Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I used to be with it

13»

Comments

The English language is fucked
    On a similar note, has anyone seen this travesty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

wakka12 wrote: »
    I think the opening line is a quote from some show or movie

In work a while back, some lad started a line with 'did you ever see the Simpsons,..' like it was some obscure show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I had become old.

So lads, when did "it" change for ye?

I married at 28 and a few weeks later popped into a nearby sports club and joined a few lads in their late teens and early twenties to throw a few shots of basketball. Taking my leave to go home I said "good night, lads" and one of them responded "good night, sir."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

So you think your not with it!?
    Come with me on a nightshift and let me know if you'd still like to be 'with it'....
    If the drinking wasn't there to the extent that it is, and maybe if most of them had some sort of DIY skills.. Then maybe I'd like to be with it also........
    But at the moment I'm grand as I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I was talking about soccer players with a guy I worked with and played GAA with. He had never heard of Roberto Baggio. He was 1 for USA 94.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

gilmour wrote: »
    Ha. Straight up fire = LIT AF = Lit as **** = hot = trendy.

100 = 100/100 = the best that best could be. The littest of all ****ing fires.

Thats how my brain worked those algorithms out anyway.

Turns out when i asked the teenagers, they're basically speaking emojis, the 100 emoji is something i'd see on twitter since then, but they actually use to describe something in regular conversation. "Its so 100" "Its straight up FIRE" "Its LIT AF". The last one being more worrying than the rest as they actually don't say "as ****" instead they say AFFFF.

These are the future lads and lassies, buckle up because its going to get messy.

I literally need to print this out and carry it around in my wallet for future reference. Any other information for us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

erica74 wrote: »
    I literally need to print this out and carry it around in my wallet for future reference. Any other information for us?
    Nobody prints things out any more and nobody carries wallets. The thing to do now is take a photo of everything and carry your money in your armpit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

seamus wrote: »
    Nobody prints things out any more and nobody carries wallets. The thing to do now is take a photo of everything and carry your money in your armpit.

As I typed it I actually thought to myself do young people print things anymore or carry wallets:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,074 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

When a lad at work didn't know who Pamela Anderson.

When I started matching with people on online dating sites with "All my kids are over 18" in their profile. That made me stop and think, the first time I saw it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Thats how dating sites work, they,ll show you or match you with people roughly the same age as you.
    The average 40 year old man doe,s not want to go out with a 18 year
    old girl.
    Once you are over 30 ,it,s impossible to be with it.
    Each generation has its own music, style, and idols.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

david75 wrote: »
    Two little scrotes came up to me last week and said ‘mister have you got a light?’
    I proceeded to try tell them in a big brother friendly kinda way lads you’re too young to be smoking and I caught myself just as they did

Officially no longer with it. Probably happened ages ago and I didn’t even realise
    They called me mister ffs

Recently on a flight to the UK. I was sitting in the aisle seat and the steward bumped my elbow on the arm rest as he passed. As he did so he said "Pardon me, ma'am."

:eek::eek::eek:

MA'AM? I'm not a fcuking granny, ffs!

Was horrified!

Someone else called me ma'am recently too. I hate it. I have literally only heard very elderly ladies be called that up until now. I'm not even 30 yet! :mad:

riclad wrote: »
    Thats how dating sites work, they,ll show you or match you with people roughly the same age as you.
    The average 40 year old man doe,s not want to go out with a 18 year
    old girl.
    Once you are over 30 ,it,s impossible to be with it.
    Each generation has its own music, style, and idols.
    When I realised I wasn't with it, I was 23 I believe
    Yeah every generation is gonna be different but can people remember the turning point between having a reasonable knowledge of what was popular to being completely out of the loop :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

When I too realized I was on neither Snapchat nor Instagram. Like you I just don't see the appeal. I hardly even post on Facebook anymore.

I have no idea what the 'youth' are into either and have recently found myself having to ask my 20 year old brother what certain slang words he uses mean.

It's official - at 31 years of age I am an auld one!

I had to ask my nephew what thot was, i to thought 31 wasnt old :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

irishman86 wrote: »
    I had to ask my nephew what thot was, i to thought 31 wasnt old :(

I had to Google that... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

riclad wrote: »
    The average 40 year old man doe,s not want to go out with a 18 year old girl.

*puts down Times and arches eyebrow..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

It all began with LOL for me.

I was only mid 20's but I knew I wasn't right for that world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Unlike most posters here..
    I don't rate the young people at all in any way, some of you seem to think they're cool!?
    Anyway I say it as it is.
    Most haven't even got hands to wipe their arsés.
    Which makes me quite content with NOT being 'with it'...

Ohhhh and lots are drinking above and beyond what would be expected for such young ages.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I work with teenagers.
    I keep thinking I'm "with it" albeit on the fringes of "it", as a spectator, only to be reminded that I really am not. That's fine, I take it on the chin like a trooper.

So I try to get them to teach me things so I'm more "alongside it", but to be honest half the time I don't even understand their explanations, I just nod "ah oh alright yeah".

I'm at a stage in my career where I taught some of these kids' Mums and Dads. Always a bit of a shock to the system when you find out.

