Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Young Scientist - is there something fishy? MOD Note in OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

"I felt almost like a puppet. The hands and feet were moving but you almost feel like it's not you,” he said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If that's not a cry for help I don't know what is!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

sullivlo wrote: »
    As somebody who has:
    - won the young scientist myself
    - supervised/mentored a project that won two significant prizes
    - worked at the young scientist
    - provided assistance with reagents/equipment to projects over the years
    - judged at science competitions

... I have some strong opinions on this topic, and am in a good position to comment.

Is it suspicious? Absolutely.

Is there a chance that parents/teachers had a say in the project? Yes.

Are there students out there that are just amazing and use their own initiative and contacts to get help? 100%.

When my students won, I was gobsmacked at the list of people that they had contacted for help. Not for the people to do the experiment, but for help with a technique or a technical aspect of the project. In the same way that when I was in academia I would help students who contacted me.

At the event, students are subjected to judging by experts in a field, and they are grilled to ensure that they did the work themselves, and it is quickly very obvious as to what they actually did and what anybody else did.

I spoke this years winner during the week. I did a postdoc position on a similar project so I had a genuine interest in it, and a good knowledge of the techniques he used. The kid is great, and he 100% did the work himself. Did his family help? Absolutely. His family inspired him through discussion, and would have aided him in his choice of interest by discussing their own work at home over the years.

There were several other incredible projects on display this year. Projects that, on paper, were better than the winning projects. But within two minutes it was obvious to anyone with any significant science background that somebody else did the work.

Sometimes people just have a passion for it, and they know what to do and they do it. When I won, it was in a field unfamiliar to my teacher, so it was my own/my groups work. When my students won, I felt like a fraud when people congratulated me, because my function was to sign the forms and proof read their work as I hadn’t a clue what they were up to. When students would cold-call me and ask if they could use something in the lab, the answer was always yes, and I would help them in any way that I could.

In conclusion/TL/DR: it is suspicious, but from experience sometimes kids are just *that* good at science.

Have to disagree on a number of points .

1. They are not all judged by experts in the field. They are judged by experts in the category, so quite often a you'll get a judge who knows very little about your specific topic.

2. Judges give their marks immediately after their judging on a special sheet. This is then given to the committee. They are forbidden to alter marks after that. They don't go googling it after as they are told they mark what they see and here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

If the OPs suspicions were deemed correct, Id be very underwhelmed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

diomed wrote: »
    Year School
    1995 Abbey Grammar School, Newry
    1993 Abbey Grammar School, Newry, Co. Down

1977 Colaiste Mhuire, Dublin
    1972 Coláiste Mhuire, Baile Atha Cliath

2013 Kinsale Community School, Cork
    2006 Kinsale Community School, County Cork
    2009 Kinsale Community School, County Cork

1999 Scoil Mhuire Gan Smál, Blarney
    2010 Scoil Mhuire Gan Smál, Blarney, County Cork

1975 St Finian’s College, Mullingar, Co. Westmeath
    2003 St Finnian's College, Mullingar, County Westmeath

2004 Synge Street CBS, Dublin
    2007 Synge Street CBS, Dublin
    2012 Synge Street CBS, Dublin

43 years of the contest, 14 won by multiple school winners.
    723 secondary schools in Ireland.

Some use an American model of pairing with universities etc. Kinsale and synge street are notorious at young scientist for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,673 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

_Dara_ wrote: »
    There’s a Cork Echo article in the google results that mentions his parents in the google-visible bit (mother is called Brigid apparently) but click on it and it appears to have been removed.

Very back to the future esqe. Martys family disappearing from the photograph while he's playing in the band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Well done Dad! Was how one of my homework offerings was marked when I was a bout 6/7 years old.

Still,better than a note on one of my effort at science when I was about 10 - "Even you can do better than this".
    Teacher was clearly not of the build-their-confidence persuasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The Collison brothers are certainly living the life, still making millions upon millions on the back of their parents Young Scientists work if theories here are applied.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,130 ✭✭✭✭beertons

This has been going on for years, kids showing their parents work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Have to disagree on a number of points .

1. They are not all judged by experts in the field. They are judged by experts in the category, so quite often a you'll get a judge who knows very little about your specific topic.

2. Judges give their marks immediately after their judging on a special sheet. This is then given to the committee. They are forbidden to alter marks after that. They don't go googling it after as they are told they mark what they see and here.

The judges discuss their findings in the group and discuss who is in contention, then more judges go.

And I wouldn’t consider myself an expert in biology but I could understand the projects and ask questions. It’s not a PhD viva like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

My engineering teacher said to us 20 years ago, "if the teachers and parents want to have a competition to see who has the best projects then they should just leave the kids out of it".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

My grandfather was a great carpenter, my dad was a great carpenter.. And now apparently I'm a great carpenter!?
    Just saying....

