Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lunchboxes and airport security

Options
  • 13-01-2018 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows if airport security would have any issue with bringing empty lunch boxes/food storage containers in handluggage?

Similarly would there be any issues with say bringing salad or pasta etc in a box?
    I'm not sure if these are subject to the 100mls rule?
    Google hasn't been very forthcoming with an answer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

Empty lunch boxes are fine.

For salad/pasta it probably depends on how much liquid/dressing is in there, might show up in the x-ray then. Not sure if they'd have an issue with that though. If you want to be safe, put the dressing in a little container and put that in your liquids bag, and only mix later.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Unless there's a lot of liquid it'd be fine. I've brought omelettes through no hassle.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

One caveat, there are significant restrictions with USA flights on "food", so check their site for the specifics, as some things will be refused by US customs, even if you don't intend to disembark before eating, so you may get through airport security only to then run into issues with the US border checks.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

The only slight issue I've had is with double, walled insulated sample containers - which are really just posh lunch boxes.

A few times security at different airports have removed them and scanned them separately - other then that, as others have said, the quantity of liquid will probably be the determine factor on whether it's an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

One caveat, there are significant restrictions with USA flights on "food", so check their site for the specifics, as some things will be refused by US customs, even if you don't intend to disembark before eating, so you may get through airport security only to then run into issues with the US border checks.

It's only to Kerry so I'm definitely good on the customs front unless the Heeley raes have gone and founded their own country while no one was watching
    LiamaDelta wrote:
    Unless there's a lot of liquid it'd be fine. I've brought omelettes through no hassle.

So in othwords soup is out , I assume even if it's frozen?
    However other solid foods are ok

Thanks for the answers guys :)
    I'm going to be flying up and down to kerry semi regularly so being able to have my lunch with me will be fantastic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Is the food that bad in Kerry? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Linford Christie never had any problem with his at airports as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

smurfjed wrote:
    Is the food that bad in Kerry?

Nah , I'm trying to loose weight at the moment so having food with me just makes everything easier :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I’ve successfully brought cartons of chicken vindaloo though Birmingham airport security. This follows on from reading a quote from a BAA honcho, who stated that stews and curries etc, that had a sauce around/supporting a solid food base, didn’t qualify as a liquid/paste/gel as far as security were concerned. Had my doubts, but twice now, and no issues at the scanner. Could just be blind luck.

Disclaimer - habitually transporting vindaloos over the Irish Sea is not necessarily worrying behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

alastair wrote: »
    Disclaimer - habitually transporting vindaloos over the Irish Sea is not necessarily worrying behaviour.

Perhaps not, but I suggest that the incipient flatulence could be lethal!

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement
Advertisement