Last week I had to explain to two young boys what the yellow pages meant/were. So I explained the whole idea, what phonebooks were for, that they were dropped outside your door ... except of course, half way through the explanation I realized they were fuzzy on the whole landline business.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

When Vlogging and Influencing became a 'thing'.

• Advertisement

I don't understand social influencers. Why would I care what a random person thinks about anything at all? I don't get the appeal of snapchat, and when I see people with selfie sticks I wonder what's so important about the moment that it needs to be recorded, because usually I can't see it. I don't take pictures nearly as often as almost everyone I know. I've never 'followed' anyone on anything and I think Twitter seems a bit of a cesspit that I don't understand the appeal of and don't care to explore. But, and I mean it sincerely, if other people enjoy any or all of those things then that's fine by me, its just not for me. I don't get it - but that's my issue and not theirs.

The older I get (I just turned 31) the less I care about what I see as passing trends. Maybe I'm just old before my time.

I knew it was all over for me when someone took their phone out in the cinema and I heard myself react with an annoyed 'Tsk!' and an eye roll for good measure. That'll learn 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The sure sign of not being with it anymore is not that you don't understand new phrases like 'social media influencer', it's that you couldn't care less what they mean and you can't be arsed googling it to find out.

Or, when your fam got turnt AF last night and they shook AF this morning and litch can't get out of the cot. Not able for the sesh fam.

Fcuk the whole way off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I looked at facebook for the first time in months and I haven't got a clue how to use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭worded

When the guards start to look really young
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbebjUYItKw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I have no clue what anyone under 35 is talking about and I have less interest. :pac:

• Advertisement

Unlike most posters here..
    I don't rate the young people at all in any way, some of you seem to think they're cool!?...

Cool?? They're brain-damaged, is what they are. Apparently they're eating piglet-feed and smoking detergent tablets, and whenever they try to type something line-noise emerges. And what is all this shit about gin??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

When people started to speak some other dialect rather than english......

Yo, that's sick AF bro! DAB

I'm 35 and in college, and we were talking about when they did their leaving cert. I said I was last of the millenium and did mine in 1999 to which I was told "I was 4"

When my kids started dabbing, and want to spend more time watching videos of people play roblox rather than play it themselves.

Snapchat, instagram and so on. What's the point? To pretend like you're life is better than it is? I get facebook just about but that's it. I use twitter for news.....

When being a "Social Media Influencer" became a career

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭21Savage

You guys think way too into it. Instagram is a joke nowdays with the social influencers and 'personalities' calling themselves athletes when they go to gym a few times a week lol but for regular people they just wanna share what they were doing. everyone is well aware that it's a snapshot in time and that peoples lives come across way more eventful but who cares? I love when my friends and acquaintances upload a cool picture of themselves.

21Savage wrote: »
    You guys think way too into it. Instagram is a joke nowdays with the social influencers and 'personalities' calling themselves athletes when they go to gym a few times a week lol but for regular people they just wanna share what they were doing. everyone is well aware that it's a snapshot in time and that peoples lives come across way more eventful but who cares? I love when my friends and acquaintances upload a cool picture of themselves.

Speak for yourself, puny person. I have a swollen Brah.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

I'm 35 and in college, and we were talking about when they did their leaving cert. I said I was last of the millenium and did mine in 1999 to which I was told "I was 4"

As someone who is quite clearly not with it - could you explain what that even means?

• Advertisement

As someone who is quite clearly not with it - could you explain what that even means?

He was talking to someone who was born in 1995, and is therefore now 22, possibly 23?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,074 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

One of their classmates was born in 1995.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

21Savage wrote: »

But this is the part I don't get : occasionally, if they're dressed up for a wedding or some such, fair enough it's interesting to see what your acquaintances and friends look like. Other than that... I don't understand how you find it interesting to look at people striking one pose out of a range of 5 or so favourite poses, in a circumstance that is likely very similar to one seen the week previous, ie. with a drink in hand in a bar, with a scatter of friends in a bathroom selfie, with a scatter of friends with a drink by the pool in Ibiza all the way down a selfie stick ...

Now when my older friends post albums of their voyages to foreign places, that's something I find interesting.
    Repetitive selfies and filtered pics of dainty food or cocktail glasses, that's pointless, unless your whole purpose in life is to navel gaze and compare yourself to others, rather than learn about the world around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

One of their classmates was born in 1995.

Oh sorry I thought they told you that you were four and being four must be some new term for being old or uncool that I hadn't heard of, completely went over my head apologies! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

When I went back to college at 35. I mentioned one day the Christmas Eve storm in 1997, and a classmate replied "Mam and dad still talk about that too."

I remember that. You couldn't hear the hoover for the wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Candie wrote: »
    I don't understand social influencers. Why would I care what a random person thinks about anything at all? ...

you post a lot on an anonymous discussion forum though :pac:

Also, the whole gin thing. I tried it once years ago it was vile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Twitter. Came installed on my phone. Couldnt be arsed learning how to use it.

So it was whenever that started. It was the first new tech that i didn't get myself into.

Advertisement