Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ham Joint

Options
  • 14-01-2018 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭

So myself and the OH picked up a joint of Ham, its 1kg...

But we don't know whats the best way to cook it. We would use some for a dinner and the rest for sandwiches and/or make a pie.

Whats the best way to cook it?

Just boil it in water???

All suggestions very much welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Oven bake is 20 mins per lb plus 20 mins (1kg is about an hour and five mins cooking at 180c)

You can boil it too for about an hour or so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

vicwatson wrote: »
    Oven bake is 20 mins per lb plus 20 mins

You can boil it too for about an hour or so

can you suggest any seasoning that works well, or just as it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Boil it 20 mins to the lb. Then put it in the oven for a bit. Havent any time length. I tend to do it by guesswork.
    You could rub honey or mustard or cloves or whatever takes your fancy. I tend to leave ours as it is. We prefer it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭nhg

I normally steep it in water overnight, throw off that water, add fresh water to cover & bring to the boil & again throw off that water.... Then I cook the ham in apple juice (if the apple juice doesn't cover the joint top up with water) for 20 mins to the 1lb + an additional 20 mins & then remove from the apple juice & place in a warm oven & allow to rest prior to carving... With ham I prefer to overlook rather than undercook.

Sometimes with the Christmas Day ham I cook as above & then put in a baking tray & pour a can of bulmers over it & bake for about 20 mins then allow to rest... Only time bulmers ever gets used in our house....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Definitely would not roast straight off ...boil it first and then finish off in oven .. melt some butter mix in English mustard and honey and maybe a few cloves and pore over..let the glacé darken a fair bit...
    With anything left over make a nice ham and pea soup ,,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The vast majority of hams nowadays are not so salty and don't require soaking/changing water if boiling (simmering, really).
    If you're going to oven cook your ham, though, I would recommend soaking it first.

I usually boil it in water with carrot, celery, onion, bayleaf and thyme. I like to glaze it with just honey and mustard and finish it in a hot oven. (take off skin, if present, but leave a layer of fat and stud this with cloves)

Keep your cooking liquid. Take out the thyme and bayleaf, add a pack of frozen peas, bring to the boil and blitz. Pea and ham soup!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I always just boil it, I don't think finishing in the oven adds anything (not a fan of glazed ham). I usually boil it in cider instead of water.

As you said, you could use some for lunches and the rest for a pie or something. I went through a ham & cheese gateau pithivier phase a few years back but had to wean myself off it before I ended up having to buy a whole new wardrobe!

You could also pull/flake some of it and make a terrine or even ham croquettes. Avoca used to do a gorgeous winter salad with ham croquettes in it.

Or, you could cut in half and stick half in the freezer for later if you think you might struggle to use the whole thing.

It’s only 1kg

vicwatson wrote:
    It’s only 1kg

I find ham goes much farther than other meats. The two of us would certainly struggle to eat a kilo of ham in a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Simmer for an hour then slather with equal parts wholegrain mustard and brown sugar or honey, then bake for 20-30 minutes at 180c :)

Don't soak it first - hams are low salt nowadays and it will be tasteless if you do.

It freezes really well so I usually slice up the leftovers and freeze for lunches.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I find ham goes much farther than other meats. The two of us would certainly struggle to eat a kilo of ham in a few days.

But itll last over a week

vicwatson wrote:
    But itll last over a week

I'd be bored of it after a few days in a row.

Each to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I'd be bored of it after a few days in a row.

Each to their own.

It’s very versatile as some posters have suggested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

We love ham here. I don't steep overnight anymore as butchers have said that the ham is not as salty as it was years ago, they've reduced it a lot. I boil it 20 mins per lb plus 20 mins. When it comes to the boil I keep an eye on it and keep skimming all the froth off. When its cooked I just slice and eat with mash and veggies and maybe parsley sauce. We would have the same the next day. Any small left overs I add to Spanish Omelette or Quiche.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I usually boil mine (gently!) with some flavourings in the water - peppercorns, cloves, allspice berries and a teaspoon of sugar.
    When it's done, drain it and put on a tin plate. You may now glaze it, (lots of suggestions above) and bake until hot and golden all over. Thisd is not an essential step, by the way.
    Cool a little before serving - the meat sets, makes it easier to carve.
    Yummy dinner and tasty sambos to come! Bon Appétit!

PS They were right who said that if you are going to bake from scratch, it ought to be steeped first to get some salt out. This doesn't apply when cooking in water.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

We boil it in coke, with some spices and finish in the oven.

Advertisement