.
    Add can of canellini beans and some stock
    Blend
    Grating of nutmeg adds a nice touch at the end

Viola - delish, healthy white bean spinach soup

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Ted Plain

This is a lovely recipe:

2010 Cooking Club Week 46: Butternut Squash and Chickpea Curry

OK, it says to use fresh spinach, but I've made it with the frozen stuff, adding it in at the very end.

The flatbreads in that recipe are great and really easy to make!

Advertisement