Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Young Scientist - is there something fishy? MOD Note in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

BT head of comms reckons we're a shower of trolls

https://twitter.com/PriscillaORegan/status/952954271703732224

In other news, Roger Jnr won his 'Show and Tell' with his 3MW turbine. Thrilled with his colouring book. Timmy McCarthy bawling like the fcuking 5 yr imold baby he is. Fcuking loser.

'Trolls' must be hitting close to the bone for her to come out.

I for one think she's right. I really hate this thread and feel it should be shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

cookie1977 wrote: »
    If you read her twitter feed she very selectively picks and chooses the arguments she's pushing back on and misses the overall issue that in general people have an issue with where the competition is heading (the issue being discussed in this thread).

That's clumsy at best, and disingenuous at worst.

Spoiler: Social Media/PR reps are the ultimate trolls. Unfortunately most organisations behave this way. "Easy" replies always are made first. "Awkward or hard ones" are hopefully drowned in the noise, or cherry picked to soften the neutralise them somewhat.

There are exceptions to the above. Sadly though it is far too few. These days troll is usually assigned to an opion that is "not my opinion" or "an opinion that annoys me"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

I for one think she's right. I really hate this thread and feel it should be shut down.
    You big baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

You could just er opt to not read it?

• Advertisement

Turtwig wrote: »
    You could just er opt to not read it?

Yes I could do that. but i also have a right to contribute and state my view- which I'm doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Yes I could do that. but i also have a right to contribute and state my view- which I'm doing.

Your view or your mothers?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

As does everyone else here, so you want to be here to contribute but want it closed so others can't?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

As does everyone else here, so you want to be here to contribute but want it closed so others can't?

Yep, that's my view. Take it or leave it :)

This is a forum for open debate and not for bigots.

• Advertisement

You can hold a mirror up to yourself on that front so.

Some of the comments from the winner are hard to take. You think that he'd keep his head down after pulling a fast one and not be going around like billy big bollocks. Sad.

Very brave of you picking on 15 year old schoolboys from behind your keyboard.

You can hold a mirror up to yourself on that front so.
    You're the one that wants to shut down debate because you don't like hearing other opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

A lot of voices on here have no problem with the lad that won or the work he put in.

The problem is the vast resources he had. Resources a lot of students don't have access to and therefore have no chance of winning.

A lot of voices on here have no problem with the lad that won or the work he put in.

The problem is the vast resources he had. Resources a lot of students don't have access to and therefore have no chance of winning.

Tell that to TheAnalyst_ - he's the one stating the winner "pulled a fast one" - and the thread title is just a legal case waiting to happen. IMHO, it's trial by social media of a school child. But that obviously isn't an issue for either the posters giving him a dig, or indeed for boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

You're some hypocrite. You want everyone else silenced but "here's my opinion, take it or leave it"

Its not resources, its about his mother. This is her work. 
    If you know anythign about academic research you know how projects are formed. The interplay between junior researcher and the supervisor. 
    He was given a readymade experiment by numbers that she obviously uses with new students. The process is the same and only the plant changes. This is useful as a learning exercise for students and I've been involved in a few myself. 
    His achievement was understanding enough of science to pass an interview.

Nothing massively wrong about it but what is wrong is entering it into a second level competition. The 7,000 euro. The bloody media adulation and then the arrogant interviews after.
    The biggest problem for me are all the other students that never stood a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Tell that to TheAnalyst_ - he's the one stating the winner "pulled a fast one" - and the thread title is just a legal case waiting to happen. IMHO, it's trial by social media of a school child. But that obviously isn't an issue for either the posters giving him a dig, or indeed for boards.ie

No it isn't, you are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

So you've honed in on a tiny tiny aspect of this thread. Now what about the other major aspect of this thread. Do you think that the BTYSTE should stay exactly as it is or do you think there's scope for some reform such as:

creating a somewhat level playing field for all schools
    Putting the focus back on the young scientist and not their third party helpers

What is your opinion on that or would you just prefer to focus on something else which is a very small part of this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭Allinall

If you know anythign about academic research you know how projects are formed. The interplay between junior researcher and the supervisor. 
    He was given a readymade experiment by numbers that she obviously uses with new students. The process is the same and only the plant changes. This is useful as a learning exercise for students and I've been involved in a few myself. 

How do you know all this?

• Advertisement

In other words, "Oh won't somebody think of the children".

Has that been confirmed as a logical fallacy yet?

Allinall wrote: »

How do you know all this?
    I was a researcher for years. Do you think he came up with this on his own and then just used UCC for their lab?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Does this project go on to represent Ireland at the 'Euros?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Does this project go on to represent Ireland at the 'Euros?'

Yes. And they're being held in Dublin this time I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭Allinall

I was a researcher for years. Do you think he came up with this on his own and then just used UCC for their lab?

Not an answer to the question asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

What about all the other 15 year olds who put their heart and hard work into projects that never stood a chance...do You care that they will probably decide to jack it all in because ‘what’s the point?’

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I find your concern for the winning kid laudable.

Its just a pity you dont have as much sympathy for all the 1000s of the other kids that entered, who were shafted along the way.

Allinall wrote: »

Not an answer to the question asked.
    It is. I know what I'm talking about. The link in the very first post is the smoking gun.
    I've

JMNolan wrote: »
    You're some hypocrite. You want everyone else silenced but "here's my opinion, take it or leave it"

No, I want the current "BT Young Scientist a Fraud?" thread closed - if someone wants to open a "How difficult is it to win @ YS, then go ahead.
    JMNolan wrote: »
    No it isn't, you are wrong.

No I'm not, but thanks anyway.
    cookie1977 wrote: »
    So you've honed in on a tiny tiny aspect of this thread. Now what about the other major aspect of this thread. Do you think that the BTYSTE should stay exactly as it is or do you think there's scope for some reform such as:

creating a somewhat level playing field for all schools
    Putting the focus back on the young scientist and not their third party helpers

What is your opinion on that or would you just prefer to focus on something else which is a very small part of this thread?

Great- so open a new thread on YS exhibition- this thread is all about is the current winner of YS a fraud. I don't care what the thread has "developed" into, it's not the original title of the thread. That's my only issue here.

In other words, "Oh won't somebody think of the children".

Has that been confirmed as a logical fallacy yet?

If you want to pick on a 15 year old schoolboy, go knock yourself out- I won't be joining you on that journey. :)

• Advertisement

If you want to pick on a 15 year old schoolboy, go knock yourself out- I won't be joining you on that journey. :)

I don't wish to pick on anybody, be it schoolboy or sanctimonious junior mod on the internet.

Advertisement