Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best way to keep vacant house good?

• 13-01-2018 9:00pm
    Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

hello,

its a large house. The windows can be opened half an inch but still locked if you know what I mean.
    Or is it better to leave windows fully sealed and run the heating for a bit every day?
    House has now been empty for a 12 months.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

Had a similar situation, kept house closed up,opened the internal doors and ran a dehumidifier. Great job. As I wouldnt be around to empty water container I put the dehumidifier on the kitchen worktop and put the drain hose into the sink

• Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭eamon11

thanks mike,

I wonder if ventilation via the partially opened windows would be enough? Or if this would allow moist air in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I'd go with the dehumidifier over leaving windows partially open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

Have house empty long time now, windows left partially opened in the dormer rooms, attic door left opened, water tanks are drained, water turned off at the meter, all Internal doors are kept wide open. Air flows through the house, never an issue with damp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Steer55 wrote: »
    Have house empty long time now, windows left partially opened in the dormer rooms, attic door left opened, water tanks are drained, water turned off at the meter, all Internal doors are kept wide open. Air flows through the house, never an issue with damp.

Sorry for butting in, but as the executor of a late relative's estate I am going to be faced with an empty house until it is sold. Tenants moving in three weeks time. Not being re let.

The tips are great.

But could I ask those of you with unoccupied properties how you insure the property. The insurance company of my relative's house said all would be OK until renewal time (May), but after that fire only cover is available for an empty property.

I know I can ring around and check other insurers, but I just wondered if you had any experience of this issue. Or maybe you weren't bothered!

Either way thanks if you can throw out something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Similar situation , Mum in hospital for months and then probate sale which worked out to our advantage in the end.

We got 80k more for the house than planned because I had time to repaint inside and out, clean up garden, clean kitchen and bedroom units and absolutely remove every stick of furniture and personal effects from the house before the final viewings and sale.

We had three or four different bidders and got the price up well beyond the initial estimate.

I put the central heating on a timer and had circulating fans, also on timers to ensure airing. Also de-cobwebbed once a week and mowed front and back etc.

In the end I douse the back garden with glyphosphate in the non lawn areas to keep weeds down.

The fact that the buyers could see the true size of the house, freshly painted walls and woodwork etc meant we got a good price for the house on good interest from multiple competing buyers.

I am reminded of a custom among Leitrim people with departed neighbours thatched cottages who used to keep a turf fire burning in the hearth awaiting the return of the emigrated neighbours. Some had planned a temporary emigration, others never came back. The houses and their roofs would have collapsed from mould and rot if not kept heated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

Kidd insurance and Allianze insurance do vacant house insurance, they insist on certain criteria been met. I have dealt with Kidd mostly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Steer55 wrote: »
    Kidd insurance and Allianze insurance do vacant house insurance, they insist on certain criteria been met. I have dealt with Kidd mostly.

Thanks for that. Much appreciated.

Advertisement