There’s a difference between practical work and theory/discussion. If you’re in an environment where science is discussed over dinner, you’Re more likely to have an interest. And if your grandfather showed you how to use a jigsaw to make a table when you were 5 and it continued over the years, I reckon you would have an advantage over your peers in woodwork at school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,046 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I think the OP has an excellent point, and now I get to use one of my favourite words.

She is clearly continuing HER work, or specific field of interest vicariously* through her son.

*what a word.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

The only believable winners are the IT/code related projects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

The only believable winners are the IT/code related projects.

But they are boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

I think the OP has an excellent point, and now I get to use one of my favourite words.

She is clearly continuing HER work, or specific field of interest vicariously* through her son.

*what a word.

Well it wouldn't be a proper conspiracy without the clergy in on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

Well, well, what a pretty picture Father Crilly has painted! How dare you bring shame on this celebration of sheep!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,142 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I would have thought it more believable with his mother in the same field. Tbh

My dad was a plumber and just from being around him as a child I had a good knowledge of plumbing long before I got into it myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

As somebody who has:
    - won the young scientist myself
    - supervised/mentored a project that won two significant prizes
    - worked at the young scientist
    - provided assistance with reagents/equipment to projects over the years
    - judged at science competitions

... I have some strong opinions on this topic, and am in a good position to comment.

Is it suspicious? Absolutely.

Is there a chance that parents/teachers had a say in the project? Yes.

Are there students out there that are just amazing and use their own initiative and contacts to get help? 100%.

When my students won, I was gobsmacked at the list of people that they had contacted for help. Not for the people to do the experiment, but for help with a technique or a technical aspect of the project. In the same way that when I was in academia I would help students who contacted me.

At the event, students are subjected to judging by experts in a field, and they are grilled to ensure that they did the work themselves, and it is quickly very obvious as to what they actually did and what anybody else did.

I spoke this years winner during the week. I did a postdoc position on a similar project so I had a genuine interest in it, and a good knowledge of the techniques he used. The kid is great, and he 100% did the work himself. Did his family help? Absolutely. His family inspired him through discussion, and would have aided him in his choice of interest by discussing their own work at home over the years.

There were several other incredible projects on display this year. Projects that, on paper, were better than the winning projects. But within two minutes it was obvious to anyone with any significant science background that somebody else did the work.

Sometimes people just have a passion for it, and they know what to do and they do it. When I won, it was in a field unfamiliar to my teacher, so it was my own/my groups work. When my students won, I felt like a fraud when people congratulated me, because my function was to sign the forms and proof read their work as I hadn’t a clue what they were up to. When students would cold-call me and ask if they could use something in the lab, the answer was always yes, and I would help them in any way that I could.

In conclusion/TL/DR: it is suspicious, but from experience sometimes kids are just *that* good at science.

3699b1bcbee0a56a1a22754c5b731a64-1.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I would have thought it more believable with his mother in the same field. Tbh

My dad was a plumber and just from being around him as a child I had a good knowledge of plumbing long before I got into it myself

I’m not saying the lad didn’t do the work but what I find strange is that his mother supervised another student to carry out a study on a wild flower to fight MRSA 11 years ago, he is using plants found in the back garden to do the same. If it was unique then great but this has been done with similar plants and too not mention the mother who is highly regarded in this field is also strange. Do I think he cheated ? I honestly don’t know looks more a case of it’s not what you know but who you know.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,253 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Some use an American model of pairing with universities etc. Kinsale and synge street are notorious at young scientist for this.

Are you saying that there is something wrong with a school pairing up with a university?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,854 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

My grandfather was a great carpenter, my dad was a great carpenter.. And now apparently I'm a great carpenter!?
    Just saying....

What's happening jesus...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Children from privileged backgrounds can't cheat, it's genetics. Even if they did, their parents are probably pillars of the local community so that would cancel it out anyhow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,142 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

mfceiling wrote:
    What's happening jesus...

He was a carpenter too I believe. :)

I just think the papers didn't give details of the mother's work because the info wasn't volunteered.
    Maybe the kid didn't think her work carried any importance :pac:

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    He was a carpenter too I believe. :)

Well his 'dad' was anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Its majes a sh1t of all the kids that enter honestly in the spirit of the thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

beertons wrote: »
    This has been going on for years, kids showing their parents work.

Also inventing things that have been around for years. Two examples would be yourman with the hobo stove and the two farmers sons with the Californian mastitis test kit.

I spoke this years winner during the week. I did a postdoc position on a similar project so I had a genuine interest in it, and a good knowledge of the techniques he used. The kid is great, and he 100% did the work himself. 

The kid sounds clueless.
    "These are organic, they don’t harbour any toxicity that you may get from industrialised antibiotics," he said.

• Advertisement

Organic and toxicity in the same sentence... definitely influenced by a herbalist.

Advertisement