Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning in AH

Options
  • 13-01-2018 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭

I wish to contest a yellow warning I have recieved in a thread in After Hours.

The post is linked below.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105825577&postcount=30

It was meant to be sarcasm but has not come across that way. It has been reported by some and it has been actioned by AH Mods.

I have discussed this with Buford T Justice V and he agrees with the other users. Tbh, Im hesitant to the need to add a 'rolleyes' emoticon to highlight the intended sarcasm, it should have been very clear due to the context but I should have included it.

If users think I was seriously calling the kid a 'terrorist' then thats fine, for a Mod not to realise it was sarcasm, thats not fine.

Im not a model poster but Im not accepting a card for this post. For the card to be upheld you must believe I was calling the kid a terrorist. I appeal the yellow warning.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

For the record, has the mod confirmed that they will no longer entertain the appeal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

I cannot confirm that. PM's exchanged.

13 Jan 2018 / 17:15

"Dear Barry Badrinath,

You have been warned for being uncivil.

Typically, this means that you are posting in a needlessly aggressive or confrontational manner being disruptive on the forum or causing stress for the other members. We don't want that here.

For more information please refer to the Boards.ie FAQ.

Buford T. Justice V

Moderator Note

Totally unnecessary. She's a child. No more of this rubbish, please!"
    Barry Badrinath: 17:24

"It was sarcasm. I dont think the child is a terrorist.

Can we not do sarcasm anymore?"

BTJV: 17:56

"Tbh, it doesn't read as sarcasm. And reported posts are tending to confirm this so I'm not the only one.".

Barry Badrinath: 18:08

"I see where you are coming from.

I will edit the post and insert a 'sarcasm' emoticon and will I will open up a thread in dispute resolution in a few minutes.

Have a good one."

I have had no further communication with the Mod despite him being active since the PM exchange.

His second PM suggests he agrees with the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thanks for sharing. Look, you never really asked him if he would consider lifting the card. The conversation ended with you saying you’re going to DRP,

But in the interests of moving this along, I’ll ask a CMod to review now.

dudara wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing. Look, you never really asked him if he would consider lifting the card. The conversation ended with you saying you’re going to DRP,

But in the interests of moving this along, I’ll ask a CMod to review now.

Thanks for the reply. Just a few points.

1. The act of me PM'ing him to explain the intent of my post was indeed my appeal to reverse the warning. It may have lacked specifics but it was implied.

2. His reply stated he agreed with the reporters of the post that it was taken at face value and was actionable.

3. My reply stating my intent to open a DR was based on my interpretation of point 2 above, that there was no room to negotiate.

Thank you for requesting a CMod to look at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Thanks for the info Barry.
    I will investigate this.

Many Thanks,

LEIN

• Advertisement

LEIN wrote: »
    Thanks for the info Barry.
    I will investigate this.

Many Thanks,

LEIN

Hi LEIN,

Its only a minor card and I would normally accept it and move on but it has been awarded out of context.

Thanks for looking at it, whatever way it pans out for me.

Any progress with this LEIN?

Apologies Barry, flat out at the moment.
    Please bare with me.

LEIN wrote: »
    Apologies Barry, flat out at the moment.
    Please bare with me.

Ah no hassle at all, theres no rush, its only the internet.

Okay, I have reviewed and had a chat with the Mods.

I have to say, on reading through that thread, your post did not have a sarcastic tone at all.
    If you are going to be sarcastic, I would suggest that you make it very obvious from the start.
    I see you edited your post to say 'sarcastic post' after receiving the warning.
    If it was sarcastic or meant as a joke, it was in extremely poor taste.

In this case, I feel the correct action was taken by the Mod.
    The sanction for such a post could have been a lot worse.

I would suggest that you be more careful in the delivery of your posts to avoid Mod actions.

Warning upheld.

Apologies again for the delay and thanks for your patience.

LEIN

• Advertisement

Thanks for looking at this.

Respectfully, I am the author of the post and I am telling you it was intended as sarcasm. That is not open to debate, emoticon or no emoticon.

It is however, open to interpretation. The Mod has incorrectly interpreted it as an uncivil post.

I then edited the post with the addition "sarcastic", to show intent and tone, to which I had informed the Mod by PM before opening this thread.

You have read the thread with my edited post which indicates sarcasm. How can you now tell me that it was not sarcasm? It was initially posted as sarcasm, it was intended as sarcasm.

You guys have picked up on the lack of tone but have failed to take into account the context of the thread.

The post was highlighting the ludacris hate targeting of a Muslim child and by proxy, a "terrorist". The potential motivation for the crime and subject of the thread, which has since been judged as an untruth.

My lack of use of an emoticon, which is the core issue, should not result in any Mod action and is absurd. You would be warning people all day, every day with 50/50 posts and no emoticon. You dont do this because you apply reasoning which is developed from context....not what was done this time.

Im not trying to get away with a yellow card, its a yellow card!

In your response you state..."In this case, I feel the correct action was taken by the Mod.
    The sanction for such a post could have been a lot worse."...that is a very clear contradiction. You agree it warranted a yellow card but tell me you also think it could have warranted something more extreme when all it should have warranted is an emoticon.

Due to the initial Mod action and your response, I kindly request an Admin review but I thank you for the time dedicated to this.

Actually,

Disregard my last post and scrap the Admin review. With the state of the site nowadays, I hold no faith in bouncing it up the chain of command for a truely impartial assessment, as I know the result wont change.

I do not accept the card, you guys were wrong on this one.

Thank you for taking the time and I hope I wont be here again.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Are you sure you don't want an admin review?

Hi Hullaballoo.

Thanks for the offer but I will decline. Enough time has been wasted over this.

To be brutally honest, if I progress the contestation, I can only see an Admin review being used to delve into my past accounts of 10 years, tally up my priors and use them to beat me with to justify the current yellow warning and prove the Mod/CMod were right.

Id rather not end up being threatened with a siteban unless I post with 100% crystal clarity from now on...which Im sure everyone else must.

Now, it may not have ended that way but Im here long enough to see a common trend over these things.

So again, thanks for the offer but I will decline.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement