Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vegans are so touchy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

_Dara_ wrote: »
    If they are talking about chickens and pigs, they're likely right on the money. These animals are for the most part intensively-farmed and it ain't pretty. And I say that as a meat-eater.
    Fair point, chickens in particular. If look enough, you can find better sources for pork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

vegetables are hardly a good example of what good practice is. look at the amount of forcing going on or the chemicals used to ripen them . roundup is used to ripen wheet and barley so that it all can ripen at the same time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

vegetables are hardly a good example of what good practice is.

No food production method is perfect. But some people just can't eat another living thing. I am conflicted on it myself but I just don't like fruit and veg enough to eat them in a large abundance. Many vegans and veggies I know grow a lot of their own veg.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Where did all the vegan bashing come out of all of a sudden ?

High profile pro vegan ad campaign last year that annoyed lots of people. Do you remember the baby pig pics on buses and hoardings?

No food production method is perfect. But some people just can't eat another living thing. I am conflicted on it myself but I just don't like fruit and veg enough to eat them in a large abundance. Many vegans and veggies I know grow a lot of their own veg.

yes , a lot of genuine vegies and vegans grow their own.
    these are usualy the ones that you don't hear barking at other people for their choices

it is the other type that you hear. the loud mothed ones that are only doing it for attention . these are the ones that expect the shops and restaurants to change everything to suite them

yes , a lot of genuine vegies and vegans grow their own.
    these are usualy the ones that you don't hear barking at other people for their choices

In my experience, very few do any barking outside of social media. And are matched for people mouthing off about preachy vegans/vegetarians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Where did all the vegan bashing come out of all of a sudden ?

Vegan diets seems to be in fashion at the moment. Probably due to the Netflix documentaries about animal welfare/going vegan etc..

In my experience, very few do any barking outside of social media. And are matched for people mouthing off about preachy vegans/vegetarians.

your exeperiece is a lot dierent than mine.
    I see vegans acting like this regularly.

your exeperiece is a lot dierent than mine.
    I see vegans acting like this regularly.

You know, I don't believe you. More likely you've met a handful and extrapolated. Or hear preaching from the same few. You've probably met lots of people you never even knew were vegan or vegetarian because they never mentioned it.

• Advertisement

You know, I don't believe you. More likely you've met a handful and extrapolated. Or hear preaching from the same few. You've probably met lots of people you never even knew were vegan or vegetarian because they never mentioned it.

yes your right.
    as I have said several times already . it is only the mouthy ones you hear. there are loads of genuine vegans that you don't hear and don't notice.

my experience is with the handful I know. 1 very well (neighbour of mine) I think its fairly accurate to extrapolate if 100% of the mouth ones talk and act this way.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    High profile pro vegan ad campaign last year that annoyed lots of people. Do you remember the baby pig pics on buses and hoardings?

No, but it sounds delicious.

yes your right.
    as I have said several times already . it is only the mouthy ones you hear. there are loads of genuine vegans that you don't hear and don't notice.

my experience is with the handful I know. 1 very well (neighbour of mine) I think its fairly accurate to extrapolate if 100% of the mouth ones talk and act this way.

Like I said, you only know about the mouthy ones... because they're mouthy.

Like I said, you only know about the mouthy ones... because they're mouthy.

that my point too.
    I dont care what someone believes in. that's their problem. . I have issue when they start mouthing at me or scobbing at my food. I have had to suffer through a few meals because of this crap.
    as I said earlier a few friends of mine had to stop inviting someone out to dinner with us over it. she ruined the meal for everyone

that my point too.
    I dont care what someone believes in. that's their problem. . I have issue when they start mouthing at me or scobbing at my food. I have had to suffer through a few meals because of this crap.
    as I said earlier a few friends of mine had to stop inviting someone out to dinner with us over it. she ruined the meal for everyone

And someone else said he and his wife were hectored at a meal by meat-eaters. Swings and roundabouts.

there are assholes on both side .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I generally don't have any problems with what people eat. PETA type vegans do annoy me though or people who imply that you must hate animals if you eat meat. However, people who lie, exaggerate and basically try to brainwash people in their belief system will irritate me, regardless of what the subject is. Vegan adverts are popping up more and more on my Facebook feed (I guess a friend is a vegan?) and I seen a video from PETA where they showed a giant cyst being lanced on a cows leg, and they cut to a scene with a glass of milk being filled. I thought it was a very lowly and misguiding thing to imply. I'm also not a fan of the vegan adverts being put up around the country.

For the most part, bar the aforementioned situations and the odd Facebook comment, I haven't noticed any real life situation where vegans were that crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Any that I have met have been smelly fairies in worn out scruffy clothes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭davidk1394

If they are talking about chickens and pigs, they're likely right on the money. These animals are for the most part intensively-farmed and it ain't pretty. And I say that as a meat-eater.

They are indoors for all their lives. Factory farms are wrong but unfortunately farmers were in a race to the bottom due to supermarkets so whoever could make money the cheapest way possible survived. I've been on a lot of these type farms in Ireland and to be honest they are very well run, hygienic and provide for all the sensory needs of the animal. Factory farming could be lessened if people were willing to pay for free range chicken or pork.
    I think it's the way PETA go about their way of highlighting their views. They give the impression that if you eat meat your worse than hitler. There is a big difference between Ireland and China for instance. They make out we're both as bad. Animal rights in China are nonexistent and PETA are highlighting the issue. Here in Ireland if you were found guilty of starvation of animals you could get jail time and rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Forget vegan's, the grammar in this thread are annoying I.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DwightSchrute1

GreeBo wrote: »

Irony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

there are assholes on both side .

Except meat eaters don't tell lies to convert vegans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I know a lot of vegans and they are quite active about the whole campaign as in posting videos to promote veganism etc but theyeve never argued with somebody for eating meat or tried to force anyone to not eat meat.
    I suspect it was the aggressive tone of your initial post that made that person reply in that way

And I honestly don't mind vegans talking a lot about being vegan I find it interesting usually, they all have different reason for being vegan and they have more interesting diets than most people too and are usually a lot more aware than most people on issues with the environment and climate change,

GreeBo wrote: »
    Shortage of B vitamins/over consumption of dietary cholesterol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Except meat eaters don't tell lies to convert vegans.

Instead of lying, meat eaters have a large number of people who are either completely ignorant to the damage done by meat production to the environment,and many who disregard the suffering of many animals for meat production

They are indoors for all their lives. Factory farms are wrong but unfortunately farmers were in a race to the bottom due to supermarkets so whoever could make money the cheapest way possible survived. I've been on a lot of these type farms in Ireland and to be honest they are very well run, hygienic and provide for all the sensory needs of the animal.

I grew up near one of the biggest intensive chicken farms in the country. It's horrific, been in it a fair few times including where they house the chickens. Definitely no sensory needs catered for anyway. Probably hygienic enough but in terms of welfare, the standards are shocking. And they comply so that's the minimum standard that has to be met and it's low. And Ireland is better than most countries in this regard. I shudder to think what goes on elsewhere.

So yeah, our sheep and cows have decent welfare standards in general but that's just the half of it. For the amount of chicken and pig products we consume, we simply don't have the space for them all to raised to decent welfare standards. So it's either carry on as we are or eat less of them. Which do you think will happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Irony.

If you look up and squint you might just see the joke passing over your head.

wakka12 wrote: »
    Instead of lying, meat eaters have a large number of people who are either completely ignorant to the damage done by meat production to the environment,and many who disregard the suffering of many animals for meat production

Spoken like a true vegan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

who disregard the suffering of many animals for meat production
    Reason:

Nom nom nom.

:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's always funny when loads of vegans don't even know other vegans, but people like OP are surrounded by ones mouthing off :pac:

Yet it's us vegans that are constantly talked about, can't go one meal without meat without people asking why, are you vegan or something? Or if you are meeting new people somebody will say oh "X is vegan!!".

I never really talk about it unless I am asked and just generally answer questions about it and gladly a lot of people I know have signed up to things like veganuary or just cut back and ask for my help. Even people that said they'd never be vegan, hell I think most vegans have said that, I even remember saying I wouldn't and it's too extreme. I don't think arguing with people really does anything and neither does most of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I love being vegan. I wish I'd done it years ago. It's done wonders for my health and I don't see any negatives so when asked about it if course I'm going to speak about it in glowing terms. People can take it in the spirit it's intended or see it as an attempt at conversion, up to them.

• Advertisement

It's always funny when loads of vegans don't even know other vegans, but people like OP are surrounded by ones mouthing off :pac:

Yet it's us vegans that are constantly talked about, can't go one meal without meat without people asking why, are you vegan or something? Or if you are meeting new people somebody will say oh "X is vegan!!".

I never really talk about it unless I am asked and just generally answer questions about it and gladly a lot of people I know have signed up to things like veganuary or just cut back and ask for my help. Even people that said they'd never be vegan, hell I think most vegans have said that, I even remember saying I wouldn't and it's too extreme. I don't think arguing with people really does anything and neither does most of us.

The op came across them on bookface, he's not surrounded by them. I knew a vegan one time and never questioned them about their food choices I even had tea with soy milk at their place, not my taste but I drank it anyway. Neither of us questioned one another about it unlike the preachy ones on Facebook and YouTube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So, unprompted the OP had a rant against vegans, and then whinges about how vegans are the ones always going on about it :rolleyes:

Seems to me the people who spend the most time talking about veganism are people who hate vegans for no reason.

OP needs to get over himself tbh. Keep your opinion to yourself in future, nobody wants to hear it.

seamus wrote: »
    So, unprompted the OP had a rant against vegans, and then whinges about how vegans are the ones always going on about it :rolleyes:

Seems to me the people who spend the most time talking about veganism are people who hate vegans for no reason.

OP needs to get over himself tbh. Keep your opinion to yourself in future, nobody wants to hear it.

