Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patio advice required!

Options
  • 13-01-2018 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

Hi,

As you can see from the attached pics we need a patio to replace the decking which is no longer viable.

We'd like to get patio slabs (https://tinyurl.com/yc8ej2d3) laid at the same level as the decking ie no step down from the patio doors. We havent decided to go out 2/3 slabs yet ie 1.2 or 1.8 metres.

Can someone who knows clarify if we would need to get concrete poured to go under the slabs? We will need a step on either side for the side passage and also a step on to the grass.

If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Buyingcar2012

More pics

edit

edit

We'd also like this done in the bottom right corner of the garden as that's the area what gets the most sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Could be wrong, but our slabs were laid on a dry sand/cement mix. This is raked very evenly. The slabs are grouted with a wet mix.

Water John wrote: »
    Could be wrong, but our slabs were laid on a dry sand/cement mix. This is raked very evenly. The slabs are grouted with a wet mix.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kFKSi9M0p4A

I thought this way was correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kFKSi9M0p4A

I thought this way was correct.

That youtube video is of the installation of pattern printed concrete which is different from standard paving slabs and also different from the outdoor porcelain tiles that there is a link to in the opening post. The video shows the printed concrete system being layed completely level so there might be trouble with channeling water in heavy rain after construction particularly if you are talking about having your paving level with your back door. As a rule of thumb paving should always have a slight slope away from the house to avoid water being channeled into the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I was advised that we would need poured concrete. Tile Merchant are also complete cowboys in my experience. We were looking at a product and didn't cop all the 'reviews' were for the day after we went in there looking. They also advised us the tiles would not need concrete something (the equally cowboy) landscaper disagreed with - he wasn't making any money off the concrete, so it's about the one thing I do trust him on. Tiles that we got where poorly cut and several have cracked. You shouldn't experience that with porcelain but be on your guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

This site has all you need to know about paving.

Advertisement