Maybe vegans should advertise their food like is normally done instead of the preaching and lies. By the way the op is giving out about vegans preaching so how does this compare to meat eaters, do you ever see meat eaters preaching about how everyone should eat meat.

do you ever see meat eaters preaching about how everyone should eat meat.
    Yes?

See: Virtually every anti-vegan meme and bord bia advertisement ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

I totally agree but....but... but....Bacon, is there any situation in life that isn't improved by the addition of bacon?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Heart disease? :pac:

Heart disease? :pac:

I would rather die happy than sad

Yes?

See: Virtually every anti-vegan meme and bord bia advertisement ever.

So board Bia are anti vegan, have you any link for that? If you have throw it up here.

So board Bia are anti vegan, have you any link for that? If you have throw it up here.
    I didn't say that.

• Advertisement

I didn't say that.

So board Bia advertising their products is forcing people to eat meat is that what you are trying to say?

eviltwin wrote: »
    I love being vegan. I wish I'd done it years ago. It's done wonders for my health and I don't see any negatives so when asked about it if course I'm going to speak about it in glowing terms. People can take it in the spirit it's intended or see it as an attempt at conversion, up to them.
    Could you not apply the same rationale to just about any diet? Be it vegan, vegetarian, paleo, flexitarian etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

TBF they have a point in relation to animal cruelty etc

The killing of so many dairy/jersey espially bull calves at less than a week or 2 old (and it's well known it geos on)....is something deosnt sit well with me

Recently I worked about animal factories etc and seen what geos on and alot of them animals are mistreated and cruelly treated before being killed....not something I like to be associated with,(despite being a farmer)

And tbh put me off eating meat,and massively reduced amount of meat I eat,and i try have my own meat from now on...

I know this isn't realistic for most people though●_●

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

If its your thing then great im happy for you just dont force it onto others thats all i love my meat and i wont be told by anyone otherwise whether i should eat it or not.

The killing of so many dairy/jersey espially bull calves at less than a week or 2 old (and it's well known it geos on)....is something deosnt sit well with me

Recently I worked about animal factories etc and seen what geos on and alot of them animals are mistreated and cruelly treated before being killed....not something I like to be associated with,(despite being a farmer)

And tbh put me off eating meat,and massively reduced amount of meat I eat,and i try have my own meat from now on...

Jaysus Tom did someone put something in your tea? What meat factories are you talking about? Any meat factories I've been in have never mistreated animals and the killing is humane.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I don’t care what diet you choose to follow within reason - obviously if you’re following a diet that is dangerous to your health that’s different and I’d have no problem telling you that I thought you were causing harm to yourself.

I respect your decision not to eat meat and simply ask that you respect that I do eat if. I love meat, poultry and fish and will not be guilted into changing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Killing bobby calves might happen in NZ, Tom, but I have no knowledge of it happening in Ireland. Every lactating cow must have a corresponding calf and the cost of tags and disposal of calves after birth makes it kinda silly to kill an animal at a loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Jaysus Tom did someone put something in your tea? What meat factories are you talking about? Any meat factories I've been in have never mistreated animals and the killing is humane.

I'd sooner not say...but it was south eastern was all....and put me off anyways....even seeing lads in and around Marts beating animals unnecessary....
    It is something deosnt sit easy with me (much like fox hunting,no issue with killing them...but do have issue with an animal being eaten alive)

@Bulford....ì known of places in ireland where calves do be shot and disposed of correctly....tbh as father says about it,they'll have no luck for it anyway

But that aside milking cows are probably better treated than any animal on earth in vast majority of cases

With the sheer volume of animals that have to be processed, it's unlikely that it goes swimmingly all of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

With the sheer volume of animals that have to be processed, it's unlikely that it goes swimmingly all of the time.

An animal that is stressed before being killed will lead to poor quality meat. It's in the factory best interest to minimise stresses on all animals before being killed to minimise dark cuts and coarse cuts.

Certainly, there are animals that go wild before being killed but there have been huge changes in lairages, handling and procedures in the last 20 years to have animals killed as cleanly and calmly as possible.

As a farmer, I would avoid any facility that I wasn't happy with the handling facilities and general handling when delivering my animals for slaughter. I owe my animals that much at least.

I’m not a vegan but in my opinion vegans have every right to enlighten us as to the uncomfortable realities behind how the meat and animal products we eat are produced. These animals have emotions and the capacity to suffer like we do, even if they lack the capacity for higher level thinking, anticipation of death etc. that we possess. Therefore, if inflicting “unnecessary” harm is immoral, veganism is more moral than “carnism”, especially as it is perfectly possible to obtain adequate nourishment on a vegan diet, (at least it is nowadays).

From reading about human prehistory it seems that our ancestors did eat meat and that an optimal diet for us contains at least some meat. But for most people it just boils down to that they don’t value the mitigating of animals’ suffering enough to forgo doing something they enjoy a lot ie. eating meat. And the fact that nowadays you can separate in your mind the slaughtering of the animal and the picking up the meat in the supermarket and cooking it, makes it much easier to compartmentalise and rationalise the continuing of eating meat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement